Psr Community Version 1.0

379 replies to this topic

#61 Nearly Dead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 274 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 11:48 AM

All I want is to avoid the present insanity where you have a mix of T1 thru T5, and then throw in a 4 man premade dropping on one side or the other with no regard for skill level, mech class, or lance makeup.

If they can improve MM a little bit, maybe we can grow the population enough to have 4 man groups dropping against 4 man groups in a reasonable time while still having some matches that are all solo or a mix or solo and groups of 2.

#62 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 11:51 AM

View PostNearly Dead, on 24 June 2020 - 11:48 AM, said:

All I want is to avoid the present insanity where you have a mix of T1 thru T5, and then throw in a 4 man premade dropping on one side or the other with no regard for skill level, mech class, or lance makeup.

If they can improve MM a little bit, maybe we can grow the population enough to have 4 man groups dropping against 4 man groups in a reasonable time while still having some matches that are all solo or a mix or solo and groups of 2.

Well, what we get for 2 months is EVERYONE in Tier 3, the MM has no clue who is skilled and not, and 4-man groups dropping randomly with no balancing attempt by the MM. Gonna be so fun, I reinstalled MWO.

#63 Zanotam

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 11:58 AM

View PostNightbird, on 24 June 2020 - 11:51 AM, said:

Well, what we get for 2 months is EVERYONE in Tier 3, the MM has no clue who is skilled and not, and 4-man groups dropping randomly with no balancing attempt by the MM. Gonna be so fun, I reinstalled MWO.

Honestly it DOES sound fun. I'm legit excited to see how I matchup against truly random mixes of people, but I bet by the end of the first month the truly worst and best players will already have started to filter to different ranks and in general by 3 or 4 months in we'll be able to expect that t1 never plays with anything below t3 and t5 never plays with anything above t3 due to the different player distribution allowing the average person to just have all over the place matches which IMO can be quite fun as long as you don't get too many stomps one way or another in a row and was the way some of us remember the game being without any issues back in the days pre-matchmaking system.

EDIT: Like I'm pretty bad now and can barely play simpler heavy mechs and some mediums, but I remember back when everyone was mixed together in 8v8 I got quite good with my Jenner and it showed in a positive way as I actually started winning more matches than when I was more an average player at the start (although an average player at the start was still all founders for me so maybe that meant the skill level was actually higher than it was on launch would be my guess) and it felt awesome. I think going up in tier will be a decent reward as well, but the important thing is to reward people who are genuinely above average with t2, limit the hardcores to t1, have the people who need to improve end up in t4, and have the actual baddies in t5 I think with the rest of us in t3 (well I hope I can do well enough to stay t3, who knows I might be bad enough now with my like 10fps because my graphics card and MWO don't get along that I end up in t4.... pretty sure I'm not t5 level bad though after my first month back although May was pretty bad admittedly for me.....)

Edited by Zanotam, 24 June 2020 - 12:02 PM.

#64 Nearly Dead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 274 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 12:05 PM

I'm up for it. It was the feeling that the game was so broken that it would never get any better that was getting me down.

I played a couple of matches the other day and they were better than a couple of weeks ago when I had last played. At least people were talking while getting stomped, or stomping in one case.

#65 Nesutizale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 12:52 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 23 June 2020 - 05:12 PM, said:

[color=orange]UPDATE: ETA is Tuesday June 30th.[/color]

Nice...time to jump back into the cockpit.

#66 Tamerlin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 366 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 02:24 PM

So will new players start at PSR 2500 (Tier 3)? That doesn't seem to fill the "protect new players from Tier 1" directive.

#67 Capt Deadpool

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 305 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 03:00 PM

Would it be that difficult to do some basic seeding of the tiers so newer players aren't getting hulk-smashed twenty games in a row?

#68 crazytimes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 03:50 PM

View PostCapt Deadpool, on 24 June 2020 - 03:00 PM, said:

Would it be that difficult to do some basic seeding of the tiers so newer players aren't getting hulk-smashed twenty games in a row?

Based on what metric? There are plenty of people currently tier 1 that will end up tier 4 in the new system.

Let it sort itself out. I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of new accounts are smurfs anyhow.

#69 Kamikaze Viking

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationStay on Topic... STAY ON TOPIC!!!

Posted 24 June 2020 - 05:25 PM

View PostTamerlin, on 24 June 2020 - 02:24 PM, said:

So will new players start at PSR 2500 (Tier 3)? That doesn't seem to fill the "protect new players from Tier 1" directive.

