Heals

87 replies to this topic

#41 dario03

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander
  • 3,627 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 11:10 AM

View PostDimento Graven, on 18 February 2020 - 03:50 PM, said:

Nah, just pointing out a potential scenario where the most worthless 'mech is potentially f'ing over his team.

Besides, someone has to got to try and counter the "...oh woe is us..." alligator tears of light centric pilots...

View PostBrauer, on 18 February 2020 - 04:21 PM, said:

Light pilots aren't the ones I hear complaining...

View PostDimento Graven, on 19 February 2020 - 06:49 AM, said:

Until someone suggests something like knock downs, or collision damage, or physical attacks, or upping assault torso pitch/yaw range and speed by a small percentage, and then it's "Oh woe is us light pilots, do anything that isn't a buff to us and we're just gonna die, die, die..."

LOL...

Wait so threads get made asking to buff assaults while nerfing lights despite everything showing the buffs/nerfs should be the other way around. And because of these threads light and/or people that want balance go into said thread to point out how that wouldn't be balanced... But its light pilots going "woe is us" with alligator tears?

#42 Brauer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 11:15 AM

View PostDimento Graven, on 19 February 2020 - 11:00 AM, said:

Overly simplistic.

Like what?

They have historically, and we're only on the second page of this thread and ain't it locked yet so...

Oh my F'ing gawd... If we took out everything PGI ever initially implemented with incredible flaws we'd have ZERO game.

Yeah I realize PGI has removed pretty much every resource they could from this game, it doesn't prevent us from discussing what we'd like to see in future versions of this game, or in the future of this game if/when it's acquired by another company with actual talent, actual advertising budgets, and some actual intent on going beyond the 'minimally viable' threshold.

Again, examples please.

Knockdowns, collisions, physical attacks would affect all mech classes equally, the only disproportionate effects would be against the low skill players, which my response is... And?

Knockdowns and melee are misguided proposals. My opinion on that should be clear from our discussions here.

FYI any stunlock mechanic, like knockdown, has more potential to impact lights than other mechs, particularly with the way people (like yourself) have proposed scaling the impact necessary for knockdown by tonnage. I agree with proto than stunlock mechanics are unfun and have no place in the game.

Re: pie in the sky dreams like getting functional melee, your reasoning for it (that somehow you'll be able to cope with lights if you get melee) are pretty misguided. I don't see how players who can't kill lights at short range with hitscan (or effectively hitscan due to velocity and short range) weapons are going to hit lights with a melee attack reliably enough for it to matter. Based on your comments it sounds like you want a big aoe attack that murders lights anywhere around you because they ganked you too many times for your liking.

Personally, I don't see a compelling reason for melee in this. It would be unlikely to change gameplay much imo, and it adds so many opportunities for janky implementations that I'd rather resources be directed elsewhere even if another dev were to take up MW.

View Postdario03, on 19 February 2020 - 11:10 AM, said:

Wait so threads get made asking to buff assaults while nerfing lights despite everything showing the buffs/nerfs should be the other way around. And because of these threads light and/or people that want balance go into said thread to point out how that wouldn't be balanced... But its light pilots going "woe is us" with alligator tears?

Right?!?

#43 Dimento Graven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 11:17 AM

View Postdario03, on 19 February 2020 - 11:10 AM, said:

I just love how a buff to assaults is perceived as an auto-nerf of lights, especially when NOTHING was changed on the light 'mechs...

Again, alligator tears...

#44 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 19 February 2020 - 11:19 AM

View PostDimento Graven, on 19 February 2020 - 11:17 AM, said:

I just love how a buff to assaults is perceived as an auto-nerf of lights, especially when NOTHING was changed on the light 'mechs...

Yes, when assaults get a buff that means relatively speaking lights get weaker. And lights are already the least popular, hardest class to play

#45 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 11:24 AM

View PostBrauer, on 19 February 2020 - 11:15 AM, said:

FYI any stunlock mechanic, like knockdown, has more potential to impact lights than other mechs,
See, there you go. Add a new feature and some how lights are getting nerfed.

Zero credibility.

particularly with the way people (like yourself) have proposed scaling the impact necessary for knockdown by tonnage.
Actually my proposals incorporated tonnage and 'mech velocities, more or less incorporating original table top criteria.

I agree with proto than stunlock mechanics are unfun and have no place in the game.
And I've suggested ways of avoiding stun lock.

