• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 01:41 PM

View PostKhobai, on 15 December 2019 - 01:34 PM, said:

you cant play as a dinosaur either thats BS wtf PGI

I know man, what the hell!?
Posted Image
Or screw that, I wanna play as a DRAGON!
Posted Image
Wait, no I wanna play as an alien primate!
Posted Image
No wait, you know what's totally b.s.?
I can't play as a brain eating alien!
Posted Image
What kind of mech game is this where I can't paralyze someone and inject eggs into their brains!

#22 Jackal Noble

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 15 December 2019 - 01:41 PM

View PostKhobai, on 15 December 2019 - 01:34 PM, said:

you cant play as a dinosaur either thats BS wtf PGI

I was holding onto that as my only hope.
This game is dead to me.

#23 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 01:43 PM

(Okay that's enough trolling, I got stuff to work on to do.)

Began listing completed concepts on my mod page where the stats, etc. are ironed out down to the base cost of the weapons, cost of the ammo and cost per shell to reload.

#24 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,580 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 01:49 PM

View PostKoniving, on 15 December 2019 - 12:57 PM, said:

Bold is in the game.

Edit.
WAS in the game.
Now it's just a reference. In the beta it's in the game files a bit more so than here.

Thank you for the info. I used those 'Mechs just as examples that the Third Succession War is a bit early for really modern BattleMechs that will be designed 50 years in the future. Posted Image

View PostKoniving, on 15 December 2019 - 12:57 PM, said:

There's a number of other mechs too.
Seems the 3059 stuff has placeholders now rather than actual content, since they didn't actually belong in there quite yet. Seems PGI still has plans for MW5 beyond maintenance.

Steel your expectations, but... this I find more interesting.

Sounds good to me.

#25 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 15 December 2019 - 01:57 PM

Just wanted to add that there are 213 mechs in MW5 at launch.

#26 Daggett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 December 2019 - 02:13 PM

View PostNacho Man Randy Snackage, on 15 December 2019 - 12:09 PM, said:

a bunch of modders were able to make tanks and aircraft playable in mechwarrior living legends on an older engine with a smaller and arguably less seasoned staff. There is no excuse that the game is missing so much content.

You must be trollin...

The reason players can only control mechs but no other vehicles in MW5 is the same why they can't in MWO or even HBS Battletech:
The game is about f**ing mechs. It's called MECHwarrior, not TankWarrior or VTOLWarrior or CombinedArmsWarrior.
Mechs, bro! Posted Image

If PGI wanted to they could easily go the same route as MW:LL did, there are no technical reasons against that. But that's simply not their vision of a Mechwarrior game. And not mine either btw. And regardless of all the faults they make and the shortcomings of their games they have all the right to stay true to that vision.

Edited by Daggett, 16 December 2019 - 03:24 AM.

#27 Humpday

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 02:51 PM

View PostJackal Noble, on 15 December 2019 - 01:57 PM, said:

Just wanted to add that there are 213 mechs in MW5 at launch.

"Kinda" I've completed the campaign and outside of the base variant, the rest are locked behind the store front "Rare mech" RNG loot pool.
Not only that, but certain chassis all together do not appear in certain parts of the map. Mauler for example.

Overall I enjoyed the game but it has many flaws.

- spawning behind player after walking/clearing an area(already being addressed)
- cannot dictate pilot behavior defensive/aggressive short/long range, your mech is badly damaged, go over here and dont' move.
- poor lance controls. I set my middle click to F1 so it selects all -> attack target. But telling lance mates where to go is tedious and pretty miserable if you want your slower, bigger mechs out front and the lighter mechs in the back. EDIT: Or maybe add function to be able to group mechs into a pair? so that you can command those 2 but not the one either damaged mech or smaller mech that you want hanging out with you, or you dont want him running out in front leaving his slower assaults behind, getting shot the hell up.
- HUD, theres no hud, and the one that is there is, well I don't need to say anything, ya'll know.
- AI pathfinding is pretty poor, getting stuck spinning in circles. Defining a way point causes the mechs to turn around and walk backwards
for a few, and then they go, oh, wrong way...and turn back around to go to your marker
- the UI is doodoo, but you quickly get used to it, and later on forgive it. Small QoL things like a quick repair all mechs, as opposed to repair all parts of 1 mech. You have 4 damaged mechs no components destroyed, cool, 1 click, fix them all in one shot. And or quick repair all, with optional, replace with equivalent or next available part.

