Psr Community Version 1.0

379 replies to this topic

#141 Spare Knight

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationAlso StankDog the damp

Posted 28 June 2020 - 02:21 PM

View PostNesutizale, on 26 June 2020 - 01:43 PM, said:

Well the final screen just shows if you move up or down in Tier not your exact Tier IIRC. The Tier you are in is just on one of the view blocking orange panels in the main screen and thats what I am talking about. Leave that out.

Also its not about pissing people of by rubbing them your Tier number in the face. The current scorescreen allready shows who did well by showing importend numbers like damage and matchscore of the team. That alone should give you enough of a hint who is the better player...or the more lucky one.

That people get the new Tier system wrong can be seen with comments like "I played so many games to reach Tier 1 now I have to play the same amount again and I refuse and will quite the game", missing the point that the new system isn't about reaching T1 by just playing long enough but that you actualy need to be good enough.

You could avoid that by simply removeing the Tier tab and players who know the game will find out that there are more importend stats anyway and they are presented at the end of the game anyway. I think its no big loss there.

I have been playing less than a year. If the new Tier Levels are going to be accurate (not an XP bar), I want to see it. I want to know if I am improving. I want more data, and not less. I am a grown man. My feelings are not going to be hurt by having Tier 3 on my Mech Bay screen.

#142 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 12:17 AM

View PostNesutizale, on 28 June 2020 - 02:00 AM, said:

The further discussion is kinda pointless at the moment.

Thats how I see it as well.

#143 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 01:37 AM

View PostSpare Knight, on 28 June 2020 - 02:21 PM, said:

I have been playing less than a year. If the new Tier Levels are going to be accurate (not an XP bar), I want to see it. I want to know if I am improving. I want more data, and not less. I am a grown man. My feelings are not going to be hurt by having Tier 3 on my Mech Bay screen.

Again...its not about "peoples feelings", couldn't care less about that. Its about people getting Tier completly wrong and what it means in the new system.

Also for the information part. Yes please more informations on player stats in the game. I am all for it. Have a dedicated menu with all the stats you only get on the website in the game.

Would also be very happy if the "final score" screen wouldn't be bound to a timer so that I have to take screenshots to take it all in and think about it. Best would be to have a collection of this be saved lockly on my client side so I can later pull all the data up to study them.

So yes more meaningfull informations for players. Tier on its own isn't meaningfull and is even worse missleading some people. Not eveyone is following the forums or anouncements to know what it means but when you see "damage done" thats an information everyone can understand or when they see "damage done" to "matchscore" and then can see "LRMing is high damage with little score but direct damage maybe less but higher scores" well thats a usefull information.
You are Tier 3....yah and that says what? How does that help me with my gameplay?

#144 David Sumner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 470 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 29 June 2020 - 01:52 AM

View PostZanotam, on 24 June 2020 - 11:58 AM, said:

... be quite fun as long as you don't get too many stomps one way or another in a row and was the way some of us remember the game being ...

Or like me you can remember 23 losses in a row with half of them being stomps.

There were times when things were very, very swingy.

#145 David Sumner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 470 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 02:05 AM

View PostNightbird, on 26 June 2020 - 08:46 AM, said:

You missed the point, the PSR value proposed has no beneficial match making purpose. It's only value is in showing the casuals where their place in the hierarchy is. Hiding it defeats the very purpose of its existence.

Nice.
Reminds me which list to put you on.

#146 David Sumner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 470 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 02:09 AM

View PostOneTeamPlayer, on 27 June 2020 - 06:32 AM, said:

I dunno, I'm not going to name any names but there are unit names i cringe when i see stacked in our alpha lance because their presence is more likely to lead to a loss than not (especially since those which aren't stellar performers and don't communicate with the team) that are represented in Jarl's.

I think you might underestimate the number of very casual units.

Though I also wonder if "vanity units" with one person are factored out of the equations.

That'd be me.
With my one man unit named after my TT merc company.
And I should be border T2/T3 at best.

#147 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 06:21 AM

View PostDavid Sumner, on 29 June 2020 - 02:05 AM, said:

Nice.
Reminds me which list to put you on.

