Warhammer Shows Backslide In Volume Scaling Proofing

63 replies to this topic

#41 Prototelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 05:31 PM

Great, you've established the original designers of the IP can't scale their ******* game either. Like honestly, this was barely a concern for them. Its a ******* dice rolling game and most of the designs were borrowed from somewhere else. This is one of the reasons why the source ip/cannon/lore are garbage.

Can we get that reboot now?

#42 Gristle Missile

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 275 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 05:52 PM

Maybe its just the poor agility, but It also seems like the CT on the IIC is easier to hit. Maybe the crotch is bigger?
Would be helpful to have a hitbox overlay in the pics from front and side

Edited by Gristle Missile, 27 February 2019 - 05:53 PM.

#43 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 05:55 PM

View PostKoniving, on 27 February 2019 - 05:23 PM, said:

(One more fun thing for misconceptions. SRMs can be carried in and fired from a rifle on foot. With a separate guidance system cobtrolled by a remote joystick on the hip).
Posted Image Granted this is a dumbed down version without the automated guidance of regular SRMs...but that leads to another thing missing here...doesn't it? Anyway it still does the same damage.

(And yes I am aware the hip controls look really really stupid and impractical... Better to have it on the gun and be more....intuitive..

Well, keep in mind that in TT, SRM ammo is 50/ton so 40 pounds per missile max. (Likely less since the ammo comes with crate and ammo loader). A missile launcher needs to be little more than a tube that can withstand 2 shots and a crosshair. On a mech, you need ammo loader, armor for the tubes and other stuff, though turning it into a ton is pretty amazing inefficiency.

#44 HammerMaster

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 27 February 2019 - 06:31 PM

View PostNightbird, on 27 February 2019 - 05:55 PM, said:

Well, keep in mind that in TT, SRM ammo is 50/ton so 40 pounds per missile max. (Likely less since the ammo comes with crate and ammo loader). A missile launcher needs to be little more than a tube that can withstand 2 shots and a crosshair. On a mech, you need ammo loader, armor for the tubes and other stuff, though turning it into a ton is pretty amazing inefficiency.

There are better illustrations that show a much larger man portable srm-2.

#45 GeminiWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 743 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 February 2019 - 06:35 PM

My theory is the players are really fat now and add weight to the mech.

#46 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 07:04 PM

View PostHammerMaster, on 27 February 2019 - 06:31 PM, said:

There are better illustrations that show a much larger man portable srm-2.

Sure, you can have a bigger tube, but the missile won't get any larger. It is just 40 lbs tops. The size of a 750mL soda bottle.

#47 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 11:40 PM

1 ton is 2k lbs (BT uses US tons) so at most a missile would be 20 lbs given that there are 100 missiles (or 2 tubes times 50 uses) in a ton of ammo.
The launcher (infantry carried shoulder mounted) with and without ammo has a specified weight which I will check during the day before I go to work (my shift is almost done just a few more hours then glorious sleep...if my toddler lets me). The primary differences in the man-portable version and the vehicle version in the tabletop as far as I know is range. Will double check in morning. It should also be accuracy considering that one is manually controlled (prior to launching by setting the intended curve Before firing) (this only somewhat makes sense due to the fact that the missile would be too fast to manually guide with that flimsy control scheme. Was an MLRS artilleryman [13 mike] and I can tell you any rocket or missile at a short range isn't gonna give you enough time to screw with that hip mounted cheap on a moving target.)

Anywho. An ammunition Bin's weight (empty) varies by "numerous factors" but roughly encompasses 10 to 20% of the weight of each ton of ammo. Mechwarrior RPG 1st edition. (Might be superseded now).

Assuming max weight for the bin (400 lbs or 0.2 tons) the SRM ammo used by vehicles and mechs (which doesnt differ in damage but differs in range and guidance systems and if this weight were taken out and filled with explosives would add 50% more damage potential as per "dumb-fire missile" ammo for SRMs...) Would be 16 lbs per missile. The missile from a Javelin is 18.5 lbs and a Stinger is 6.6 lbs. If I'm not mistaken the SRM weight of that launcher was between 3 and 5 lbs and had something like half or a fourth of the range. In terms of length though the missile is only 50% longer and about 90mm in diameter (where the ones in that launcher are 40mm to 50mm supposedly).

The larger man-portable launcher has better stats for its weight and 2 person requirement. But in terms of explosive power is about the same. Much of the system's weight on a mech or vehiclr is in the feed and firing mechanics (programming target parameters etc.) The extra ton of Artemis adds in a communication system between the missiles and the launcher (which can be jammed by Guardian ECM...but basic arm guidance cannot be...and yes SRMs track targets. Sort of a big reason why they are so much heavier.)

Sorry for so many quotes. Fixing the autocorrect and each time I think I am done another one shows up.

Did forget one detail. That specific launcher shown as held by the Steiner soldier fires one missile at a time and carries two in a revolving mechanism. Unlike the larger man portable srm 2 which fires 2 at a time (well per 10 second time slice) and hauls with them a stash of reloads carried by other soldiers in the same squad.)

