88 replies to this topic

#81 Prototelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 11:19 AM

View PostMechsniper, on 09 February 2019 - 09:29 AM, said:

If PGI quit nerfing every game mechanic and weapon that can kill lights effectively,

lol wut.

Lights are the lowest scoring worst performing class in the game. There is an entire class of weapon, streaks, that easily auto aim deletes light mechs. Its incredibly common for light mechs to be one shot by all manner of weapons.

#82 Kynesis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 09 February 2019 - 05:18 PM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 18 January 2019 - 04:22 AM, said:

Assaults are built to face down the enemy and tank. Lights are built to flank and skirmish. While lights are doing their job (i.e. nascaring), assaults are busy trying to catch up with them (because that toally makes sense when your speed is 3 times slower, right?). And since rear armor on most mechs is about 10 times thinner than the frontal one, somehow surprisingly ASSaults are getting 'outnascared' really fast.

I'd like to take just a moment before I have to leave the house to highlight that comment.

Slow mechs _must_ do all they can to keep up with their team. No mech can solo another team and rock-paper-scissors of mech design dictates that Assaults / slower mechs are vulnerable to fast/light mechs.

The value of the potato-rotato is in banking everything on pitting a total jumble of as much firepower as possible on the frontline in an effort to catch-out easy prey and tip the score to the all-important 3 kill lead.

Slow mechs choices then are to stand and die, and achieve nothing for their trouble or at least try to not be devoured - during which time they can only try to defend themselves and are comparatively rarely contributing their arsenal... or to try to make a 'heroic stand' to slow the enemy team's rotation; Ending their own game with an almost zero match score while everyone else gets rewards and pats themselves on the back for a job well-done.

I have a couple more minutes - so, The logic ends up being pretty simple.
  • The worst rewards are most likely if you're caught at the back of the pack and picked-off.
  • The best rewards wins come from catching other players out and letting the snowball run its natural course.
Pragmatic players want rewards and to avoid missing out on rewards (remember the discrepancy for win vs loss is pretty dramatic, amplified by Premium Time).

Therefore for the pragmatic player, it is always better to nascar.

Edited by Kynesis, 09 February 2019 - 05:26 PM.

#83 Colonel Presumptuous

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • 28 posts
  • LocationSouthern Hemisphere

Posted 10 February 2019 - 12:49 PM

View PostKynesis, on 09 February 2019 - 05:18 PM, said:

Slow mechs _must_ do all they can to keep up with their team.

This is what ticks me off about nascar the most... I bring an assualt, ive got all this supposedly tasty fire power at my disposal... but i have to spend 80% of the god damn match not fighting but moving my fat arse to keep up with the team in order to simply not die in a few seconds from half the enemy team riding up my arse. And oddly enough even in the situations where I get steam rolled due to the nascar in the first minute of the match and i just say F it and turn around and go out blazing i still manage to come out fairly often 3-4th place in terms of dmg done... now imagine what i could have done in terms of dmg if i had actually been given a chance to live most of the match.

In matches where we have no nascar and i can stand and shoot things suddenly surprise of surprises my kill count and dmg goes skyward... but no keep on nascaring team, keep on nascaring.

The number of matchs where ive been nascared to death early on, we loose and then up pops that yellow = sign of sigh on my match readout... when that happens (and it happens alot) all i can do is sit and shake my head and wonder why am i playing this game with other people?

Edited by Colonel Presumptuous, 10 February 2019 - 12:53 PM.

#84 R Valentine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 06:57 AM

I find the time of day you play to have a pretty large effect on game quality. Nascar seems to be an NA thing, since when I play during EU times on the weekends most games are nascar free. I guess NA players just have no imagination.

#85 Anjian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 07:07 AM

View PostKiran Yagami, on 11 February 2019 - 06:57 AM, said:

I find the time of day you play to have a pretty large effect on game quality. Nascar seems to be an NA thing, since when I play during EU times on the weekends most games are nascar free. I guess NA players just have no imagination.

America = Birthplace of NASCAR

#86 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 07:39 AM

View PostKynesis, on 09 February 2019 - 05:18 PM, said:

I'd like to take just a moment before I have to leave the house to highlight that comment.

Slow mechs _must_ do all they can to keep up with their team. No mech can solo another team and rock-paper-scissors of mech design dictates that Assaults / slower mechs are vulnerable to fast/light mechs.

