Mechwarrior 5 Release Date & Epic Games Store Exclusivity

1380 replies to this topic

#321 Brakkyn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 05:01 PM

That chart is really...I dunno, biased? I mean "[Redacted] Spying" as one of the criteria? "Monthly Security Breaches"? Seems like the creator was just looking to make Epic look as bad as possible. It's also not likely to be updated when new features come out on Epic's launcher, nor changed when Epic's roadmap come to fruition.

Edited by draiocht, 28 July 2019 - 09:53 AM.
discriminatory language

#322 Haipyng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 593 posts
  • LocationIn Transit

Posted 25 July 2019 - 05:01 PM

Perhaps the most interesting thing is they seem to know the reaction this would cause and they are like. "Oh well, take your money back". *shrug*

Seems to be their attitude with anything, MW5 or MWO. Posted Image

#323 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 05:09 PM

Okay. I want to touch on this -

Epic Game Launcher isn't Chinese spyware or the like. Tencent has 0 access to your Epic information, the same as my owning stock in a company gives me 0 access to the information of their customers. They'll get the same reports that anyone can get access to like 10-Ks and such.

It tries to collect a ton of info about your system, everything you have installed and all your steam info and friends list and other contact information you've got. It's about as thirsty for your personal info as Facebook is, which is significant. However that's not inherently malicious. No more so than every single other platform you connect to is.

It is, however, clumsy and has 0 benefits for the consumer. None. There's 0 value in using that launcher. Whatever issues I have with Steam (and I have plenty) at least it provides me numerous benefits as a consumer. It's relatively light, it's got several built-in troubleshooting tools, communication tools, and I literally don't recall the last time any of the 197 games I have on Steam have had an issue.

There's 0 benefits to us for Epic. It's just a benefit to PGI in terms of more money but we are absolutely going to get an inferior experience than even what we'd get through even a PGI direct tool.

#324 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 25 July 2019 - 05:10 PM

Will the move to Epic have a material impact on modding?

I am counting on modders and modding to make MW5 playable, balanced and more 'immersive' than it will be if just left to PGI.

If this means less modding, then I'll be seeking a refund. I don't have any confidence in PGI delivering a quality or finished product solo.

#325 Vexxey

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 05:10 PM

Is this an out of season april fools joke?

#326 Darth Futuza

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 05:12 PM

View PostJack Shayu Walker, on 25 July 2019 - 04:39 PM, said:

No mods, no interest. No mods with Epic? I’ll take my money back, enjoy your dumpster fire.

Modding is absolutely possible with Epic release, there's just no EGS support for it out of the box, means the devs have to provide tools and such to do it with and people need to use things like Nexus for distributing it. As a modder, it won't really affect things that much as far as modding itself goes. I wouldn't call this the wisest decision, but modding is still going to happen until Piranha says they won't allow it (which makes zero sense in a offline single player and frankly won't be possible, I've modded things using assembly hacks if needed to before and it'll happen again if people want it badly enough).

View PostAppogee, on 25 July 2019 - 05:10 PM, said:

Will the move to Epic have a material impact on modding?

I am counting on modders and modding to make MW5 playable, balanced and more 'immersive' than it will be if just left to PGI.

If this means less modding, then I'll be seeking a refund. I don't have any confidence in PGI delivering a quality or finished product solo.

The only thing it'll really affect is modding distribution and making it a little harder on clueless player's to apply mods, unless PGI decides to screw modding over completely. Might have to use Nexus or something with no Steam Workshop.

Edited by Darth Futuza, 25 July 2019 - 08:43 PM.

#327 55555

• PipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 48 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 05:13 PM

I feel completely betrayed. Refund requested. Very sad news.

#328 Ghostrider0067

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 397 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationChandler, AZ, USA

Posted 25 July 2019 - 05:13 PM

As I'm going to be building a new rig soon, I had looked forward to what would likely amount to glorious mech combat in MW5. Given this decision, my thoughts of plunking down a single cent on a pre-order went right down the drain. There is absolutely ZERO inclination to give any money to PGI and/or some sketchy [Redacted] business venture. Zip, zero, nada.

You've played yourselves here, fellas... and this decision is one you are definitely going to regret.

Edited by draiocht, 28 July 2019 - 09:54 AM.
discriminatory language

#329 Gedrot

Rookie

• Little Helper
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 05:16 PM

View PostPeter2k, on 25 July 2019 - 04:27 PM, said:

It has always been overblown, with the other exclusive titles too

Quite frankly, while people are loud, there are also not that many really
Now a good old fashioned AMD vs Intel fanboy war, that is something
You have the hate AND the numbers

I used to not care about the EGS vs Steam fan-war but by now it's getting me become annoyed.
EGS is artificially forcing it's way into the market, through bought exclusive deals. They don't help to "fund" these titles they swoop in on projects close to release and offer money so said project only gets put up for purchase on their store-platform.
People don't like the practice and the precedent it might create.
EGS is bare bones in it's functionality. Even the integrated messenger is so basic you can't leave your friends a message while they are offline... wtf... There are a lot of other really basic features still missing even now. Like a shopping cart for example. To many purchases in a short amount of time can also trigger scam-prevention of some sort which might lead to your account getting banned or otherwise restricted.
Not going to talk about additional functionalities beyond: "there are none yet."

