#121 Vxheous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 07 January 2019 - 07:01 AM

View PostGrus, on 07 January 2019 - 06:04 AM, said:

I have a evga 750w gold psu ordered. That way I can at least use the video card I bought until I can buy a CPU and mobo.

An EVGA superNOVA right? Different EVGA lines are manufactured by different companies, the superNOVA line is built by Super Flower, which is a really good company, some of the others aren't as good.

#122 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 08:33 AM

View PostVxheous, on 07 January 2019 - 07:01 AM, said:

An EVGA superNOVA right? Different EVGA lines are manufactured by different companies, the superNOVA line is built by Super Flower, which is a really good company, some of the others aren't as good.

Yep :)

#123 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 09:34 PM

View PostNRP, on 31 December 2018 - 07:14 PM, said:

If I remember correctly, this version of CryEngine is not multithreaded,

no

#124 MrVaad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 300 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 09 January 2019 - 01:57 AM

View PostNRP, on 31 December 2018 - 07:14 PM, said:

If I remember correctly, this version of CryEngine is not multithreaded, so the game performance is limited by the CPU's single threaded performance. So how many cores a CPU has doesn't really matter. The CPU architecture and clock speed matter more for this game.

Please, stop spreading this nonsense Posted Image

1. The cryengine has always been multithreaded. This one uses mainly 4-5 cores and creates 10s of threads (across all cores)
2. In total, MWO starts more than 75 threads (and probably 30 are from the cryengine)
3. Seeing low fps when CPU and GPU are not at 100% does not *always* mean you are cpu limited.
4. This game has some problems with assets/effects in some maps (too many drawcalls), shader activation, sounds, physics saturation, etc. But it's not a multithread engine problem.

Edited by MrVaad, 09 January 2019 - 04:25 AM.

#125 Galaxie 500

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 04:20 AM

If only a game client update dropped your FPS like that, you don't need to replace your computer, just go through the full, long version of doing a complete video driver cleanout and fresh driver install. And if your latest driver version still is no good after that, do the process again but with an earlier driver version that you know worked well.

#126 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 January 2019 - 07:18 AM

View PostMrVaad, on 09 January 2019 - 01:57 AM, said:

1. The cryengine has always been multithreaded. This one uses mainly 4-5 cores and creates 10s of threads (across all cores)
2. In total, MWO starts more than 75 threads (and probably 30 are from the cryengine)
3. Seeing low fps when CPU and GPU are not at 100% does not *always* mean you are cpu limited.
4. This game has some problems with assets/effects in some maps (too many drawcalls), shader activation, sounds, physics saturation, etc. But it's not a multithread engine problem.

I was specifically referring to CryEngine's renderer not being multithreaded. Specifically, the renderer is "draw call limited", which is almost entirely a CPU bottleneck (CPU can't feed the GPU fast enough). This is a common limitation in many game engine renderers.

DX12 offers some options for renderers to better exploit multiple core CPUs (and I think even have the GPU do some draw call setup), but as far as I am aware MWO doesn't use these new DX features. As a result, the CPU becomes the primary bottleneck for getting higher FPS.

Edited by NRP, 09 January 2019 - 07:46 AM.

#127 The Lighthouse

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 06:34 PM

So the AMD presentation was over... oh boy the things are really looking bad.

The whole presentation is for investors as I suspected, except AMD managed to do even worse than my relatively low expectation. Once again AMD is betting for yet another wrong bet on their future (clould gaming) which will probably bite them really hard. At least they didn't (more like could not afford to) spend too much on VR.

Actually, even investors don't think it was a good presentation, seeing how AMD stock responded.

Well Grus, good news is that if you build PC right now, your setup will probably last for a while.

For CPU, I do see Ryzen 1500X is actually 150 dollars right now, which is a bit better than Ryzen 2200G. Slightly better turbo clocks and extra 8 threads do make difference. Of course 2200G has integrated graphic, but you already have a graphic card.

Then you get the motherboard... probably B450 chipset.

Or go 1600X which does bring some more clocks, but they are a bit out of your budget.