The list of people that are against the proposed PSR?

#148 Nearly Dead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 274 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 09:53 AM

PGI, at the very least improve the in game chat to the point that units could use it in game and between games. Then the rest of the team would at least have a better chance of knowing what is going on and playing as a team in matches that drop with a 4 man premade. Buy a license or something, it would be worth it.

I realize that doesn't do anything about the players who think talking to solo QPers is like talking to a stack of used tires behind Walmart, but at least it would remove one obstacle and might improve the QP experience a little.

#149 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 11:05 AM

I don't quite understand. When you drop together you can allways use the chat...or did I miss something?

#150 Cluster Fox

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationStuck on a rock in Grim Plexus

Posted 29 June 2020 - 11:07 AM

I did some work on Jay Z's model. Since this is the only thing considered so far.

I still strongly support WLR based MM. However, I think we should try to make the best out of what is happening within the PSR limitations imposed.

==TL;DR;==

Using standard deviation. Best parameters for Jay Z's model are:

X = 0,7691 Y
Y = Any value. Depending on how aggressive PGI wants the PSR shift to happen.
C = 1

My suggestion, keeping the initial shift aggressiveness of Jay Z's model :

X = 11.53
Y = 15
C = 1

==Background==
The parameters X=5, Y=20 and C = 0.6 are arbitrary. I have not seen analysis behind those parameters to back them off.

==Baseline data analysis==

From season46&47 data:
Standard deviation for MatchScore is +/-57 MS
Standard deviation for WLR is +/-0.34 WLR (non linear)

Those two are linked as you may see on the data graph, so the linear skill progression line is one where the average WLR and the average Match score intercept.

Posted Image

The slope for this skill line is Y(avgMS) = 214.36 * X(WLR)

Knowing the distribution, Standard deviation PSR change for avgMS should be equal to standard deviation change for avgWLR.

This also means that a player on the top left corner of the greenish box (standard deviation box) is approximately the same Real Skill level than a player at the bottom right.
So, for example: Real Skill for 275avgMS & 0.68WLR ~= Real Skill for 161avgMS & 1.34WLR

Again, this is backed up by the standard deviation.

==Solving C, X and Y==
Spoiler

==Results==

The relation between Jay Z's model parameters to match historical data is:

X = 0,7691 Y

This ratio will result in player skill being represented along the line leading to 218 avgMS and 1.0165WLR. Other ratios between X and Y will either favour avgMS or WLR too much.

==Caveats==
Spoiler

==Conclusion and suggestion==

My suggested values - Keeping the initial aggressiveness. Using the Standard deviation from season 46 and 47 we get:

X = 11.53 (= 0,7691 Y )
Y = 15
C = 1

Now, if we set everything to 218(avgMS) in Jay Z's spreadsheet, and put one player at 275 and one at 161 for each team, we see the shift for WLR and the relative shift for avgMS. (Col 2C)

Posted Image

Edited by Cluster Fox, 29 June 2020 - 10:13 PM.

#151 Nearly Dead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 274 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 01:59 PM

View PostNesutizale, on 29 June 2020 - 11:05 AM, said:

I don't quite understand. When you drop together you can allways use the chat...or did I miss something?

Sure you can. But in the first weeks after the merge many groups were dropping and even if directly asked, "Hey, you experienced guys from team XYZ, what do you want to do to win this?" they would frequently not answer as they were using another chat channel like discord, teamspeak etc that allowed them to hang out between matches and continue chatting. When I quit playing a couple of weeks ago I would estimate that the matches with team coordination taking place in the in game chat was down by 1/3-1/2 in the matches I played. And I was playing a lot back then, hours and hours a day. (Yeah, newly retired.)

It may be better now, I took my Arctic Wolf for a spin this afternoon and played maybe 6-8 matches and there was someone calling the shots in about half of them, a huge improvement, (but in a very small sample).

#152 Cluster Fox

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationStuck on a rock in Grim Plexus

Posted 29 June 2020 - 04:19 PM

Alright, second part of the issue here. How to stabilize the PSR instead of having it go wild forever.

