• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 183 posts
  • LocationIn the Blob

Posted 11 August 2020 - 12:57 AM

View PostRRAMIREZ, on 06 August 2020 - 10:40 PM, said:

In a special queue "trial only", this would have been lot of fun
In soup queue with valves opened wide... not sure, sadly. :(

I have to admit that I had some refreshing games in trial mechs.
Not all... But some fun games.
Finishing 3 mechs in a 4 spl build at 9 11 end game being the climax

#82 TomatoTyson

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 02:50 AM

View PostPlato J, on 09 August 2020 - 10:49 PM, said:

Thats interesting, I have the hardest time with the Panther, the rest are fine for me. How do you do well in the Panther?

My recommendation for the other three, look for a wounded or distracted mech - close in and then savage their back. Go for the ones more isolated.

Pop-tarting with PPCs and eventually being lucky enough to get a kill. The dps is pitiful so you really need the kill as opposed to kmdd but compared to the other lights, which required suicide rushes to get a kill, I personally found the panther the least painful. Going for the back sounds great but you have to be in specific situations to really get it to work, where your team is on the offensive and the enemy is distracted, due to the low dps of the lights. They can be OK mechs but their load-outs are terrible, and i struggled even when behind the enemy to even strip away rear armor. I found multiple wounded mechs but someone was always able to kill them before me, people who had mechs with decent load-outs, might I add. I ended up getting the kills by being suicidal and playing off of the enemies unawareness to my whereabouts and striking them in the back or going for open components if possible. It probably says something about my play style that I found the panther the easiest to do of the 4. I might add as well that the play-style of being a light skirmisher and going for the back is something I am somewhat familiar with, it's the load-outs of the mechs that ruined it for me.

Edited by TomatoTyson, 11 August 2020 - 02:58 AM.

#83 Mochyn Pupur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 521 posts
  • LocationDerby, England

Posted 11 August 2020 - 03:13 AM

View PostWishmast3r, on 09 August 2020 - 12:11 AM, said:

And another stupid event by people who don´t know their own game, cause they don´t play it.

"but at least Matt is trying to keep the game alive"
And he is making the same mistakes over and over and over for years. How often did we have these trial mech events now? With outdated builds? Kill or KMDD with a 1xERLL Spider and 4xMGs? Kill or KMDD with a 2xPPC Panther?
Why make it 200 damage when you can annoy the community? Posted Image
Get a victory? With 11 ******** people running around like headless chicken, trying to get that kill in their trial mech? Are you serious?

Matt is promising to do it better next time ... every time ... for years ...

Hmmm, I got 7 kills plus a few KMDD in two games with those two lights - still valid (just) but its game awareness that makes the big difference - chase a mech down like you are carrying 8 mgs and 3 small pulses, you will die in the older style trial mechs.

Trickiest mech for me was the twin gauss Jager, but that's only because I lost use of most of my right hand in an industrial accident so struggle to keep the mouse button pressed or release it with any degree of finesse - three games to complete that mech but in the end, 4 XL kills in the last match. Longest time to complete was on the Myst Lynx, because I was feeling "invulnerable" on the last 2 of event's mechs . . . lol

#84 Coffeeghoul

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 06:42 AM

I'm skipping these events now. It's an absolute pain in the *** to get something done in these trial mechs. I'm not having fun at all, so maybe it's the right time to take some weeks off.

#85 ghost1e

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • 403 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationReigning World Champion

Posted 11 August 2020 - 06:59 AM

well, the GSP was worth it, bit too many trials around atm now, maybe give them skilltrees after all????

#86 ExoForce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 775 posts
  • LocationFields of the Nephilim

Posted 11 August 2020 - 11:50 AM

Edited by ExoForce, 11 August 2020 - 11:51 AM.

#87 ExoForce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 775 posts
  • LocationFields of the Nephilim

Posted 11 August 2020 - 12:12 PM

Finally i dig gauss Jager. Start charging behind corner, pick and shoot legs. From IS liked Phoenix most - amazing mech.

#88 Bolo Atari

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 259 posts
  • LocationGlengarry

Posted 12 August 2020 - 05:43 AM

Speaking of Panthers: whomever is piloting them tend to be strong PITAs.

#89 GARION26

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 301 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 06:31 AM

View PostExoForce, on 11 August 2020 - 12:12 PM, said:

Finally i dig gauss Jager. Start charging behind corner, pick and shoot legs. From IS liked Phoenix most - amazing mech.

I had a 450 or so damage game in the Jaeger which is a very good game for me. I really liked the playstyle (Polar Highlands helped)
Hill peak, shoot and duck, and a bit of shoot and twist.

