Breakfast Of Champions Event And Sale

168 replies to this topic

#101 GARION26

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 301 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 12:27 PM

View Postw0qj, on 13 August 2020 - 08:08 AM, said:

How about letting the Trial (Champion) mechs [and all Trial mechs for that matter] come pre-equipped with a pre-determined 91-skill point tree fully allocated? Some in Survival, Mobility, FirePower, Sensor, etc.

This would greatly help sell these mechs to potential buyers of the same.
After all, Trial mechs are to encourage sales, right?

(MWO need to make sure future trial mech buyers that it's a fully skilled-out 91-point skill tree).

I'm a relatively new player - 5 months so far.
I don't think skilled trial mechs is helpful - because eventually you buy your first mech and you still have new player frustration (just delayed a bit) as it's not as good as the trial mechs as it's unskilled. Then you are going to realize the incredible C Bill cost to get a mech to 91 skill points like the trial mech you were used to as well as double heat sinks, a new engine etc. It just delays new player frustration with the lack of skills and makes them even more aware of what they are missing (as opposed to gradually skilling up your first mech as your own player skill gets better - you start playing better with each game for BOTH reasons.)

I'm not good but I'm a lot better then when I started skilled mechs or trial vs stock mechs or not I would have been easy pickings as the learning curve is very steep in MWO. Heat, locations, aiming, weapons ranges, reading the minimap in the middle of the action, understanding yours and opposing weapon charging times, reading how well you will trade vs a specific opponent, knowing the maps and good/bad spots. All those things have to be mastered by a new player - you die a lot in that process.

Skilled mechs or better designed mechs don't help that much in the context of that very steep learning curve.

What helps most is playing against other Cadet's. Put them in Tier 5 (or maybe 4) to start and see how the system works from there. Find ways to draw more cadet's into the games.

A lot of my cadet matches in mid March 2020 had a lot of other cadet's in the drops that helped quite a bit for me to have space to learn.

I'd love to see a cadet mini game mode (4 vs 4 for example) or a better AI system for the Academy.

It's an event - I usually don't make it a point to complete every challenge of every event. If you don't like trial mechs skip it. Are the rewards worth the pain if not don't worry about it.

Edited by GARION26, 13 August 2020 - 12:29 PM.

#102 Warning incoming Humble Dexterer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 02:54 PM

I think my comment on the missing event got completely ignored :P

#103 OneTeamPlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 399 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 03:18 PM

View PostC337Skymaster, on 13 August 2020 - 09:05 AM, said:

Well, I, for one, started 5 years ago under the 3 'mech system where it was prohibitively expensive for most people to have most of the upgrades we get for cheap, today, and where you had to be MUCH more choosy about what upgrades your 'mech got, because you were limited to a very small handful. So the gap between zero and mastered has expanded rather widely since Skill Tree.

The reason the skill tree system was implemented was in part because the developers openly complained about people buying 1 set of modules for all their mechs instead of rebuying the same module over and over again.

Modules were much cheaper as that single few million investment per would be transferred between all available mechs, instead of 2M into a single mech which can then only be used on that mech.

The entire purpose of the skill tree was to make skills more expensive and to replace players being intelligently frugal with the perfectly functional module system.

They needed another cbill sink, and boy did they create a doozy of one.

#104 Ratsnacker

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 04:02 PM

I've quite enjoyed the event so far. Haven't really struggled to get either part done. Some folks need to relax and enjoy the game, maybe bring a friend along?

#105 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 13 August 2020 - 06:20 PM

View PostOneTeamPlayer, on 13 August 2020 - 03:18 PM, said:

The reason the skill tree system was implemented was in part because the developers openly complained about people buying 1 set of modules for all their mechs instead of rebuying the same module over and over again.

Modules were much cheaper as that single few million investment per would be transferred between all available mechs, instead of 2M into a single mech which can then only be used on that mech.

The entire purpose of the skill tree was to make skills more expensive and to replace players being intelligently frugal with the perfectly functional module system.

They needed another cbill sink, and boy did they create a doozy of one.

The irony of all this is that under the old module system, as you got more CBills, but already had all of the Mechs, Omnipods, Engines, Upgrades, etc ("Late-Game"), you could always buy more modules to not have to hunt and swap as much, and could just grab any mech for Faction, and know it was ready to go. I calculated something like 1.8 Billion CB back when I had 200 mechs. I have 360, now. But because they changed it so that everything is tied to the specific mech, I had 750 million CB that I had nowhere to spend. I finally accepted a unit invite and donated 400 Million CB just to be rid of it. If I could donate my CB to individuals, I would in a heartbeat.

