Is Anybody Even Having Fun Right Now?

84 replies to this topic

#41 Jman5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 03:25 PM

It sounds like a lot of your frustration is caused by your teammates. If solo queue players aren't good enough for you, then you should try to play the group queue. Either that or just move on. There are a bajillion great games out there and you should spend your free time doing things you enjoy.

#42 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 03:31 PM

MWO is great fun if you're going non-meta in tier 3 and none of the tryhards pop in from tier 1 to farm. From there you see really amazing matches where it all boils down to 2 vs 2 or 1 vs 2...then 1 vs 1... and it is so Damn close that people are calling are cheering in both messages and on voice...

And then only one guy is left alive...or the timer clicks during what might have been the finishing blow.

Otherwise.no. But it's seeking those fun moments that I still play.

Posted Image
Is an example.
Posted Image

Edited by Koniving, 19 January 2019 - 03:46 PM.

#43 HammerMaster

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 19 January 2019 - 03:47 PM

View PostAcersecomic, on 19 January 2019 - 05:34 AM, said:

I quit the game in Beta. I returned with a new account little over half a year ago and honestly... aside from some VERY MINOR changes, the game, its players and the matchmaking times have not changed at all. The game has been living a half life since its public availability so there is no use prophecising its death or end, it has been unchanging since 2013.

6+years of a half life?
Mkay...

#44 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 19 January 2019 - 03:51 PM

Well, I'm getting beaten into a pulp by Extreme Behemoth (MHW), so yeah i'm having fun.

#45 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 19 January 2019 - 03:55 PM

View PostHammerMaster, on 19 January 2019 - 03:47 PM, said:

6+years of a half life?
Mkay...

Well, the half-life of U-234 is 245,500 years, which is just 1/18,000 the half-life of U-238.

Just saying. Posted Image

Edited by Mystere, 19 January 2019 - 03:55 PM.

#46 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 19 January 2019 - 04:59 PM

I equate fun with winning. And I am winning a lot in SQ and FP whenever I bother to play.

#47 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 19 January 2019 - 05:17 PM

View PostNRP, on 19 January 2019 - 02:56 PM, said:

Let me start by saying I absolutely agree with you here regarding mechs and winning.

However, I suggest that it is perhaps unwise to hold winning (or K/D ratio, or match score, etc.) as a primary (or necessary) component of fun. Far too many variables are beyond your control in order to secure a "win". IMO, it's more "fun" to goof around in different mechs, try different builds, and drink some good liquor while you're at it. All while trying to win of course.

Anything just leads to stress, frustration, and threads like the OP's.

Well said; very much agree. You can't take the game too seriously because so much is simply out of your hands. One could drop call every game and win much more often but that becomes stressful. I certainly prefer MWO a lot more with friends.

#48 Rick T Dangerous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 354 posts
  • LocationExactly above Earth's center

Posted 19 January 2019 - 05:18 PM

There is but one that was foretold to breathe fun back into ye game of MecheWarriorOnTheLine: Ye Urbie IIc. He shall appear before ye chosen, and thusly shall thee all laughe thy behindes offe. Urbie day shall commence again! For the trashcan!

#49 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 19 January 2019 - 05:22 PM

View PostKoniving, on 19 January 2019 - 03:31 PM, said:

MWO is great fun if you're going non-meta in tier 3 and none of the tryhards pop in from tier 1 to farm. From there you see really amazing matches where it all boils down to 2 vs 2 or 1 vs 2...then 1 vs 1... and it is so Damn close that people are calling are cheering in both messages and on voice...

And then only one guy is left alive...or the timer clicks during what might have been the finishing blow.

Otherwise.no. But it's seeking those fun moments that I still play.

Posted Image
Is an example.
Posted Image

1 shy of Ace of Spades RIP :(

#50 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 05:35 PM

View PostRickySpanish, on 19 January 2019 - 05:22 PM, said:

1 shy of Ace of Spades RIP Posted Image

I know, right? I have some score screens with 8 kills, but they're before the achievement system. :(

#51 kuma8877

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 691 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 19 January 2019 - 05:59 PM

I really enjoy MWO for what it is. I have a lot of close matches in SQ. While not the best game by any measure, it is one of my favorites.

#52 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 12:03 AM

On the plus side, things went much more normal today. I did not play a single Mech that I had finished skilling, jumped between Mechs, including several I bought ages ago that I never finished skilling up. Played a match, switched the Mech, played another, etc.

I even tried out lurming for once, in a Cougar. ;) Wasn't half bad.

Got different teams and the teams performed normally again. Maybe it was just a bit of a hiccup with the MM yesterday. I am T2, I would have expected to not see people in Trial Mechs, because the MM should normally prevent me from playing against T5s...

So my strategy to stop the frustration for now is to just stop playing when I get annoyed... And not to start playing until I am not annoyed anymore. ;-) Let's see how that works. Normally, I enjoy playing MWO, but I seem to start taking things overly serious when I am trying to work on events. As that often coincides with people actually playing that normally no longer play, the outliers in performance seem to vary a lot more than usual. Which annoys me no end, when I am on the receiving end of a negative streak.

Guess I do need to lighten up a bit more. It's not like I actually need much more MC or CBills anyway... I have all the Mechs I am interested in except for some Heroes already. Beyond this, it's just a Pokemon ambition.