But the minute you propose knockdowns the light centric nay sayers scream hysterically "stun lock, stun lock, stun lock, light nerf, stun lock, light nerf!!!"

Re: pie in the sky dreams like getting functional melee, your reasoning for it (that somehow you'll be able to cope with lights if you get melee) are pretty misguided. I don't see how players who can't kill lights at short range with hitscan (or effectively hitscan due to velocity and short range) weapons are going to hit lights with a melee attack reliably enough for it to matter. Based on your comments it sounds like you want a big aoe attack that murders lights anywhere around you because they ganked you too many times for your liking.
Your assumptions are idiotic and your 'stealth' personal attacks humorous.

Personally, I don't see a compelling reason for melee in this. It would be unlikely to change gameplay much imo, and it adds so many opportunities for janky implementations that I'd rather resources be directed elsewhere even if another dev were to take up MW.
Mainly because it'd be fun to have, if no other place than in Solaris.

Yet people still argue against it EVEN THERE, where hardly anyone ever plays (beyond the seasonal start event).

They are THAT afraid of it.

View PostHazeclaw, on 19 February 2020 - 11:19 AM, said:

Yes, when assaults get a buff that means relatively speaking lights get weaker. And lights are already the least popular, hardest class to play
Posted Image

#46 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 11:25 AM

View PostHazeclaw, on 19 February 2020 - 11:19 AM, said:

least popular, hardest class to play

Least played, lowest scoring, worst performing class in the game.

#47 dario03

• Galaxy Commander
  • 3,627 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 11:33 AM

View PostDimento Graven, on 19 February 2020 - 11:17 AM, said:

Some of the things asked for are direct nerfs to lights and even if they are not direct nerfs, buffing one class makes them stronger which means the effectiveness of the other classes are nerfed in relation.
Also you missed the point. If people are making threads asking to buff the strongest class then who exactly is going woe is us with alligator tears?

#48 Brauer

• 1,066 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 11:36 AM

View PostDimento Graven, on 19 February 2020 - 11:24 AM, said:

See, there you go. Add a new feature and some how lights are getting nerfed.

Zero credibility.

Actually my proposals incorporated tonnage and 'mech velocities, more or less incorporating original table top criteria.

And I've suggested ways of avoiding stun lock.

But the minute you propose knockdowns the light centric nay sayers scream hysterically "stun lock, stun lock, stun lock, light nerf, stun lock, light nerf!!!"

Your assumptions are idiotic and your 'stealth' personal attacks humorous.

Mainly because it'd be fun to have, if no other place than in Solaris.

Yet people still argue against it EVEN THERE, where hardly anyone ever plays (beyond the seasonal start event).

They are THAT afraid of it.

Posted Image

Lights depend on mobility to live more than any other class. Adding stunlock creates additional situations where they lose that mobility. That's a nerf.

Also, relative strength is one of the most important things to consider and how you can see, or argue, that a buff primarily to one class is not a nerf to other classes is hard to fathom.

Re: my assumptions, I've watched you get tormented by lights. Based on what I've seen I don't see how melee will help you against them. I've seen you get jammed up by a stealth flea with low dps and how you couldn't even seem to locate it or turn accordingly even though it was clear where it was. How's melee going to help unless it's a 360° aoe effect? Rather than arguing that the game should be made easier for you why don't you learn to deal with lights? It's often not that hard considering how squishy they are.

#49 Xiphias

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 862 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 12:08 PM

Assault pilots want knockdowns back until they get in game and a pair of lights jumps them and just stun locks them until they die. Then you'll see threads about how lights shouldn't ever be able to knock down assault mechs.

Personally, I enjoyed knockdown when it was in the game, but it was a bad feature that caused all sorts of problems. Bringing it back at this point would not be a good idea.

#50 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 12:40 PM

It'd be cancer for slow assaults as well. You'd just get knocked down and be even less able to do anything about a pathing or positioning error.

Sounds fun.

