Patch Notes - 1.4.237.0 - 17-Feb-2021

132 replies to this topic

#81 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 14 February 2021 - 03:23 PM

Right off the bat, I'm just gonna say that Crimson Strait dusk is the absolute worst time of day for that map.

Too dark to see, too bright to use nightvision.

Here's a wild idea...

Why not make the maps still have dynamic time of day change, but on a per-drop basis. You drop one time, it's high noon, and it doesn't change. Second time you drop its midnight, and it doesn't change..

Would still be fun, dynamic and realistic. Would not suck.

Edited by Vellron2005, 14 February 2021 - 03:24 PM.

#82 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 14 February 2021 - 10:13 PM

View PostLockheed_, on 14 February 2021 - 08:46 AM, said:

Imagine going to a restaurant and your food tastes like **** and the waiter tells you have to eat it anyway because you entered the restaurant. would you do that? I don't think so.

And you would rather spit on the waiter? Make a scene that prevents other people who enjoy the ****** food regardless?

View PostVellron2005, on 14 February 2021 - 03:23 PM, said:

Right off the bat, I'm just gonna say that Crimson Strait dusk is the absolute worst time of day for that map.

Here's a wild idea...

Why not make the maps still have dynamic time of day change, but on a per-drop basis. You drop one time, it's high noon, and it doesn't change. Second time you drop its midnight, and it doesn't change..

That's not dynamic, that random fixed time of day.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 14 February 2021 - 11:20 PM.

#83 Voice of Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 481 posts

Posted 14 February 2021 - 11:01 PM

View PostNukebirb, on 12 February 2021 - 10:19 PM, said:

why not give players a choice between mixed and solo-only queue?

I strongly doubt that it is in principle possible to implement this thing in MWO.
I think that such an approach in creating group matches is simply not possible. And if you think a little, you will most likely come to the same conclusion.
The fact is that a single 12 v 12 queue will always form faster than a 12 v 12 group queue. Even if all players in the MWO check the box that they agree to fall in solo and group queue, the group queue still risks being never formed - people will find battles in a 12 v 12 solo faster and will drop exactly in a 12 v 12 solo, therefore, with the simultaneous formation of teams in solo and group quick play, the group game simply will not have time to form - there will always be a lack of people, the matchmaker will constantly grab people into solo queue.

View Postcrazytimes, on 13 February 2021 - 04:46 PM, said:

You know what I feel might actually work- a combined queue for groups and solos, with any size groups, solos will only get matched against 1-4 manners, but groups of 3-12 can get matched against any size groups.

No need for seperate queues or modes, just the matchmaker gets tweaked. Shouldn't impact queue times for solos and small groups.

Are you confident that PGI can do this? No, not a bad idea. I just look at this idea, and the thought is spinning in my head: the PGI matchmaker elementary does not know how to select the same number of Assault Mechs for opponent teams...

View PostZortPointNarf, on 14 February 2021 - 10:17 AM, said:

(If you are getting lermed to death, ask yourself this: Did I take AMS? No?; well then its on you.)

Am I missing something in this game? Are single AMS effective enough against lurm rain? Have all the Mechs in the game been able to carry AMS? Or maybe all 'Mechs in the game can carry ECM?
With all due respect, I strongly disagree with you.
1) Even if each mech in the team carries one AMS (and this is simply not realistic, because not every mech in the game has an AMC / ECM), it is simply impossible to gather the entire team in one place for effective mutual protection of AMC (and ECM) because which is impossible.
2) It is much easier to arrange a concentrated lurm rain from 200 - 500 missiles. You name the targets in the chat and that's it.
3) And now great times have come for the lurm warriors. They can assemble a group only of lurm mechs. And they can also take the stealth-NARC Raven with you. Hallelujah! Praise to heavens (and PGI)!

#84 BrrtWarthog

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 February 2021 - 11:04 PM

View PostVellron2005, on 14 February 2021 - 03:23 PM, said:

Here's a wild idea...