- mech looting/farming isn't a thing really and wasn't paced properly. I defaulted to just buying all my assaults and heavies, with the exception of end game where you end up with them on your loot pool, but dont' even want them since they are undergunned/armored. This also resulted in me running 1 lance composition almost all the way through. Which was just a rotating in and out of HBKs, a Black Knight, Orion, Warhammer in early mid game and later on adding a Stalker, Battlemaster, KCG, Anni(not a good idea to let your lancemates drive this), Atlas. I never got that, HELL YEAH!!! I just scored a $insert_mech_here!! Nope, I just went next door and bought one. Not to mention you dont' see heavies reguarly show up till level 10ish, and you can only get to level 15. Even then at level 15, Its still mostly 3-4 waves of lights and tanks, and a bunch of potato Riflemans/Jagers/Quickdraw/Thunerbolts. Ouside of high reward missions, you wont' really encounter a solid stack of Heavies or assaults.

Anyway yeah I found no joy in looting mechs, it was more of a chore sifting through the salvage screen than Christmas eve/day.

- The story waits wayyy too long to get engaged, and I think I can see players giving up and getting bored grinding for mechs. I think I reached like level 12 and already could ton up to around 370, and had 23mil in reserve so I just rifled through the campaign as fast as possible back to back all the way through. I can't say much but the end game bc it'll spoil stuff, but I found it to be the most engaging, and extremely difficult. Even when dropping with 2 fully kitted KGCs, Nightstar, Atlas you'll be hard pressed to make it out of the last
4-5 missions without severe damage Each mission. In the very last mission which, I can see to many being boarderline unwinnable, 1 lancemate died(Atlas), 1 mate in his Nightstar wasnt shooting(found out after the fact he lost both his gauss). My other KGC was mowed in half losing both his arms, my own KGC also was ripped in half losing both ELITE Gold ac20s(RIP I got to use them for 2 missions, and they were amazing) and my entire mech had no armor with red internals. The AI could have sneezed on my mech and killed me, thats after repairing 2x. I may reload my save and try again, but I doubt it'll be any better as the last missions are insanely difficult, you WILL lose a substantial amount of parts in the end game. Anyway, do the Yellow missions as fast as possible to get as much XP as possible to help you move faster through the story and get better loot. I wasted a ton of time doing regular missions, which kinda burnt me out.

EDIT: Just be warned the "high reward" missions can be boarderline unwinnable and you may have to take big losses to get your new toys, at the expense of repair bills/injury/loss of weapons high tier weapons mounted on mechs. One mission I sent 2 assaults and a heavy out to literally die and distract the enemy while I ran my Jenner out as fast as possible to demolish the objective... Didn't even shoot, just rammed the buildings while 4 full lances along with probably 15-25 tanks and or vtols were demolishing my Lance. And get this. Even with all that already on the field, after I killed the based(and my whole Lance) the mission dropped even MORE enemies to chase me down. It was literally insane. I have no clue how else to beat that mission other than sheer speed. A 400 ton Lance would have issues dealing with literally the entire capellan army bearing down on them.

- Lastly, I think this may bother most people, but the difficulty scales up violently. One minute you're breezing through things, next thing you know you're 15 reloads into a mission going...
this gdamn mission is not at all possible to complete, which btw, fun fact...if you've gotten to that point, you're running the wrong lance composition. Tonnage is just the upper restriction and it does NOT mean you should always fill it up. Sometimes, it'll say 270 ton restriction, but its actually better to take 4 lights, rather than try to fight an armada.

- I dont' like that most mech variants outside of the base mech are locked behind the storefonts "rare mech" thing, which is also gated by region.

Edited by Humpday, 15 December 2019 - 07:09 PM.

#28 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 15 December 2019 - 02:59 PM

It was in regard to how many are actually in the game via IA, not the RNG of a single playthrough.