#106 crazytimes

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 09:49 PM

View PostRatsnacker, on 13 August 2020 - 04:02 PM, said:

I've quite enjoyed the event so far. Haven't really struggled to get either part done. Some folks need to relax and enjoy the game, maybe bring a friend along?

Most of the people who are going to have fun and no issues finishing the event don't really need the rewards. I don't need the rewards and don't think tanking my PSR for the sake of a few real world dollars worth of stuff is a great return.

#107 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,608 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 10:09 PM

View PostWarning incoming Humble Dexterer, on 13 August 2020 - 02:54 PM, said:

I think my comment on the missing event got completely ignored Posted Image

That's because it was covered before. Try LOS for a change, maybe... Posted Image

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 09 August 2020 - 10:07 PM, said:

View PostDirt Devil1, on 09 August 2020 - 11:59 AM, said:

Why is there no clan missile challenge in phase 2 of the event?

Because there are no Clan trial mechs involved that run missiles. As it is, most of Phase Two of this event can be done with trial mechs, like Phase One has to be done with trial mechs.

#108 Big-G

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 340 posts
  • LocationFormerly New Capetown, now Kikuyu - Lyran Alliance

Posted 14 August 2020 - 04:40 AM

I don't know why people complain about the trial mechs... I was able to start and finish all the challenges with said mechs in 1 day.

#109 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 14 August 2020 - 07:59 AM

View PostBig-G, on 14 August 2020 - 04:40 AM, said:

I don't know why people complain about the trial mechs... I was able to start and finish all the challenges with said mechs in 1 day.

Because, doable as the challenge is, the 'mechs themselves are terrible, and "wins" generally rely on the rest of the team to do all the work for you, while you hunt for a pre-damaged 'mech to pick off for your kill.

That said, my performance in some of my matches is putting lie to the notion that they're ALL terrible, but some of them could certainly use an update.

Edited by C337Skymaster, 14 August 2020 - 08:00 AM.

#110 Slambot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 203 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 08:24 AM

Perhaps the first 50 games could be in a 4v4 format with good cbill rewards and only play against tier 5 or other newbs

#111 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 14 August 2020 - 10:47 AM

View PostSlambot, on 14 August 2020 - 08:24 AM, said:

Perhaps the first 50 games could be in a 4v4 format with good cbill rewards and only play against tier 5 or other newbs

Just a couple of things: the first 25 matches DO come with a significant CBill boost (Cadet bonuses), and 4v4 play is SIGNIFICANTLY different from 12v12. :) Hence why a lot of scouting 'mechs are mediocre in QP.

#112 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 14 August 2020 - 01:34 PM

Maintenance Warning is up again... says it's happening Next Tuesday, August 18th, 2020 @ 17:00 UTC... This is going to interfere with this Event in a negative (potentially severe) manner, unless 'Phase 2' (and possibly 'Phase 1' as well) gets a 6-Hour Extension on the back end of things. It can definitely be said that Trial Mechs are NOT easy things to pilot. :mellow:

Could somebody PLEASE tell us what is going on?!?!? (Heck, where's the Patch Notes & Download Link that should be posted prior to what's happening?) :(

~D. V. "I'm depressed & confused in regards to this B.O.C. Event disruption." Devnull

[Micro-Edit by Post Author for a Formatting-Related Issue... Oops!]

Edited by D V Devnull, 14 August 2020 - 01:36 PM.

#113 Lance McRaven

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warrior
  • The Warrior
  • 167 posts
  • LocationMentor, Ohio

Posted 14 August 2020 - 02:26 PM

I loved the 3 mech system, and the challenges it presented. I was glad that I had to play multiple builds, within each mech type. It helped me to be more versatile. Getting a Hero mech was only so you could have a different variant. Most Heroes had weapons not offered within the others. It made running trials a lot of fun, as you checked their variant against your own. ;)

#114 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 03:45 PM

And now I just had this horribly reinforced by multiple Enemy Teams to my face...

View PostD V Devnull, on 14 August 2020 - 01:34 PM, said:

It can definitely be said that Trial Mechs are NOT easy things to pilot. Posted Image

...to such point that I now feel like 17 Total Days is simply not enough for an Event of this nature. I really hope we get an extension to at least 21 Total Days or the B.O.C. Event will likely cause a high rate of failure for those who needed/wanted to earn everything. These darned "Champion (C)" Mechs really only work when Teams work together. :(

~D. V. "one of those short-on-funds completionists, but trying to think about the greater picture" Devnull

#115 Ruediger Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 513 posts

Posted 15 August 2020 - 02:28 AM

View PostD V Devnull, on 14 August 2020 - 03:45 PM, said:

...to such point that I now feel like 17 Total Days is simply not enough for an Event of this nature.

