Piranha Games Refuses To Give Me A Refund.

136 replies to this topic

#1 Guy Humual

• PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 17 December 2019 - 01:41 PM

So almost a year ago I put my faith in Piranha games and preordered a game called Mechwarrior 5 Mercenaries, stupid of me I know, but at the time they seemed like a reputable company. A few months passed, I got some stuff for mechwarrior online, then life happened, my father passed away, stuff came up at work, I really didn't pay much attention to the game. Little did I know that was my mistake.

Then comes November 21st, I get my very first email from Piranha and it's about the beta but it's only accessible through something called the Epic Store. I read on to find out that the game is now an Epic Games exclusive. I'm sure many of you here are more familiar with this than I was. I contacted support the next day and asked for a refund. My first contact was someone called GM Patience and they explained that they couldn't offer refunds after November 1, 20 days after I received my very first update about the game. I pointed this out and then GM Patience lied to me and told me that I'd received an email explaining this back on August 6th. I have an email address specifically for gaming and no such email exists. I have every email from "Mechwarrior Online" "Xsolla" from the past 2 years, and to this date I've only ever gotten two emails from Piranha games, one dated November 21st, and the other December 9th. GM patience then told me that I could go pound sand as I'd collected some mechwarrior online bonuses, you know back when I was still playing the game, back when I thought it was going to be released on steam, but apparently I was supposed to track Mechwarrior 5 to make sure they were doing what they promised back when I initially bought the game. It's my fault they were dishonest I guess.

The December 9th email was them informing me that I could collect my ticket for a platform I have no intentions of using. I asked again for my money back. This time it was someone called GM Serenity that told me they already had my money and I could go f**k myself. Even though I had access to a key for my preordered game I now had less rights than a normal dissatisfied customer. If I'd been dissatisfied with my game on Steam I could have gotten a full refund, but apparently not if you were stupid enough to pay months ahead of time. Anyways, I'm so pissed off right now, I'm thinking of just having them delete my MWO account. I'm never playing mechwarrior 5 at this point. I was thinking of buying it again when it comes on Steam, if they'd refunded my money, but I can't see myself doing that now. I want nothing more to do with Piranha Games and I only wish them ill will at this point. I could understand moving over to the Epic Store if they got a better deal, and I can accept delays, I didn't need to play Mechwarrior 5 when it released. As I said I would have waited and bought it on Steam but as they've now made it clear that they don't respect me as a customer or a fan they've lost me as both.

I don't imagine this post will be acknowledged, it will likely be deleted, but for the record all I wanted was my money back. I'm happy to eat the $69.48 I spent. honestly, it will save me a ton of money in the long run, and I only post this here on MWO forums because I couldn't find a place to post it on the MW5 site. If you want to comment please respect the fact that I don't want to use Epic Games, and while I absolutely don't trust them as a company, it's manly because I don't want to install another program, set up another account, track another password, worry about privacy concerns for a game that I thought I was going to be able to use on Steam.

#2 Unleashed3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 525 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 December 2019 - 01:51 PM

another Epic mimimi thread, nice wall of text, thanks for paying. Posted Image

#3 Jackal Noble

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 17 December 2019 - 01:56 PM

View PostGuy Humual, on 17 December 2019 - 01:41 PM, said:

angry wall of text

That is funny because every other experience from members here has been very positive with regards to how helpful GM Patience is and has been over the entirety of MWO/MW5. Both myself and others can attest that PGI support is some of the best at resolving issues. Yes the whole transition from Steam to EGS riled the community, but after the meltdown everything coalesced and everyone is still alive.

Food for thought -If it's really that bad and big of a deal to you, you could sell your key if you don't want it. Make a post on here asking if anyone is interested, sell it for say 3/4 to half off and it will probably get bought within the next 24 hours. I might even be interested.

You honestly seem like you have already made up your mind, so not sure if this is just a post to show the world how angry you are.

