Monday Mechwarrior Update With Daeron

146 replies to this topic

#41 Hasmer

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 02:41 AM

I tried to get my friend into the game. Here are a couple of highlights from his feedback
1) When I asked how was first matches his response was like "I shot someone a couple of times. Not sure I did any damage though". Basically he had no idea there are
a ) weapon systems with minimum range (ppc, lrm, etc)
b ) weapon systems with no damage reduction beyond optimal (srm, mrm etc.)
c ) colors in weapon bar actually mean something (black - min. range or out of range, yellow - beyond optimal, green - optimal)
2) When I asked which mech he used he said Warhawk. I said that's an assault class mech and they are slow and not really good for beginners and suggested him to get heavy or medium he told he only has two mechs to choose from. Basically by default filters set up so that new players don't see all available trial mechs
3) When he played a couple of matches on trial catapult he told me that game is lagging. We all know that catapult has missile bay doors which are closed by default and when you click to shot it takes fraction of a second for missiles to actually fire out. He thought this was lag

Another thing I saw on another new player stream is gauss. He clicked to fire but nothing happened. He clicked a couple more times - still nothing. He was like what the hell? I told him to hold mouse for a bit to charge the weapon. He did that but over-holded and when he released a button a gauss was already discharged and, again, no shot was made.

My point is a lot of people on forums complain about how it is hard for new players to buy new mech, to skill it up and refit, etc. But in reality some players don't even need that. They stop playing because not a lot of explanations were given to them. They don't even need to buy a mech because they are lost and don't want to suffer in this game.

#42 denAirwalkerrr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 02:49 AM

Gonna be short. If PGI wants to start making more money from MWO simple QoL won't just cut it as in they add 0 insentive to buy anything especially to people who played this game for years. So priority should be on fixing NPE (reworking the horrific trials system and clogged skill tree should be #1 for that part) and find ways to attract new players. How? I don't know.

Everything else from Ash community doc would be nice to have if it requires low dev time bit it's secondary.

Edited by denAirwalkerrr, 03 November 2020 - 02:51 AM.

#43 AnAnachronismAlive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 417 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 05:12 AM

Posted ImageInnerSphereNews, on 02 November 2020 - 05:12 PM, said:
[...] definite areas of consensus already establishing themselves, like New Player Experience, Skill Tree, Solaris, Faction Play, Map Updates, Game Mode Updates, and more. But that doesn't mean anything is off the table yet. [...]

Foremost a "Thank you!" for starting a regular/on-going mode/loop of (hopefully dialogic) communication: is and will be one of the most central steps to regain some credit lost over the last couple of years.

While most of us can only imagine the amount of information sent towards PGI in general / you especially during the last weeks, I still gotta point out that NOT using the plethora of e-mail adresses PGI should still have in store to inform/rally former players via some sort of newsletter about the "intended overhaul" of MWO feels like a significant flaw in terms of creating an attention / interest base as big as possible (if legally viable that is). Even if only 50% of the mailadresses in store are still in use / checked upon on a regular basis, attention and/or participation influx is likely to rise by a significant amount with minimal/manageable effort invested.

While I have no information about the percentage of players not using the standalone-client but steam as an entry point for MWO, it comes as a surprise no pinned thread or news window points towards the initiated overhaul process / discussion exists at all. Kinda easy to lose oneself in echo chambers / filter bubbles of subjectively perceived MWO-publicity. And yes, I know your day has 24 hours only ...

So despite having reached somewhat of a consensus on certain issues to adress (a good thing, not an iota of debate about that), I gotta admit a strategic examination / pathing of "what makes this game fun in general and/or for certain target groups, how to cater the strengths / pull-factors MWO offers and how to adress the flaws / push-factors of hampering game aspects" still feels missing.

No devaluation of effort taken intended ...

Edited by AnAnachronismAlive, 03 November 2020 - 07:19 AM.

#44 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 03 November 2020 - 05:12 AM

View PostOldbob10025, on 03 November 2020 - 02:30 AM, said:

I hope that answers some questions you may have and I do hope you come watch or even listen in your car (I travel 1.5 hours to work each day so I have many podcasts to listen to LOL) with podcasts or what not but its not his only line of communication and hes trying to get the word out to as many people as possible so PGI can go forward in doing what they are doing.

I prefer to read an audio-book with that travel time.

