I am for IS Omnis. The ones I want are, in order:
  • Raptor - 25 ton chicken-leg box bristling with guns
  • Blackhawk-KU - literally a Nova
  • Blackjack Omni - sm0l Jager
  • Men Shen - uber Raven
  • Sunder - squishy fast-ish phallic Assault, kinda bad but meme-worthy
  • Templar - literally a Battlemaster
  • Avatar - see Sunder, but lighter and smaller and with chicken legs
As far as 'Mech scaling goes, some need to be made smaller to be viable. Good candidates for this are most of the 35 ton Lights (which also need some agility back). The Marauder was also a better 'Mech when it was smaller and more agile. The Marauder II, also way too big.

Now, if you'll allow me a moment to focus on one 'Mech in particular that gives me sadness: the Nightstar. The Nightstar is a perfect storm of problems:
  • Too big - this 'Mech is absolutely gigantic
  • Horrendous hitboxes - the big ear vents and the little pod on top create bullet-magnets unnecessarily; all three of those pieces are missile pods that should be variable-geo like on the Mad Cat Mk. II. The ear geo are missile pods only available on the Wolf Phoenix variant and the top pod is a missile hardpoint only on the 9P variant
  • Hardpoints focused in limited-use sections - too many of its weapons are in head and CT, which are not particularly useful to IS on account of the guns that would justify a 95 ton 'Mech requiring more than one or two slots. This is compounded by the unfortunate combination of both lower arm and hand actuators that similarly preclude the use of Assault-worthy firepower in the arms and can even get in the way of having enough ammo for the few good loadouts it can manage.
  • Poor convergence - those arms could stand to be pulled inward a little bit; it's way too easy to accidentally shoot a wall or a team-mate because of how far apart they are and trying to use projectile weapons against moving targets forces the player to stagger-fire left-right or miss, putting them at a huge disadvantage
  • Low agility - the size and geo already make peaking a bad proposition, but being sluggish to accel/decel just murders it.

#22 Toque88

Rookie

• Staff Sergeant
  • Staff Sergeant
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 10:22 PM

Fresh ideas?
1. What about No lethal weapons that cause adverse effects?
2. Add the ability to change at least one hard point to on every mech to any type.
3. Add new engines that add awesome Quirks to a mech, but overheat or stall during matches.
4. Add one time use Jump jets that every mech can use for one or two slots.
5. Add a restricted guidance envelope to SRM's and MRM, or stop call them missiles if the behave just like Rockets!
6. Add more quirks to the guidance computers that make them an important necessity on the battlefield.
7. Add PPC EMP effects that disrupt hud and degrade engine performance.
8. Add Inferno SRM's
9. Drop ships should drop crates that all for first mech that touches them to reload, coolant, Arty, air strike and Drone.

#23 SoulRcannon

• PipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 82 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 10:28 PM

+1 to any talk of revising XL engine mechanics (i'm in favour of making IS XL's behave like LFE/cXL do now then reducing penalties on ST loss for LFE/cXL to heatcap, speed and dissipation by between 1/3 and half), new agility passes to restore what was lost with desync (but not caused by desync itself) and scaling down mechs (everything >25 tons would likely need assessing, 35tonners and barns like the Black Knight stick out in particular).

A Weapon System pass sounds interesting. Could that mean a ATM velocity nerf? Uncoupling LPPC/LG from the Peep/Gauss HSL Group and giving it its own group(s)? Buffing SPL/cSPL up a bit more to parity with other systems? Reducing durations of clan pulse lasers if cooldown is increased to match current cycle rate? Could be fun...

When it comes to quirks, you guys at PGI like looking at your lore builds and adding some HSL quirks along those lines, and that wasn't a bad thing. Stuff like a +1 ERLL HSL quirk on a SNV-1, +2 ERML HSL on a Kodiak-1, why not? More usable niche chassis, more fun in the game - and on those lines bring back some of the quirks lost in the de-quirkening, please and thank you!

Mech chassis to bring in... There are Clan hits like the Conjurer, Urbie-IIC, Bane, Imp, Phoenix Hawk IIC, Firemoth and Grendel which should definitely be considered alongside chassis that could be included and loved in both MWO and MW5 now like the Wasp, Stinger, Valkyrie, Sentinel, Wyvern, Lancelot, Crusader, Guillotine, Flashman, Crockett, Longbow and the Devastator. So much to choose from...

Edit: Another thing on quirks, I'd love if my Centurions were the tanky zombie boys they're supposed to be :)

Edited by SoulRcannon, 17 November 2020 - 03:37 PM.

#24 tingod

• PipPipPip
  • Leutnant-General
  • Leutnant-General
  • 82 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 10:35 PM

i want to see the avatar omnimech.
what is about melee? i like the axman and hatchetman.