#51 Captain Stiffy

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 12:41 PM

View PostTeenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, on 18 February 2020 - 05:50 AM, said:

sure, for somebody unfamiliar with the battletech-universe a "healer" makes sense.

for somebody unfamiliar with fishing a trout fighting back with lasereyes makes a "fishing simulator*" more exciting, too.
it just doesn't belong or fit in-universe, and thus it should never be in any battletech-related game;
simple repairs take days in btech, weeks to months on complicated stuff; you can't just apply 'instant heal, just add water'.

having those repair-in-10second-pods in previous mechwarrior-titles was a grave mistake, and I'm glad they're not in mwo;
though it turns out in mw5 there is one / a few? so, there's that..

fire away, lasereyed trouts!
Posted Image

*yes, these things exist, I kid you not.

tehy could send you down a new mech that is the same as your other one but its fresh and you just go inside like a bridge

#52 Captain Stiffy

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 12:44 PM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 18 February 2020 - 02:15 AM, said:

Play FW. You don't need healing there. You get to bring 4 different mechs.

nobody every plays. the thing flashes but it never has people in the queue. i stopped wasting minutes of my life. literal life wasting simulator.

#53 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 01:02 PM

View PostBrauer, on 19 February 2020 - 11:36 AM, said:

Lights depend on mobility to live more than any other class. Adding stunlock creates additional situations where they lose that mobility. That's a nerf.
And again that brings me to my compromise: Ok then, just bring back meaningful collision damage then.

Also, relative strength is one of the most important things to consider and how you can see, or argue, that a buff primarily to one class is not a nerf to other classes is hard to fathom.
It depends: When arguing for a pitch/yaw range and speed change for assaults it's because nothing would change in the other classes. The other classes don't lose any maneuverability, speed, fire power, armor... nothing.

The only thing that would change is that one class that was overly affected from one system wide nerf would return to a little bit of normality, not even close to back to 100% of what was prior.

When we're talking what would be a NEW FEATURE, like knock downs, that could be utilized by all classes, affecting all classes, it's not a "nerf" it's just exactly as what I'd stated at the beginning of this sentence, a NEW FEATURE.

The problem is everyone's argument against it has been: "We didn't like it before, and we won't even bother discussing on how to make it work well because we don't want our light 'mechs to work harder..." You just tearfully cry "stun lock" and that's it. Very few (if any) say things like, "If they could implement it without the 'stun lock' effect I'd be for it..."

You're apparently just 100% against anything that you feel would make a light's life difficult.

Re: my assumptions, I've watched you get tormented by lights. Based on what I've seen I don't see how melee will help you against them. I've seen you get jammed up by a stealth flea with low dps and how you couldn't even seem to locate it or turn accordingly even though it was clear where it was. How's melee going to help unless it's a 360° aoe effect? Rather than arguing that the game should be made easier for you why don't you learn to deal with lights? It's often not that hard considering how squishy they are.
Opinions vary, and are wrong.

Yep, sometimes I miss the visible light. Sometimes I potato, totally admit that. A lot of times, however, I'm fighting:

Lack of reasonable pitch/yaw speed and range.
Colorblindness -- (Seriously, Russ really believes that changing the shape of thing affects how we can see the color?)
How the weapons work (gauss charge) -- Everyone has to deal with, it makes it inconvenient to kill a light when you're relying on the little f'er being hittable within the charged window. The farther out they are, the easier it is, the closer in however, it gets tricky especially if they're right on top of you because then you're attempting to get them in front of the actual gun, NOT the targeting reticule, and again, limited pitch/yaw speed and range of torso can complicate that tremendously.

Edited by Dimento Graven, 19 February 2020 - 01:05 PM.

#54 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 01:36 PM

View PostDimento Graven, on 19 February 2020 - 01:02 PM, said:

You're apparently just 100% against anything that you feel would make a light's life difficult.

YES. Lights are the hardest to play, weakest class. If you cared at all about balance and weren't just trying to make gameplay easier for yourself while playing assaults you would also be against anything that makes lights even weaker.

#55 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 01:38 PM

Lights are actually the most nerfed class in the game.

Dimented gravy wouldn't get dove on so much if he didn't zimbabwe so often.

#56 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 01:56 PM

View PostHazeclaw, on 19 February 2020 - 01:36 PM, said:

YES. Lights are the hardest to play, weakest class. If you cared at all about balance and weren't just trying to make gameplay easier for yourself while playing assaults you would also be against anything that makes lights even weaker.
Lights SHOULD be the weakest class, they're LIGHT 'mechs for god's sake.

ONLY IN MWO has the light enjoyed being "on par" with other 'mechs. In no other version of the game that I can think of would a light pilot even want to be SEEN by a larger 'mech, let alone run headlong right into one.

It makes ZERO sense that lights get to jam themselves into the rear of a heavier 'mech with impunity, get to smash into legs with near negligible damage, get to enjoy physics breaking maneuverability, so on and so forth. None of that ever existed pre MWO.

