Above Average Player On Jarl's List And Who's Played For Years Considering Walking Away From Game Permenantly Because Of Broken Mm And Teams Now Allow

100 replies to this topic

#21 Nearly Dead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 274 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 07:13 AM

View PostAngelwolf, on 18 June 2020 - 05:31 AM, said:

I think this point is kind of negated by the fact that MWO supports VOIP in-game.

Sure, pre-made groups have an advantage in that they're likely friends that they play with a lot - but voice? No different as the ability is in-game anyway. Organisation, teamwork and communications help and I've played a few pug games where this has happened and the outcome has been great.

Most game players in 2020 will have a headset, but not all will choose to use it. That's the difference, I think.

Many newbies will start the game thinking it's something similar to arcadey fps' but the truth is MWO is far more tactical. Communication is key and I think that solo players do have an obligation to really encourage teamwork to newer players as well as older players that have lost their way.

I found that the presence of premade groups reduced the amount of comms in use in the general team chat. Not saying that C&C happened that much in solo queue, in the games I played in Feb and March it might have been 20-25%, but it was happening more than it did after the merge. Lots of premades only talk to each other.

If there are 12 people on a team, and 4 of them only talk to each other, that means the pool of players from which to draw someone willing and able to take charge and coordinate efforts is now 8.

And the premade group may or may not cooperate with them, or they may just do their own thing and ignore the team. Which is mostly what turned me off on the game and why I quit playing a couple of weeks ago. Pre merge, I was playing 10 games, winning some, losing some and maybe one in four or five a leader stepped up and I felt like I was supporting an actual team effort. Now maybe one game in ten I feel like part of a functioning team, the rest of the time the game is silent and decided by a unit on one side or the other; carried during a stomp by a unit or being stomped by one.

Often I would play well, be doing good damage and then a group of 4 light and medium mechs would get around to me and it would be my turn to die and I would see the final score screen and big surprise, 2-12.

I think the merge is creating a game where it is either join a unit and drop with a group, or go away. I also think it is going to kill the game because for every solo player who joins a unit, three or four will drift away from the game.

#22 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 18 June 2020 - 09:22 AM

I don't know, my W/L is more or less the same as my average pre-merge, but my K/D went down. Guess that means I'm carried by other players. :D

#23 GuardDogg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 10:36 AM

DSC been out longer than MWO, and DSC is doing better. PGI can learn from them.

#24 OneTeamPlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 399 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 11:37 AM

I just find it interesting that there are people saying "I'm playing in a group and having fun, why aren't you having fun in your formerly solo queue against groups?"

Here's the deal.

Let's go through the status of gamemodes:

FP: Life Support
Group Queue: Dead then completely removed
Solo Queue: Fine then merged now struggling (steamcharts)
Solaris: Barely functional first week of seasons then dead.

So the best idea was to take the one mode that people were consistently playing and consistently enjoying and fundamentally modify it for a playerbase that amounts to less than 10 to 15% of the people who are continuing to play this game.

Someone said the merge was like chemo, and i agree- except it's like chemo for a patient with congestive heart failure.

It's not helping the original issues, it's making the patient have a worse outcome than literally doing nothing, and it's likely to speed along the patient's demise.

#25 Gladiolix

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 103 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 18 June 2020 - 12:22 PM

View PostSnowhawk, on 18 June 2020 - 04:01 AM, said:

Here's my W/L - Ratio since Januar 2020 (from the Jarl's list / I usually play soloqueue): 1.84, 1.36, 1.40, 1.79, and.... when pgi merged Soloqueue with groupqueue my Ratio fell down to 0.57 (!!!). Often I saw Assaults and premade-teams in the other team while my team had no assaults and was full of casual Players.

GG PGI, to lose is very entertaining….

My W/L ratio has also dropped due to merge, but your 11 matches doesn't really tell anything about the effect of the merge, just too few games to draw any real conclusion.

#26 Blue Pheonix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 229 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 01:05 PM

View PostSunstruck, on 17 June 2020 - 01:30 PM, said:

TTB posted a video on this you should check out

It is confirming seeing someone like TTB and others here seeing similar things. Perhaps I have not fallen that far off my rocker.

If these MM changes are negatively affecting a sizable portion of people (myself included) this is not good for new player draws and loyal player retention numbers in the long run. Higher player numbers are both good for PGI (as income generators) and for all of us players (quicker matches and more talent to pull from for more even matches).

I have some ideas on how MM can be improved.