#90 C337Skymaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 12 August 2020 - 09:11 AM

View PostAudacious Aubergine, on 07 August 2020 - 04:08 PM, said:

Because many of the champion builds come with XL engines and ferro/endo upgrades, and buying the package with MC saves the c-bill grind

Honestly, if you're gonna be that way about it, it's cheaper to just buy the CB bundle for MC or $, from the store. Then you don't have to worry about grinding CB. You can just buy as much as you need. There's something satisfying about "finally" being able to afford, something, though. As someone who's had way too many CB since the Skill Tree Refund, I'll tell you it takes some of the fun out of the game.

View PostOneTeamPlayer, on 07 August 2020 - 06:53 PM, said:

Champions have always been a poor value proposition. They always immediately lose their sole bonus upon mech mastery.

The only time they were seen often was back in the day when the 3 mech system meant that one would have to use 3 variants in a chassis thus the MC packages had one hero, one solid plain, and one champion version mech.

Now that the skill maze is in the champion variants are completely useless.

The other advantage, back then, was that trial 'mechs earned XP, and all variants of a particular chassis shared the same skill tree, so you could use a trial 'mech to earn boatloads of XP, then buy the CB variant and have all the skills unlocked right away. Now that you have to skill each 'mech individually, even if it's a duplicate, you don't get anything from a Trial 'mech, and the XP bonus is wasted.

View PostTomatoTyson, on 07 August 2020 - 08:23 PM, said:

These mechs are beyond painful to use. I spent nearly an hour trying to get a win and kill with the spider.

View Postw0qj, on 08 August 2020 - 07:57 AM, said:

I feel that if MWO offered this Champion promotion in the future, they should offer medium / heavy / assault Trial mechs only.

Trying to make just one (1) kill with an unskilled light Trial mech is very challenging indeed.

Doing KMDD (Kill with Most Damage Dealt) with your light Trial mech? You must be joking.

View PostWishmast3r, on 09 August 2020 - 02:47 AM, said:

And done!
Most pain in the *** was by far the Jagermech. The dps is so low there is no chance to support a ****** team to get a win. Took me 10 games.

View PostTomatoTyson, on 08 August 2020 - 07:22 PM, said:

I wouldn't be surprised if player numbers take a dive. Once I'm done with this event, soon hopefully, I'm not playing til the second phase, then I'm taking a break. This event is an absolute joke and the trial mechs, especially the lights (except the panther), are horrendous. And sure you could not play the event but then what's the point of it. It should be fun, challenging and rewarding. This is just boring.

So for me, it was the trial Highlander, with the trial Kodiak, and trial Arctic Cheetah as close second and third. The Highlander took 10 or more games to get a win (though I managed to get a solo kill the very 1st time out). The asymmetrical build is well-known to nearly everyone, and is a focused weak point. Also, the 'mech has heat problems that the skill tree could easily address, but given the 0 skills condition......
The Kodiak's whole point, purpose, and schtick is mobility. Yet the KDK-3 has less mobility than a freaking Annihilator..... They need to get rid of the two extra ballistic hardpoints and give it back its mobility...
As for the ACH and MLX: those builds were meta a very long time ago, but because they were "too" good, they both got the nerf hammer, and HARD. The weapons those builds rely on have been castrated, in large part due to those builds, and builds like what fit on the Nova-Prime, leaving those 'mechs without much more than a stick to shake.

View PostD V Devnull, on 08 August 2020 - 02:59 AM, said:

...there really isn't much point, is there? At least there's none, unless you're actively trying to build up GXP (General XP) for something else in the future. Posted Image

There's no point. Because there's no point in having GXP, anymore, and the "bonus" you get for GXP is a pittance compared to how much you'll wind up spending (an extra 10 GXP per match, where a skill point costs 800 XP, and you need 10 or 20 of them to make any noticeable difference in anything). GXP used to unlock the modules, at which point it had its own specific purpose that was unique to GXP. Now that we get GSP in the events, GXP may as well cease to exist.