Posted Image

Took me 2 days to complete phase 1.
It´s 16 mechs. So 1 mech per day.
1 day to get 1 victory and 1 kill or KMDD in 1 mech.
If you are not able to do that simple task ...
And phase 2 is easy as well. You don´t even have to use trial mechs for phase 2.
i simply don´t get how someone can say 17 days isn´t enough.

#116 letir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 217 posts

Posted 15 August 2020 - 04:14 AM

View PostWishmast3r, on 15 August 2020 - 02:28 AM, said:

You overrestimating power of the PUB side.

#117 Big-G

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 340 posts
  • LocationFormerly New Capetown, now Kikuyu - Lyran Alliance

Posted 15 August 2020 - 04:32 AM

Posted Image

Took me 2 days to complete phase 1....

Took me less than 1 day...

#118 Warning incoming Humble Dexterer

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 15 August 2020 - 01:18 PM

Maybe you should count in amount of hours instead of amount of days.

Anyway there's an event missing, guess which one.

#119 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 16 August 2020 - 12:57 AM

Posted Image

Took me 2 days to complete phase 1.
It´s 16 mechs. So 1 mech per day.
1 day to get 1 victory and 1 kill or KMDD in 1 mech.
If you are not able to do that simple task ...
And phase 2 is easy as well. You don´t even have to use trial mechs for phase 2.

I could answer you back with your same silly GIF image....... You're lucky, being able to complete all of 'Phase 1' that bloody quick. Either luck as a 1st possibility, you're higher in Tier than I am for a 2nd possibility, or you intentionally tanked your PSR in order to get easy games for yourself as a 3rd possibility... but any which way – as I can't see your current Tier – allowing you to just blow through things. :mellow:

In my case, as a 'Mid-to-High Tier 3' here, from the Event's start until now, I have been unable to complete at least SIX of the listed Mechs involved. Yes, in this pair of Challenge Sets, across both Tech Bases. I even found out my weak point is likely the TBR-C(C) Trial Mech and the Style associated with it, because it somehow is easily beaten down without regard to any action that I take, even when I'm operating at my very best! Further, I don't get all 17 Currently Available Days to use, given other things that are unavoidable in terms of being impeding. I might have had 11 at the most to work with, and it's really only 10.5 at the most (probably a tad less due to other things that happen in one's offline real life... say maybe 9 days at absolute most really because stuff happens, and I'm sure I haven't hit the other load of impedance coming my way yet) thanks to that incoming Maintenance Downtime (AND POSSIBLE PATCH) that comes on the 18th @ 10 AM PDT in the morning. Now, topple on that the constant issue of PUGs that would rather function like... well... let's just honestly say they're "Uncommunicative, Untrustable, Unherdable, Uncooperative, Nascaring, Potato-Brained Cats" in terms of behavior during most of the rounds that I've been in... and then add to it that the MatchMaker really seems to enjoy making me suffer. Finally add in the extra layer of trouble that 'Phase 2' which you mentioned will introduce, and I'm virtually stuffed. I might barely recover up to one day by sacrificing sleep – and my health overall, which I shouldn't be messing with – across the entire time that this Event runs for. So, maybe now you can understand why I'm already looking at needing more time than is currently provided to the B.O.C. Event. -_-

~Mr. D. V. "getting a grave sense that you lack understanding of anyone limited to lesser ability than you" Devnull

#120 ghost1e

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • 403 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationReigning World Champion

Posted 16 August 2020 - 01:26 AM

thing is, if I can complete phase 1 in 17 matches, needing only 1 game per mech (2 for the spider xD), you should easily be able to do it in 17 days :)

and if you're not, remember: events aren't necessarily made for everybody to be able to grab everything, just because MWO's events have been like that for a long time, doesn't mean they always will be

those matches were in a group, easiest way to secure wins, if you want to do it that way too DV, hit me up on discord (TheUltimateGhost#1964), I'd be up for some games

View PostWarning incoming Humble Dexterer, on 15 August 2020 - 01:18 PM, said:

Maybe you should count in amount of hours instead of amount of days.

Anyway there's an event missing, guess which one.

S7 Season 10 Kickoff

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users