Mechwarrior 5 Release Date & Epic Games Store Exclusivity

1380 replies to this topic

#281 Bluttrunken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 830 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 03:36 PM

Why is there so much hate because of this decision. PGI has to pay less to Epic than they have to pay Valve, especially (I guess) with an exclusivity deal. It's not like console exclusives where the game is locked behind a 300$ hardware barrier, it's a tiny download and an additional account creation. The launcher issue is getting obnoxious(I have 6(!) on my desktop) but honestly better than way back when I had an extra icon for every installed game. With a company in a financial position like PGI's it's a smart move, business-wise, and all gamers should be interested that Valve's cuts get reduced by additional competition. More competition always means more benefits for the customers. Epic is also giving away free games like candy atm, so it's a good moment to jump the bandwagon.

#282 Bongo TauKat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 559 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationPain, Inner Perpihery, Lyran Commonwealth.

Posted 25 July 2019 - 03:40 PM

I received this nugget of joy from PGI after I requested a refund.

Hello,

Thank you for getting in touch. As your transaction was made more than 6 months ago we are unfortunately not able to issue the refund to your original payment method.
However, if this solution is acceptable to you, I can initiate a Send Money transfer for the full refund amount of the MW5 pre-order ($49.99) to an active PayPal account. If you do not currently have a PayPal account, I can initiate the transfer process by sending it to your email. Once you receive that notification, the e-mail would then guide you through the steps for creating a PayPal account and receiving the transfer.

Please let me know if this works for you.

So I bought a top tier package with the stated release on Steam and now have been railroaded into using a service I want no part of. On top of that they won't even refund the full amount. So the offer of keeping the MWO content is a lie as they won't give you back what you paid.

I am never pre-ordering again. This is a fracking nightmare.

#283 SoliDeoGloria

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 03:42 PM

I think it's a good move. It's more money for PGI and they need that right now. I also think it will let them reach more people in the long run. To many new games are lost in the shuffle on Steam these days unless they pay up for Steam to promote them in the featured list.

The MW community is already small and we keep saying PGI needs to bring in new blood. Well, here's a way to do it plus get paid for doing it. On top of that...they are getting free advertising for MW5 in gaming media right now (planned or not) because gaming media is reporting on every Epic exclusive that comes up.

I also gotta say, I agree with Sweeny that 30% is ridiculous for having a game on Steam. Competition can only be good for the developers in the long run.

I do understand that people are upset about PGI saying this was on Steam and then changing...but think about it..when the game was originally announced and the release planned, Steam was the only game in town. There is also a very good chance that the discussions with Epic weren't even going on during pre-order and only began after the pre-order window closed. Even if the discussions were happening during the pre-order window, unless they were close to being final, it wouldn't make sense to say anything about it because they could have fallen through.

Edited by SoliDeoGloria, 25 July 2019 - 03:51 PM.

#284 FETTY WAP

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 456 posts
  • Locationspaaaace

Posted 25 July 2019 - 03:46 PM

What a dumb ******* idea. Refunded.

#285 Widowmaker1972

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 24 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 25 July 2019 - 03:49 PM

All I am going to say is this. I am very disappointed in the decision makers at PGI for letting this happen.This will be a horrible idea. The fans are expressing their dislike about this. PGI has the potential to make an legendary franchise game relevant again and you regulate it to a shady third rate gaming client? Does the management staff at PGI hate the small but loyal fan base so much? Epic Games has a questionable business practice at best and PGI places the game that programmers have worked very hard on for what 2 years? Shame on you all!
If the upcoming AMA does not yield a better option other than Epic Games I will have no other choice than to pull my pre order and any support that I as a player will have for this game. I NEVER pre order games. This is the first and PGI has ruined that.

This could have added players to the MWO fan base. A much needed resource since active players have been on the decline in the last year. I sincerely hope that sometime in the future another company that cares for it's players will take on the MWO and/or MechWarrior franchise and provide a better experience.
Shame on you PGI and Shame on you PGI management.

#286 FatherSarge

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 03:53 PM

View PostGrimm Shado, on 25 July 2019 - 02:48 PM, said:

I'm sorry you're upset about EGS exclusivity, I understand why you are upset, it's OK to be upset about this. But lashing out at others does not help. I really wish you would try to be nicer.

Got at least one person to do the research and see the light. Buzz off boomer

#287 Deathshade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 558 posts
  • Locationplaying Planetary / Community Warfare / Faction Warfare / Faction Play

Posted 25 July 2019 - 03:55 PM

View PostNightbird, on 25 July 2019 - 08:41 AM, said:

EPIC exclusive isn't going to destroy PGI, if anything it's an extreme success for them since EPIC pays for all dev costs + profit upfront when they sign the exclusive deal.

So instead of just ripping us off, they got EPIC to buy in to their promises too. Thats friggin Hilarious. I guess EPIC didn't do their homework on PGI.

#288 BROARL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • General
  • General
  • 301 posts
  • Locationcommunity warfare

Posted 25 July 2019 - 03:58 PM

December...
VR support?
*at least make it PvP so we can shoot all the millions of children who will now flock to buy MechWarrior because you just know EPIC will make MechWarrior a household name again and children are all heavy coiners ;)

#289 Sigmar Sich

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationUkraine, Kyiv

Posted 25 July 2019 - 03:58 PM

"They can't be that stupid" i thought.

Now i'm just sincerely bursting in laughter. Thanks PGI ! Posted Image

Also thanks for making my doubts disappear. No Steam - no MW5.

P.S. Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#290 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 04:04 PM

When this idea was first floated, I spoke up repeatedly in favor of Epic. Steam takes 30% and provides no real support. It's a literal forum to get help with your game on their platform. Also a firm believer in competition.

Then I used Epic Game Launcher.