#25 Ballistic Panicmode

• PipPipPip
  • The Scattershot
  • 53 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 16 November 2020 - 10:39 PM

Personally, I would like to see the 3025 TRO (all versions) completed. 3050, of course, would only be a handful of mechs behind that. I know quads are probably a technical headache, but they might provide a unique enough experience to make the effort worthwhile.

#26 Sir Helbrecht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 929 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 10:53 PM

1. significantly reduce the influence of the skill tree for fast light mechs or fix the hit reg on them. Or add a speed limit, say, no more than 120 km/h.
2. reduce the armor quirks of the IS mechs or add armor quirks of the all Clan mechs.
3. Add to armor quirks of the Clan slow omni light, omni medium mechs and omni heavy (NovaCat, NightGyr, SuS Spider, Timber ) (only hends, RT, LT).
4. Add to mobility quirks of the Clan slow omni light (Adder, Cougar, Kit fox)
5. bind quirks to CT and not to the kit (Clan)
6. remake ATM (1dmg per rocket from 0 to 120 meters) or completely rework, make a "clan MRM".

From Russia with love)

Edited by Sir Helbrecht, 16 November 2020 - 10:53 PM.

#27 thievingmagpi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 11:19 PM

Posted Image

#28 Bennesto

• PipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 82 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 11:43 PM

IS Omnimechs.
Buff Agility.
Buff Agility.
B U F F A G I L I T Y.

#29 DeadWeight18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Silent Killer
  • The Silent Killer
  • 263 posts
  • LocationLuxembourg

Posted 16 November 2020 - 11:52 PM

Change the way how Champion Mechs work. Instead of the +30% XP bonus let them generate GSP like .01 for every 100 XP gained in the Champion Mech. That would make them more appealing to use and to purchase.

#30 Dogstar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,722 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLondon

Posted 17 November 2020 - 12:43 AM

Personally I'd be all in for the Crusader!

Improving the tech balance, especially on engines would go a long way to improving the game. This has been discussed _a lot_ on the boards and a lot of good ideas have been put forward to improve balance and retain asymmetry in design between clan and is. There are all sorts of engine factors that can be used to balance - HP, number of heat sinks, number of internal heat sink slots (my personal fave), structure buffs, etc, etc.

However I disagree with those calling for agility buffs (especially on clan mechs), the engine desync was a good balance change and I've tried most mechs before and after and there's very little difference for the average player.

#31 My Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Major General
  • Major General
  • 475 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 12:54 AM

New Community-Driven 'Mech (Community input to new 'Mech chassis choice)

If you're going to make a 'community-driven mech' I think it should be a PGI original. PGI's original mechs designs have mostly been alright balance wise and top tier visually, it'd also represent something greater.

I'd be like a sign that PGI is commited to development by being creative and original, not just adding ez fan favourites for the whales to buy.

New 'Mech Variants

Break away from lore. Either through heroes with truly unique hardpoints+placement (for example the Nightstar) or variants that don't just keep to what the lore had on them, this also goes for ECM/JJs.

You'd be surprised how much you could shake up the game's meta just by a mech having ECM or JJs.

#32 Dessolock

Rookie

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 01:45 AM

Another vote for the Firemoth.
Can we have a Hollander II, please?

A second rescale is definitely in order, keeping in mind the size of modern equipment, like how an Abrams weighs 65 tons. An Atlas would weight around 250/300 tons with it's current size, I would think!

I'm not sure if this would be the correct thread, but what about the reintroduction of falling? I know it was removed in the early days because of the light lance knocking whatever they could onto their asses, while the rest of their team mopped up whatever it was before it could get back up. However, that could have easily been mitigated by making it to where lighter chassis can't knock over heavier. So a medium couldn't knock an assault on it's *** from a collision, but could actually be knocked down from the impact, assuming the sum of the velocities of both mechs was great enough. New quirks for different variants could also be introduced. I seem to recall a second time where falling was in the PTS, but I never heard any opinions, although the outcome was obvious.

If collisions are out of the question, then what about the way MW4 Vengeance handled falling, where collisions wouldn't do anything, but harder hitting weapons would? For example gauss or AC20 to knock down a heavy mech, dual AC20's to knock down an assault, AC10 to topple a medium, etc. It would also make for coordinated fire efforts that would be EPIC to say the least. It would significantly increase immersion, and give everybody something that would be expected from bipedal vehicles other than damage and heat.

Finally, how about the ability to crouch for increased crit chances, reduced missile spreads, and things of that nature? I can't count how many times where just being able to lose a little bit of height for a moment would've spared me some LRM damage. Again, quirks can come into play here as well

#33 My Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Major General
  • Major General
  • 475 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 01:50 AM

View PostDessolock, on 17 November 2020 - 01:45 AM, said:

keeping in mind the size of modern equipment

Good thing that in Battletech they don't use our technology huh?