I actually really like Crimson Strait in low-light. But that's a completely subjective personal preference. That aside, I 100% agree with this suggestion.

From what I read in the patch notes, the time of day changes rolling out with this patch are just a stop-gap so people don't keep experiencing the issue with their frame rates dying when the time of day changes during a match (River City for example). PGI will be revisiting time of day changes again in a future patch, they're just setting time of day for each map to a static time right now to prevent the frame rate drop issue. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I read in these patch notes

What I'd like to see regarding time of day is a more dynamic/procedural system, as follows:

Each map has multiple (but similar) options, randomly selected at game start -

- Game mode - Skirmish, Assault, etc.

- same as current, no change here

- Time of day - day, night, dusk (sun just above the horizon on one side of the map), dawn (sun just above the horizon on the opposite side of the map)

-EVERY map should have a day/night/low-light variant that is randomly selected at match start

- Weather - clear, light rain, heavy rain, light snow, heavy snow, dust storm, etc.

- map appropriate options (no snow on Tourmaline, for example)

- Currently, Viridian Bog "night" variant is more like a "dusk/dawn with rain" variant - there's significant weather effects, but otherwise visibility isn't like it's pitch black at the dead of night. I actually really like this map mode currently.

No dynamic changes to those conditions once the match starts though - again, the frame-rate dropping issue we currently have is annoying - but I would definitely like to see more variability within the current map set. I would love to see Tourmaline Desert on a rainy night, I would love to see Hibernal Rift just as the sun is setting - pick any map, and then the opposite time of day that we currently have on that map, and I'd love to see it. Variability in time of day and weather conditions, IMO, does make up for a limited number of maps in any game, at least to some degree.

If, based on what Matt is saying in the patch notes, time of day isn't directly hard-coded to the map but can be set independently, then I don't see how this could be difficult to achieve in a relatively short amount of time with minimal resources. Obviously varied weather conditions would be more time/resource consuming.

On a separate note: I fully respect that some people have an issue with bolt-ons falling off, I don't disagree with them on that at all - but with the state of the game where it is right now, I would MUCH rather have seen one or more changes that actually affect gameplay in place of the bolt-on change in this patch. I would rather have seen "Hey, we know it's not much, but we fixed the alpha lance spawn on Tourmaline." Just that one spawn change on that one map that could potentially have a MASSIVE impact on gameplay - I would rather have seen that than the bolt-on change, at least right now. I think gameplay issues need to be prioritized over all other issues on the current roadmap. Fixing spawns, fixing queues, weapon balance...those are the things that the majority of the current player base want fixed...not cosmetics. I think the priorities in the current roadmap, while - giving credit where it's due - aren't too far off, there are things further down the list that I'd like to see higher up.

Just my two cents.

Edited by BrrtWarthog, 14 February 2021 - 11:07 PM.

#85 Voice of Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 481 posts

Posted 14 February 2021 - 11:08 PM

Am I the only one having some problems with charging gauss rifles?
It seems to me that the level sound of charging two gauss rifles is somewhat insufficient.
Sometimes it happens that I do not hear that the gauss rifles are charged and I miss the moment when it is already necessary to release the mouse button to fire. As a result, a missed opportunity to fire, the enemy moved out of the aiming line or even disappeared behind cover, I have to recharging the gauss rifles (must read, stand under fire, rubbing my armor in vain). These problems are not uncommon with two gauss rifles. And I hardly use one gauss rifle at all, because the sound of a single gauss rifle is even harder to hear.
All these problems are especially complicated when I participate in an active firefight. The sounds of shots, explosions, impacts on armor, etc., significantly complicate the identification of the sound signal of a Gauss rifles charge.
Nobody else has the described difficulties?

