#21 Peter2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 January 2019 - 06:43 AM

View PostNRP, on 31 December 2018 - 02:34 PM, said:

Not sure if the Ryzen architecture fixed that or not.

It did, if you would clock a 4 core 8 thread Intel the same as a 4 core 8 thread Ryzen then you are the same in about all metrics.

Except Intel can boost these days to 5Ghz and Ryzen (second gen) tops out at 4.3 or so, and Ryzen can get more cores for cheaper.

However all more modern games scale well with more cores, so a Ryzen is usually a fine piece of Hardware.

View PostNRP, on 31 December 2018 - 02:34 PM, said:

Are there any benchmarks for MWO

No, and even if, in testing grounds you easily have double the fps then in actual gameplay, and then its the dips that are worst.
And MWO is so custom you cant really compare to even older CryEngine games

I think Tarl Cabot did a few when Ryzen was new, keeping track over gaming sessions

Edited by Peter2k, 01 January 2019 - 06:52 AM.

#22 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 01 January 2019 - 06:45 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 31 December 2018 - 07:46 PM, said:

He clocked it at 3.9 ghz. For a 2012 game, if a 3.9 ghz CPU is not enough, it's ****** up.

Single core boost clock is what matters for MWO, you have absolutely no benefit from the strengths of that fancy processor. An old overclocked skylake would do much better for example.

Recently got watercooling and clocked my old rig up to 4.7 ghz, now I have great FPS.

But yes, sure it's ****** up and 3.9 with a good GPU should basically give a 2012 game insanely high FPS if things were as they should.

This is a genuine cryengine 3 problem though, PGI is to blame for the bad engine choice but it's not that much they can do to decrease CPU dependency at this point.

#23 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 01 January 2019 - 08:55 AM

View PostSjorpha, on 01 January 2019 - 06:45 AM, said:

This is a genuine cryengine 3 problem though, PGI is to blame for the bad engine choice but it's not that much they can do to decrease CPU dependency at this point.

They could bring back 8v8 for QP... Posted Image

Severe fps issues happened to most players when they switched to 12v12. Even post tweaking we never got back our old fps.

In all seriousness, I am personally not gonna change my rig just for the crappy coded MWO alone, since it plays more advanced games without issue. I'll think about it when Cyberpunk 2077 drops.

Edited by El Bandito, 01 January 2019 - 09:13 AM.

#24 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 02:34 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 01 January 2019 - 08:55 AM, said:

They could bring back 8v8 for QP... Posted Image

Severe fps issues happened to most players when they switched to 12v12. Even post tweaking we never got back our old fps.

In all seriousness, I am personally not gonna change my rig just for the crappy coded MWO alone, since it plays more advanced games without issue. I'll think about it when Cyberpunk 2077 drops.
well this is far from the only game i play. So this upgrade is badly needed anyways. Just wondering what the CPU upgrade wpuld look like to make this game run atlest 60fps. Everything else ive got for other games. Power supply ill get this month, and cpu next month.

#25 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,335 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 01 January 2019 - 02:39 PM

AMD will always be throttled for Mechwarrior, intel is your best bet.

#26 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 02:51 PM

View PostCMDR Sunset Shimmer, on 01 January 2019 - 02:39 PM, said:

AMD will always be throttled for Mechwarrior, intel is your best bet.

That dosnt make any sense. Plus i already got a radeon vid card so...

#27 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 01 January 2019 - 04:16 PM

View PostGrus, on 01 January 2019 - 02:51 PM, said:

That dosnt make any sense. Plus i already got a radeon vid card so...

Yes it makes perfect sense, and he's referring to AMD CPUs, not GPUs. Your radeon card should be fine, its the AMD CPU thats your bittlebeck. As explained many times, AMD's single core performance clock for clock is worse than Intels, and MWO doesnt multi-core well, which is the advantage of AMD ryzen chips. On top of that, not only are AMD performance clock to clock slower than Intel, the top clocks of AMD are around 4.3Ghz max, while many Intel chips now clock 5.0Ghz+, which widens the performance gap in MWO to the point where AMD doesnt compete.

This really only applies to MWO and other older games, newer games can often utilize more CPU threads which allows Ryzen to keep pace now with Intel despite the core speed and core performance difference.

Edited by Vxheous, 01 January 2019 - 04:19 PM.

#28 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 01 January 2019 - 04:21 PM

View PostGrus, on 01 January 2019 - 02:34 PM, said:

well this is far from the only game i play. So this upgrade is badly needed anyways. Just wondering what the CPU upgrade wpuld look like to make this game run atlest 60fps. Everything else ive got for other games. Power supply ill get this month, and cpu next month.