I used Jay Z's model for the base PSR shift, then tuned with my own values as seen in my last post.

==Known==

Jay Z's PSR shift system, using X = 11.53, Y = 15, C = 1

==Hypothesis==

Matchmaker knows a player's PSR when it's making a match, therefore it still has access to it at the end of the match.
- This cannot be verified unless access to the code is granted by PGI.

==Formula==

Once the match outcome is determined, we use Jay Z's model to calculate the PSRshift.

Then we transform it based on the PSR before the match.

PSRout = 2500 + (1 - P) * (PSRin - 2500) + (P * A * PSRshift)

or, in terms of a PSR change only. (I did not simplify, lazy)

NetPSRshift = 2500 + (1 - P) * (PSRin - 2500) + (P * A * PSRshift) - PSRin

Inputs
  • PSRin is the PSR prior to the match
  • PSRshift is the PSR shift calculated after the match (Jay Z)
  • P is a response time, between 1 and 0. Small is smoother but takes more matches to represent skill.
  • A is an amplifier. Equivalent to changing X and Y on Jay Z's system. This changes how spread out the distribution of players will be along the Y axis.
Outputs
  • PSRout is the new PSR after the match
  • NetPSRshift is the change after transforming. PSRout = PSRin + NetPSRshift
==Model==

Spoiler

==Results==

Using Jay Z's system with the parameters mentioned, the amplifier A was set so that players over +/-2 standard deviations off the average hit the boundaries of 0 and 5000.

In both cases, A = 150

Posted Image

==Conclusion==

My formula can stabilize PSR to represent a skill level without having to fetch player information.

By taking known PSR before the match into account, we don't need artificial boundaries.

The formula can be adjusted for PSR to react quicker or slower by varying P.

The PSR distribution can be tightened around 2500 or spread out by varying A.

Edited by Cluster Fox, 30 June 2020 - 06:37 AM.

#153 MrMadguy

• 2,198 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 04:17 AM

Today is June 30. At least in my TZ. Where is our patch?

#154 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,571 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 04:24 AM

It usually drops 18:00 UTC. Even Piranhas need to sleep.

#155 OneTeamPlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 399 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 05:51 AM

View PostMrMadguy, on 30 June 2020 - 04:17 AM, said:

There's no patch warning/server downtime banner...

Those are usually posted days in advance of any planned server maintenance like a patch.

Wait and see is the order of the day, we may or may not be patching at all.

#156 RRAMIREZ

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 183 posts
  • LocationIn the Blob

Posted 30 June 2020 - 06:29 AM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 23 June 2020 - 05:12 PM, said:

This change will require a full patch to the client and servers. I do not have a direct ETA but it will be in the VERY near future. I will update this post as soon as I get the estimate tomorrow (Jun 24). This new system is currently being tested by QA and is working as intended. It's not a big patch, just needs to be timed correctly.

[color=orange]UPDATE: ETA is Tuesday June 30th.[/color]

I don't remember if ETA was turned into "Confirmed date" for other patches...
It would be a bit of deception if it's postponned, I have to admit. But not the end of the world at that point

#157 ERescue

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 203 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 06:37 AM

@All: It is possible that they have hit some fairly last minute problem. But either way, it would be extremely great, if they posted some sort of information, even if it is: "Sorry, problems, hang in there...".

#158 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,652 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 30 June 2020 - 06:45 AM

View PostMrMadguy, on 30 June 2020 - 04:17 AM, said:

https://mwomercs.com/clock

As of the time of this post, it is PGI Time (PDT) Tuesday, June 30 2020 - 07:45:xx AM. Caffeine anyone?

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 30 June 2020 - 06:46 AM.

#159 RRAMIREZ

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 183 posts
  • LocationIn the Blob

Posted 30 June 2020 - 06:57 AM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 30 June 2020 - 06:45 AM, said:

hoho didn't know of that link… Cool for a lazy me ^^
thx

#160 Nearly Dead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 274 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 07:15 AM

Reset warning is scrolling for 1:00pm EST today.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users