54 replies to this topic

#1 Darian DelFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 07 November 2020 - 08:27 PM

OK if PGI is serious about trying to make changes to the game that will help elevate it from the cesspool that it has become this is one area that can be easily changed and NEEDS to be changed. Below is a very short video of what I am talking about.

I was after a War Hammer pilot named Center Mass ( He's the one dropping from the cliff). I had taken my time and got where I wanted to get with 96% armor left. Within seconds I was down to 41% with one arm gone, the other one with 1 point left and both side torso's wide open. From an Arty strike that I had no idea was there.

This is the issue, there really is no warning they are coming, they are to easy to drop and there are simply to many available to drop in a single game.

My recommendations would be a MUCH LARGER visual clue that it is coming as well as audio. Like most other games out there, a large AE attack is prefaced with a large Red Circle or something. Audio was hell how about artillery sounds coming in, at least this could give folks a chance to bug out.

Simply put it is way to easy to do this and there is NO drawback at all... and if anyone states the price is the drawback I will snipe your arse ;ppp

#2 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 07 November 2020 - 08:30 PM

I'd rather they take it out and just give us Long-Toms and Arrow IVs. at least there's dedicated platforms that pay for these artilleries.

#3 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,071 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 07 November 2020 - 09:01 PM

You got lucky. xl st didn't blow. Probably didn't see the smoke. At least there can only be 24 strikes from a team per match so a grand total of 48 if every one had the nodes for the extra strike. I haven't been in a match where that many were used excluding cw/fw whatever the name is.

I don't have much problems with them as the red smoke seems to be amble time enough that even an atlas can crawl away without much damage. The best time to use a strike is when an enemy has powered down. You can have the smoke right on it and do a lot of damage. Looks like you mostly got caught between the shells or it would have taken out your mech from direct hit.

Edit: watched it again and you went from 99% to 66% to 43% so you did get a shell on part of your mech.

Edited by JediPanther, 07 November 2020 - 09:04 PM.

#4 Swamp Ass MkII

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 333 posts

Posted 07 November 2020 - 09:13 PM

Red smoke = run away!

#5 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 07 November 2020 - 09:30 PM

Instead of smoke on the ground, which is stupid and doesn't make sense, it should draw a prediction circle or rectangle on the radar. Friendly radar picks up incoming shells or strafing run, and sends you the info. Easy and makes sense. Then, if you get hit (and insta die as a light), it's your fault.

#6 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,440 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 07 November 2020 - 10:05 PM

I hate it when you're using Heat (Thermal) Vision, and you just cannot see the smoke "warning" from the artillery & air strikes.

I wish Heat (Thermal) Vision would indicate such a warning.

#7 Swamp Ass MkII

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 333 posts

Posted 07 November 2020 - 10:17 PM

View PostNightbird, on 07 November 2020 - 09:30 PM, said:

Instead of smoke on the ground, which is stupid and doesn't make sense, it should draw a prediction circle or rectangle on the radar. Friendly radar picks up incoming shells or strafing run, and sends you the info. Easy and makes sense. Then, if you get hit (and insta die as a light), it's your fault.

I like the idea. Can you imagine what would happen in the event of a miss click and dropping an airstrike on friendly team! Insta wipe!!! Yes, I did this earlier this evening, and hit for -490 points... Yeah, don't ask! It was BAD!!!

I would like the idea of being able to drop arties with out a visual for the enemy team. However, I think I like the idea of being able to see enemies arty's inbound. Maybe use something in the sensor tree to detect incoming arty's? That would make sense I thinks...

#8 Squiggy McPew

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 755 posts

Posted 08 November 2020 - 12:27 AM

Strikes add in tactical depth by forcing a mass of mechs out of a dug in position or allowing stealthy mechs to drop strikes behind a mass of enemies so they don't notice the smoke. All my lights run two max bonus strikes.

#9 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,914 posts

Posted 08 November 2020 - 12:31 AM

View PostSwamp *** MkII, on 07 November 2020 - 10:17 PM, said:

I like the idea. Can you imagine what would happen in the event of a miss click and dropping an airstrike on friendly team! Insta wipe!!! Yes, I did this earlier this evening, and hit for -490 points... Yeah, don't ask! It was BAD!!!