View PostD V Devnull, on 08 August 2020 - 02:59 AM, said:

It took you that long? I only needed one Match in the "WarHawk WHK-C(C) Trial 'Mech" version, and realized that Trial Mechs are like paper. Anyone can punch them through, make them fold up, and/or cause them to burn all too easily. Worse, due to a lack of a "Trial Mechs ONLY Queue" for people to do the Event in, this whole thing is easily messed up by everyone and/or their colleagues/friends/family/relatives who brings out a Non-Trial Mech onto the field. That truthfully just flatly ruins the Event in complete entirety, and turns it into what could be called "Die, Cannon Fodder" or "Eat The Old Champions For Breakfast" for possible Event Name options. (I could even go so far as to pick something a tad more dirty for choices in names, but I'm trying to not be rudely nasty here. I know whoever made this Event was just trying to make something interesting, and I can at least appreciate that. Unfortunately, this blasted Community is at complete & total fault for screwing it all up for them.) Posted Image

~Mr. D. V. "currently only able to see sad things in the B.O.C. Event that's running" Devnull

I'm surprised you had that much trouble in the trial Warhawk. Of all the trial 'mechs, that's my favorite, and easily the only one that doesn't need to be updated for the current state of the game. If you've got 3 buttons for 3 weapon groups, that 'mech is AMAZING at heat efficient pinpoint damage dealing, and at getting kills, while retaining a high level of mobility, and some durability. It's got no back armor, though, which could have been part of why you thought it felt like paper.

View PostMighty Spike, on 08 August 2020 - 05:27 AM, said:

yep and now imagine how a newby who must use these, trys to get clear with them. No clue bout Heat / Weapon managment,twisting .... and they wonder why many people try the game once and will never be seen again^^ PGI really needs to do something with the Mechs & builds Newbys have to start with.

View PostOneTeamPlayer, on 09 August 2020 - 04:01 AM, said:

Just throwing out that 3/3/3/3 featured some of the most balanced and tactical matches ever seen in MWO with a variety of tactics and the tonnage to make each weight class necessary for a role and a positive contributor to the team.

Its removal is another example of the playerbase being complicit in the circlewalk championships we have today.

Edit: Also

Unskilled mechs versus fully skilled mechs is unfun, frustrating, and severely limits natural skill?

Welcome to the new player experience as seen by the few players who are still discovering this game and could be shoring up the population.

Perhaps we could use this as a chance to push for an improved experience for Cadets (and a longer lifespan of the game) instead of solely considering how we personally were mildly inconvenienced for a short time.

...but that might be too much like teamwork and i know how the people left feel about that particular concept.

THIS!!! THESE!!! THESE RIGHT HERE!!!

Everyone's bitching about how "trial 'mechs suck", and "if you want to win, just don't play a trial 'mech" (like everyone owns champions when they're literally a waste of MC. The only ones I own were event rewards. Speaking of which... Matt Newman, hint hint? Posted Image ).

Now consider the fact that a new player, who might not even have heard of Battletech before, is expected to jump in and just "use" a trial 'mech... And they're supposed to enjoy the game, and possibly stick around and spend money on it, especially if they haven't figured out the frequent events and MC rewards the 1st time they run out of 'mech bays, or they want to own all the Hero 'mechs.

The trial 'mechs need to be updated to something that can compete, or at least be fun to play, in the modern game. Also, whatever it was that used to discourage NASCAR, we need that back. New players in slow 'mechs get swept up by the rotato all too easily and need a chance to shoot without relying on their full forward speed to keep them just barely with the team, or else get left to the locust swarm.

Personally, I'm a fan of stock builds: the 'mechs are already quirked to use those weapons, so they'll often perform better, especially with a lack of skills, and TT builds are often mixed builds, capable of doing SOMETHING in every situation, even if they can't maximize one specific situation, they also aren't completely shut out in another. That said, trial builds should really only be two weapon groups (maybe three). And trial 'mechs should NEVER be asymmetrical. Because they're a trial 'mech, they'll always be the same, and a weakness like that will be too well-known.

Something else that PGI should consider, is adding something like 40 or 50 skills to the trial 'mechs. Not completely mastered, but not completely impotent, either. 'Mechs with ECM should definitely get the ECM nodes. Perhaps those 'mechs should also get a seismic sensor or two, as well. 'mechs with jump jets should get jump jet skills. Hot builds could get the operations tree (cool run). UAC builds or missile builds could get their respective side of the firepower tree. And a little mixing and matching within the limits of 40 or 50 skills. Something so a knew player knows what things are "supposed" to feel like, and isn't being absolutely dunked on for being new...

Edited by C337Skymaster, 12 August 2020 - 09:13 AM.

#91 letir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 217 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 12:33 PM

Many of trial 'Mechs dosen't age well with nerfs, and lack of skills not helping. The only "competetive" builds are mediums and long-ranged platforms, which can somehow score without being killed too quickly.

Forcing people to play those gimped builds without skills is cruel joke.

#92 Warning incoming Humble Dexterer

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 03:40 PM

I can't get a lock on the Clan Missile Challenges.