#45 Alan Hicks

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 414 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 06:06 AM

View PostHasmer, on 03 November 2020 - 02:41 AM, said:

My point is a lot of people on forums complain about how it is hard for new players to buy new mech, to skill it up and refit, etc. But in reality some players don't even need that. They stop playing because not a lot of explanations were given to them. They don't even need to buy a mech because they are lost and don't want to suffer in this game.

Exactly, it's good we might get some necessary changes for MWO in the future, but addressing the reason why people stay away from the game is a priority, in this case, considering the new player experience.

I agree, a lot with the weapons and mechs is simply not explained, one more reason to leave or stop playing.

#46 eggyh4ck99BarrelsAndRumAint1Yar

• PipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 56 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 06:21 AM

Mechs, maps, mechs, maps
If it’s possible to populate mwo again without going into unreal engine then you just need lots of content
Whoever is working needs to go 1000% in
Any work done is hard work earned
All the game modes are fun, community just wasn’t ready for Solaris

Maybe start with adding some combat effects, fire and mechs exploding? New sounds and immersion
Maybe add AI infantry or tanks? What’s the most players a Solaris free for all could handle?? Might make a fun event
Get rid of arty and air strikes. Need monthly mech packs and bimonthly maps
You can do small changes but everyone has a different opinion about that and small things are small
(Won’t have any lasting or serious effect)

Pls don’t post about living legends on mwo forum, living legends models and animations are atrocious

#47 Amro One

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 136 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 06:32 AM

I started playing again after 2 years now that MW5 hype is done and MWO is getting looked at.

Change is good, accept change, adapt to show your true skill.

Please make more CHANGES.

#48 Pz_DC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Staff Sergeant
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 06:34 AM

Well, I hope that all forces will be focused on balance issues at 1st, and new maps-mods-mechs 2nd, while new tech level and other useless stuff will be last one - while new tech level looks promising, it's "strange" to increase amount of unbalanced items instead balance existed ones :P And all those graph, UI and sound issues that "may" listed by a lot of players are less problems compared to balance issues.
P.S. new tier system didn't work at all IMHO, we need more tiers with less players per match - we have FP for "a-lof-of-players-actions" while QP need to be more focused on "mission-based-modes" IMHO.

#49 XerBlackWolf

Rookie

• The Devout
  • The Devout
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 06:51 AM

Optimize the game then with working stable baseline start adding more stuff rn game run good for product 5 years ago but compared to 2020 projects its bad. From my perespective its sad when I can play new titles with 240+ fps and in mwo its 1/3 of it or even less.

#50 Knight Captain Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 340 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 06:59 AM

So when you say nothing is off the table yet, does that mean separating premade groups and casual solos into their own queues is still a possibility or are you just giving us a lot of empty lip service?

#51 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 07:00 AM

View PostAkillius, on 02 November 2020 - 08:37 PM, said:

Issue most face in 2020 is the Covid issue which affects personal and businesses income.
How about Daevon and Russ discuss how Covid affected PGI???

oh please, covid caused a massive population spike according to jarls. im sure lots of game devs are turnig fat stacks right now. raking in that stimulus dough from hordes of gamers.

Edited by LordNothing, 03 November 2020 - 07:00 AM.

#52 w0qj

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,368 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 03 November 2020 - 07:20 AM

1. We thank MWO for giving regular feedback to MWO fans!

2. Agree with others, can a concise text summary be posted?
We wish to intelligently discuss MWO going forward, in a constructive way!

(But some of us do not have time to listen to podcasts that are 50min to 150min long !!)

View PostTrixxstrr, on 02 November 2020 - 06:31 PM, said:

Please post text summary, I don’t want to listen to a podcast.

#53 IanDresarie

• PipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 92 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 November 2020 - 07:34 AM

View Postw0qj, on 03 November 2020 - 07:20 AM, said:

2. Agree with others, can a concise text summary be posted?
We wish to intelligently discuss MWO going forward, in a constructive way!

(But some of us do not have time to listen to podcasts that are 50min to 150min long !!)

TLDR right now is quite simple: Dearon has spend a few weeks collecting feedback from a crapton of sources and has gotten the go-ahead from Russ to basically do with MW:O what he thinks will save it. Next step this week is to prioritise the best ideas that will have the highest return on their investment and pitch them to Russ. Next monday we will (hopefully) get an update on what topics will be focused on first at which point he'll gather as much feedback on that particular topic as possible.

Edited by IanDresarie, 03 November 2020 - 07:35 AM.

