BattleMechs Store

144 replies to this topic

#41 Pain G0D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sho-ko
  • Sho-ko
  • 617 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 03:17 PM

I have not stopped buying mechpacks old or new but....

I am very fussy about buying mechpacks . Only ever bought 5 . Mad cat , Uziel , sun spider , black lanner , Hatamoto

Sometimes I consider buying a mechpack but then decide to buy multiple cbill mechs instead .

I much prefer to buy hero mechs . I also used to think those mech bundles were a better deal .

Edited by Pain G0D, 01 June 2019 - 03:34 PM.

#42 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 01 June 2019 - 03:23 PM

The only mechs I bought with real money is the K9 and the Kaiju, the rest is for MC.

I no longer support paying for anything in game because I have been disappointed with the game with every turn, with PGI's choices, and the completely inept execution of this horse that's already dead that they won't even bury.

I'd probably shell out more money if they get out Urbanmech IIC, but honestly at this point, only a proper game would make me shell out money:

- MWO to Unreal Engine
- Ammo Switching implemented, LBXs and ATMs fixed, special ammo for established Launchers, and MML.
- Crit Splitting
- Proper Techbase balancing
- Proper balance
- Proper FP experience.

I know that it's hard, but it's supposed to be hard. We shouldn't have been paying for inferior product. That's just like paying for lootboxes, they could just do minimal work and get maximal money, and they can sit on their *** all day because they know not working pays off. That's positive reinforcement.

#43 Bowelhacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 922 posts
  • LocationKooken's Pleasure Pit

Posted 01 June 2019 - 03:26 PM

I was still buying mechpacks. Until yesterday.

#44 Mr Andersson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 217 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 03:30 PM

I have bought a total of two mech packs in this game - the Fafnir and the Warhammer IIC, both at $20 level. Why haven't I bought more, or bigger packs? Simple, because they are overpriced. I mean, $70 for the lot? That could go into buying a completely new game!

#45 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 June 2019 - 03:31 PM

View PostBowelhacker, on 01 June 2019 - 03:26 PM, said:

I was still buying mechpacks. Until yesterday.

Yeah they really need to focus on building up player confidence in general.

View PostMr Andersson, on 01 June 2019 - 03:30 PM, said:

I have bought a total of two mech packs in this game - the Fafnir and the Warhammer IIC, both at $20 level. Why haven't I bought more, or bigger packs? Simple, because they are overpriced. I mean, $70 for the lot? That could go into buying a completely new game!

Indeed, perhaps PGI simply needs to lower the price of packs by a notable margin.

#46 JediPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 01 June 2019 - 04:09 PM

Don't need to when you realize the mech you have are still good at what they do. Newer mechs might do a niche like that flea with 8 mgs or such but I've got my Ember with its c-bills bonus and 4 mgs with smls or spls.

As a "semi-retired" is light mech and catapult lrm-er I haven't been able to play in about a year because of life happens forced to take a significant pay cut which forces me to give up gaming. That and pgi hardly gives players any reason to spend money on the game with their fw 'phrases" long tom, mech bias, game modes changed or removed whenever, lack of using the community's good idea and leaving things in state as is such as the vip atlas for months before yanking the game mode rather than use our imput and work on making it better.

I knew mwo as doa the moment they announced mw5. When they kill an entire weight class' worth of mechs and only give you an alt which is pretty much a reskin well why use a 35t when you have a 20 ton that does everything the 35t did with only 2 points less armor. I don't see a difference between the flea and lcts which is why I never bought any for real or mc. my lcts>any jenner.

#47 Philosophical

• Pip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 17 posts
  • Locationcanada

Posted 01 June 2019 - 04:12 PM

I got the the point where I had purchased enough mechs that I could play a mech for just about any mood I was in. after that point, i would just wait for mechs to come available for c-bills and purchase only the ones I really wanted. the heros I wanted, i just purchased mc when it was on sale, and saved it for when heroes went on sale for half price. I think the last mech pack I purchased outright was the pirhana. I did however pre-order mw5 so of course I got the marauder II and all the pre-order mechs which was nice since I didn't have a king-crab yet.

#48 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 01 June 2019 - 04:25 PM

View PostGuardDogg, on 01 June 2019 - 01:54 PM, said:

It can be done now. But.....oh well. Guess it takes a genius to figure out how to program (animate) 4 legged stuff.

