Posted 04 January 2019 - 02:35 PM

No its just a recommendation for the whole system

#103 Grus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 02:36 PM

Well... i guess thats a blessing. Should be just fine to get a 750w then. Little less expensive.

#104 MrVaad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 300 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 04 January 2019 - 02:38 PM

Yes, but don't skip on the quality, get a good brand, GOLD or above (not bronze if possible)

#105 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 02:43 PM

I like EVGA so supernova gold it is.

#106 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 04 January 2019 - 02:45 PM

View PostMrVaad, on 04 January 2019 - 02:38 PM, said:

Yes, but don't skip on the quality, get a good brand, GOLD or above (not bronze if possible)

Honestly, the wattage savings from gold to bronze is not that big. Bronze is absolutely fine to use.

Now if you are throwing together a $4000 dollar rig, then sure what is another $30 bucks to have the very the best psu. But if you are like our boy Grus here, buying a bronze PSU would be recommended so that money can be allocated towards better chip, board or ram.

Edited by Jackal Noble, 04 January 2019 - 02:47 PM.

#107 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 04 January 2019 - 02:51 PM

Currently up on EVGA's B-stock they have a 750 gold fully modular for 69.99.

Otherwise you could save $20 and get a 750 bronze for 49.99. Tbh 650 for a mild system is plenty but a 750 can be got for about the same price.

#108 MrVaad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 300 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 04 January 2019 - 02:51 PM

View PostJackal Noble, on 04 January 2019 - 02:45 PM, said:

Honestly, the wattage savings from gold to bronze is not that big. Bronze is absolutely fine to use.

Now if you are throwing together a $4000 dollar rig, then sure what is another $30 bucks to have the very the best psu. But if you are like our boy Grus here, buying a bronze PSU would be recommended so that money can be allocated towards better chip, board or ram.

That's true, if you can shave 30$ by going bronze, put them on the CPU/motherboard.
When my budget was tight, i always bought used or B-Stock.

Edited by MrVaad, 04 January 2019 - 02:55 PM.

#109 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 04 January 2019 - 02:58 PM

View PostGrus, on 04 January 2019 - 02:26 PM, said:

Well like i said earlier, that video card i linked requires a min of 550w by its self.. and the psu i have right now is only 350w lol

Also, i really do hope the intell chip prices drop a good chunk. Otherwise ill have to stick with AMD and just suck it up for this game.

Ya no, as Vlaad kind of mentioned earlier as well as shown in the links he supplied, don't misinterpret the 550w value shown for the 580 card you have. That is the recommended value for the PSU for the entire system (cpu, gpu, ram, mobo, hd etc), not the total draw of the card itself - goodness that would be crazy. The 650-750 range everyone is throwing out is just the safest bet and in some cases way more than enough power for what I am imagining you are going to be building.

#110 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 04:41 PM

Now the B stock says they are refub items, so does that mean i need to get the connection cords elsewhere?

#111 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 04 January 2019 - 04:51 PM

View PostGrus, on 04 January 2019 - 04:41 PM, said:

Now the B stock says they are refub items, so does that mean i need to get the connection cords elsewhere?

No, read the whole thing. They come with everything you need, and what's better is that they state that they are brought up to performance standard - which from the manufacturer is trustworthy. Further, B-stock does not necessarily mean refurb.

Edited by Jackal Noble, 04 January 2019 - 04:52 PM.

#112 Cyanogene

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 103 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 04:54 PM

You need to get your settings to low, especially everything that deals with particle effects. Also, try overclocking the CPU, it could give you a small boost. However, you should consider buying a new CPU. AMD currently dominates the market in terms of value for money. That being said, this game has atrocious code and the framerates will not be stable even on powerful rigs.

#113 The Lighthouse

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 08:55 PM

So 150 150 for CPU and Mobo. As others said, you are pretty stuck at Ryzen really.

You said it yourself, but it would be good to wait til next week when AMD CES Keynote happens. If all these leaks are correct, Ryzen 3300X would be excellent choice for sub-150 CPU.

Or you can try grab older stuffs that would happen. I suspect there will be some decent Zen+ CPU and some Intel sales after AMD announcement...