#54 IanDresarie

• PipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 92 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 November 2020 - 07:46 AM

It was suggested to me to post our (The First Circuit's) idea for a low-budget New-Player-Experience here. Note: There are many ways this can be improved and expanded given some investment. This is meant to show the cheapest (?) way to an "acceptable" UX.
You can also give us feedback on the Youtube video or via Twitter.
Posted Image

#55 KrocodockleTheBooBoxLoader-GetIn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 337 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 07:53 AM

Destiny 2 style random perks! Make collecting mechs interesting

#56 Paul Meyers DEST

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 539 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 08:00 AM

I still hope to see a new player mech pack mentioned 10 dollars, 4 mechs, 400 GSP, 10 Million cbills, 4 colors.

#57 Larsh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Lanner
  • The Lanner
  • 272 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationYinz all going to EnP at PGH n'at?

Posted 03 November 2020 - 09:36 AM

I had to take a break from MWO, and games in general, this past summer due to family and work related stuff but I am glad to see that some communication has started up again with Daeron as head. He has been a part of the community for a long time and brings a much needed passion to the game development.

After jumping back in this past week, and talking to some close friends that have tried to get into MWO, I had some of the following thoughts:

New MWO Player Experience / Intro

IanDresarie earlier posted a screenshot of an outline that we had thought of to assist players just starting MWO. After playing through the initial Academy we found it to be adequate in teaching the basics on weapons, range, and overall mech movement.

A lot of confusion I've found is from the large info dump that a player is given once finishing the Academy. We thought a better idea is to use Breadcrumb Navigation. Once they finish the Academy only have certain game elements open to them, and open more items as they progress. The full process can be seen in Ian's screenshot above, and at this timestamp from our podcast earlier:

https://youtu.be/VdLcxj9QfPI?t=6129

Also place new players in T4 so they are not discouraged from going against more skilled players.

Improving Player Input On New Mechs

New content is great for a game. What's even better? Asking what the community what they might want to see.

PGI could simply create a poll at the beginning of a new mech development listing (whatever number) of mechs for the players to choose from. Place an end date to the poll, and release the mechs throughout the year that were selected by the community.

Another option could be done for PGI original mechs, and already established mechs to an extent.

Poll could still be used, but have multiple options to create a more open ended result.

Option 1: Clan or IS
Option 2: Light, Medium, Heavy, Assault
Option 3: Weapon Focus - Energy, Ballistic, Missile
Option 4: etc.

I borrowed the latter idea from Hasbro when they were designing a new character for their Transformer line of comics and figures. This allowed for some interesting consumer input, and made them feel like they "created" something towards that universe.
Example here: https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Fan_polls

Quirks

Nothing big to state here and is pretty self explanatory. The overall feel of mechs have felt very similar across various chassis. Quirks don't need to be huge, but some mechs need some more flavor for a person to want to use it.

New Player Starter Pack

This was mentioned earlier in the forum, but a new "starter" mech pack would benefit new players, as well as PGI's wallet. Meet with veteran players to see what mechs they think are good beginner mechs and price the pack accordingly.

Skill Tree Node Cut

If the skill tree is here to stay, cut down on the nodes. Much of it feels like insignificant bumps to stats when you progress though matches to gain more skill points. Bump up the stats, and cut the nodes.

Give Players A More Concrete Timeline For This Community Input

Reaching out to the community is a great idea for input. But, we also need to know if there is a deadline for this input. Or will it be ongoing?

Either way, it would be good to know that by Date (unknown) that some player input will be used to create update (unknown)

Edited by Larsh, 03 November 2020 - 09:38 AM.

#58 NAMEUNKOWN

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 11:13 AM

There was talk of rescaling the mechs ect please fix the summoner dome head its is not round it should be square

#59 blackbullitt

• PipPip
  • General III
  • General III
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 11:41 AM

sorry but maybe no one else has the stones to tell you. a podcast is not sitting on my couch. five minutes is enough. should be the quick update! so i got nothing out of it because it was too freaking long, stopped at 4:57. just do a pop in, five minutes or less. dont need sean either, sorry i get nothing out of your talking to each other, do that on your time. we want to hear facts, you should hire me i would do way better than you are right now. the podcast thing is dumb.

#60 Oldbob10025

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 831 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationOldfolks home

Posted 03 November 2020 - 11:51 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 03 November 2020 - 05:12 AM, said:

I prefer to read an audio-book with that travel time.

Thats a skill I have to learn is to READ a AUDIO BOOK while driving... YUK YUK But I get what you say my friend Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users