And apparently that's the dynamic you're defending tooth and nail to defend.

A 'mech that accidentally gets out of position MUST absolutely pay for it, but a LIGHT that 'accidentally' jams itself into another 'mech isn't supposed to worry about anything, apparently.

Assaults SHOULD be "assaults" and lights SHOULD be "lights", period.

View PostPrototelis, on 19 February 2020 - 01:38 PM, said:

Lights are actually the most nerfed class in the game.

Dimented gravy wouldn't get dove on so much if he didn't zimbabwe so often.
By the way some of you keep mentioning these stats about light 'mechs being least scoring, least survivable, so on and so forth.

Where are these stats at?

I've googled it various ways, but apparently am not coming up with the right words/phrase that brings it up in the first half dozen pages.

I'm curious about these stats and wish to review them, especially if they are detailed enough to be chassis specific.

#57 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 02:18 PM

Right now almost nobody wants to play lights, would you rather have nobody at all playing them?

All previous mw titles were primarily single player games where balance wasnt as important, and the balance was terrible. Do you want to see nothing but dire whales and poptart executioners like mw4?

No it doesn't make sense that light mechs are competitive vs assaults. But this is a game with 4 mech classes. If you make assaults godlike compared to lights, you will never see anyone play lights. Again even now assaults are much stronger than lights, why do you want to make lights even worse?

#58 John Bronco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 966 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 02:24 PM

Man I thought this was a stupid thread based on the title, now I get in here and it's somehow turned into a discussion on how to buff the most overpowered class in the game.

Even stupider.

#59 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 02:36 PM

View PostDimento Graven, on 19 February 2020 - 01:56 PM, said:

ONLY IN MWO has the light enjoyed being "on par" with other 'mechs. In no other version of the game that I can think of would a light pilot even want to be SEEN by a larger 'mech, let alone run headlong right into one.

In previous games in the series lights and mediums saw little to no play, that isn't balance.

It makes ZERO sense that lights get to jam themselves into the rear of a heavier 'mech with impunity, get to smash into legs with near negligible damage

Again, this isn't really true. It only has a large effect on you because you get caught out often. Leg humping pretty much stops you, stopping is pretty much a death sentence if anything is nearby.

, get to enjoy physics breaking maneuverability, so on and so forth. None of that ever existed pre MWO.

Assault mechs are made of foam and should float on water. If the game made any physical sense a stiff wind might blow one over.

Asymmetrical balance hinges on the differing strengths between individual elements.

In this case though, light mechs are still the least played, lowest scoring, worst performing class in the game.

A 'mech that accidentally gets out of position MUST absolutely pay for it,

Cool stop doing it and you'll stop being a living meme.

but a LIGHT that 'accidentally' jams itself into another 'mech isn't supposed to worry about anything, apparently.

Assault mechs on average have the highest sustained DPS and most armor in the game, where as light mechs on average have the lowest armor and lowest dps in the game.

GG. You already have what you want.

By the way some of you keep mentioning these stats about light 'mechs being least scoring, least survivable, so on and so forth.

Freely available via the stats API.
There is a forum post somewhere with a breakdown.

#60 Brauer

• 1,066 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 03:51 PM

View PostDimento Graven, on 19 February 2020 - 01:02 PM, said:

And again that brings me to my compromise: Ok then, just bring back meaningful collision damage then.

It depends: When arguing for a pitch/yaw range and speed change for assaults it's because nothing would change in the other classes. The other classes don't lose any maneuverability, speed, fire power, armor... nothing.

The only thing that would change is that one class that was overly affected from one system wide nerf would return to a little bit of normality, not even close to back to 100% of what was prior.

When we're talking what would be a NEW FEATURE, like knock downs, that could be utilized by all classes, affecting all classes, it's not a "nerf" it's just exactly as what I'd stated at the beginning of this sentence, a NEW FEATURE.

The problem is everyone's argument against it has been: "We didn't like it before, and we won't even bother discussing on how to make it work well because we don't want our light 'mechs to work harder..." You just tearfully cry "stun lock" and that's it. Very few (if any) say things like, "If they could implement it without the 'stun lock' effect I'd be for it..."

Opinions vary, and are wrong.