#27 East Indy

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,207 posts
  • LocationPacifica Training School, waiting for BakPhar shares to rise

Posted 18 June 2020 - 01:39 PM

It was a little shaky at first, but most of the time I don't notice much of an influence from groups. There are the ultra-top players who are almost impossible to balance, and a fair number of Vulcan tryhard quartets, and groups of low-skill players who tank the team. Otherwise, results seem highly dependent on who's logged in, and that seems more a factor of matchmaking unable to distinguish player skill.

For me, the takeaway is that all these years, PGI could've allowed a single 2-man on each team for the bring-a-buddy experience.

#28 Zirconium Kaze

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 92 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 06:22 AM

They could revert the changes to ghost heat so that while a team is focus firing, people with high alpha builds can put one down without suiciding.

#29 ShiverMeRivets

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 520 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 10:43 AM

Bunch of whiners.

B****ing about the MM, but want to keep your W/L. If the MM was working in ideal conditions you’d all have 1 W/L. You want skill matching? Then if you are top 1% be prepared to be matched with the potatoes from the bottom of the barrel to offset your skills. It is harder to carry now against a group so you lose more. 1.8 W/L mean that YOU are the unbalancing factor, and a functioning MM needs to work against you.

#30 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 11:21 AM

View PostThorn Hallis, on 18 June 2020 - 09:22 AM, said:

I don't know, my W/L is more or less the same as my average pre-merge, but my K/D went down. Guess that means I'm carried by other players. Posted Image

You don't show up on Jarls List at all, so I can not verify what you said was fact.

#31 Ignatius Audene

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 11:29 AM

View PostShiverMeRivets, on 19 June 2020 - 10:43 AM, said:

Bunch of whiners.

B****ing about the MM, but want to keep your W/L. If the MM was working in ideal conditions you’d all have 1 W/L. You want skill matching? Then if you are top 1% be prepared to be matched with the potatoes from the bottom of the barrel to offset your skills. It is harder to carry now against a group so you lose more. 1.8 W/L mean that YOU are the unbalancing factor, and a functioning MM needs to work against you.

This is not how it should work. But population...
The mm should separate the tryhards from the noobs. Always putting on the carry pants and watch the team melt is not a good motivator to play more than a couple of qp. MM should never force w/l 1.0

#32 The Teddy Bear

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 87 posts
  • LocationSomewhere cuddling

Posted 19 June 2020 - 12:16 PM

View PostShiverMeRivets, on 19 June 2020 - 10:43 AM, said:

It is harder to carry now against a group so you lose more.

You are correct. But try to tell this valuable lesson, that comes out of your experience, to the statistics ones that seems to be flying all over the place right now.

#33 Capt Deadpool

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 305 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 12:21 PM

View PostNearly Dead, on 18 June 2020 - 07:13 AM, said:

I found that the presence of premade groups reduced the amount of comms in use in the general team chat. Not saying that C&C happened that much in solo queue, in the games I played in Feb and March it might have been 20-25%, but it was happening more than it did after the merge. Lots of premades only talk to each other.

Even when I am grouped, I prefer to communicate via in-game comms because I feel it is more respectful to the rest of the team. I understand why better grouped players tend not to, 1. because they are just having fun interacting with their friends in a private chat without flooding in-game comms with chatter, but also 2. because much of the time suggested strats/calls simply go ignored by the team.

I tend to give teams the benefit of the doubt and assume that at least some of them will listen to some basic calls, and I think it just makes the experience more cohesive and better for everyone on the team and there is less of a perception of "elitists" who don't care to coordinate with their team.

#34 Black Caiman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Thumper
  • The Thumper
  • 101 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 01:50 PM

View PostSnowhawk, on 18 June 2020 - 04:01 AM, said:

Here's my W/L - Ratio since Januar 2020 (from the Jarl's list / I usually play soloqueue): 1.84, 1.36, 1.40, 1.79, and.... when pgi merged Soloqueue with groupqueue my Ratio fell down to 0.57 (!!!). Often I saw Assaults and premade-teams in the other team while my team had no assaults and was full of casual Players.

GG PGI, to lose is very entertaining….

Ok but those stats are super deceiving without context. In the other four seasons you mentioned you played between 24 and 106 games. In the 0.57 season you played 11 games! That's not a good enough sample size to justify writing something off. So you went 4-7 in your first 11 games? That can turn around just as quickly and you could rattle off 6 straight wins, happens all of the time.

