#301 Renzor the Red

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 328 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSol 3

Posted 25 July 2019 - 04:22 PM

I don't get it. I just saw TTB and Critical Rocket talking about this on YouTube. Rocket pitched a fit.

Why is everyone so ridiculously angry??

The release is delayed. Annoying, but okay if it means a better game.

Going exclusive with a store? Who cares? Why would you fault a company for going exclusive with something? Is it because you can't get it on Steam? I don't really want another game launcher since I already have Steam and GoG, but that's not that big of a deal. I don't see anything wrong with them making more money with an exclusivity contract for a year. I use exclusivity contracts in my business. It's no big deal, unless there's some huge problem with Epic messing up peoples' computers or something...?

This response seems rather overblown. Tell me. What's wrong with Epic that will prevent us from getting the game like we were going to? Is this really some sort of customer loyalty spat; Steam vs Epic, Ford vs Chevy, Coke vs Pepsi?

I don't see a reason to refund, bail on the game, and write it off as doomed. Educate me, mechwarrior bros...

Edit:
PGI, could you please make it so that players can give other players their mechs, c-bills, etc.? Because I'd love all of the pi$$pots freaking out and never playing MWO again to donate their mechs and mech bays to me. ;)
(Seriously, a player trading market would be fantastic!)

Edit 2:
I just set up an account with Epic, and they give away free games. Just got "Moonlighter" which was something that caught my eye in the past but I never bought. Cool.

Edited by Renzor the Red, 25 July 2019 - 04:38 PM.

#302 Peter2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 July 2019 - 04:22 PM

View PostBluttrunken, on 25 July 2019 - 03:36 PM, said:

Why is there so much hate because of this decision. PGI has to pay less to Epic than they have to pay Valve, especially (I guess) with an exclusivity deal. It's not like console exclusives where the game is locked behind a 300$ hardware barrier, it's a tiny download and an additional account creation. The launcher issue is getting obnoxious(I have 6(!) on my desktop) but honestly better than way back when I had an extra icon for every installed game. With a company in a financial position like PGI's it's a smart move, business-wise, and all gamers should be interested that Valve's cuts get reduced by additional competition. More competition always means more benefits for the customers. Epic is also giving away free games like candy atm, so it's a good moment to jump the bandwagon.

People hate Epic, and are scared of chinese investment firms mining data, when they have accounts on facebook, whatsapp, twitter, ..., use Android, Windows

Also
Better update GOG Galaxy then (though I guess it's still technically in Beta)
GOG Galaxy 2.0 can integrate Origin, Uplay, Epic, Steam, all in one launcher

Edited by Peter2k, 25 July 2019 - 04:23 PM.

#303 process

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 04:26 PM

lol nope. See you guys in 2020.

#304 Peter2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 July 2019 - 04:27 PM

View PostRenzor the Red, on 25 July 2019 - 04:22 PM, said:

I
This response seems rather overblown. Tell me. What's wrong with Epic that will prevent us from getting the game like we were going to? Is this really some sort of customer loyalty spat; Steam vs Epic, Ford vs Chevy, Coke vs Pepsi?

It has always been overblown, with the other exclusive titles too

Quite frankly, while people are loud, there are also not that many really
Now a good old fashioned AMD vs Intel fanboy war, that is something
You have the hate AND the numbers

Also GOG has a pretty nifty solution with Galaxy 2.0 in the works (and it does work), bundling basically all launchers library(and achievements) into Galaxy

#305 Haipyng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 593 posts
  • LocationIn Transit

Posted 25 July 2019 - 04:32 PM

1) A month for "beta" mean nothing. It's pre-access to the finished game, not a chance at squashing bugs and giving feedback that would hopefully improve the game. It seems that the advertised early access was over hyped. It's pre-access not beta access.

2) Very few people want to mount yet another game manager platform on their system. What happened to Steam?

3) As much as I want to be super excited for MW5, I can't. This IP comes with an rabid fan base. Why are there so many choices against want the majority of the player base want? Why ignore what they are begging you to develop/fix and push the E-sports angle?

This is why I wouldn't do the preorder. No confidence that the game will be close to what is sold. This is a nice way to start out. Maybe when we see what the reviews look like. It will need glowing reviews before I buy into it at this point.

#306 Renzor the Red

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 328 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSol 3

Posted 25 July 2019 - 04:33 PM

View PostPeter2k, on 25 July 2019 - 04:27 PM, said:

It has always been overblown, with the other exclusive titles too

Quite frankly, while people are loud, there are also not that many really
Now a good old fashioned AMD vs Intel fanboy war, that is something
You have the hate AND the numbers

Also GOG has a pretty nifty solution with Galaxy 2.0 in the works (and it does work), bundling basically all launchers library(and achievements) into Galaxy

So the GoG launcher can somehow connect to an Epic account and launch Epic games?

So far, trying to filter through this 14 pages of hyperbole, I've picked up here and there that Epic's launcher is problematic. Bypassing the launcher with another launcher would be good, if that was the case.

Edited by Renzor the Red, 25 July 2019 - 04:34 PM.

#307 STBlitzkrieg

• Pip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 16 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 25 July 2019 - 04:36 PM

Point blank, if you're too dumb to read the entire thread and attempt to understand the fact that people were promised a Steam key and are now being delivered an EGS key, I don't think conversing with you will be productive or a responsible usage of anyone's time.

#308 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,089 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 25 July 2019 - 04:36 PM

CALLED IT!

Thanks for screwing your patrons over.

