- - - - -

Mechwarrior Online 2021: Monetization

2021 monetization

281 replies to this topic

#261 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 12:13 AM

I really dont know, why M+M Voting is not a Premium Time item.

That stuff is exactly what you would monetize and it is not a pay to win item but a flair, convenience and xp/money booster item.

I get it that the damage has been done and it can not be reverted but maybe you find a way to offer an improved M+M Voting and Premium Time option that can be monetized.

Like give the monetized option exclusive Mode voting (every mode is skirmish anyway so it probably wont budge the players to much and at the same time offers the feeling of control to the paying players).

Like give paying customers exclusive right to vote for new maps with a vote multiplicator (it probably wont budge the other f2players to much bcs they want to see the new maps aswell and i gives a feeling of control to paying players).

Have that package include modificators so they get either events done with less effort or more reward or both - that can be experimented - you have events running anyway all the time.

Offer on top a campaign reward and bundle events into themed campaings and those who participate in at least 80% of the events get that.

Edited by Thorqemada, 05 August 2021 - 12:14 AM.

#262 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,698 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 05 August 2021 - 03:35 PM

View PostThorqemada, on 05 August 2021 - 12:13 AM, said:

I really dont know, why M+M Voting is not a Premium Time item.

Because it would allow them a disproportionate degree of optimizing the map & mode selection to the mech they're dropping in.

View PostThorqemada, on 05 August 2021 - 12:13 AM, said:

and it is not a pay to win item
Pay to Win is literally paying to get a competitive advantage over non-paying players. Exclusive control over map and mode voting definitively qualifies.

#263 IronWolfPack64

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 269 posts

Posted 06 August 2021 - 07:24 AM

View PostClaive, on 21 July 2021 - 11:24 AM, said:

I would like to see drop deck packs for faction warfare. Customers could pay one price and get four mechs whose tonnage was close to or equal to the drop deck tonnage limit for the Clans or I.S.

This is a good idea

#264 Belorion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 06 September 2021 - 07:53 AM

I feel like there was a labor day opportunity that was missed.

#265 Danichi Itobar

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 September 2021 - 01:28 PM

I agree. i actually logged in just now to see if there was a Labor day sale. I know we just had a sale, but can we get another day of something to make up for this missed opportunity? I would just be cool and we would appreciate it :)

Anyone else agree?

#266 Canadian House Owl

• PipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 59 posts
  • LocationEdmonton

Posted 24 December 2021 - 10:08 AM

I haven't read all the posts here, but I'd be in favor of a season pass for MWO. Something have gives paints, camo, light or XL engines, bolt on, etc. could even been themed for the season.

#267 Notrich

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 December 2021 - 01:06 PM

View PostDaeron Katz, on 16 November 2020 - 12:51 PM, said:

In this thread, lets discuss ideas for updating or adding to our current monetization model in MechWarrior Online, such as:
  • New Player Packs
  • Starter Packs (Brawling, Long Range, Heavy)
  • Themed Packs (Pop Culture, NASCAR)
  • New Items (Metallic Patterns, Custom UI Colors, Voice Packs, Sound Packs, Laser Color Customization, MechLab Customization, Global Patterns)
  • Improve Cockpit Item Bonuses (added value)

optionally allow an NFT wallet to be associated with your account.

existing parts on your acct will be dropped with a bronze border and a 50% profit share with the dev

new parts can be minted online with a different color borders and share a percentage (10%-20%) of future profits

in addition to selling parts in game for ingame currency, you can sell NFT parts either in Part Packs or individually.

in addition to selling mech packs for real world cash, you could sell them for crypto on opensea.

once there is a population of crypto gamers and a decent flow of money in the market place - you can start NFT only tournaments.

why insert nfts into this game?
millions are being spent on glorified minecraft/voxel games that have 2 button controls with very little gameplay

A real game that works like mwo, could make a killing in that market

why have different levels/borders for parts? the existing player base would help develop the nft player base. by having a different profit share with the dev on those parts, while they are still sellable, they wouldn't be as profitable as the newer nft parts as they come onto the market.

edit - another way to improve monetization and the player experience is to stop sticking year old threads?

Edited by Notrich, 30 December 2021 - 02:02 PM.

#268 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,698 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 30 December 2021 - 03:33 PM

Yuck, NFTs. Please don't bring that cancer here.

#269 TheSteelRhino

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 600 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 30 December 2021 - 06:28 PM

How about new Mechs?

Crusader, Conjurer, Griffin IIC, Red Corsair's battlemaster. Valkyrie, CRUSADER. Penetrator...Now that I think the PPC/GAUSS Combo has been appropriately nerfed can we pretty please have a Devastator? Prettys sure I can run that weapons combo all over the place.

Oh yeah, don't forget the CRUSADER.

Now if you are concerned about overlapping your dev with MW5, crusader, Valkyrie definitely fall into that time range.

Or..you want to get REALLY wild? Do a COMSTAR MECH pack.
Thug
Shootist
Lancelot
Flashman

Or if you don't want to do dev, you could do a bunch of "ClanBuster" variants.
BL-9 KNT ..or course the hatchet is an issue.

But the stuff you mentioned..only cockpit items that give some sort of bonus are of any interest.

#270 Notrich

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 January 2022 - 04:42 PM

View PostHorseman, on 30 December 2021 - 03:33 PM, said:

Yuck, NFTs. Please don't bring that cancer here.

Really? how is it cancer?

i have the market telling me that a ridiculous minecraft clone's NFT is worth $13,000 (when i bought it in feb for around $800)

People are frothing at the mouth to play a minecraft clone!