The value of the potato-rotato is in banking everything on pitting a total jumble of as much firepower as possible on the frontline in an effort to catch-out easy prey and tip the score to the all-important 3 kill lead.

Slow mechs choices then are to stand and die, and achieve nothing for their trouble or at least try to not be devoured - during which time they can only try to defend themselves and are comparatively rarely contributing their arsenal... or to try to make a 'heroic stand' to slow the enemy team's rotation; Ending their own game with an almost zero match score while everyone else gets rewards and pats themselves on the back for a job well-done.

I have a couple more minutes - so, The logic ends up being pretty simple.
  • The worst rewards are most likely if you're caught at the back of the pack and picked-off.
  • The best rewards wins come from catching other players out and letting the snowball run its natural course.
Pragmatic players want rewards and to avoid missing out on rewards (remember the discrepancy for win vs loss is pretty dramatic, amplified by Premium Time).

Therefore for the pragmatic player, it is always better to nascar.

Yep your right. This is exactly what happens with me. I know NASCARing is the wrong thing to do in 90% of the matches I am in but because the "TEAM" can't figure this out, I have to play along or die. I am also sure that at least 50% of my team is feeling the same way as well but like you said, you have to be pragmatic and "go with the flow" seething inside the entire time.

I think what gets me the most though are those times were we NASCAR into the perfect position to destroy the enemy team but instead of fighting from these positions, we continue to rotate right into the killzone the enemy was in less than a minute early, while they rain destruction down upon us.

View PostColonel Presumptuous, on 10 February 2019 - 12:49 PM, said:

This is what ticks me off about nascar the most... I bring an assualt, ive got all this supposedly tasty fire power at my disposal... but i have to spend 80% of the god damn match not fighting but moving my fat arse to keep up with the team in order to simply not die in a few seconds from half the enemy team riding up my arse. And oddly enough even in the situations where I get steam rolled due to the nascar in the first minute of the match and i just say F it and turn around and go out blazing i still manage to come out fairly often 3-4th place in terms of dmg done... now imagine what i could have done in terms of dmg if i had actually been given a chance to live most of the match.

In matches where we have no nascar and i can stand and shoot things suddenly surprise of surprises my kill count and dmg goes skyward... but no keep on nascaring team, keep on nascaring.

The number of matchs where ive been nascared to death early on, we loose and then up pops that yellow = sign of sigh on my match readout... when that happens (and it happens alot) all i can do is sit and shake my head and wonder why am i playing this game with other people?

Yeah this happens to be all the time. Got tons of firepower but I spend more than half the match trying to keep up with the NASCAR instead of actually fighting. Then of course I get the "Whelp our Assaults sucked again" when we lose.

Overall I get why the NASCAR occurs because it makes sense to flank the enemy and it makes sense, sometimes anyway, to pick up a straggler but what I don't get is why the NASCAR never stops when a team finally gets into superior positions or when your team is getting super strung out. I mean why would you give up an elevated position with good cover to rotate into the open to die? Also even before NASCAR people identified that that Murder Ball was the most important tactic so why do people keep rushing around in a circle when their team is strung out in a line 800m long making it easy for the enemy to pick them off one by one? Common sense seem to dictate that you slow down and let your team regroup BEFORE resuming the chase.

Honestly I think this is the failure of people who think NASCAR is good. They just aren't looking at the big picture. It is only good as long as your team sticks together and then only good until your get a superior position over the enemy. If you can't keep this in mind as your playing, then your just failing your team.

#87 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 10:59 AM

Bring a faster assault.

Learn shortcuts.

Don't bring an LRM assault to QP unless you're just there to pad your matchscore.

You don't have to walk the same footsteps your lights took. If your lights are going in a NASCAR, find a shortcut with the bulk of the team which works on most maps.

If you're just straight up getting left behind, hide or tuck into a corner and sell yourself dearly. If nothing else try to tie up several mechs for a bit to buy your team more time to exploit their numbers advantage they have on whatever flank they're pushing on.

Flanking and pushing is good tactics. The real key bit is this -

In any given fight one side is pushing, one side is running. Be the one pushing not the one running.

#88 Benjamin357

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 78 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 12:29 PM

Posted Image

#89 Oils

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 04:14 PM

"You are leaving your assaults behind!?"