#309 Rinkata Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 315 posts
  • LocationSoviet Clans

Posted 25 July 2019 - 04:37 PM

I will think about buying MW5 only when it will be available in Steam. As a Steam user I don't need any other vendor launcher, no matter how Epic it is. Sorry.

#310 Shadowomega1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 987 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 04:38 PM

View PostRenzor the Red, on 25 July 2019 - 04:33 PM, said:

So the GoG launcher can somehow connect to an Epic account and launch Epic games?

So far, trying to filter through this 14 pages of hyperbole, I've picked up here and there that Epic's launcher is problematic. Bypassing the launcher with another launcher would be good, if that was the case.

I heard of this and it is more or less a launcher loader, so you can save your login info and when you load a game it auto launches the launcher logs you in and launches the game. I do not know if it auto logs you out once the game is closed.

#311 Revener

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 223 posts
  • LocationSvea Rike

Posted 25 July 2019 - 04:39 PM

FFS PGI! :(

#312 Jack Shayu Walker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 04:39 PM

No mods, no interest. No mods with Epic? I’ll take my money back, enjoy your dumpster fire.

#313 Grathrith

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 04:43 PM

Great, just ******* great another game i wont buy because of a **** store like epic. **** you guys

Edited by Grathrith, 25 July 2019 - 04:44 PM.

#314 Insignus

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 44 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 04:44 PM

There is perhaps some confusion here.

Some people don't quite seem to understand the anger and frustration involved because they don't, perhaps, understand what it means to be dealing with Epic Games, or with what PGI has done.

Epic Game Store is bad news bears. People look at it and see the revenue share and say "oh, that's nice. Steam takes too much."

Steam takes what it does because steam has vastly greater features and capabilities than Epic does. It has an entire modding architecture that has to work across multiple engines, amongst other features.

All the things that Steam does? These take people to code, improve, and maintain. Servers to host that content, licensing, and administrative fees. That's overhead. You're getting a return on that. It's not just going into a scrooge McDuck vault. Is steam perfect? No. But it does do what it says it does, reliably.

Epic Games doesn't do those things. So right now? It has comparatively little overhead. It's revenue stream is predominantly fortnite, and its majority shareholder is a disreputable chinese company which is legally mandated to provide the Chinese Government with whatever information it believes relevant.

Your immediate thought is: "But Epic isn't a Chinese Company. They wouldn't steal our data."
Except they've already been caught doing so. On multiple occasions. From steam of all people.

Think ahead to the future. When Epic, in 10 years, does all the things Steam does.

Will that revenue cut be 12% still? Hard to say. Maybe it'll be 33%, on account of how badly mismanaged it is now.

But "Mah competition! Competition good!" Yes. Competition is good.

Except this isn't competition. Exclusivity and rent-seeking are anti-competitive practices. The market isn't deciding which platform is best because Epic Games is short circuiting the system at the developer level. The choice is being made for the consumer before the consumer ever sees the product.

This is destroying the gaming industry. Not as fast as loot boxes or the intellectual and qualitative collapse of the AAA system, but it is destroying it nonetheless.

And when you get on the hobby horse and crow about "Competition" and "Its just a launcher", what you're really doing is participating in the slow motion dismantling of the gaming marketplace, selfishly destroying the enjoyment and fun of everyone else because you don't want to stop and think about the consequences, or you just want to play. Playing is important. Its what we do.

But if we want to keep on playing good games, we can't in good faith support what Epic Games, and by extension Piranha, are doing to our games.

Because that would be Heresy.

Personally? I'll keep playing MWO. But I understand those that don't want to.

Edited by Insignus, 26 July 2019 - 03:51 AM.

#315 FatherSarge

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 04:45 PM

View PostSTBlitzkrieg, on 25 July 2019 - 04:36 PM, said:

Point blank, if you're too dumb to read the entire thread and attempt to understand the fact that people were promised a Steam key and are now being delivered an EGS key, I don't think conversing with you will be productive or a responsible usage of anyone's time.

This. Full stop.

#316 MrXanthios

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 186 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 04:47 PM

The community took it well :D

Well, I guess we will wait the end of the exclusivity. What I would have suggested anyway, hypothetically speaking, is to wait codex to do his magic, try the game and then see if it's worth the money.

Edited by MrXanthios, 25 July 2019 - 04:49 PM.

#317 boldluckless

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 04:52 PM

Wow I have stuck with this game for four years now and you pull this anti-consumer crap i refuse to support your company any more this sucks.

#318 Andrzej Lechrenski

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 96 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 04:54 PM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 25 July 2019 - 08:02 AM, said:

..exclusively on the Epic Games Store...

Sale lost.

Our partnership with Epic Games store allows us the opportunity to make sure MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries meets our internal goal of creating the best MechWarrior game possible.

What? How does choosing a garbage online distribution racket do anything but screw over the players just for an extra X% cut?

Fans looking to obtain refunds from their pre-order of any tier are able to do so by September 1st.

Clearly you already saw the backlash coming and just didn't care.

Edited by Andrzej Lechrenski, 25 July 2019 - 04:56 PM.

#319 Silver Pheonix

• PipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 59 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 25 July 2019 - 04:57 PM

I will not be playing this game or purchases. Since Epic store front is so bad and unplayer friendly. Your mistake will cost you millions. The player base will drop fast.

Edited by Silver Pheonix, 25 July 2019 - 04:59 PM.

#320 Zyffer

Rookie

• Giant Helper
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 05:00 PM

I held off preordering because for some reason I knew in my gut they would be betraying us like this. I was really excited for this game and was convincing friends to buy it when it came out. Glad we waited though. We won't be playing now and I seriously hope the game is a huge failure. You would deserve it.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users