Funny since when I went to school for animation we were to have a copy of edward muybridge's animals in locomotion either in physical form or digital or we'd be failed that semester and have to retake and pay double for the class because the instructor was that hard. Any animation student worth their paper is fully aware and has used edwards' books. He was just a photographer wanting to win a bet but those photos are worth more than all the mech packs.

My back up books for animals and animation were blair,williams, and a few disney books on animation. Gotta love the grids.

#49 50 50

• 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 01 June 2019 - 04:40 PM

While there are still a lot of mechs that have not been introduced into the game and we have not had the opportunity to see the new art for them, I do agree with the reasoning behind cutting back on the releases.

There are hundreds of variants in this game.
Only a handful get played regularly.
That is a lot of time and effort put towards something that isn't getting used.

Because we have so many mechs, it is very difficult to now find something that is actually different or fills a niche.
This means that players do not see the need to get a mech pack because there is more than likely something in game already.

Therefore, the only reason left to jump on something new is because it might be a personal favourite or a personal desire to support the game.

We have to consider that because of the change with the skill tree and the massive refund the vast majority of the player base got from that, we have had a population that has been very wealthy and able to simply buy a lot of the mechs with c-bills.

This leave the new players.
These players still have the option to buy mech packs to get a bit of a head start. You get a bunch of variants and the mechbays that go along with them.

The pre-orders with the additional bonuses are still attractive for the same reason and if we only get a new mech added every 3 months or so, it becomes more attractive to jump on the new design.

Personally I have done both.
There have been mechs that I have pre-ordered because I wanted the mech and the goodies that came with it.
I have also bought mechs simply to support the game.
Would I buy more?
Perhaps. There are a few out there that I might consider must haves.
However, I would definitely like to see the boundaries get pushed a little and we try to break into some new ground.
For example:
I would, right now if it was announced, buy a quad mech pack like the Scorpion and I would literally fall off my chair if I was able to pilot Elementals.

Without diving into other things like tanks and VTOLs etc, Quads and Elementals are two things that I feel would make a massive difference to the game and offer something very unique without stepping too far, in the case of the Elementals, from the mech v mech combat MWO represents.

#50 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 04:49 PM

Game started getting extra repetitive with map voting. And the unit I'm in stopped doing FP. Group queue sucks for small groups and especially for friends you invited to try out the game.

But I have to admit that they've done a poor job of making mechs viable. If people don't want to buy mechs it's because they tend to suck. They could design them from the ground up to have better hitboxes and better niches with unique quirks. A greater variety of weapons might help too.

#51 AEgg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 05:09 PM

I'm probably in a super-small minority, but I haven't bought mech packs for a loong time because I don't believe in paying for exclusive (gameplay affecting) content. I've spent more on MWO than any other single game, but I always wait until whatever I bought is released for cbills before using it. And buying something and not using it for several months isn't a good experience.

Hero mechs, I still haven't bought any, despit having like 30k MC sitting around, for the same reason, don't believe in paying for exclusive content.

More relevant to most players, I spent more on the founders pack than I would have on any other brand-new game. Admittedly, the MC it came with has covered all the mechbays I'll ever need, but still, there's a difference between microtransactions, that other games have, and price-of-a-whole-new-game mechpacks, that MWO has.

#52 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,375 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 05:12 PM

I love leveling up mechs and getting 3 or 6 and mastering them all from a pack. I love that there is a challenge that gets you a Camo if you participate.

So having 136 mechs hasn't stopped me from buying packs, but yes I have stopped buying packs.

I stopped buying packs after the NSR felt like a rip off. I bought the NSR not looking closely at it and assumed I'd have a variant that had 6MPL or 6ERML and 2xGauss. Instead I got a Frankenstein's monster of a mech that is too wide with extra shoulder bits and has hand actuators that never made any sense in this game except to nerf things.

I don't care about lore, I don't care that it'd be really powerful, I wanted an innersphere deathstrike. I think we NEEDED an innersphere Deathstrike. Instead we only got armor quirks on ONE of the 6 chassis (I think just one) and low structure bonuses on the others even though it is a sad sad mech.

I mean I could have refunded it but I leveled them anyway. 1 LL 3ERML and 2 Gauss, its all kinds of screwed up but I leveled it like that.

