2021 mechs

682 replies to this topic

#621 tingod

• PipPipPip
  • Leutnant-General
  • Leutnant-General
  • 82 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 04:20 AM

could we get "Anti-Personnel Pod (A-Pod)" against light mechs? if you sit in an assultmech with no weapons in your arms, it would be good to have something against light mechs that pee on your leg ...

#622 Duke Falcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 878 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 23 December 2021 - 01:17 AM

New mechs? While the answer would: No that and that and that, bla-bla-bla-blaaaa...
Really? Many mechs could be done in part times because - hey and hello! - they use interchangeable parts or designed to be parts of series more-or-less compatible with each others. Just a quick hint to dismiss the oftentime repeated tenet U read just above:
Posted Image
Viking and Lupus.
Wait, what?!

Yes. Viking is a swiss knife because it has IS and clan version, differ in the armament and some minor systems but looks identical (well, give them different paint-areas and done). It could be done from existing parts (albeit the Stalker's cockpit may would better than the Nightstar's). Legit? Absolutely.
Lupus? The base of Hellfire? Alter the Hellfire, add LRMs on the shoulders and done. Exactly like this. Legit? Undisputedly...
How long it took to make these? About 1/10 or 1/5 time to make a new chassis from scratch? Yepp. The truth is that an online BT version should be trully good and legit if players could choose and play their favourite mechs. Be that the Kingfisher or the Hoplite or the Mackie or the Shrike or the whatever. Quadrupeds may have some troubles but since they usually have no arms, well, the front legs could be treathed as arms and done. Turrets? Use them CT mounted, target trackers like AMS or something.

So, yeah, more mechs because IF MWO2 would ever be done it will be the VERY BASIC to have all currently included mechs provided as the base THEN add new ones. Or there would be no real reason for a v2.0...

#623 Ghengis Cohen

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 58 posts
  • LocationThe Periphery

Posted 24 December 2021 - 08:16 AM

Any 20 ton mech with massive armor quirks and a couple dozen hardpoints. Flea IIC? Posted Image

#624 Dresari Iain

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 31 posts
  • LocationStranded on the sands of Bone-Norman

Posted 01 January 2022 - 09:29 AM

Alright, I know this has little to do with MWO, but I REALLY wanted to say to PGI how impressed I am with the beauty that MW5 ended up being. It's one heck of an awesome game, and you guys freaking nailed it! :D

Love all this content and you have the support of Battletech fans like me for sure!

So thanks again for all that pretty impressive work you've done, the results are freaking stunning.

Love both MW5 and MWO, they go hand in hand and they freaking rock! ^^

#625 Stargazzer811

• PipPipPip
  • The Moonwalker
  • The Moonwalker
  • 97 posts
  • LocationAn experimental SLDF McKenna class Battleship, waiting for Clan Nova Cat to return to the Inner Sphere in 3160

Posted 02 January 2022 - 05:05 PM

View PostC337Skymaster, on 28 October 2021 - 05:25 AM, said:

Summoner needs the -G variant: 3x missile in each torso with an energy hardpoint in the CT.

Strangly, I can agree with you on this.

#626 James Nostra

• PipPip
  • Warrior - Point 4
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 January 2022 - 06:00 PM

I just want the other IIC variants such as the Griffin, Shadow Hawk, Phoenix Hawk, Clint, and Locust.

As well as the Stone Rhino (both versions), Bane/Kraken, Grendel/Mongrel, Crossbow (Clan), Fire Falcon, Battle Cobra. All would be nice.

Especially, the Fire Falcon and Locust. We desperately need more Lights for the Clans. Hell, give us the Hellion.

#627 Hexidecimark

• Pip
  • The Aggressor
  • The Aggressor
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 January 2022 - 09:32 PM

I just want to put a HAG on my Stone Rhino.

Thunderbolt missiles would be nice if possible (they are the premiere solaris gun)- we've seen JSON edits of Gauss can replicate HAG maddeningly well, though.

#628 tingod

• PipPipPip
  • Leutnant-General
  • Leutnant-General
  • 82 posts

Posted 03 January 2022 - 04:19 AM

The Hauptmann would be nice. (and a quadruped)...

#629 James Nostra

• PipPip
  • Warrior - Point 4
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 January 2022 - 12:22 PM

View Posttingod, on 03 January 2022 - 04:19 AM, said:

The Hauptmann would be nice. (and a quadruped)...

Aff, my brother read your post, And he agrees with you that the Hauptman would be a great addition to the game.

As for myself, I failed to mention one other Clan Assault that would be a nice addition: Kingfisher

#630 Bandit Hadron

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 January 2022 - 03:56 PM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 16 November 2020 - 04:54 PM, said:

New Community-Driven 'Mech

Spoiler

I would push for the Bull Shark. It's work is mostly done, it's already in HBS Battletech. It's less work for PGI.

IS Omnimechs / Engine Discussion

XL engine needs to be survivable if we are to push fixed IS XL engine, even if it's just for the Omnis. People can survive 65 KPH on a BJ sure, I agree. But it'll be basically like Urbie effectively like a medium mech, the BJ Omni would basically be a small Heavy mech to compensate anyways.