$69.48 - not sure what package that is.

Edited by Jackal Noble, 17 December 2019 - 02:01 PM.

#4 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 17 December 2019 - 02:00 PM

Also, sorry to hear your father passed. It's not easy.

#5 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 17 December 2019 - 02:05 PM

Yeah, the refund situation is **** TBH.

If you haven't used the product you should be able to return it.

Not sure if you can even sell the key you have to recoup cost.

#6 Pain G0D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sho-ko
  • Sho-ko
  • 617 posts

Posted 17 December 2019 - 02:19 PM

To be fair the MC you received for MWO was the exact value of the money you spent . Add to that you got a mechpack and 4 premium mechs .

#7 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 17 December 2019 - 02:19 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 17 December 2019 - 02:05 PM, said:

Not sure if you can even sell the key you have to recoup cost.

?
As long as OP is being genuine and not smear posting, has an actual key it's absolutely do-able. There's this thing called paypal.
EGS only asks for a redeem key, much like MWO. It isn't tied to a PGI MW5 account at all.

Edited by Jackal Noble, 17 December 2019 - 02:20 PM.

#8 Guy Humual

• PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 17 December 2019 - 02:49 PM

View PostJackal Noble, on 17 December 2019 - 01:56 PM, said:

That is funny because every other experience from members here has been very positive with regards to how helpful GM Patience is and has been over the entirety of MWO/MW5. Both myself and others can attest that PGI support is some of the best at resolving issues. Yes the whole transition from Steam to EGS riled the community, but after the meltdown everything coalesced and everyone is still alive.
GM Patience is the one that lied to me and told me I got an email in August when I didn't. Can't say I have a very high opinion of them at the moment. Also I'm glad everyone here had their meltdown and coalesced, I only found out about it in November. I've emailed behind the scenes but seeing as I'm out of options, save filing a complaint with the better business bureau, I'm still freshly peeved off.

Food for thought -If it's really that bad and big of a deal to you, you could sell your key if you don't want it. Make a post on here asking if anyone is interested, sell it for say 3/4 to half off and it will probably get bought within the next 24 hours. I might even be interested.
It's not about the money, I'd just as soon tell them to close my account and delete the key.

You honestly seem like you have already made up your mind, so not sure if this is just a post to show the world how angry you are.
I intended it more as a warning to anyone else thinking of buying from this company, a cautionary tale, but feel free to believe whatever you want.

$69.48 - not sure what package that is.

Probably the most basic package, with the Canadian exchange rate and taxes factored in, I just posted what was on the receipt.

#9 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 17 December 2019 - 03:00 PM

OP reads like a troll posting to me, as besides the announcements here on this website about the Epic exclusive deal back in May I think it was, they emailed all the community pre-order buyers also letting them know they had the option to refund their purchase of MW5 and ohyeah, they got to KEEP all their redeemed MWO bonus content. There WAS a time limit on doing that refund though. Maybe check your damn junk / spam mail folders for the emails they sent ?! Nah... that'd be too obvious and common sense based. Easier to make up **** about PGI.

As to Epic's platform... you need it only to redeem the keys and install the game. You don't actually need it to play the game. I leave my epic launcher off most of the time except when there's a patch/hotfix released for MW5, then its open only long enough to install that patch and when I'm done I close the application. It took me five mins to create an epic account and download the Epic launcher.

Edited by Dee Eight, 17 December 2019 - 03:01 PM.

#10 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 17 December 2019 - 03:03 PM

View PostGuy Humual, on 17 December 2019 - 02:49 PM, said:

Probably the most basic package, with the Canadian exchange rate and taxes factored in, I just posted what was on the receipt.

Yep, that makes sense.
Sell your key, recoup some of the cost and wait for it to come on steam and if you feel like it's worth your time get it then.

Lastly, have you checked your spam folder? sometimes **** gets lost in there.