#93 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 12 August 2020 - 04:46 PM

View PostLockheed_, on 12 August 2020 - 10:36 AM, said:

I tried to introduce someone to the game 2 months ago. He played for 2 day, maybe 10 matches and never touched the game again. He got out nascared, out gunned, he had no clue how shoot a gauss rifle until I explained the mechanics and basically got just obliterated every single match. Another friend and I then grouped with him and tried to help him and learn the game, but it just was no fun for him. He experienced all the "joys" of an unskilled, badly equipped mech, that gets outplayed by everyone. Who thought it would be a good idea to give people who lack the skills and knowledge how to play the game a sub par mech when the population does not allow for a newbie queue where they can figure stuff out together in an environment, where they dont get roflstomped by experienced players in fully skilled and vastly better equipped mechs? If the game doesn't have the numbers to put them into a sort of learners group then please give these people something that is actually good. Maybe even give them free Coolshots for trial mechs for example , so they have an advantage that helps them learn the game and have fun.

Hell, there are stock 'mechs that are better than some of these so-called "Champion" builds. The in-game tool tip says "check back often, because trial 'mechs change frequently", yet it seems like they only change every year or so. I think three months is the fastest I've ever seen them rotated, and to a new player, that's not "frequently".

As a lorehound, and someone who enjoys stock 'mechs, I thought that it would be a neat idea if ALL of the 'mechs were available, in their stock (store) configurations, but divvied up among the factions where they would normally be found. So, for example: you could only play a Dragon if you were aligned with Kurita or Rasalhague. Or a Jagermech would only be found with the Davions, etc. Common 'mechs, such as the Atlas-D, would be found with everyone, but the Atlas-K would only be Kuritan. From there, there are some GOOD stock designs (3060's, onward) that would make for a good first 'mech for a new player, but anyone who's just picking up the game can play any 'mech and get a feel for how it's supposed to perform. And yes, Assassins will suck until they buy one, but PGI really needs to up the scouting bonuses.

Either that, or champion 'mechs need to be updated every month or so. Or at least revisited every month, and re-evaluated as to whether they're still good or not, and if not, their loadouts need to be changed. That means that every month or two, all the "champion" builds in the store will change, and their prices would change to reflect that (though given that they cost MC, it wouldn't change much). Somehow, they need to be kept relevant, and up-to-date. And if nothing else, the ECM skills on trial 'mechs with ECM need to be equipped! You can start over at zero if you decide to buy the 'mech, but when it's a brand-new player who's never played before, they have no idea that unskilled ECM is wasted tonnage. They think it's actually doing something for them.

#94 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 12 August 2020 - 05:00 PM

Another idea: start off new players with Comstar, and give them all the "b" variants of 'mechs (the Star League Royal Guard 'mechs). Those generally had double heat sinks, better armor, better weapons and equipment, more ammo, etc. If a "b" variant doesn't exist, PGI could add it, even if it's just a "champion" version of a regular 'mech (Catapult C1b, for example, simply swaps to double heat sinks, and replaces three of them with two more tons of ammo and C.A.S.E.).

#95 Bolo Atari

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 259 posts
  • LocationGlengarry

Posted 13 August 2020 - 05:11 AM

View PostLockheed_, on 12 August 2020 - 10:36 AM, said:

I tried to introduce someone to the game 2 months ago. He played for 2 day, maybe 10 matches and never touched the game again.
He got out nascared, out gunned, he had no clue how shoot a gauss rifle until I explained the mechanics and basically got just obliterated every single match. Another friend and I then grouped with him and tried to help him and learn the game, but it just was no fun for him. He experienced all the "joys" of an unskilled, badly equipped mech, that gets outplayed by everyone.
Who thought it would be a good idea to give people who lack the skills and knowledge how to play the game a sub par mech when the population does not allow for a newbie queue where they can figure stuff out together in an environment, where they dont get roflstomped by experienced players in fully skilled and vastly better equipped mechs?
If the game doesn't have the numbers to put them into a sort of learners group then please give these people something that is actually good. Maybe even give them free Coolshots for trial mechs for example , so they have an advantage that helps them learn the game and have fun.

This happens no matter the day. I'm sorry to read your friend didn't have fun. Yet, maybe part of the discussion could be what do *you* do to overcome the same reality (using unskilled Mechsx loadouts we can't change, partnering with/against veterans, etc.).

Thus event just highlights the problem of stock Mechs, but we all faced it whenever we joined. So how are we still here? Perseverence? Dedication? Self-education? The game can't give or teach these and it's unrealistic to expect it to do so.

Edited by Bolo Atari, 13 August 2020 - 05:13 AM.