Let me go back to the beginning of my frustrations.
  • They had no new player experience for ages and F2P mechs were stock for far too long and even now the builds they make on the trial mechs are so garbage it hurts.
  • They made ECM next to useless.
  • Engine De-sync killed most of my assaults, they used the DWF 100 ton 300engine as a baseline and even killed a lot of lights, especially the extremely nimble LCT that could stutter step and more freely adjust directions. Even some of my mediums were killed, no longer was my big XL engine GRF or other mechs agile enough to twist away the damage of lasers and spread out the hits from AC20s but you couldn't even get the timing down for fire/twist/fire anymore.
  • They made all premium time active instead of banked.
  • The skill tree killed the good quirks. 50% Energy cool down for example on the LCT 1V, the thing can take only one laser, letting it fire that one laser as fast as it having almost 2 of them was the only saving grace that mech had, the agility was gone and the quirks were gone from a lot of mechs and the skill tree maxed cool down doesn't get you back up to 50% like they said it would. ECM even with points added is so bad that its better just to bring another DHS instead of ECM on a lot of mechs.
  • They used IS-small lasers as a base line and nerfed all lasers, making medium lasers have more burn time than lasers much larger than them. cSPL were hit too hard the damage output vs heat isn't the issue, it wasn't about DPS it was about doing damage to a single component and hiding. ACH are rarely used outside the MGs and 3 ERML/HML
  • They cut heat threshold down and increased dissipation. Sure I can alpha some things still and then hide and go back a little sooner but the idea was I could get two alphas off with a cool shot and do serious damage to the mid ranged gauss mechs then step back into hiding while they could only hit me once. This was how I handled the Deathstrike, which it wasn't a perfect counter but it hurt it a lot of I could take an arm off real fast and cut its FP down by 20+ points.
  • The side torso loss causes heat spikes and often shuts you down, this is my last straw, this is so damn frustrating. In the heat of battle, My 4xSRM6 mech is splatting all over someone, but my heat is a bit over half way and he's got PP damage on my shoulder and finally takes one off and instead of me getting off one more shot and coring him out I overheat to death or shut down for 10s and get killed easily.
  • They have left too many mechs in the dust, the STK needs quirks, specifically armor quirks. As do a lot of mechs.

All this has lead me to stop buying mechs. Even though I have put well over 500$ into this game.
  • Founders mid tier ~50$
  • Phoenix mid tier ~60$
  • Wave 2 90$
  • Wave 3 40$
  • KDK ~60$
  • MCII 35$
  • MC enough for a dozen heroes, bought the Boar's head at full price with my Founder's MC, I own 40-50 colors I own 10+ camos for a few of my favorite mechs ~100$ or more I have about 200+ standing items 60 or 80 or so warhorns and 45 or so hanging items. Multiple heroes.
I'd say I've put roughly 500$ into this game alone since 2012.

My wallet is closed.

Out of 136 mechs 40 or more are 30% cbill bonus mechs.

After phoenix pack I slowed my playing down significantly because I played League of legends more and ran a 100 person guild on a multi-game gaming website. Which I tried to bring MWO too multiple times and still couldn't get more than 5 friends to join me in the game,even after the cadet bonus was offered and trial mechs were cleaned up a bit.

I got my brother to play this game with me, he spent 200$ on packs and MC, he literally bought cBills so he could outfit his mechs. Even though I told him its a horrible trade off.

I've talked a lot of people into buying the MCII pack and getting the hero addon. It just seemed like the best way to introduce them to the game was to get them going on a 35$ purchase with premium time and a Dakka, Missile, and Sniper mech.

I joined b33f and baradul and nutty rat, and bearcl4w and juju's discords and in the beginning we had full 12 mans running around but would often jump into games and sync drops with these people or just watch them wreck it in group queue while I hid in solo queue.

Now we have the president of the game declaring it dead.