#53 DarkFhoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Terror
  • The Terror
  • 401 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 03:18 AM

Yes of course i am having fun . Why would i play this game if it was not fun ? Who does that ?

I have two accounts and I have given PGI money for virtual goodies 10 out the 12 months last year . I have cash set aside to jump on their awesome deals at the end of this month .

Thats how much fun i am having .

If you are not having fun , why are you even making posts on this forum ? Go find the next game of your dreams .

Edited by DarkFhoenix, 20 January 2019 - 03:18 AM.

#54 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 20 January 2019 - 04:52 AM

View PostRickySpanish, on 19 January 2019 - 01:02 PM, said:

I do when I'm in my Virago or Deathstrike, but I would prefer to be able to run other 'Mechs and not lose matches so hard. I have found that unless I am in a tippy top meta 'Mech that's able to carry the team alongside the other two fellas who brought their A-game, I will just lose.

I have spent some time pontificating over my losing streaks, specifically how they can be so long - surely at some point I should win by sheer luck of the draw. I have concluded that matches are won by the team whose players tend to drive the best 'Mechs. Ergo if I don't bring something OP, I am shooting my team in the foot. This is because since tiers are mixed, the high tier players on the other team are probably bringing their big guns. If I bring something with less of a presence on the battlefield, the good players on the red side are going to crush blue that little bit more easily since the match maker is expecting me to hold up my end of the bargain.

What all this means is, if I want to win, I cannot bring 9/10ths of the 'Mechs I own. Even if the 'Mech is "good", that's not good enough, it has to be flat out the best in its class. Furthermore, when I buy a new 'Mech, I need to skill it up at least halfway immediately or face similar consequences. There's plenty of things wrong with the mechanics of this game, unfortunately. Still, it is enjoyable so long as you play within its stringent guidelines.

Dude...check out the patch notes. Panther 10P is getting a -10% heat quirk. That's right, -10% heat on a mech that has 2B and 2M hardpoints. Gonna be epic.

Your stable of "flat out best in its class mechs" is about to get bigger.

/s

#55 Scyther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 20 January 2019 - 05:01 AM

Threads with essentially the same message as the OP have literally been coming out since Beta days. "How can this be fun when my team falls apart in seconds and I lose X in a row?" They are also common in other team-PvP games like World of Tanks, Overwatch etc.

The issue, IMO, stems from having a set of expectations that don't jive with the actual environment. When you expect your team to be half-decent, or to not nascar, or to not abandon your assault, or to pay attention to the scouting you are doing in your light... you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

You only have control over one element in the match. Your mech. You can't control anything else so don't expect anything else from them. Re-frame your match expectation from "I want to win" or "I want a team that does well" to "I want to achieve goal X in this mech, this round".

Maybe your goal is just to not run out ahead and die early. Maybe it's to deal 300 damage. Maybe it's simply to focus on controlling combat range so you are firing your AC20 and SRMs only when they are effective. Then you can evaluate the match in terms of what you did and what you can control.

Basing your satisfaction with the match on 23 elements that are out of your control is just a recipe for frustration.

Edited by MadBadger, 20 January 2019 - 05:02 AM.

#56 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 20 January 2019 - 05:15 AM

View PostMadBadger, on 20 January 2019 - 05:01 AM, said:

You only have control over one element in the match. Your mech. You can't control anything else so don't expect anything else from them. Re-frame your match expectation from "I want to win" or "I want a team that does well" to "I want to achieve goal X in this mech, this round".

Drop calling helps a lot in extending your control over the match. Doesn't work all the time but those who drop call have huge advantage over those who do not, in all modes.

#57 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 January 2019 - 05:23 AM

View PostMadBadger, on 20 January 2019 - 05:01 AM, said:

Threads with essentially the same message as the OP have literally been coming out since Beta days. "How can this be fun when my team falls apart in seconds and I lose X in a row?" They are also common in other team-PvP games like World of Tanks, Overwatch etc.

Sure, that said, I had A LOT more fun when we had ELO instead of Tier

#58 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 06:39 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 20 January 2019 - 05:15 AM, said:

Drop calling helps a lot in extending your control over the match. Doesn't work all the time but those who drop call have huge advantage over those who do not, in all modes.

Definitely, but I'll just add one caveat. Bad calls that put your team in a bad position can be worse than no calls at all.

I had a game where some guy on my team threw a fit when I suggested we group up and then attack. So everyone instead followed his advice of sitting in the low ground on Grim Plexus while the enemy team pushed into us from the high ground. It was actually a decently well matched game if you plugged all the names into jarl's, but it wound up being 12-1. Needless to say, he blamed us for the loss... Posted Image

#59 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 09:19 AM

I'm making so much chills I bought the wrong grasshopper and I'm not upset about it.

#60 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 20 January 2019 - 09:21 AM

View PostD1irte, on 19 January 2019 - 02:23 PM, said:

Dont understand why you are outing MWO... Every game like MWO, aka World of tanks/Warships, Warthunder ,etc, etc is plagued with players that are not playing correctly, so Idk why people are getting mad at... You cant blame the devs or the game.

Tho my issue is that party search is dead and you cant play quick match with your friends, that would have solved my issues with this problem.
I was hard on MWO because it was frustrating seeing Russ so terribly treat my favorite franchise. No one cares about another tank or plane game. Something else to consider is how weak this game turned out even though dedicated players were gifted to it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users