I would legit pay good money for the Bullshark, hell yes!

#631 Trepmal

• Pip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 12:39 AM

• New Community-Driven 'Mech

I'm really in favor of the Stone Rhino being added. I'd just like more clan battlemechs in general. Plus when it comes to clan assault, they're kind of lacking compared to IS right now. (11 Clan to 18 IS)

I'd also like any quad mechs to be added, if at all possible.

I'd be pretty excited for any new mechs if I'm being honest, but these are the other bipedal mechs I'd personally like to play with. In each category they are ordered from most to least interesting, but I'd be pretty excited for any of them.

IS Light: Hollander, Red Shift, Arctic Fox, Venom
IS Medium: Komodo, Wraith
IS Heavy: Yeoman, Falconer
IS Assault: Imp(because who doesn't want a 100t urbie) Longbow, Vanquisher, Viking, Albatross, Sagittaire
Clan Light: Solitaire, Urbanmech IIC, Firemoth, Locust IIC, Hellion
Clan Medium: Pouncer, Lobo, Rabid Coyote
Clan Heavy: Glass Spider, Predator
Clan Assault: Stone Rhino, Blood Kite, Bull Shark, Bane, Phoenix Hawk IIC, Jupiter
  • New 'Mech Variants

I know it's a lot to ask, but I very much want more mechs than variants. Most of the mechs I play already have a lot of options to play around with.
  • Rescale 'Mechs (for fun and role vs volumetric)

Make Jenner IIC slightly smaller again, or make the side of it's giant protruding nose count as ST like most other mechs of similar shape.

Make most assaults just a tiny bit smaller, like 5%. They're too easy to core right now and it makes anything less than the most heavily armored CT hard to play around right now.
  • Fix Mech Mobility (Desync)

I think this has been working pretty well recently.
  • Update Bolt-Ons (Stay Attached)

I'm not particularly invested in bolt-ons staying on or falling off, but if you made it so they don't show up in heat or night vision it might balance them a bit more.
  • Quirks / Set of 8's for Under Performers

Grasshopper: This mech just needs something to make jump-jets focus viable. Maybe something similar to Vapor Eagle quirks.
Cicada: Very bad mech, please help it.
Ice Ferret: Clan Cicada Fridge. Also very bad mech, also needs a lot of help.
Uziel: With more ST armor and structure quirks it'd see more play.
Griffin: Please give it some missile love. All of them have that big target on their shoulder but it just makes them vulnerable.
Summoner: This thing needs the same treatment as the griffin. I only have 1 set of 8 and it's the one without a giant shoulder target screaming "shoot me"
Jagermech: replace machine gun quirks with anything useful in heavy. LB, AC, UAC, even RAC quirks. All would be acceptable.
  • Armor Balance for Arm Weapon-Only 'Mechs (Jenner, Jagermech, Rifleman)

The benefit of arm-only mechs is having a much larger cone to firing without needing to torso or body twist. Yes, in the current meta they're more vulnerable, but if you need that awkward firing line they're nice to have. If there was an armor balance for this, I don't think it should be much. Alternatively, make it a toggle either somewhere in the upgrades section, or even in each arm and make it cost c-bills to add fixed slots that add armor. On some mechs I'd be willing to trade an actuator for extra armor and I don't think that'd be unbalanced in most cases.
  • Weapon Balance Pass

RAC-5 Spin up is too long for it to be useful in 95% of fights. I've tried extensively to make them work but that long delay just makes them a huge disadvantage for something that both makes a ton of heat and requires a lot of face time. The number of disadvantages on them is massive compared to the RAC-2, they even JAM faster making them less reliable for their face-timing job. I've seen people try spinning them up before going into a fight but if even one shot misfires early that early heat gen is hard to deal with.
  • IS Omnimechs / Engine Discussion

Any IS Heavy or Assault with an XL, as rules work now, will not be played. Full stop. If the game is moving towards post-clan war anyway, IS did start developing XL engines that worked like cXLs. I don't see the harm in their addition to the game, especially if they were made fair through a heat penalty or something similar. It could even be a fourth engine type for IS to utilize. Not sure what to call it though.

Thank you for the opportunity to give feedback and list my favorite mechs with the hope of seeing them in game Posted Image

Edited by Trepmal, 04 January 2022 - 12:50 AM.

#632 C337Skymaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 06 January 2022 - 07:57 PM

One thing that's clicked for me, lately: it's often said that "lights are the least played 'mechs in the game", but if every single 'mech was played equally, lights would still be "least played" because we have the least of them, by far. We should start with alternate options in weight classes that have none (Clan 20 tonners, 25 tonners on both sides, etc) and work our way out from there.