P.S. Don't offer to look at the green indicator of the gauss charge - in a firefight I try to look at the sight and the target, and not at the small light away from the sight :)

#86 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,608 posts

Posted 15 February 2021 - 12:34 AM

View PostVoice of Kerensky, on 14 February 2021 - 11:08 PM, said:

P.S. Don't offer to look at the green indicator of the gauss charge - in a firefight I try to look at the sight and the target, and not at the small light away from the sight Posted Image

I always put the Gauss(es) in every weapon group. Thus i see a green Ring around the reticule when ready to fire. Works quite well!

#87 ZortPointNarf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 261 posts
  • LocationIsle of Man

Posted 15 February 2021 - 01:07 AM

View PostVoice of Kerensky, on 14 February 2021 - 11:08 PM, said:

Am I the only one having some problems with charging gauss rifles?
It seems to me that the level sound of charging two gauss rifles is somewhat insufficient.
Sometimes it happens that I do not hear that the gauss rifles are charged and I miss the moment when it is already necessary to release the mouse button to fire. As a result, a missed opportunity to fire, the enemy moved out of the aiming line or even disappeared behind cover, I have to recharging the gauss rifles (must read, stand under fire, rubbing my armor in vain). These problems are not uncommon with two gauss rifles. And I hardly use one gauss rifle at all, because the sound of a single gauss rifle is even harder to hear.
All these problems are especially complicated when I participate in an active firefight. The sounds of shots, explosions, impacts on armor, etc., significantly complicate the identification of the sound signal of a Gauss rifles charge.
Nobody else has the described difficulties?

P.S. Don't offer to look at the green indicator of the gauss charge - in a firefight I try to look at the sight and the target, and not at the small light away from the sight Posted Image

Same here, it should hold when fully charged. I am so bad at it, I rarely if ever use them.

#88 ZortPointNarf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 261 posts
  • LocationIsle of Man

Posted 15 February 2021 - 01:17 AM

View PostVoice of Kerensky, on 14 February 2021 - 11:01 PM, said:

<snip>

Am I missing something in this game? Are single AMS effective enough against lurm rain? Have all the Mechs in the game been able to carry AMS? Or maybe all 'Mechs in the game can carry ECM?
With all due respect, I strongly disagree with you.
1) Even if each mech in the team carries one AMS (and this is simply not realistic, because not every mech in the game has an AMC / ECM), it is simply impossible to gather the entire team in one place for effective mutual protection of AMC (and ECM) because which is impossible.
2) It is much easier to arrange a concentrated lurm rain from 200 - 500 missiles. You name the targets in the chat and that's it.
3) And now great times have come for the lurm warriors. They can assemble a group only of lurm mechs. And they can also take the stealth-NARC Raven with you. Hallelujah! Praise to heavens (and PGI)!

If mechs that can carry AMS, carry it; long range lerms become pretty much useless. If you sit in a hole and let them rain bloody murder on your head, then you are not closing the distance to brawling (Not saying it is applicable to you, just in principal).
Combined with as you mentioned ECM that reduces their ability to lock on lerms are not quite the killer; (millage may differ).
2,100 hours of mwo, and have only been lermed to death maybe 5 times. I have never seen 500 missile volleys, max I would recon would be 250 (not saying its impossible)
All of that being said, it sucks if the lerm gods open on your head and you are in an ani, crawling to the front.
For myself, running AMS on 90% of my assaults makes them fun to play.

#89 Ekson Valdez

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 15 February 2021 - 01:56 AM

View PostLockheed_, on 14 February 2021 - 08:46 AM, said:

Imagine going to a restaurant and your food tastes like **** and the waiter tells you have to eat it anyway because you entered the restaurant. would you do that? I don't think so.

Bad analogy here. Going into a restaurant is quite different to using an online service. You explicitly agreed not to purposefully disconnect even if you do not like the chosen map or mode. You can always retract your consent to the CoC, in which case PG will cease to offer you their service.

#90 GeorgePig

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 February 2021 - 03:35 AM

View PostEkson Valdez, on 15 February 2021 - 01:56 AM, said:

Bad analogy here. Going into a restaurant is quite different to using an online service. You explicitly agreed not to purposefully disconnect even if you do not like the chosen map or mode. You can always retract your consent to the CoC, in which case PG will cease to offer you their service.