Lets list the reasons why.
  • IGP and the clan introduction was botched horribly and IGP who said no to FP and no to Solaris 7 dissolves
  • Clans are let run wild for a good length of time and they had to introduce ghost heat.
  • They end unique geometry for wave releases. Best you get is a awful pattern and an (I) or something next to your name.
  • They introduced an unnecessary mode called faction play/Clan War, money and resources went into making this mode and updating it a lot, including killing anyone's interest in it with long toms and finally they released multiple game modes and dragged their feet on fixing the glaring issues for this mode. It was like a half heart-ed attempt to please the grognards that plague this game. This was a huge waste of resources that could have gone into making Solo/Group queue, the main game, better.
  • They take away 3/3/3/3 in Group queue and make it tonnage based, so people in 12 man teams have to run up against a motley crew of 2-3-4 man teams with 2-3 or so assaults or a bunch of heavies. The best teams resort to running all mediums and decimate the less organized group with 1000 more tons than them because 12 crabs> 6-8 assaults that can't figure out which one ot focus down. Also there is no match making in group queue.
  • The finally introduce other servers to play on, which works out for some and not for others.
  • Their match making is terrible so they do away with Elo, which tracked on each weight class, and introduced a tier system that floats everyone into tier 1 except the absolutely dedicated to losing players. Match making is now worse than ever and even I climbed to tier 1 when I am better off in tier 3 where I started.
  • Instead of waves they introduce individual mech packs. They put the best mechs in reinforcements for an extra chunk of change (usually, not always) or the best mech is the hero (deathstrike) or sometimes the hero is the worst mech. Banked premium becomes active premium meaning if you buy a pack and it comes out a couple months later but you're job just got a huge project that you have to stick with you lose all that premium.
  • They balance the game in the worst ways they could possibly. Listening way too much to the butthurt low elo/tier players and not enough to the good players who are rocking the meta and the competition.
  • They come out on Steam, and have a stand alone portal app, the portal app which will not finish downloading the game on this computer I'm using now or on the previous computer so I have to resort to Steam. Steam says I have put over 4500 hours in since its launch on Steam.
  • Solaris 7, I said it would be a waste, I said it would bomb and I was not surprised that no one plays it outside events and trading wins back and forth with friends to get those events done in an hour and move on to regular queues.
  • Russ declares the game dead.

#53 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 05:23 PM

2 minutes in.
"Part of what makes a game sticky... part of what makes it hard to give up...is your collection."
"Zynga introduced a new set of cards that basically said, immune to all previous cards."
*Tosses cards.*

Take this, but replace cards with mechs....and "immunity to" with "homogenized and indistinguishable in every aspect from animation to loadout to feel from"...oh and replace Zynga with PGI.

"PGI introduced a new set of mechs that basically said, homogenized and indistinguishable in every aspect from animation to loadout to feel from all previous mechs."

Now do this monthly for years.

#54 Kodyn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 01 June 2019 - 05:49 PM

Long story short, I learned the hard way that it didn't pay off to support the devs' poor choices and lack of understanding of their own game. I never really liked the mech pack as a system anyway- I spent money primarily on MC, a few alacarte mechs- but I stopped spending altogether as I saw the game get closer and closer to death from poor development.

I used to really enjoy this game, but now when I log on, I play a few matches, am quickly reminded of why it's no longer enjoyable, and log off, sometimes for months at a time. Not really a good thing to spend money on.

#55 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 June 2019 - 08:35 PM

Well the overwhelming response so far in my admittedly small poll is people simply prefer only the select mechs and with such a diversity of mech desires those that buy are fractured.

#56 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,375 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 08:51 PM

View PostKoniving, on 01 June 2019 - 05:23 PM, said:

2 minutes in.
"Part of what makes a game sticky... part of what makes it hard to give up...is your collection."
"Zynga introduced a new set of cards that basically said, immune to all previous cards."
*Tosses cards.*

Take this, but replace cards with mechs....and "immunity to" with "homogenized and indistinguishable in every aspect from animation to loadout to feel from"...oh and replace Zynga with PGI.

"PGI introduced a new set of mechs that basically said, homogenized and indistinguishable in every aspect from animation to loadout to feel from all previous mechs."

Now do this monthly for years.

I don't mind having a lot of mechs, it just feels like more options and more to level up.

Not everyone has this mindset but I enjoy leveling up mechs. I have 136 and only a few of them, the last few I purchased, are not mastered.

When I'm in group queue with friends and someone wants to take 100 tonner, I can drop to a 20 tonner.

If someone wants to take a 20 tonner I can jump into various 100 tonners.

I have 5 DWF (mastered) mostly set up differently and I would have bought a UV if I felt like spending money on this game.

I have mechs for when the team wants to bring narcs and lrms, as either myself being a narc light or a LRM boat.

I have mechs for medium rush 12 mans. I can bring my ACW 1 or I can take my CRB20 or I can be slower and take a SCR.