I think (am ok) that mechs (Mauler example) should be restricted to some regions, I'm saying this without referencing, but would imagine it would pair along with the setting. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Agreed about the lance stuff. Need some pre-defined Lance tethers or playbook type stuff to really take advantage of mixed lances.

Other than that, good insight Hump.

Edited by Jackal Noble, 15 December 2019 - 02:59 PM.

#29 Button man

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 02:59 PM

this joker apparently has no clue where the clans were in 3015, he seems to be one of those that thinks the clans are the be all and end all of battletech.
Also compares a game that has been out for a while against a game not even a month old.
do not know about most people but i play a mech game to play in a MECH..so i do not care about tanks or helicopters
also he seems to think all mech units in 3015 had helicopters and tanks etc...
what do you mean by not being able to buy or repair things not industrial worlds?..what industrial worlds?..i have repaired my lance/mechs on every world ive fought stuff on..also been able to buy stuff on almost all..

i could go on and on like this guy..but he is just sore cause what..the game is not what HE wanted?..he cannot compromise? its his way or the highway?..

personally i am getting over the issues for now knowing they will probably slowly get fixed (looking on hopeful side) and enjoying the game

#30 HammerMaster

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 15 December 2019 - 03:53 PM

Clans ruined BattleTech so good riddance.
Timeline they are not in anyway.
Vehicles? This is not Living Legends. (They have dudes running around too. Wish we could.)
MW4 comparo? Please.

#31 50 50

• 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 15 December 2019 - 05:32 PM

This has been an entertaining read.
I give it, 7/10

#32 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 15 December 2019 - 06:02 PM

Just a reminder: Mechwarrior 4 Mercs also had Mech DLCs for a rather hefty price tag.

#33 AurioDK

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 06:28 PM

I think variety is what the OP is asking for, I made a thread too asking for more to do other than the same missions over and over.

Many of the mechs feel and act the same because the tech early on is extremely limited. The first mech I got where I felt a big difference in how I dealt with the enemy was the Jagermech. It could just be an individual thing.

What could have been done in MW 5:

1. Individual tick boxes for lance mates: Prioritize vehicles/aircraft. Keep distance. Player target priority .. etc.

2. Abilities within the field. We could be buying our own tanks/aircraft and call them in as reinforcements.

3. Requesting emergency evac to withdraw from a mission. (Maybe it´s possible?)

4. Reconnaissance scout to check for rare and hero mechs and other conflict areas.

5. Paying a lower ranked AI lance to assist, actually issuing a contract. (Don´t know if that´s lore friendly)

6. Field repair buildings and other interactive objects like activating turrets. (it´s in one of the early missions, maybe they are around I have missed them)

7. Leveling our crew including staff to make them more capable in scouting, repairing, finances, maintenance costs etc.

8. Enemies fleeing? ( Don´t know if that´s lore friendly either)

9. Telling our lance mates to get the heck out of the battle zone and go hide.

Overall just more stuff, more variety whether it´s on the battlefield or in the spaceship. More interactivity.

Edited by AurioDK, 15 December 2019 - 06:30 PM.

#34 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 15 December 2019 - 07:17 PM

View PostAurioDK, on 15 December 2019 - 06:28 PM, said:

I think variety is what the OP is asking for, I made a thread too asking for more to do other than the same missions over and over.

I get that you can't personally scout each individual mission but you can check the Intel on a planet and find out who the warring factions are and what kind of mechs would be deployed.

As for telling the Lance-mates to withdraw, you can order them to go to a specific location that you highlight.

Two massive issues with MW5 is the HUD and the Lance-mate commands. The HUD layout is very poor and lacks any real artistic touch to actually make it like a HUD in a mech. As for the lance-mate commands, a simple radial menu would've worked wonders but instead, we have the archaic "push-Function-buttons".

#35 Sir Wulfrick

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 872 posts
  • LocationIn a warship, over your planet :-)

Posted 15 December 2019 - 08:18 PM

Given how insane some of the later missions get in terms of difficulty, being able to spend say 50M c-bills on a bigger drop ship would be good. A single lance, even comprised entirely of carefully designed assaults, is borderline insufficient late game. It'd be great to be able to command a second lance.