As they said, you will need at least 4.6 ghz CPU (best buy a 4.2 and then overclock it cause regular 3.4 is gonna overheat unless you buy much better cooling system)

#29 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 01 January 2019 - 04:23 PM

Buy a second hand Intel.

#30 The Lighthouse

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 05:01 PM

It is all about IPC. A CPU with higher IPC may exceeds a CPU with higher clocks. Thing is Intel does have good IPC and clocks.

View PostGrus, on 31 December 2018 - 09:01 PM, said:

Yeah got my eye on a 1kw power supply

ok so...

CPU AMD FX-6300
AMD R7 200
8GIG DDR3

SO MY SOCET IS A AM3+ so i should be able to just upgrade the cpu with out having to change the mother board

No, just pack your stuffs and sell them at Ebay to buy a AM4 motherboard and 2200G (or 2400G), and DDR4 RAM.

350W is actually enough if you go for integrated solution like 2200/2400G.

You will need a new motherboard though, since 2200G is AM4 and FX-6300 is AM3+.

And new RAM since AM4 motherboard is only DDR4.

But they are absolutely worth for the upgrade.

Personally, if you ask me, I would not bother upgrade within AM3+. 8350 or 8370 might be good, but they are really no match against Intel and Ryzen. Like 2200G is already 20~30 percent faster than 8370 in terms of single threaded.

Even with used price of those FX chips, they are truly not worth to buy, unless you are looking for building some super cheap network servers or super simple pfsense/opnsense router PCs.

And "AMD R7 200" is not encouraging sign. There are a lot of R7 200 series graphic cards, from bottom tiers to decent. Do you know the exact card name?

Anyway, grab more money, then put your stuffs to Ebay for more money, and get AM4 motherboard, 2200G and DDR4 RAM. Unlike Intel, AMD said they are going to support AM4 til like 2020 so you still have upgrade path afterwards.

People do buy used FX chips. While they are hot, they are semi-decent for homelab/homeserver people due to the fact that they support a lot of instructions that older Intel chips do not.

#31 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 06:26 PM

View PostThe Lighthouse, on 01 January 2019 - 05:01 PM, said:

It is all about IPC. A CPU with higher IPC may exceeds a CPU with higher clocks. Thing is Intel does have good IPC and clocks.

No, just pack your stuffs and sell them at Ebay to buy a AM4 motherboard and 2200G (or 2400G), and DDR4 RAM.

350W is actually enough if you go for integrated solution like 2200/2400G.

You will need a new motherboard though, since 2200G is AM4 and FX-6300 is AM3+.

And new RAM since AM4 motherboard is only DDR4.

But they are absolutely worth for the upgrade.

Personally, if you ask me, I would not bother upgrade within AM3+. 8350 or 8370 might be good, but they are really no match against Intel and Ryzen. Like 2200G is already 20~30 percent faster than 8370 in terms of single threaded.

Even with used price of those FX chips, they are truly not worth to buy, unless you are looking for building some super cheap network servers or super simple pfsense/opnsense router PCs.

And "AMD R7 200" is not encouraging sign. There are a lot of R7 200 series graphic cards, from bottom tiers to decent. Do you know the exact card name?

Anyway, grab more money, then put your stuffs to Ebay for more money, and get AM4 motherboard, 2200G and DDR4 RAM. Unlike Intel, AMD said they are going to support AM4 til like 2020 so you still have upgrade path afterwards.

People do buy used FX chips. While they are hot, they are semi-decent for homelab/homeserver people due to the fact that they support a lot of instructions that older Intel chips do not.

all i was able to find was that its a 2 gig video card at 300hz Posted Image

what is 2200G?

and i will need to have 1kw psu for my video card.. it requires 550w by its self.

Edited by Grus, 01 January 2019 - 06:38 PM.

#32 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 06:40 PM

Motherboard:

https://www.newegg.c...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

CPU

https://www.newegg.c...&Tpk=19-113-481

#33 Max Johnson

• Pip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 15 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 January 2019 - 06:43 PM

View PostGrus, on 01 January 2019 - 06:26 PM, said:

and i will need to have 1kw psu for my video card.. it requires 550w by its self.

No video card on the market right now needs 550w of power by itself. It would need to have like 4 "8-pin" pcie power connectors on it to use that much power. You should be fine with any high quality 500-650 watt power supply.

#34 BlueStrat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 06:59 PM

For anyone having FPS issues due to a weak CPU, this "tweak" to the MWO user.cfg file made a significant improvement for me.

https://mwomercs.com...rovement-tweak/

Don't forget to also add a 'tuning.cfg' file with the indicated command as well so that the game engine will run 'user.cfg' with the tweaks for every map load.