From a consumer standpoint, make a personal note just use your unfortunate experience not to pre-order again.

I understand the resistance against getting another client as I went through a similar debate myself. I pulled the trigger and am glad because I have enjoyed the game thus far.

#11 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 17 December 2019 - 03:04 PM

View PostJackal Noble, on 17 December 2019 - 02:19 PM, said:

?
As long as OP is being genuine and not smear posting, has an actual key it's absolutely do-able.

That may or may not be a violation of the terms of service.

So like what if you DO sell your key, and the person that purchases ends up getting the hammer for it?

#12 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 17 December 2019 - 03:08 PM

better business bureau, I'm still freshly peeved off.

BBB has no legal authority over companies that don't belong to their association. Its generally speaking a toothless association even then. It isn't a government agency and has no ability to actually enforce anything against non-members.

I intended it more as a warning to anyone else thinking of buying from this company, a cautionary tale, but feel free to believe whatever you want.

Wow...are you (insert colorful language here) new here or what ?!? Now we all know you're trolling....PGI being PGI wasn't in any way a surprise to people.

#13 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 17 December 2019 - 03:11 PM

As far as this is concerned, and as you noted yourself, you are a bit late for the party/ missed the bus on that one.

View PostPrototelis, on 17 December 2019 - 03:04 PM, said:

That may or may not be a violation of the terms of service.

So like what if you DO sell your key, and the person that purchases ends up getting the hammer for it?

We could definitely use some clarification on the matter.
How else do you suppose one would purchase MW5 for some one else?
OP already said it's not about the money, so they could good will to someone - if purchasing another's key is a violation (doubt), giving a key out would not be.
Can I haz your stuff?

#14 Guy Humual

• PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 17 December 2019 - 03:16 PM

View PostJackal Noble, on 17 December 2019 - 03:03 PM, said:

Lastly, have you checked your spam folder? sometimes **** gets lost in there.

I checked my spam folder, I even checked my recycle bin, I had three emails on that date, none of them are from Piranha Games.

#15 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,065 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 17 December 2019 - 03:26 PM

This and pgi's mwo history is why I never pre-order-ed even before the egs s--storm. My preference for steam paid off big on this game. Sucks about the lack of support. They must have came down on support because its rare for support not to fix a case assuming you didn't send an angry bleep filled rant to them about your case.

#16 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 17 December 2019 - 03:38 PM

https://www.metacrit...r-5-mercenaries

74/100 metascore, 5.2/10 user score, sums it up

#17 Jyi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 263 posts

Posted 17 December 2019 - 03:42 PM

View PostUnleashed3k, on 17 December 2019 - 01:51 PM, said:

another Epic mimimi thread, nice wall of text, thanks for paying. Posted Image

Dude lost his dad and PGI has been very unprofessional about this whole EGS deal, not to mention the subpar product that MW5 is.

Aren't you tired of being such a piece of sh*t?

#18 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 17 December 2019 - 04:08 PM

As long as the EPIC key has not been redeemed, PGI should refund, because what was promised was a Steam key and what was offered as a trade was an EPIC key. Can you imagine ordering a pair of pants online, getting delivered a sweater while you're on vacation, and being told, nope, you can't refund because you were on vacation? It's not like the product was consumed when the key was not redeemed.

#19 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 17 December 2019 - 04:12 PM

View PostJackal Noble, on 17 December 2019 - 03:11 PM, said:

How else do you suppose one would purchase MW5 for some one else?
OP already said it's not about the money, so they could good will to someone - if purchasing another's key is a violation (doubt), giving a key out would not be.
Can I haz your stuff?

There is no gifting on EGS.

Best you can do is paypal someone so they can buy things themselves.

#20 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 17 December 2019 - 04:24 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 17 December 2019 - 04:12 PM, said:

There is no gifting on EGS.

Best you can do is paypal someone so they can buy things themselves.

It wasn't a question. That would be a work-around gifting.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users