#96 OneTeamPlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 399 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 07:01 AM

View PostBolo Atari, on 13 August 2020 - 05:11 AM, said:

This happens no matter the day. I'm sorry to read your friend didn't have fun. Yet, maybe part of the discussion could be what do *you* do to overcome the same reality (using unskilled Mechsx loadouts we can't change, partnering with/against veterans, etc.).

Thus event just highlights the problem of stock Mechs, but we all faced it whenever we joined. So how are we still here? Perseverence? Dedication? Self-education? The game can't give or teach these and it's unrealistic to expect it to do so.

The skill tree didn't exist when most of us joined.

When I joined under the 3 mech system my mech may have had less mobility and a little lower heat management unskilled, but it didn't have a fraction of the armor, structure, heat capacity, and mobility as it does now.

Pinpoint alpha damage has gone through the roof at the same time as new player armor has been lowered leading to an experience that none of the old hands ever dealt with.

These days when i buy a new mech i use GSP to fill out the armor tree (and ECM nodes) before i'll even take it out for a spin.

If i don't have the GXP GSP to push over that initial hump, I just don't buy or use the mech, period.

If i'd started at this point with no money and the need to spend all my money not on new mechs, but just making the single one I owned perform at base stats I never would have spent the time necessary to make a feedback loop to keep playing the game and I surely never would have invested money.

So I'd like to repeat: This event reinforces the fact that the modern new player experience is much worse than many old time players had ever imagined for themselves to the point where skilled players find themselves unable or unwilling to finish a limited run event in mechs we expect new players to spend a majority of their playtime in for the first few weeks if not months.

#97 w0qj

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,411 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 13 August 2020 - 08:08 AM

How about letting the Trial (Champion) mechs [and all Trial mechs for that matter] come pre-equipped with a pre-determined 91-skill point tree fully allocated? Some in Survival, Mobility, FirePower, Sensor, etc.

This would greatly help sell these mechs to potential buyers of the same.
After all, Trial mechs are to encourage sales, right?

(MWO need to make sure future trial mech buyers that it's a fully skilled-out 91-point skill tree).

#98 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 13 August 2020 - 09:05 AM

View PostBolo Atari, on 13 August 2020 - 05:11 AM, said:

Well, I, for one, started 5 years ago under the 3 'mech system where it was prohibitively expensive for most people to have most of the upgrades we get for cheap, today, and where you had to be MUCH more choosy about what upgrades your 'mech got, because you were limited to a very small handful. So the gap between zero and mastered has expanded rather widely since Skill Tree.

For another thing, I came to MWO after playing MW2, MW3, MW4 and MC1 & MC2, in in-game chronological order, on repeat for a few years. So I would have toughed it out, despite the slog. I also recently started a 2nd account, to get the "free-to-play" feel, (I got suckered into an MC sale almost immediately, the 1st time, and had premium time running most of the time I was getting established). With my prior-knowledge, however, I knew which Trial 'mech to start with (WHK), which 'mechs to buy, how they worked, and which loadouts worked for me, all knowledge that a new player wouldn't have.

I also started the new account right before the PSR reset, so 90% of the established player base was up in Tier 2 and Tier 1, and I was starting out in Tier 4, and had to work my way up to Tier 3. Now, 90% of the established player base is in Tier 3, and so are all of the Cadets, so they're getting nice short wait times, but are getting thrown in with veterans without necessarily having a clue what they're doing.

I play all stock, by the way, so it's not "stock" 'mechs that have a problem. It's the "champion" 'mechs whose builds are severely out of date, and were never meant to work with that chassis, anyway.

Edited by C337Skymaster, 13 August 2020 - 09:06 AM.

#99 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 13 August 2020 - 09:09 AM

View PostLockheed_, on 13 August 2020 - 08:16 AM, said:

Yes something like this needs to happen. I'd love to bring new players to the game, but I wont, because they will leave quickly if they are not completely addicted to the BT universe and I dont know anyone like that.

That's because anyone who's like that would have already found their way to this game sometime in the last 8 years, and probably within the first two or three. I would have been a Founder if I'd had hardware that could have played the game. I was 3 years late waiting to buy a new enough computer.

#100 chevy42083

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 114 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 11:59 AM

View PostMarquis De Lafayette, on 07 August 2020 - 08:52 AM, said:

This event could easily be sub-titled “The Tank Your PSR Challenge”

Truth. Mine dropped significantly. But only because of a FEW mechs... most of them completed the task quite quickly and I actually played VERY well. Then some were HORRIBLE for the psr. It was compounded by leveling up a couple mechs recently too.

But I'm climbing quickly back up now that I'm in my favorite mechs again.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users