On an unrelated topic, today I was working on an old Dell Optiplex 7020 SFF for one of my servers build, until it decided that it hated me and tried to kill me via electrocution. As always super cheap power supply is the culprit. One of the reasons why I do not like prebuilt from big companies and I always spend decent money on power supplies...

#114 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 04 January 2019 - 11:56 PM

View PostThe Lighthouse, on 04 January 2019 - 08:55 PM, said:

So 150 150 for CPU and Mobo. As others said, you are pretty stuck at Ryzen really.

You said it yourself, but it would be good to wait til next week when AMD CES Keynote happens. If all these leaks are correct, Ryzen 3300X would be excellent choice for sub-150 CPU.

Or you can try grab older stuffs that would happen. I suspect there will be some decent Zen+ CPU and some Intel sales after AMD announcement...

On an unrelated topic, today I was working on an old Dell Optiplex 7020 SFF for one of my servers build, until it decided that it hated me and tried to kill me via electrocution. As always super cheap power supply is the culprit. One of the reasons why I do not like prebuilt from big companies and I always spend decent money on power supplies...

Yeah, rumors are the Ryzen 3 chips can hit 5.0Ghz, so along with their improved IPC almost catching up to Intel, if the clock speeds also catch Intel, it's gonna be amazing.

#115 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 11:21 AM

Yeah im gonna wait untill next week before i really start getting serious about a mono and cpu. Getting a psu right now so i can use my video card i bought, then when i have enough money a new mobo and cpu.

#116 The Lighthouse

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 12:48 PM

View PostGrus, on 05 January 2019 - 11:21 AM, said:

Yeah im gonna wait untill next week before i really start getting serious about a mono and cpu. Getting a psu right now so i can use my video card i bought, then when i have enough money a new mobo and cpu.

Yes, you should wait.

I am swimming around my home country's (Korea) hardware websites and forums, and there are musings that distributors got their Zen 2 sample and supposedly the sample's performance is incredible.

I think Zen 2 CPUs won't be immediately available at Jan 9, but within a month they will be.

#117 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 01:14 PM

View PostThe Lighthouse, on 05 January 2019 - 12:48 PM, said:

Yes, you should wait.

I am swimming around my home country's (Korea) hardware websites and forums, and there are musings that distributors got their Zen 2 sample and supposedly the sample's performance is incredible.

I think Zen 2 CPUs won't be immediately available at Jan 9, but within a month they will be.

Thanks for the intell. I miss Korea.. such good food!!!

#118 Dashwood Fox

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 110 posts
  • LocationHamilton, ON

Posted 06 January 2019 - 04:56 PM

On the subject of getting better FPS, I'm looking at upgrading. I'm salvaging a few parts from my old machine for now but am looking at buying the following...

First thing is a cpu and mobo. My budget for them combined is around $600 CAD ($480 USD). Any recommendations? I'll only be using this rig for MWO and a few other games.

I'll use my GTX 660 to start but would look at upgrading that too to something in the $400 CAD ($300 USD) range.

Cheers,
-Dash

#119 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 07 January 2019 - 12:21 AM

View PostDashwood Fox, on 06 January 2019 - 04:56 PM, said:

On the subject of getting better FPS, I'm looking at upgrading. I'm salvaging a few parts from my old machine for now but am looking at buying the following...

First thing is a cpu and mobo. My budget for them combined is around $600 CAD ($480 USD). Any recommendations? I'll only be using this rig for MWO and a few other games.

I'll use my GTX 660 to start but would look at upgrading that too to something in the $400 CAD ($300 USD) range.

Cheers,
-Dash

Here you go $600 CAD, that's CPU + cooler + motherboard + new RAM: https://ca.pcpartpic...com/list/BtwgyX

Edit: I'm not sure why it lists a video card in there, but it's not part of the price.

If you had $700, you could pick up an i5 (K) model, or if you weren't planning on primary MWO, I'd say go ryzen.

Edited by Vxheous, 07 January 2019 - 12:29 AM.

#120 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 06:04 AM

I have a evga 750w gold psu ordered. That way I can at least use the video card I bought until I can buy a CPU and mobo.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users