Absolutly Rediculous Tier Demotions

85 replies to this topic

#21 K O Z A K

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 11 January 2021 - 10:08 PM

View PostGeneral Solo, on 11 January 2021 - 09:56 PM, said:

I used to share many solo queue games with Browser and never complained, used to look forward to it.

But this group thing is a bit too much

And your answer makes sense if your on the seal clubbing end of the spectrum, dismissive of the issue

When it was introduced I was, and still am today against the idea of including 4man groups into solo qp. Yet here we are. Just saying in the context of todays qp, a matchmaker based on wlr makes most sense

#22 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 10:39 PM

I think we should look at the intended result
Make a logic flowchart to make that happen
and then program

#23 crazytimes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 12:29 AM

The two things these threads have in common is 1) full match score cards are never ever posted and 2) the individual is never quite as skilled as they could be.

I'm just curious in this case how many different people are playing the account.

#24 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 12 January 2021 - 03:32 AM

There is more to this game than Damage and Kills..

#25 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 12 January 2021 - 03:57 AM

People can turn off the home screen display for Tier ranking in the settings if it bothers them.

Edit:

I recommend people do this if you spend more time staring at the pixel changes of the tier bar after every match than you are playing the game.

Edited by Elizander, 12 January 2021 - 12:57 PM.

#26 SCRAPMETAL99

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 183 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 12:33 PM

https://imgur.com/Jz6HvKe

https://imgur.com/0gpLxrU

its stuff like this that gets me i mean i was top 3 dmg wise top 6 match score wise why did i break even

#27 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,418 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 12 January 2021 - 12:50 PM

PSR also looks at how you rank in all-24-players rankings.

A kill or two, along with more assists can bring your PSR up a bit more.
(Hint: even AMS destroying missiles counts as assist, even if you never hit that enemy with direct fire in the game).

#28 Vlad Ward

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 12:50 PM

View PostSCRAPMETAL99, on 12 January 2021 - 12:33 PM, said:

https://imgur.com/Jz6HvKe

https://imgur.com/0gpLxrU

its stuff like this that gets me i mean i was top 3 dmg wise top 6 match score wise why did i break even

The new formula for calculating PSR movement is as proposed by the community: W(X) - Y + Y( C(P/A) + (1-C)(P/M) )
The constants used for weighting will be set to X=5, Y=20 and C=0.6.

Where:
W - The win/loss variable used to determine direction of movement.
X - Win/Loss constant used in weighting average team PSR shift
Y - Matchscore constant used in weighting PSR shift compared to the value of X
P - Individual Pilot's Matchscore
A - Team's average Matchscore
C - Team's average Matchscore constant used in weighting calculated team effects
M - Average Matchscore across all 24 players in the match

So your PSR movement is 0(5) - 20 + 20 ( 0.6 ( 331 / 248 ) + ( 1 - 0.6 )( 331 / 260.25 ) ) = -1.31

The drop is small enough to be rounded to yellow bars in the UI.

Basically it's because you lost. You were right on the borderline. If you'd won with the same exact stats, you'd have seen a +3.69 PSR bump.

Edit to add: Also, despite your score technically being in the top 6, your score didn't significantly outpace the match average. The rest of the folks in the match did too well for you to stand out.

Edited by Vlad Ward, 12 January 2021 - 12:55 PM.

#29 SCRAPMETAL99

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 183 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 12:54 PM

View PostVlad Ward, on 12 January 2021 - 12:50 PM, said:

[/font]

So your PSR movement is 0(5) - 20 + 20 ( 0.6 ( 331 / 248 ) + ( 1 - 0.6 )( 331 / 260.25 ) ) = -1.31

The drop is small enough to be rounded to yellow bars in the UI.

Basically it's because you lost. If you'd won with the same exact stats, you'd have seen a +3.69 PSR bump.

so basically having the win is esential and doesnt matter even if you scored better than 3/4s of the players in the match

#30 Vlad Ward

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 12:57 PM

View PostSCRAPMETAL99, on 12 January 2021 - 12:54 PM, said:

so basically having the win is esential and doesnt matter even if you scored better than 3/4s of the players in the match

Not essential. It's a quantifiable bump, but you can gain PSR without the win. I edited in a bit more info, but the issue isn't that you didn't beat other players scores. You just didn't beat them by enough to make a difference in the calculation.

Edited by Vlad Ward, 12 January 2021 - 12:57 PM.

#31 SCRAPMETAL99

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 183 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 01:02 PM

View PostVlad Ward, on 12 January 2021 - 12:57 PM, said:

Not essential. It's a quantifiable bump, but you can gain PSR without the win. I edited in a bit more info, but the issue isn't that you didn't beat other players scores. You just didn't beat them by enough to make a difference in the calculation.

and there we havethe problem

#32 Vlad Ward

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 01:09 PM

View PostSCRAPMETAL99, on 12 January 2021 - 01:02 PM, said:

Agree to disagree I suppose.

Your match score was slightly above the match and team averages. Your team also lost. Those two things balanced out to about nil movement. Seems like it's working fine to me.

#33 crazytimes

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 01:17 PM

What problem exactly? Do you want the system adjusted so that you can continue to play at your current skill level, but against better opponents so you perform relatively worse? That's the common theme to these threads.

If you want to go up in tier because you see it as a must, then play better. Or just have fun.

#34 SCRAPMETAL99

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 183 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 01:18 PM

View PostVlad Ward, on 12 January 2021 - 01:09 PM, said:

Agree to disagree I suppose.