#128 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 06:46 PM

The stock drop was likely due to the fact that AMD didn't release Navi, but instead a consumer-oriented, Vega-based MI50 video card to compete with the RTX series, and they are releasing for the same price as the competition with less features and an uncertain level of performance.

The CPU side of things, though, is quite rosy. Can't say the same for Intel, TBQH.

Edited by Y E O N N E, 09 January 2019 - 06:47 PM.

#129 FuzzyLog1c

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 116 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 06:58 PM

View PostMrVaad, on 09 January 2019 - 01:57 AM, said:

Correct. CryEngine is well-optimized. PGI in their ignorance changed the default CryEngine job system to run all the heavy threads (i.e. main, physics, streaming, and particles) on just 2 cores. If you're getting massive framerate drops when you move, but good framerate standing still, try this for a 6+ core hyperthreaded CPU:

r_MultiThreaded = 1
sys_job_system_enable = 1
sys_job_system_max_worker = 6
e_AutoPrecacheCgfMaxTasks = 6
r_ShadersAsyncMaxThreads = 6
e_ParticlesThread = 6
e_StatObjMergeUseThread = 5
sys_limit_phys_thread_count = 0
sys_main_CPU = 8
sys_physics_CPU = 4
sys_streaming_CPU = 5
ca_thread = 1
ca_thread0Affinity = 12
ca_thread1Affinity = 6
sys_TaskThread0_CPU = 2
sys_TaskThread1_CPU = 10
sys_TaskThread2_CPU = 6
sys_TaskThread3_CPU = 10
sys_TaskThread4_CPU = 2
sys_TaskThread5_CPU = 8
r_WaterUpdateThread = 8
sys_streaming_CPU = 8
p_num_threads = 4
p_num_jobs = 6

For a different core counts, you'll have to do the hard work yourself to analyze and load balance.

Edited by FuzzyLog1c, 09 January 2019 - 07:00 PM.

#130 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 07:05 PM

View PostFuzzyLog1c, on 09 January 2019 - 06:58 PM, said:

Correct. CryEngine is well-optimized. PGI in their ignorance changed the default CryEngine job system to run all the heavy threads (i.e. main, physics, streaming, and particles) on just 2 cores. If you're getting massive framerate drops when you move, but good framerate standing still, try this for a 6+ core hyperthreaded CPU:

r_MultiThreaded = 1
e_ParticlesThread = 6
sys_main_CPU = 8
sys_physics_CPU = 4
sys_streaming_CPU = 5
ca_thread = 1
ca_thread0Affinity = 12
ca_thread1Affinity = 6
sys_TaskThread0_CPU = 2
sys_TaskThread1_CPU = 10
sys_TaskThread2_CPU = 6
sys_TaskThread3_CPU = 10
sys_TaskThread4_CPU = 2
sys_TaskThread5_CPU = 8
r_WaterUpdateThread = 8
sys_streaming_CPU = 8
p_num_threads = 4
p_num_jobs = 6

For a different core counts, you'll have to do the hard work yourself to analyze and load balance.

I'm curious, what do you set it if you only have 4 core 4 thread (I don't get frame drops, but just to mess around)

Edited by Vxheous, 09 January 2019 - 07:06 PM.

#131 The Lighthouse

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 08:00 PM

View PostY E O N N E, on 09 January 2019 - 06:46 PM, said:

The stock drop was likely due to the fact that AMD didn't release Navi, but instead a consumer-oriented, Vega-based MI50 video card to compete with the RTX series, and they are releasing for the same price as the competition with less features and an uncertain level of performance.

The CPU side of things, though, is quite rosy. Can't say the same for Intel, TBQH.

I would not say it is rosy though. Too close for Intel Ice Lake release later this year.

#132 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 09:13 PM

View PostThe Lighthouse, on 09 January 2019 - 08:00 PM, said:

I would not say it is rosy though. Too close for Intel Ice Lake release later this year.

You mean at the end of the year? Frankly, that's not worth waiting for, especially because it will be immature and unavailable at reasonable prices. Ryzen 3000 has a tighter release window than Ice Lake does and, when Ice Lake does come out, we can say the same thing about the upcoming Ryzen 4000-series parts that you are saying about Ice Lake.