It's been horrible. Absolutely horrible.

I'm no neophyte about computer security and this thing is straight up spyware. I don't mean that arbitrarily, I mean that it asks you for permissions and then when permissions are denied, accesses your files anyway. As I don't work for Epic I can't speculate as to who they do or do not share your information with but, to be 100% clear, the client will (attempt) to access files on your computer even if you decline to share that information during the installation process. It (attempts and will do so if not actively prevented via extraordinary steps) accesses files and content on your computer completely unrelated to the games you're installing and anything it needs to function.

Between my wife and I of the three games we've gotten on Epic, 1 has literally never worked. After what is now 2 weeks of working with support, it straight up will not work. One I was able to get to work after days of effort, one worked after about an hour.

Every interaction with support has been slow and useless. All progress on the games that worked being made to work was done by me and Google of other players with the same issues.

The client is clumsy, over-sized and bare-bones. There is absolutely 0 benefit in any form, fashion or function for me as a consumer to using it. It would literally be faster and more memory efficient to run the game directly. The EGS client provides 0 benefit or functionality or value. In fact is saps functionality by wasting resources running in the background and slows my launching of games.

Damn it PGI. I'm trying to find a reason not to refund but it's a real struggle. EGS is a bad product. I'm not saying that because someone said so on the internet - people bitching is WHY I tried to hard to use Epic as a steam alternative. I'm saying it because from first had experience it's been a bad product.

#291 Immerial

Rookie

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 6 posts
  • LocationSouth East Texas

Posted 25 July 2019 - 04:05 PM

This was the only game I was actually looking forward to this year and you just kinda ruined it, and not only for the EGS exclusive (Always seems like a cash grab and a slap in the face of backers) A beta just before the game launches is not a beta its a hype builder, you have been saying it will be open to beta early next month. This makes me think you will back out on other things that have been promised like MOD support. maybe that will be super limited and behind a paywall.....

You'll definitely need to release more videos on gameplay, game mechanics and actual progress not empty EA/Bethesda promises that seem to be all game devs lately. Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Super letdown especially since i was a founder of MWO as soon as possible and MW5 has been the only game I have TRUSTED to pre order in the past 5 years.

#292 Dank R Hill

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 04:05 PM

View PostBluttrunken, on 25 July 2019 - 03:36 PM, said:

Why is there so much hate because of this decision. PGI has to pay less to Epic than they have to pay Valve, especially (I guess) with an exclusivity deal. It's not like console exclusives where the game is locked behind a 300$ hardware barrier, it's a tiny download and an additional account creation. The launcher issue is getting obnoxious(I have 6(!) on my desktop) but honestly better than way back when I had an extra icon for every installed game. With a company in a financial position like PGI's it's a smart move, business-wise, and all gamers should be interested that Valve's cuts get reduced by additional competition. More competition always means more benefits for the customers. Epic is also giving away free games like candy atm, so it's a good moment to jump the bandwagon.

Yes, because "muh free gamez lol" is worth selling my soul to the Chinese Communist Party.... HARD PASS

#293 FatherSarge

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 04:06 PM

View PostBluttrunken, on 25 July 2019 - 03:36 PM, said:

You need to research a little better. Or just look at the last few pages.

#294 crazytimes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 04:09 PM

View PostDank R Hill, on 25 July 2019 - 04:05 PM, said:

Yes, because "muh free gamez lol" is worth selling my soul to the Chinese Communist Party.... HARD PASS

Thank for your service in the war against China. Your country needs more like you.

#295 Peter2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 July 2019 - 04:12 PM

Couldn't care less
If it's a good (well reasonably) game, I'll buy it

Mod support stays, soo, don't care
More money for PGI from sales and no royalties; if that is good or bad for one depends on how much disgruntled one has become from PGI's way of doing things

View PostTiantara, on 25 July 2019 - 03:32 PM, said:

- Emmm... something wrong?

People really don't like Epic Store, it's a trendy thing amongst gamers

Although I find it strange they don't just give out steam keys like Metro did

#296 Peter2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 July 2019 - 04:16 PM

Man I love how people react to this ****

View PostDank R Hill, on 25 July 2019 - 04:05 PM, said:

And Google, Apple, you're ISP, Microsoft, Facebook, WhatsApp,... man I only needed less then a second to think of those
Not like US tax payers info got hacked

Shrugs
Because giving away my email and linking the Epic store to my PayPal account is certainly telling someone a lot about me, but no worries about my twitter account, that's save

#297 STBlitzkrieg

• Pip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 16 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 25 July 2019 - 04:17 PM

I've come to the conclusion that every single person who thinks this is fine is either grossly ignorant or impossibly stupid.

Anti-consumer strong arm tactics with no real product parity? Check.

Proven security issues with strong ties to politically volatile parties? Check.

Lack of mod support or any infrastructure that rivals Steam? Check.

Gross dishonesty and the ole bait and switch? Check.

Research before you make asses out of yourselves. Seriously.

#298 AzureRathalos

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 185 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 04:18 PM

I am utterly heartbroken by this announcement.

I was already sold on MW5, having had a chance to play the demos at Mech_Con 2017 and 2018.
I was looking forward to playing it and I was even looking into upgrading my PC to improve my gaming experience.

However, I can not and will not support the Epic Games Store. I do apologize, but unless something drastic changes my mind, I will have to make a refund request.

Edited by AzureRathalos, 25 July 2019 - 09:53 PM.

#299 Mavor Lyons

Rookie

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 04:18 PM

Well, Im done spending any more money on MWO and I will be refunding MW5. I refuse to be held hostage by Epic's ******** exclusivity.

#300 Torchfire Katayama

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 114 posts
  • LocationNA

Posted 25 July 2019 - 04:20 PM

Posted Image

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users