Yep, sometimes I miss the visible light. Sometimes I potato, totally admit that. A lot of times, however, I'm fighting:

Lack of reasonable pitch/yaw speed and range.
Colorblindness -- (Seriously, Russ really believes that changing the shape of thing affects how we can see the color?)
How the weapons work (gauss charge) -- Everyone has to deal with, it makes it inconvenient to kill a light when you're relying on the little f'er being hittable within the charged window. The farther out they are, the easier it is, the closer in however, it gets tricky especially if they're right on top of you because then you're attempting to get them in front of the actual gun, NOT the targeting reticule, and again, limited pitch/yaw speed and range of torso can complicate that tremendously.

View PostDimento Graven, on 19 February 2020 - 01:56 PM, said:

It makes ZERO sense that lights get to jam themselves into the rear of a heavier 'mech with impunity, get to smash into legs with near negligible damage, get to enjoy physics breaking maneuverability, so on and so forth. None of that ever existed pre MWO.

A 'mech that accidentally gets out of position MUST absolutely pay for it, but a LIGHT that 'accidentally' jams itself into another 'mech isn't supposed to worry about anything, apparently.

I've googled it various ways, but apparently am not coming up with the right words/phrase that brings it up in the first half dozen pages.

I'm curious about these stats and wish to review them, especially if they are detailed enough to be chassis specific.

Re agility buffs:
Agility buffs are needed for many underperforming mechs, including some assaults, but not ALL assaults and not ONLY assaults. Drop into a Firestarter and tell me that bad agility is only an assault problem. And on the other hand take a look at Annis and the Sleipnir. Both mechs perform exceptionally well and neither really needs an agility buff imo (granted these are on opposite ends of the spectrum with the Sleipnir being an extremely agile assault, and the Anni being among the lowest agility mechs if not the lowest).

Any agility buffs should be made to bring underperforming chassis up to a decent level of performance if possible. They shouldn't just be applied across the board or you'll just see power creep and you will see balance tip further in favor of assaults. Underperformers in other classes can get agility buffs or other buffs to bring them up as well, and the relative strength of the classes overall can be more or less preserved, something you obviously are not interested in.

Re: new features not being nerfs or buffs
Adding a new feature can still be a nerf. Any change can be a nerf or a buff. You're just deciding arbitrarily that if enough of something is changed or introduced it doesn't count against balance. That's just nonsensical. Also, how the heck do you implement knockdowns without stunlock? Do you want the mech to continue on as normal but just have an animation that shows it falling down while it continues on at 140kph? This argument is just nonsense Dimento.

Re: getting ganked by lights:
First off I am not sure how colorblindness factors in here, but I am definitely in favor of things like UIs that are readable for people with various forms of colorblindness. I'm not sure how that came up, but there it is. I don't think that should be controversial, and I actually think it's shameful how PGI has done nothing about this for all this time.

Saying you are fighting the limitations of your mech (whether they are agility stats, gauss mechanics, or whatever else) is just saying you are not playing well. We all deal with these limitations and they are a part of the overall balance equation. I wouldn't say nothing should be changed, but I definitely do not think anything should be changed to make it easier for assaults to kill lights. It's already easy enough. As a light if you run into a streak mech, poke out at the wrong time against basically any medium or larger, or make any one of a million other small errors or encounter just a touch of bad luck you're dead. The same is not generally as true for bigger mechs due to their greater armor and firepower.

Re: lights should be the worst:
If assaults were simply buffed to be the absolute tops nobody would play anything but assaults and matches would be boring turret-warrior affairs. If you want to play a power-fantasy game go play MW5, or a previous MW title, or a singleplayer FPS. This is a competitive game and asymmetrical balance is one of the things that makes it fun and provides a variety of playstyles.

On a separate note, it'd be great if you took some time to think about this more holistically rather than being so focused on your personal desire to be able to mow everything down in your assault mech of choice. The game would be a whole lot worse off if decisions were made simply to buff one class or one mech at the expense of all others, and the state of the game is bad enough as it is. You might also find you have an easier time dealing with lights if you played them and saw things through their eyes. As an example, you might recognize that PPFD is the bane of every light mech as it can shear a component right off. I know you love to chain-fire AC2s, but if I see that and I'm in a light I just know my opponent is likely to miss a lot and is definitely going to spread damage. It doesn't scare me one bit. If I see the same mech firing all at once I'll have to be more cautious about my approach because 10-12 PPFD can hurt quite a bit especially given the fire-rate of AC2s.

You're not helping yourself by blaming the game and being stuck in your ways.

Edited by Brauer, 19 February 2020 - 09:14 PM.

12 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users