Not sure if this is the case.
Paul's OP stated that the PSR reset to 2500 (which i think is good for existing players)
and that the PSR booster will be removed for reset/new players

But didn't explicitly state the starting PSR for new players. I would hope it stays where it is currently or even lower (eg 800 assuming that 0-1000 is the t5 range).

Edited by Kamikaze Viking, 24 June 2020 - 05:27 PM.

#70 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts
  • LocationA hypervelocity planet

Posted 24 June 2020 - 06:12 PM

My guess there will be chaos matches at first, mixed skills and all that, groups will probably move up the fastest, saying they're not up against a better group, but odds are in the group players favor.

not sure how long it would take for things to balance out for equally skill players to be matched in a more consistent match up . .. groups will be pretty much break that match making . . not sure how their PSR will be divided in , for the MM.

sort out your friends list nowPosted Image

#71 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,659 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 24 June 2020 - 06:31 PM

View PostSjorpha, on 23 June 2020 - 11:31 PM, said:

Well, kudos for the community interaction and best of luck.

I have to say the current distribution of players surprises me, I thought a much higher percentage of the player base was tier 1 because of the current upwards bias of the psr calculation. I'm also surprised to see so many players in tier 5, is that because there are a lot of new accounts?

I am not surprised, since PGI is took the information from their database for the last two months and likely includes all accounts that dropped even once time into combat, presumably Solo/Group/combined queue. Whereas we and Jarls can only pull inform where a player has had a min of 10 drops in a month/season, so I would say that Tier 5 is over inflated with tried it a few times and hasnt come back.

View PostTamerlin, on 24 June 2020 - 02:24 PM, said:

True, I would want PGI to not touch Tier 5 folks, leave them there then those who are able to climb out of it will, as well as the new players/Cadets.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 25 June 2020 - 07:07 PM.

#72 CFC Conky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,761 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 24 June 2020 - 06:54 PM

If I understand correctly, under the new system it will be easier to drop in tier and harder to rise so it shouldn't be a huge problem to put everyone in T3.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

Edited by CFC Conky, 24 June 2020 - 06:55 PM.

#73 rascje

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 431 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 10:41 PM

First of all, thx to all those who have contributed to this, with real proposals or false complaints Posted Image.
Then,
CAN'T WAIT JUNE 30th!!!

Edited by rascje, 24 June 2020 - 10:51 PM.

#74 RCore

• PipPipPip
  • The Deputy
  • The Deputy
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 11:54 PM

Finally we have a date! Looking forward to it. Sounds like there might be a bit of chaos at the start, but that sounds fun too.

In this case, change is better than no change.

#75 Bowelhacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 922 posts
  • LocationKooken's Pleasure Pit

Posted 25 June 2020 - 01:12 AM

****, does this mean I'm going to have to take quickplay a little more seriously for a while?

#76 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 02:30 AM

Nope. Even if you play more seriouse for a while and rise up as soon as you stop playing seriouse you will move down again till you reach your "normal" level.

#77 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts
  • LocationA hypervelocity planet

Posted 25 June 2020 - 02:40 AM

View PostCFC Conky, on 24 June 2020 - 06:54 PM, said:

If I understand correctly, under the new system it will be easier to drop in tier and harder to rise so it shouldn't be a huge problem to put everyone in T3.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

I'm sure the separation between best and worse will be quick, so yeah shouldn't be a problem

View PostBowelhacker, on 25 June 2020 - 01:12 AM, said:

****, does this mean I'm going to have to take quickplay a little more seriously for a while?

wait, was we suppose to play seriously in Quickplay Posted Image

yeah, I guess no more fun builds at first

I'm still; going to play to have fun, unless I'm in a group

#78 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 03:03 AM

Isn't it even counterproductive to play seriouse now and switch to meta builds when you plan on playing something else after a while?

I mean when you rise in tier because of going with the meta and better play you will get beaten and fall in tier again as soon as you do fun builds while you could have played builds you like from the beginning and just go where you should be directly.

Also in the beginning we will all be wildly mixed with all skill levels and kinds of builds so until a more clear seperation has taken place its getting stomped or not anyway because the system dosn't has a way to balance teams anyway.

#79 Belorion

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 25 June 2020 - 05:00 AM

View PostNightbird, on 24 June 2020 - 11:08 AM, said:

Read the thread and you'll see it's 100% based on seasonal data from actual matches.

Are you looking at aggregate data or data of individual matches your thread doesn't make that clear.

#80 RRAMIREZ

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 183 posts
  • LocationIn the Blob

Posted 25 June 2020 - 05:03 AM

I don't remember if this has been clearly stated or not:
Except for the valve, does the MM use only Tier or real PSR to make teams?

Edited by RRAMIREZ, 25 June 2020 - 05:04 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users