#35 cheapcamper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 131 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 02:12 PM

Last time I checked I’m at top 5 % of jarls. I play mostly solo and I noticed a large disparity of tonnage since the patch. If you play as a non meta mech you will get screw over since the try hard groups are there to ruin fun. Also, I had encounter time and time again assault lance premade try hard on the enemyteam, where as we have 3 men mediums casuals who runs off from firing line, became the 3 last to die, only to do mediocre damage and kills.

i am giving this game a break. I felt like in the short term it is beyond salvageable as long as groups and solo combined for us casual puggies.

#36 Blue Pheonix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 229 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 03:33 PM

So I just did a short run of 6 games tonight.

Here are the results in this order (my team's score is first number - enemy team is second number):

1-12
5-11,
3-12
1-12
12-4 (win)
3-12

That is an average difference of 9 mechs between the winning team and losing team or an average score of 3-12. That is not just losing, that is getting dominated.

Disclaimer, the only win I had tonight was in a game where we had a full lance of players who teamed up, while the other side did not have anyone teamed up. It was unfair to them.

I had to stop as my stress levels were rising.

#37 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 08:33 PM

For me a solo's w/l it is influenced to a large degree on when you play and what groups are on.
If you only can play when a supa group is on, you are going to lose mostly if they ain't on your team.
If you play off peak when the supa groups are asleep you win more than above.

My w/l got slam dunked hard at the start of the month like down to 0.33% from the usual >1, before the merge and being <1 at any time during a season was very very rare. All my seasons ended >1

This season I had to pick what times I played very carefully in order to claw my way back to >1 from 0.33%.
If I saw a supergroup I'd keep playing till my first loss, then stop playing till my next play session.

Yes I'm avoiding groups, but its OK.
I'm Solo
Which is acceptable unlike groups avoiding other groups.

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 19 June 2020 - 08:38 PM.

#38 Kroete

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 20 June 2020 - 06:42 AM

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 19 June 2020 - 08:33 PM, said:

Yes I'm avoiding groups, but its OK.
I'm Solo
Which is acceptable unlike groups avoiding other groups.

It was not much fun to get farmed from groups in the beta,
nor was it fun to be farmed by smaller groups in the beta,
or getting farmed by groups in fp,
why should it now be fun to get farmed by groups?

There is no queue left, where i can avoid groups against solo,
so i must avoid this game now.
Pitty, but no problem.

Iam curious how many solo players will do the same over the time,
particulary when they realize that all that matchmaker talk is ********
and all valves will be open with that low playercount and 5 tiers.

But iam sure pgi will sell this as success,
look we have an increase on groupplayers,
now 50% of the players are playing as group!

#39 Anomalocaris

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 671 posts

Posted 20 June 2020 - 08:22 AM

View PostKroete, on 20 June 2020 - 06:42 AM, said:

There is no queue left, where i can avoid groups against solo,
so i must avoid this game now.
Pitty, but no problem.

Iam curious how many solo players will do the same over the time,
particulary when they realize that all that matchmaker talk is ********
and all valves will be open with that low playercount and 5 tiers.

But iam sure pgi will sell this as success,
look we have an increase on groupplayers,
now 50% of the players are playing as group!

https://steamcharts.com/app/342200

And it will only get worse as the big holiday weekend last month drops off the last 30 day numbers. I expect to be down 8-10% by the end of June.

Edited by Anomalocaris, 20 June 2020 - 08:23 AM.

#40 Vorpal Puppy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 250 posts

Posted 20 June 2020 - 09:48 AM

Blue, I understand where you're coming from. I experienced similar feelings right after the group queue thing happened. However, I have now played enough games first with this account, then with my alt account Big MO (which is also XP bar Tier 1), that I am adapting to the new normal.

I am a solo pug playing NA prime time, usually a half dozen or so games a night. After the first week, my W/R was terrible ('Vorpal Puppy' is normally right around 1.0). It's still low, but I realized it was because builds and mechs that used to be fine before just didn't work now, but other things did.

I started dropping in my 'Big MO' account and made a few changes to my play style. For the current month, in 37 games my 'Big MO' account had a W/L of 1.47, a KDR of 2.33, and an AMS of 331 at the end of the previous event - way better than I have ever done before. It won't stay that high, but I am learning. My general advice would be:

1. Build your mechs to engage/trade at 500 - 600 meters instead of standard brawling distance (300 m) that most pug matches previously engaged at.
2. Avoid long burn lasers - just way too much face time. Did some last night for the new event, but generally regretted it. Same is true with RACs - good players will core you out fast when you run those.
3. Dakka - Dakka - and more Dakka. Been running the Rifleman IIC-2 to great effect.

Good luck!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users