Also, the suggestion i made would make it not be mandatory for it to be nft wallets... it would be opt in. If the game blew up due to the nft crowd, you could always split servers (so that way non-crypto folks could still keep paying cash and playing the game with each other; and the crypto folks could either make millions after paying some cash or just play the game after paying some crypto cash)

#271 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,698 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 02 January 2022 - 11:52 AM

View PostNotrich, on 01 January 2022 - 04:42 PM, said:

Really? how is it cancer?
To put it simply, it's a scam. The bubble just didn't burst yet.

#272 Uller Phrost

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 73 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 02 January 2022 - 03:06 PM

Monetization Idea: Add Steam bundles to promote game though increased presence and Revenue from Steam. Drone bundles and Artillery strike bundles for the CoD kiddies. Add some iconic Med weight mech bundles to Steam.

How about grey death, Rough rider, ELH Drop ship bundles. Use this for game promoting

#273 Stargazzer811

• PipPipPip
  • The Moonwalker
  • The Moonwalker
  • 97 posts
  • LocationAn experimental SLDF McKenna class Battleship, waiting for Clan Nova Cat to return to the Inner Sphere in 3160

Posted 02 January 2022 - 04:58 PM

In this thread, lets discuss ideas for updating or adding to our current monetization model in MechWarrior Online, such as:
  • New Player Packs
  • New Items (Metallic Patterns, Custom UI Colors, Voice Packs, Sound Packs, Laser Color Customization, MechLab Customization, Global Patterns)

I am all for Custom UI and Laser Colors as well as new paint types (metallic, flat). Mainly because I'd love to make the IS HUD something other then Amber and would very much love to change the Clan Medium laser color to green and reset the Heavy Laser colors to their canon colors. Even if its purely client side, that would be fine with me.

Interested in what mechlab customization might be. I'm half and half on everything else.

Edited by Avalon91211, 10 January 2022 - 05:31 PM.

#274 BeCause

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 January 2022 - 07:56 PM

I want two things.

1. I want to buy as many copies of the Comp 2021 warhorn as I have mechs.
2. I want to make my mechs gold, like the first omni release.

#275 mytilus edulis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 16 January 2022 - 02:43 PM

Improved UI performance would be huge. It's a 20% performance hit with the HUD enabled.

#276 SharDar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 148 posts

Posted 18 January 2022 - 06:22 PM

I'd provide a subscription that gives you access to all mechs, weapons, colors, decals, bolt-ons, etc. Subscriptions are a proven means to build a regular income stream for a company. This is NOT "pay to win" since all of these are available for MC or C bills anyway--well, not any more pay to win than normal. It just means that I can try out lots of stuff and see what I like. If the subscription ends, the things I have added using the subscription go away. Mechs and items I have purchased with MC or C bills are retained.

#277 Trepmal

• Pip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 12:40 AM

View PostNotrich, on 01 January 2022 - 04:42 PM, said:

i have the market telling me that a ridiculous minecraft clone's NFT is worth $13,000 (when i bought it in feb for around $800)

People are frothing at the mouth to play a minecraft clone!

They don't want to play the minecraft clone, they want the status associated with the purchase. it's the same reason rich people buy anything they don't plan to use; to show off and feel superior. The fact you relate crypto and NFTs exclusively through USD values shows exactly why they shouldn't be included, they have no intrinsic value or contribution to the game. If the value of either crashes PGI spent time and effort to include worthless garbage in their game.

On top of that they're TERRIBLE for the environment.

#278 13Tradesman

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 April 2022 - 04:51 PM

While I am glad the roadmap is now getting some love, I think that perhaps going forward the best way to go about matching monetization to game improvements may be to add free straw polls (weekly/monthly) to the front page of the website followed by crowdfunding. The polls would ask which features/mechs/maps etc. that the community wants to see that PGI also believes is viable given their available resources. These could change on a weekly/monthly basis. A time frame would be shown to give players a rough idea of when these changes would be implemented. After voting the user is shown a relevant crowdfunding campaign for various features and improvements, along with the option to participate in other campaigns... as an example let's say each campaign lasted two months with a $20 per entry fee with a total goal of between $10,000- $20,000 depending on what is on offer. Those who enter are offered some freebies...in-game extras (warhorns/MC/Decals/etc.) as thanks for participating and only once the goal is reached will the money be charged. If the campaign does not reach at least 85-90% of the goal...the money will be refunded back to the participants. Once the threshold for the campaign is met the feature/improvement should be added within a reasonable time frame (as listed).

That way folks can vote with their wallets for the features/things they want to see that are feasible/viable. This will increase community engagement...and should give developers some incentive to focus time on the game.

Think about the concept...the exact details could be changed in a number of different ways...ultimately this should better align the incentives with development. New mech packs, bolt-ons and cosmetics are ok...but frankly they don't interest me as much as seeing new game features/improvements, new maps, or new progression systems/achievement systems.

#279 jesue

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 22 April 2022 - 03:22 AM

I just realized the
existence of new
packs on steam and
it was by chance .
Thank you anyway .
It is nice to know that
objetives are met .
Thanks for caring
about the players .

#280 Rainbow Danger

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 2 posts
  • Locationdublin

Posted 22 April 2022 - 05:06 AM

• New Player Packs

hmmmm maybe now hear me out.....stop nickle and dimming the already small player base for stuff that should by all rights be simple customize settings, maybe add more decals both to the game and the caches.... or hell maybe stop firing the staff that actually makes the content and not ask the community what they should give you cash for, thats just a thought though not like the gold mech part 2 platinum boogaloo didn't fish you guys out a bunch of extra cash....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users