Congratulations! Posted Image

#10 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,703 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 08 November 2020 - 01:09 AM

I would like the idea of being able to drop arties with out a visual for the enemy team.
The requirement to have LOS to target location and the visible smoke add interactivity (and some counterplay, IF the team is tactically aware enough to notice the smoke before the strike drops) to something that otherwise would amount to hunkering down in cover and spamming strikes from the battlegrid.

#11 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,914 posts

Posted 08 November 2020 - 01:35 AM

I would like the idea of being able to drop arties with out a visual for the enemy team.

So essentially BattleMechs instead of BattleShips?

Atlas - three grid squares
Griffin - two grid squares
Locust - one grid square

Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 Vorpal Puppy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 250 posts

Posted 08 November 2020 - 10:20 AM

My opinion is either get rid of them all together or make them not this magical support mechanism. Put your team's artillery battery at your Charlie lance spawn - if the enemy destroys it, no more arty strikes. Put that fighter at 1250m - let AC2s & erPPCs be able to shoot it down - if the fighter gets taken out, no more air strikes.

#13 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 08 November 2020 - 10:29 AM

It turns out that if you don't run around zoomed all the time, you actually have more peripheral vision and those smoke clouds become incredibly easy to see.

I know, unzooming is an advanced skill that most don't quite get down until long after they've made T1, but keep practicing. You'll get better at it.

Oh, and by the way, the red smoke is NOT a power up like most would have you believe.

#14 dario03

• Galaxy Commander
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 08 November 2020 - 10:53 AM

Should cut damage in half. Or reduce it by 75% but double the duration and shell count so it has more area denial.

#15 Swamp Ass MkII

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 333 posts

Posted 08 November 2020 - 11:06 AM

View Postmartian, on 08 November 2020 - 12:31 AM, said:

Congratulations! Posted Image

Thanks!

#16 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,914 posts

Posted 08 November 2020 - 11:33 AM

View PostVorpal Puppy, on 08 November 2020 - 10:20 AM, said:

My opinion is either get rid of them all together or make them not this magical support mechanism. Put your team's artillery battery at your Charlie lance spawn - if the enemy destroys it, no more arty strikes.

Simple game model, essentially a textured box. Perhaps the MW5 team could help with some design?

Something like this:
Posted Image

View PostVorpal Puppy, on 08 November 2020 - 10:20 AM, said:

Put that fighter at 1250m - let AC2s & erPPCs be able to shoot it down - if the fighter gets taken out, no more air strikes.

Yeah. I have always felt disappointed that I can't shoot down enemy fightercraft when piloting a 'Mech in MWO.

Hell, that's what 'Mechs such as Rifleman or JagerMech were designed to do.

#17 East Indy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,214 posts
  • LocationPacifica Training School, waiting for BakPhar shares to rise

Posted 08 November 2020 - 12:00 PM

Three minor changes to strikes:

1. Friendlies see a different (colorblind-friendly) colored smoke.
2. Damage is scaled for tonnage.
3. A player's second strike does only 50% damage.

#18 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 08 November 2020 - 02:50 PM

Only issue i see is that mech should have died if it got hit by a artillery strike.

#19 R5D4

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 197 posts
  • LocationAlberta

Posted 08 November 2020 - 05:30 PM

Biggest issue I have with it as currently implemented is that it is not applied evenly across the different classes. For a light mech it's crippling if not deadly for everyone else it's a minor inconvenience which you can clearly see by the reactions of the different classes when it's encountered.- Assault, Heavy, Medium stand there and take it, light mechs sh*t a brick and run for the hills.

Either the damage should be applied evenly to all classes or it should be removed imo.

If it does stick around (and is applied more fairly) then I would want to see the changes to alerting mechs as mentioned in this thread. As it is not being able to see the smoke in different vision modes is absurd and relying on PUGS to point out smoke on comms is a recipe for disappointment.

Edited by R5D4, 08 November 2020 - 05:43 PM.

#20 Darian DelFord

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 08 November 2020 - 06:14 PM

Lots of good ideas and sarcasm in here... I like it.

Arties and Airs were put into the game to get people moving. They would just clump and play pokey pokey. Strikes were put in to prevent this.

Not that it did anything to curb that behavior. Now they are just used as risk free damage. While I will agree the initial intent of the strikes were good, they actual implantation, as per PGI norms, is seriously flawed.

This is a relatively simple fix, I mean seriously it is, just have to figure out which way to go. The first thing I would recommend would be a maximum number of strikes per team per match. Its a start...

Please keep discussing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users