Your match score was slightly above the match and team averages. Your team also lost. Those two things balanced out to about nil movement. Seems like it's working fine to me.

https://imgur.com/XRyOMhi
https://imgur.com/rBNbPj6

compared to that the win/loss should not affect personal piloting skill and that is the point o f the post im fairly sure imean why does your personal pilot skill rating get affectedbecause of theteam performance

ok this match my psr shouldve gone down butdue to the team winning it wentup

Edited by SCRAPMETAL99, 12 January 2021 - 01:22 PM.

#35 Gagis

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 01:19 PM

Thats not a problem. Your history of wins and losses is the ultimate measure of your contribution to teams and the final measure of ability. The current system might not give as much weight to wins and losses as it should, in order to provide the matchmaker with the information it needs to create balance teams. But because players feel bad when they see a downward pointing arrow, the system couldn't be pushed towards more accuracy. Some players would get irrationally sad if the matchmaker was made better.

Killing, dying, doing damage, supporting the team, all that, are the small parts and a win or a loss is the result they all add up to. The luck component is exactly the same for everyone, and evens out rather quickly.

Edited by Gagis, 12 January 2021 - 01:21 PM.

#36 SCRAPMETAL99

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 183 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 01:19 PM

View Postcrazytimes, on 12 January 2021 - 01:17 PM, said:

What problem exactly? Do you want the system adjusted so that you can continue to play at your current skill level, but against better opponents so you perform relatively worse? That's the common theme to these threads.

If you want to go up in tier because you see it as a must, then play better. Or just have fun.

thats the pointi did better than 3/4s ofthe players in that game yet istayed the same because of basically team performace

#37 SCRAPMETAL99

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 183 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 01:25 PM

all good and fine fo rthose that are grouping up with fellow skilled players and boosting team performance but yh what has team performance got to do with your person piloting skill lvl

mark my words group up wiyth me and see how fast my psr go up if you are trully tier 1 players but in the end would that actually reflect my personal pilot skill lvl

Edited by SCRAPMETAL99, 12 January 2021 - 01:33 PM.

#38 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 01:58 PM

View PostMrFatBard, on 09 January 2021 - 10:05 PM, said:

so i try to do a good job but the game thinks i have to have my pilot rating lowered for whatever reason i am actually being demoted and its insane, i get 3 kills and a solo kill deal 467 damage and just because we lost the match and i suicided to get the kills my pilot rating is going down

could you guys please make it not rediculous to get promoted that would be great

also while im here uploading images to this forum would make explaining this easier as well

still loving this game Posted Image

Personally I like playing at the lower tiers, because there I can stand out as a superior player. The higher I go up the tiers, the worse I am compared to the competition.

Honestly, I never understood the whole love affair with skill based matchmaking because of this.

#39 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 12 January 2021 - 02:01 PM

View PostSCRAPMETAL99, on 12 January 2021 - 01:25 PM, said:

all good and fine fo rthose that are grouping up with fellow skilled players and boosting team performance but yh what has team performance got to do with your person piloting skill lvl

mark my words group up wiyth me and see how fast my psr go up if you are trully tier 1 players but in the end would that actually reflect my personal pilot skill lvl

Players have a certain chance of winning a drop, this is affected by a lot of variables, how good/bad the mech they're using is, whether it's skilled, how good they are at it, how tired they are, whether they are drunk/stoned, whether they are in a strong team, whether they are in a weak team. All this results in an average WLR. And that's what should be used to setup matches.

This is a reflection of the players actual average performance in game, not some ambiguous impossible to compare personal skill level. If you're a "great player" that performs poorly in drops for any of the above reasons that's what you should be rated at for MM purposes, on the flipside if you're not a very good player, yet perform fairly well because you always play skilled high end builds after 10 hours of sleep having knocked back a few red bulls you will probably perform better in games, and as such should be rated higher. Same thing with teams, if you're always playing in a strong 4man, it kind of doesn't matter for matchmaking what the individual skill of each player is. If they always play in a group that has a 7 WLR, the matchmaker should use that as a metric, not their individual skill, it's irrelevant, that's not how they play

#40 SCRAPMETAL99

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 183 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 02:12 PM

View PostHazeclaw, on 12 January 2021 - 02:01 PM, said:

Players have a certain chance of winning a drop, this is affected by a lot of variables, how good/bad the mech they're using is, whether it's skilled, how good they are at it, how tired they are, whether they are drunk/stoned, whether they are in a strong team, whether they are in a weak team. All this results in an average WLR. And that's what should be used to setup matches.

This is a reflection of the players actual average performance in game, not some ambiguous impossible to compare personal skill level. If you're a "great player" that performs poorly in drops for any of the above reasons that's what you should be rated at for MM purposes, on the flipside if you're not a very good player, yet perform fairly well because you always play skilled high end builds after 10 hours of sleep having knocked back a few red bulls you will probably perform better in games, and as such should be rated higher. Same thing with teams, if you're always playing in a strong 4man, it kind of doesn't matter for matchmaking what the individual skill of each player is. If they always play in a group that has a 7 WLR, the matchmaker should use that as a metric, not their individual skill, it's irrelevant, that's not how they play

lmao what ever buddy your missing the point entirely the point is psr should not be reflected on how the team performs but how the pilot themselves perform as forwin/loss ratio thatshould have no bearingas to match making ,match making should be made up out of the tier lvl each player is at

so what your saying is you can be an ace pilot but because you keep getting put with bad pilots/mechs your pilot skill ratingshould be low even though you are out performing 75% of the pilots on the field how do yuopu come tot hat conclusion

fair enough the higher your tier rating you get put with better moere skilled pilots and in turn put you into the bottom 25% ofthe pilots on the field if you arnt that skilled then your ratingwould go down hence your tier lvl would drop

Edited by SCRAPMETAL99, 12 January 2021 - 02:16 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users