#36 ingramli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 554 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 01:10 AM

PVE, PVP factor aside, only focus on the mechlab and the fun of making different builds, MW5 is even worse than MWO (and the gameplay of MW5 ifself is way below my expectation, at least in campaign mode)

#37 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 01:42 AM

View PostAurioDK, on 15 December 2019 - 06:28 PM, said:

2. Abilities within the field. We could be buying our own tanks/aircraft and call them in as reinforcements.

Done in MechCommander 2. Being able to call upon drops of additional support from your employer, at a premium.

3. Requesting emergency evac to withdraw from a mission. (Maybe it´s possible?)

The "Abort" feature is supposed to be this.
Sadly it isn't as good as what I'd like to imagine, Titanfall's "Get to the choppa" requirement for the losing team would mean if you chose to abandon the mission you still gotta get out of there alive. Least that's what I would like.

4. Reconnaissance scout to check for rare and hero mechs and other conflict areas.

Something you can send out or a mission type?
Considering we have a dropship that will tell us about vehicles/mechs spawning, I'm surprised we can't tell them to scan areas for us (and need to make sure there's no anti-dropship weaponry nearby that might hurt them).

5. Paying a lower ranked AI lance to assist, actually issuing a contract. (Don´t know if that´s lore friendly)

...Elaborate, I don't quite ---wait I got it.
Okay so hiring another AI lance to assist yours.
Well technically it would be lore-friendly though it isn't common that mercs hire other mercs. I could definitely see this, though.

6. Field repair buildings and other interactive objects like activating turrets. (it´s in one of the early missions, maybe they are around I have missed them)

Yeah there's one alongside the Jenner mission. I would think there are more but I wouldn't know.

7. Leveling our crew including staff to make them more capable in scouting, repairing, finances, maintenance costs etc.

This was supposedly a thing...but it doesn't seem to be here. Someone even noted that in MechCon 2018 the technician had a level.
Now we have Fahad....

8. Enemies fleeing? ( Don´t know if that´s lore friendly either)

Extremely lore friendly. In large conflicts once a battle is declared over, a ceasefire is issued, each side collects their dead, losing survivors are usually allowed to leave (their machines/salvage are forefeit).
In losing, a mercenary force is permitted to collect the gear they lost, minus the winner's choice of salvage, and the surviving mercenaries are ransomed back to their unit. Defeating mercenaries with them still alive is ideal for any faction. Though a low standing might get the mercs executed.

Raiders wouldn't be so lucky but they would want to run away.
The AI has an event call for too much damage. I can also add in a retreat function, where it will try to withdraw from the field.

9. Telling our lance mates to get the heck out of the battle zone and go hide.

Could be like above. At a certain threshold of damage if not currently under attack they could decide to try and withdraw where if they get a certain distance from you they can be "picked up."

Edited by Koniving, 16 December 2019 - 01:45 AM.

#38 The Amazing Atomic Spaniel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  • LocationBath, UK

Posted 16 December 2019 - 02:15 AM

Some nice suggestions in this thread from AurioDK & Co., but I keep coming back to the unavoidable fact that this is a small developer in a very narrow niche market that hasn't supported a game for almost 20 years. I'm still amazed at what they managed to give us, reasonably on time and (I presume) in budget. Can you imagine the business pitch, "we want to make a PC-only game in a dead franchise where most of the players will be over 50". PGI must be very persuasive.

For me, my one over-riding fix I hope the modders can deliver (looking at you, Koniving) is to be able to go from the floor of the mechbay upstairs to talk to Northern Lady without having to navigate those ******* stairs every time.

#39 Fotracul

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 79 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 05:53 AM

I disagree, the only problems are the random crashes due to the procedural level generation.
Either than that, PGI made a kick-*** job with the game, unlike the microsoft studios who was a random game studio that got the rights to make a game, and had no idea about the idea of battletech!
PGI spend years, since 2013 working with battletech lore and getting experience with MWO, they were the best choice to make a brand new MW5, considering the state of game development today, if a random studio would had created MW5, probably gameplay and battletech atmosphere wise it would suck bad, even if the game would had been more stable. PGI never had experience with unreal engine, so that was a problem and it still is, but they have time to fix the crashes

#40 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 06:19 AM

^ lul, mech assault still rated higher.

Less lore; higher score.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users