#34 Seth Kalasa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 573 posts
  • LocationVirgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Terra

Posted 17 November 2020 - 03:42 AM

What is the reason of writing and reading the millon opinions about mech pack here? We can easily get tens of pages of nice pictures of mechs, it’s fun but useless,
There is a poll that gives clear picture of what we need
https://mwomercs.com...mech-pack-poll/

P.S. don’t do IS omnimechs, it will create balance issues to solve, that is not what we need in the current state!

#35 L1f3H4ck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 03:42 AM

View PostDaeron Katz, on 16 November 2020 - 01:05 PM, said:

In this thread, lets discuss ideas for updating or adding to our current mechs and how they work in MechWarrior Online, such as:
  • Rescale 'Mechs (for fun and role vs volumetric)
  • Fix Mech Mobility (Desync)

Maybe there should have been a separate thread for mech suggestions, as existing mech issues seem different and actually more important.

Yes, re-sync engines please, especially in the current environment, mobility is key, and a lot of mechs have become death traps.

Yes, some mechs have been severely nerfed by the rescale, Firestarter and Jenner come to mind immediately.

#36 evil kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 143 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 03:55 AM

wanna throw in my vote for is omnis and isxl getting the st penalty removed

dont care too much about the heat penalty beyond that.

other things d like to see....
atlas2 as a hero mech (kerenskys mech)
deimos
penetrator
crusader
urbie2c (but instead of its own varient, its a hero mech)
cerberus
howler
longbow
hollander
anubis

#37 il1il

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 03:55 AM

Scale
A mechs volume would not necessarily be proportional to its weight
But if they were in the way animals have similar density a 2 year old is 1/2 the height it will be as an adult but 1/5 the weight
i have done a scale comparison to the environment and humans in game and the large mechs are far too tall in that case,
as well certain mediums like the griffin and shadowhalk are as tall as the under arm of the atlas and taller than the cataphrac.. while the flea is the size of an atlases foot and weighs 1/5 the amount.
I understand that volume seems like a fair starting point, the games mechanics mostly mean that what ever SQUARE area of the front and back of the mech will be your weakness as the side torso damage soaking is a real thing. and arms seem to throw off the scale for purely aesthetic purposes where the arms are made stylistically different for higher volume. and end up being shields void of equipment while reducing the "scale".

Engines
The IS xl engine has too harsh a penalty for most mechs the clan is the same weight and functions like the is light
if the xl engine ended up sharing structure between ct and the side torso it would be ore viable with more builds. Although that may increase the power of the builds that currently use xl especially commando.

The heat penalty on light is engines can be absolutely crippling a reduction seems to be in order to me.

The biggest engines seem to never make it into the assaults people are claiming that they need to go faster... but I submit large engines gain too much weight from 300 - 400 to be viable in most builds.

#38 hardenum

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 04:04 AM

Omen Posted Image i know i know, the timeline....
Posted Image

Edited by hardenum, 17 November 2020 - 04:09 AM.

#39 KRZZPFFF

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 04:11 AM

Mechs I would love to see in the future:
- Hauptmann
- Templar
- Sunder

Apart from that I do agree with some others that with a fixed engine we need a solution where a mech can not be killed by just loosing one side torso because very few people would play them. Also I agree that making mechs more unique by giving them more distinctive quirks would be interesting.

Thank you :-)

#40 AnAnachronismAlive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 417 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 04:29 AM

#New Mechs --- (personally estimated mid term)
Don't wanna **** on the dreamcake here, but IMHO second guessing / arguing about what new mech would propably sell best and why - like pleasing the biggest amount of the playerbase because of lore, stories, looks, loadouts, hard-points and/or other factors making it unique - is likely going to produce far more constructive results for the playerbase's toystore and PGI's wallet. We gotta try to create a win-win-situation here catering both sides ...

IMHO - might be wrong though - some iconic unseen are likely goin to create the most revenue for now.

#Quirk overhaul --- (personally estimated short- to mid term)
Agree that some sort of overhauled quirks / quirk-system to add variety/viability in between variants is a central (but HUGE) undertaking to adress.

#(Interesting)New Hero-Pack (of existing mechs) --- (personally estimated short term)
Could be a short-term solution to add some toys to our playground and create low-cost-revenue without too much of a hassle for PGI. Would even imply to create some steam-packs again, since I know a lot of folks being defensive about third party / credit card payments via game websites. "OneStop-OneShop principle kinda applies to digital markets too.

#Re-scale --- (personally estimated mid- to long term)
Unsure 'bout this part tbh. Main issue I have with the current sizes is some lights being able to ankle-bite some assaults without being in fear of retaliation (if that is even the case and it is about not my inability to move or a min-max unwillingness to carry defensive arm weapons). Above this point I simply can not tell for sure, if a re-scale will add that much joy and the ressources needed would not be of better use elsewhere.

Edited by AnAnachronismAlive, 17 November 2020 - 05:26 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users