The timed exclusive also leads to people having to wait for an additional year for their game to be available to them on their preferred platform. Obviously cause for hurt feelings.
Metro:Exodus was giving out steam-keys to pre-orderers on steam to uphold legal obligations, MW5 isn't going to have such an action (MW5 FAQ).
And from what I've read here people did pre-order MW5 on the promise of receiving Steam or GOG keys, I haven't followed the pre-order hype because I don't pre-order, if this is true PGI might have made a bait-and-switch, a practice that is illegal in quite a bunch of countries. Not sure if the refund window absolves them from facing consequence though.

Personally, I'm not much effected by this, I'll still wait for reviews with gameplay showcases like I usually do. I've already taken the EGS dive with Metro the potential of my user-data being sold to some stranger... Between all the cookies, android, microsoft, google search and mail, my ISP, russian trolls and hackers and my own government collecting my data, why not also get some chinese organizations in the mix for some proper inclusion?
Oh yeah they care even less about human rights and individuals as all the other entities I counted before them. That could be a reason...

Why can't we have something that's just simply good and nice. *sigh*

#330 OldManRae Twitch

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 05:21 PM

Bye Bye PGI.

I feel sorry for all the people there who will be losing their jobs eventually because of this stupid move.

You shot your community in the face. RIP

#331 Deathshade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 558 posts
  • Locationplaying Planetary / Community Warfare / Faction Warfare / Faction Play

Posted 25 July 2019 - 05:22 PM

View PostStink Bug, on 25 July 2019 - 12:28 PM, said:

P.S. I'd definitely be upset in addition to disappointed if redeeming the MWO bonuses would have prevented a refund. Good on you PGI for taking refunds regardless.

That was most likely done because of all the code changes and database edits that would be needed to take them out of the system. They have shown time and time again that they are lazy coders.

I am with the founders and I stopped at the first lie for Community Warfare's first supposed release.

What PGI needs to go on and do is give us the Mod tools, turn off the game grind (why not, the game is dying) and let others remove all the history of nerfs. (ghost heat, charge mechanics, JJ's that don't work and for god sake knock downs.)

#332 Ngamok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 25 July 2019 - 05:23 PM

Will wait for Steam

#333 killkimno

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 107 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 05:24 PM

....... sigh

#334 Jackofallpots

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 219 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 05:27 PM

Russ in the AMA said earlier that 700 people have requested refunds.

#335 DriFD3S

• PipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 46 posts
  • LocationEdmonton

Posted 25 July 2019 - 05:32 PM

https://youtu.be/9gSQg1i_q2g

Posted Image

#336 Jackofallpots

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 219 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 05:32 PM

Out of 20,000 preorders I think

#337 AzureRathalos

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 185 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 05:35 PM

A few bits from the AMA:
- PGI is paying the refunds directly out of their pockets. There is no subsidy from EGS.

Q: What if I don't request a refund and I am willing to wait a year for the Steam Key?
A: They are going to look into that option. If it doesn't work out, the refund option will be open. It actually might be safer to refund and buy it later.

#338 Natural Predator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 690 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 05:39 PM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 25 July 2019 - 08:02 AM, said:

Posted Image

Greeting Mechwarriors,

It has been officially announced that Mechwarrior 5: Mercenaries will now be releasing on December 10th 2019 exclusively on the Epic Games Store.
Community Pre-order pilots will be able to access the Closed Beta to access practice missions in November, prior to the game’s full launch.

Our partnership with Epic Games store allows us the opportunity to make sure MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries meets our internal goal of creating the best MechWarrior game possible.

Fans looking to obtain refunds from their pre-order of any tier are able to do so by September 1st. Pre-order refunds of any tier will be refunded in full. Additionally, those seeking refunds will be able to keep all bonus MechWarrior Online content from the Standard, Collector and Ultimate Editions of the pre-order, which amount to $100, $180, and $300 dollars worth of in-game currency and content for MechWarrior Online including all bonus items like XP, premium time, badges, decals, cockpit items and more, depending on which pre-order tier purchased.

However, refunded pre-orders will forfeit their access to the full game and be unable to participate in the upcoming closed beta for MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries, now scheduled for November as well as lose the exclusive MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries DLC items.

For more details on MW5 or refunds, check out the FAQ on our MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries website.

Sold out to the Chinese government. Wow.

#339 Tiantara

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 815 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 05:42 PM

- Don't have steam launcher because of company safety restriction (that strange but...). I use PGI launcher as well as launchers for any other games instead of their steam version. So, to play in great game about mech with new improved graphics, physics and mechanics - I'm agree to use Epic Store. Also, because I use UE4 already in work from time to time. Hope mass refund don't impact too hard MW5 project and we still see and play great game.

#340 Nathan Wassenar

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 05:44 PM

I literally had bare bones, low tier expectations for this game as time went on. And I am still massively disappointed. Only complete incompetents would make this decision. Please disband your company and give all the rights to Harebrained Schemes since, unlike you, they don't suck.

Edited by Nathan Wassenar, 25 July 2019 - 05:46 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users