Edited by Koniving, 28 February 2019 - 12:01 AM.

#48 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 11:43 PM

View PostHammerMaster, on 27 February 2019 - 05:24 PM, said:

Keep in mind I'm talking this skinny Atlas in black and white stop motion. NOT the released colored shiny one.
Posted Image

Fair.

Side note that one bugged me. Given the year.... Also an Atlas C as is later in a the colored trailer... In 3015. So...so much wrong there.

Side note. Do you have the vid or a link to it if not deleted? The old links to it on Mwo don't include the videos anymore and I love the PPC charge up mechanic it had.

#49 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 01:12 PM

SRMs

View PostKoniving, on 27 February 2019 - 11:40 PM, said:

SRMs (vehicle/mech, manportable of multiple sizes)

To follow up as promised.

Various SRM facts using Mechwarrior RPG, Battletechnology (for comparison) and Megamek HQ (online tabletop). Weights (of weapons and ammo), ranges, distinctions.. Multiple SRM launchers used by infantry / mechanized infantry compared to vehicle/mech SRM launchers.
Spoiler

Awesomely neat stuff. After I post the big results in the "You have 5.5 tons" thread, I'm gonna do a thread in Battletech Discussion this weekend about weapons and weapon variants if you wanna join.

But enough about that, back to the scale of Warhammer and volumes debate.

Edited by Koniving, 28 February 2019 - 07:10 PM.

#50 HammerMaster

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 04:00 PM

View PostKoniving, on 27 February 2019 - 11:43 PM, said:

Fair.

Side note that one bugged me. Given the year.... Also an Atlas C as is later in a the colored trailer... In 3015. So...so much wrong there.

Side note. Do you have the vid or a link to it if not deleted? The old links to it on Mwo don't include the videos anymore and I love the PPC charge up mechanic it had.

I searched High And Low. I think its deleted.

#51 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 07:11 PM

View PostHammerMaster, on 28 February 2019 - 04:00 PM, said:

I searched High And Low. I think its deleted.

Don't like that its deleted.
Like that you tried to find it too.

#52 HammerMaster

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 01:43 PM

View PostKoniving, on 28 February 2019 - 07:11 PM, said:

Don't like that its deleted.
Like that you tried to find it too.

A while back I tried saving it.
It's like they want something good to die.

#53 LordBraxton

• The Formidable
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 02:39 PM

So all the IS 80 tonners get massive hitboxes but the new clan battlemech gets to be undersized, of course.

#54 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 05:44 PM

IS 80 tonners are basically 85 tonners because of all the free hit points. Downsize them for 0 quirks, any takers?

#55 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 01 March 2019 - 05:52 PM

View PostLordBraxton, on 01 March 2019 - 02:39 PM, said:

So all the IS 80 tonners get massive hitboxes but the new clan battlemech gets to be undersized, of course.

On the other hand that new Clan Battlemech also had worse agility than a number of mechs above its tonnage. IMO I'd rather have better agility in exchange for having the mech be scaled to other 80-ton gundams.

#56 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 11:21 AM

View PostNightbird, on 01 March 2019 - 05:44 PM, said:

IS 80 tonners are basically 85 tonners because of all the free hit points. Downsize them for 0 quirks, any takers?

And the 2c didn't get enough armor as it is. Only like 20 extra armor points, that's it. No where near the "nearly double the armor" that lore dictates.

#57 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 02 March 2019 - 11:48 AM

View PostGrus, on 02 March 2019 - 11:21 AM, said:

And the 2c didn't get enough armor as it is. Only like 20 extra armor points, that's it. No where near the "nearly double the armor" that lore dictates.

The fluff about extra armor is based on stock builds, with the IS Warhammer not carrying its maximum armor load by default. The Whalehammer IIC only had the same armor capacity as any other 80-ton gundam.

And really, I don't get why people are complaining about the Whalehammer IIC's lack of armor or weapon quirks. Its "fatal flaw" issue is agility. Agility. AGILITY. Agility agility agility.

An 80-ton mech is never going to be a raw DPS platform like the MCII or KDK. 80-ton mechs should ideally act as a compromise between the heavy and assault classes, getting a nice blend of attributes from both camps. PGI is treating the WHM-IIC as if it's the second coming of the MCII, which it simply will never be.

#58 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 11:54 AM

"lore dictates" is a strange thing to say regarding MWO, anyway.
And yes, agility is what kills the WHM IIC. Scale it up, increase the agility and it should be ok.

#59 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 12:02 PM

View PostGrus, on 02 March 2019 - 11:21 AM, said:

It does have double the stock armor.

#60 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 12:18 PM

View PostNightbird, on 02 March 2019 - 12:02 PM, said:

It does have double the stock armor.

Hero to hero comparison.

Max Black widow armor = 434
Max Maul armor =498

Please explain how 64 armor is nearly double?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users