Edited by BlueStrat, 01 January 2019 - 07:02 PM.

#35 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 07:12 PM

View PostMax Johnson, on 01 January 2019 - 06:43 PM, said:

No video card on the market right now needs 550w of power by itself. It would need to have like 4 "8-pin" pcie power connectors on it to use that much power. You should be fine with any high quality 500-650 watt power supply.

it actually has 2 8 pin connecters..

#36 The Lighthouse

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 08:26 PM

View PostMax Johnson, on 01 January 2019 - 06:43 PM, said:

Oh, you are wrong. There is one....

View PostGrus, on 01 January 2019 - 07:12 PM, said:

it actually has 2 8 pin connecters..

....you are buying Vega 64, right?

I really think, you need to spend FAR more on your CPU. I am not going to say Intel because they are crazily overpriced right now, but like... 2600 is far better and grab something lower like RX 590.....

OH WAIT....

We have something big coming soon. CES AMD Keynote. Only f***ing 7 days left.

Man, how about, you wait for just.... just 7 days instead of burning your cash right now. There is a reason why Vega 64 is selling less than 400.

JUST.

WAIT.

UNTIL CES AMD KEYNOTE.

ONLY 7 DAYS.

You won't regret it if you wait. But I have a huge feeling you will regret greatly if you don't wait.

#37 The Lighthouse

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 08:37 PM

And okay, just in case if you are confused. Ryzen 2200G and 2400G are 'APU'.

APU is CPU + graphic card. The graphic chip is inside of the CPU. Of course, that graphic chip is surely weaker than any decently priced seprated graphic card, but at least you will be able to play games unlike Intel's iGPU. So you can throw away that super weak R7 240 (I think you mislook 1300 hz as 300 hz).

However normal R5 and R7 Ryzen CPUs are not APUs, so no graphic card inside of the CPU.

But, if you have enough budget to consider things like Vega 64... then you really should wait for AMD's CES keynote and check what they have. Then you can make decisions. Not to mention there will be heavy discount on Ryzen+ chips (e.g R5 2600)

Edited by The Lighthouse, 01 January 2019 - 08:38 PM.

#38 Big MO

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 87 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 09:26 PM

If you are upgrading an old rig, the resolution your monitor supports can influence how much it merits spending. For example, I have an older monitor with a native resolution of 1680 x 1050.

I just upgraded my system to an AMD Ryzen 5/2600 processor, an ASUS X470 chipset motherboard, 16 GB of the fastest memory that motherboard supports, and an RX 580 graphics card.

With "high" settings for almost everything, I get 60 - 80 FPS on the various maps in match - except Solaris City where it drops into the 40's. If I was trying to run 1920 x 1080 or higher resolutions, my FPS would drop.

#39 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 02 January 2019 - 12:54 AM

View PostGrus, on 31 December 2018 - 02:11 PM, said:

So IDK what happened in the last update but ive have a significant FPS drop from 30-40 to 10- 25. So im shoping for some upgrades like...

https://m.newegg.com...888&comboType=2

Any input and or suggestions welcome.

(Keep in mind i really cant spend a lot.)
((Also, was able to get a 8gig vid card for 200 and will install on new rig))

Sadly, new hardware does not guarantee better FPS..

I recently bought my fiancee a new gaming laptop specifically to make MWO get better FPS - I installed Win10 and MWO, and initially, the game ran at 2 fps.. not even 20.. 2.

Then after 2 days being pissed and not getting help from support, and googling the solution myself, I found a workaround and set the compatibility setting to Win7, so the game thinks it's being run by Win7 and not Win10 - that fixed it..

Overall, the game does get better FPS now than on her old laptop, but it came at a great financial cost (about a 1000$) and a toll on my nerves..

I suggest you check what your new hardware performs like on Cryengine and on Win10 - you can google this.

#40 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 02 January 2019 - 03:15 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 02 January 2019 - 12:54 AM, said:

Sadly, new hardware does not guarantee better FPS..

I recently bought my fiancee a new gaming laptop specifically to make MWO get better FPS - I installed Win10 and MWO, and initially, the game ran at 2 fps.. not even 20.. 2.

Then after 2 days being pissed and not getting help from support, and googling the solution myself, I found a workaround and set the compatibility setting to Win7, so the game thinks it's being run by Win7 and not Win10 - that fixed it..

Overall, the game does get better FPS now than on her old laptop, but it came at a great financial cost (about a 1000$) and a toll on my nerves..

I suggest you check what your new hardware performs like on Cryengine and on Win10 - you can google this.

I still think you broke something when you installed Windows 10, because most people run this game on Win 10 and there's never been any issues like yours

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users