Pick your entry point, and go, or you will always be waiting.

#133 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 02:37 PM

r_MultiThreaded = 1
e_ParticlesThread = 6
sys_main_CPU = 8
sys_physics_CPU = 4
sys_streaming_CPU = 5
ca_thread = 1
ca_thread0Affinity = 12
ca_thread1Affinity = 6
sys_TaskThread0_CPU = 2
sys_TaskThread1_CPU = 10
sys_TaskThread2_CPU = 6
sys_TaskThread3_CPU = 10
sys_TaskThread4_CPU = 2
sys_TaskThread5_CPU = 8
r_WaterUpdateThread = 8
sys_streaming_CPU = 8
p_num_threads = 4
p_num_jobs = 6

So for us non programmer folks... how do you input this?

#134 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 06:05 PM

View PostGrus, on 11 January 2019 - 02:37 PM, said:

So for us non programmer folks... how do you input this?

make a user.cfg file in your mechwarrior online folder, and copy/paste that in. The numbers are different though for different core/thread CPUs, that one is meant for a 6 core/12 thread CPU.

#135 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 06:19 PM

r_MultiThreaded = 1
e_ParticlesThread = 6
sys_main_CPU = 8
sys_physics_CPU = 4
sys_streaming_CPU = 5
ca_thread = 1
ca_thread0Affinity = 12
ca_thread1Affinity = 6
sys_TaskThread0_CPU = 2
sys_TaskThread1_CPU = 10
sys_TaskThread2_CPU = 6
sys_TaskThread3_CPU = 10
sys_TaskThread4_CPU = 2
sys_TaskThread5_CPU = 8
r_WaterUpdateThread = 8
sys_streaming_CPU = 8
p_num_threads = 4
p_num_jobs = 6

Think that config would that cfg be good for an I7 990X?

I don't think anything is going to help the fact I'm still on a GTX480 and only have 8gb of ram.

#136 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 06:21 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 11 January 2019 - 06:19 PM, said:

Think that config would that cfg be good for an I7 990X?

I don't think anything is going to help the fact I'm still on a GTX480 and only have 8gb of ram.

yeah, that should work for the i7 990X, but not sure how much more it'll help you (can't hurt). If it gives you worse performance, you can always just delete it.

Edited by Vxheous, 11 January 2019 - 06:21 PM.

#137 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 January 2019 - 06:48 PM

I'm looking at upgrading to an i7-9700k system. Maybe. Probably.

#138 Stinger554

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 383 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:25 PM

View PostNRP, on 11 January 2019 - 06:48 PM, said:

I'd wait for the 3rd gen Ryzens to come out before deciding to upgrade CPUs at the moment cause those are looking pretty good. They are supposed to come out mid-2019 according to AMD.

Edited by Stinger554, 11 January 2019 - 10:25 PM.

#139 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 January 2019 - 12:36 AM

View PostNRP, on 11 January 2019 - 06:48 PM, said:

If you want something right now, its a good choice.

Waiting for something newer means waiting till summer for AMD or end of year for Intel.
So that is some time still.

You're not going to regret getting a 9700K, gonna be good for MWO/MW5 and games like Cyberpunk 2077. Or any game really.
8 cores, 8 threads is nothing to sneeze at, got high base and boost clocks.
All good.

Just do buy RAM with 3000/3200 speed, just the speed where you don't have to spent too much money on for an upgrade in speed (like 3000 is like 15 bucks more then 2133 or so)

BTW, its fun to use all core enhancement on Z boards, as that feature boosts all cores to max turbo, not just 1 or 2.

#140 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 09:39 AM

View PostVxheous, on 11 January 2019 - 06:05 PM, said:

make a user.cfg file in your mechwarrior online folder, and copy/paste that in. The numbers are different though for different core/thread CPUs, that one is meant for a 6 core/12 thread CPU.

Ah ok, I have 6 cores but don't know how many threads it has.. but I'll give it a shot, I mean I was running sub 20fps last night anyways.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users