I have mechs to fill out the tonnage, I'm in a 55 ton mech and we have 5 tons available, before I let us drop I'll jump into a 60 tonner.

136 isn't a lot of mechs to the real collectors but it is to someone who spent a few years playing 3000+ matches of League of Legends. When I came back to MWO after I got sick of League I slowly worked my way up from my founders mech (AS7 D) and SDR 5D and now have over 100.

If we need AMS I can bring my 3 AMS NVA or KFX or a 2 AMS CRB or just throw AMS on and let someone else be the main iron curtain while I provide a little bit of help.

Maybe a dozen splat/laservomit/dakka/sniper/mixed builds I can play if we're dropping with a theme.

If I wasn't burned by how bad the NSR is I would still be buying mechs.

#57 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 12:13 AM

- Nightstar art changes & lack of communication made me cancel my first pre-orders (a few hours before they announced the changes)
- Blood Asp post-release geo nerf made me stop pre-ordering Ultimate packs
- Marauder II reminded me why I stopped pre-ordering IS 'mechs (since the Fafnir)

Surely the poll is missing a saltier option;
"PGI can't balance 'mechs" Posted Image

I'd probably still buy a (good) IS OmniMech pack, or a Komodo.

#58 F Wulf

• PipPip
  • Star Colonel II
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 01:08 AM

Actually I paused buying anything from PGI ~halve a year ago because I am not happy how the things in this game evolved.
MW5 as a singlepler game? While not a hardcore competitive player, I enjoy that aspect too much.
MW5 with friends? Will be hard to do fo me because my real life is hard toplan sometimes.

PGI was not taking enough care of MWO's core game - multiple decissions that I did not want to support, which drove away people I enjoyed playing with.

My biggest concern right now is the inability to stay affiliated with the faction I have been loyal to since I started playing and that our unit had been loyal to all the time!

First PGI makes me chose a loaylity then later takes it away again......

You get the idea.

Why did I buy some packs?: Because PGI was fair to me, so I wanted to be fair to them and support them. . The game is free , not pay to win.

Edited by F Wulf, 02 June 2019 - 01:11 AM.

#59 GweNTLeR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 583 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 01:32 AM

It was actually hard to sum up my thoughts, but it all comes to the following points:
1 switch from skill oriented shooter to red circle simulator for casual noobs;
2 lack of understanding of the core playerbase;
3 bad implementation of FP and Solaris;
4 lack of technical improvements for several years; Game engine is just bad and plainly outdated. Game is lagging on I7-8700. I hate shooting in transparent textures instead of mechs.
5 constant player loss due to the points above. You don't really wanna invest money in game nobody plays.
6 mechs I'm not interested in. Man, I really wanted LAO HU, Anubis, Argus.
7 lack of frequent steam mech packs updates.
TBQH, I don't really expect MWO to become better. But I still have some hopes for MW5 - I preordered MW5 collectors or whatever med tier is called.

Edited by GweNTLeR, 02 June 2019 - 01:35 AM.

#60 ice trey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts
  • LocationFukushima, Japan

Posted 02 June 2019 - 02:03 AM

Because I'm really not playing MWO anymore. I might have thrown it on twice in the past year.

HBS BT has finally scratched my Battletech itch for an atmospheric story driven game.

Also, I went from a good paying job, when the contract ran out got a bad paying job, and when that ran out became unemployed for the last two months and am living on life savings. Throwing money at a game I avoid playing because the load times are atrocious and is an overall frustrating experience doesn't seem like a good idea when every purchase is coming out of life savings and employment insurance.

I love the Mechwarrior franchise, but not online multiplayer. I felt the same way with past Mechwarrior games as well. I plan on purchasing MW5, but my confidence in PGI's effort has waned over the years. Alex Iglesias is a master of mech design, but that's really the highpoint of the whole game. I have more fun painting my mechs in the mechlab and imagining using it in a match than actually using it a match. The rest of MWO leaves me wanting. Even as a fan of the franchise since '95, I'm not about to drop fat stacks buying it preorder only to get a disappointing experience. I'm not seeing PGI having wargames on Hyper RPG to inspire their crew and past "preview" videos have also not been representative of the final product either. I'm going to wait until it hits, watch some let's plays for the first few missions, and if it looks like it's a well made game, I'll buy it full price.

If not, it's cyber monday steam sale wait for a >50% discount material.

Edited by ice trey, 02 June 2019 - 02:04 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users