From the profile page, filtered for "standard" to eliminate special duplicates:
Lights: 91
Mediums: 140
Heavies: 132
Assaults: 144

#633 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 06 January 2022 - 08:10 PM

View PostTrepmal, on 04 January 2022 - 12:39 AM, said:

• New Community-Driven 'Mech
Clan Assault: Stone Rhino, Blood Kite, Bull Shark, Bane, Phoenix Hawk IIC, Jupiter

Turkina. Can't forget about the Turkina. Posted Image Not to mention it's another Clan 95 tonner, and that weight class is sparse to begin with, on top of only having a single Clan option at the moment.

• Fix Mech Mobility (Desync)
I think this has been working pretty well recently.

This has been better since the Cauldron finally addressed it, but I still think undoing Desync would be the best option. The only 'mech I felt that benefited from that was the stock 60 Urbie. Everything else felt like it got hit with an anchor.

• Armor Balance for Arm Weapon-Only 'Mechs (Jenner, Jagermech, Rifleman)
The benefit of arm-only mechs is having a much larger cone to firing without needing to torso or body twist. Yes, in the current meta they're more vulnerable, but if you need that awkward firing line they're nice to have. If there was an armor balance for this, I don't think it should be much. Alternatively, make it a toggle either somewhere in the upgrades section, or even in each arm and make it cost c-bills to add fixed slots that add armor. On some mechs I'd be willing to trade an actuator for extra armor and I don't think that'd be unbalanced in most cases.

So the tech base and record sheets have shields, in addition to the melee weapons, which occupy crits and tonnage, and which add armor to the arms. Your suggestion feels exactly like Shields as already defined, and already modeled as a Bolt-On, even. It shouldn't be too much trouble to create the crit/tonnage coding and just attach the bolt on graphics to that equipment model.

Just adding my two cents in a couple places. Posted Image

Edited by C337Skymaster, 06 January 2022 - 08:12 PM.

#634 Hawk819

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,606 posts
  • Location666 Werewolf Lane. Transylvania, Romania Ph#: Transylvania 6-5000

Posted 09 January 2022 - 12:55 PM

View PostC337Skymaster, on 06 January 2022 - 08:10 PM, said:

Turkina. Can't forget about the Turkina. Posted Image Not to mention it's another Clan 95 tonner, and that weight class is sparse to begin with, on top of only having a single Clan option at the moment.

True that. We surely need another 90 and a 95 ton Clan `Mech respectfully.

#635 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 10 January 2022 - 02:52 PM

View PostHawk819, on 09 January 2022 - 12:55 PM, said:

True that. We surely need another 90 and a 95 ton Clan `Mech respectfully.

So 90 tonners are the only weight class where Clan options outnumber IS options:
Blood Asp
Highlander IIC
Mad Cat Mk II
Supernova
(Though we could definitely use the Kingfisher)

vs

Cyclops
Highlander
Mauler
(Though everyone wants to add the Sunder. The Emperor wouldn't be a bad fit, either, except that it's mostly done by the Mauler hero, at this point: adding arm ballistics).

95's are rather under-represented, although if you look through Sarna, there aren't that many to pick from in the first place.
Executioner
(And we'd like to add the Turkina)

vs

Banshee
Nightstar
(We'd like the Hauptmann)
And that fake one that PGI made up :)

#636 Hawk819

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 10 January 2022 - 10:40 PM

View PostC337Skymaster, on 10 January 2022 - 02:52 PM, said:

So 90 tonners are the only weight class where Clan options outnumber IS options:
Blood Asp
Highlander IIC
Mad Cat Mk II
Supernova
(Though we could definitely use the Kingfisher)

vs

Cyclops
Highlander
Mauler
(Though everyone wants to add the Sunder. The Emperor wouldn't be a bad fit, either, except that it's mostly done by the Mauler hero, at this point: adding arm ballistics).

95's are rather under-represented, although if you look through Sarna, there aren't that many to pick from in the first place.
Executioner
(And we'd like to add the Turkina)

vs

Banshee
Nightstar
(We'd like the Hauptmann)
And that fake one that PGI made up Posted Image

Good point.

#637 Big Jeka

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationUkraine, Zaporozhye

Posted 11 January 2022 - 02:00 PM

Devastator

Pillager

#638 Hawk819

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 13 January 2022 - 05:08 PM

I wish I could have my namesake `Mech: Thunder Hawk TDK-7X. That'd be nice to have. I mean, who can beat 3 Gauss Rifles?!

#639 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,269 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 14 January 2022 - 04:24 AM

When I read this I do think most of you got it wrong...realy realy wrong.
Sure Daeron asked for new mechs to tease...he has to...but lets be realistic on this...the real question is what variants or hero mechs you can dream up for them to resell old stuff to generate income that:

--> ONLY use Weapons that are already in game
--> do not rely on functions that do not at all or only poorly work in MWO
--> do not rely on insane speeds
--> are based on chassis that do not completely suck in MWO because their general dynamics and geometry are fubar

Edited by The Basilisk, 14 January 2022 - 04:31 AM.

#640 Hawk819

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 14 January 2022 - 11:36 PM

Quite honestly, I don't think we'll get anything new added to the game. New Tech, or even new `Mechs.

However it doesn't hurt to ask.

Hell, I want the Firemoth for crying out. It took them over 6-7 years to release the damned Flea!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users