Whilst a little colourful, the analogy does stand.

The issue is that eventually people's (paying customers) preferences and wishes change. While everyone taking part in MWO have an expectation as to what they would like, sometimes expectations have to be managed - a lot better!

The game has changed significantly from its inception, drop skill mixes have blended and not particularly in a good way; needful to keep the queues running, but not necessarily beneficial to the players depending on their expectations and experiences.

The CoC is based on the original concept, like everything else it needs to evolve to meet the needs of its customers and developer. Rather than penalise someone for not "wanting to eat in a restaurant because they no longer like the food", change the menu, look forward and be innovative. Without condoning the aspect of leaving the match just because of the map/environment condition, a possible solution to the issue raised could be the introduction of "Eject" option. This still leaves the empty mech open for farming - something that seems to be key to certain players, but the player would not be penalised. If there are noticeable numbers ejecting on certain maps/environments. PGI now has a tool to examine why that map/mode is not popular and can make changes to make it more attractive. For every player who uses the eject function, there could be an experience or C-Bill penalty that stacks over the day, for those being impacted by those leaving, a similar bonus could be applied to both teams as a compensatory reward. There are potential solutions and changes if PGI took time to look into them.

If you compare the CoC to the General Data Protection Regulations in Europe, one statement stands out as a perfect guideline - to paraphrase - consent should not be a prerequirement to access a service - that includes online services in particular where sites try to enforce cookies, tracking, use of service agreements and other metrics before the person even has chance to use the site (this can apply to repeated access of the same site or service). A perfect example of how systems change over time.

You cannot please everyone all the time, but you can go a long way to please most people most of the time if as a service provider, PGI accepts the challenge of change management and becomes more creative in enhancing the game experience to make people want to play, want to pay and keep population numbers up.

#91 Kodan Black

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 375 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts, USA

Posted 15 February 2021 - 06:48 AM

Please can you make OVERRIDE a preference. Just account-wide is fine. I always run with override on so having to hit it at the start of every single match is annoying. Thanks!

#92 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 15 February 2021 - 04:46 PM

Can we please get this forum section cleaned up and unpin old posts? Let's pin ones like these.

#93 Voice of Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 481 posts

Posted 15 February 2021 - 07:33 PM

View PostZortPointNarf, on 15 February 2021 - 01:17 AM, said:

2,100 hours of mwo, and have only been lermed to death maybe 5 times. I have never seen 500 missile volleys, max I would recon would be 250 (not saying its impossible)

I'm not talking specifically about you, your gaming experience or the maximum lurm load limit for one mech.
Look, PGI combined single and group queues. It is not uncommon for people to gather in LRM groups, for example:
- 3 x Nova Cats with 90 lrm = 270 missiles + NARC Raven;
- 4 x Nova Cats with 90 lrm = 360 missiles.
Do not forget that the team that this group belongs to will almost always have a random lurm player(s). Here's a salvo of over 400 missiles.
In this case, you can equip all the mechs in the enemy team of the AMS, they will do little to help because it is simply impossible to regroup all the mechs in one place for mutual protection.
And just facts (at least, I consider these to be facts):
- Multi-missiles mechs in the game are significantly more than multi-AMS;
- Not every mech in the game has AMS;
- The efficiency of a single AMS is close to zero;
- AMS eats up more tonnage and free space than bring is beneficial;
- Create a group of lrm mechs is much more profitable than create a group of multi-AMC mechs for many reasons.

With all due respect to you.

Edited by Voice of Kerensky, 16 February 2021 - 04:37 PM.

#94 ZortPointNarf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 261 posts
  • LocationIsle of Man

Posted 16 February 2021 - 12:17 AM

View PostVoice of Kerensky, on 15 February 2021 - 07:33 PM, said:

I'm not talking specifically about you, your gaming experience or the maximum lurm load limit for one mech.
Look, PGI combined single and group queues. It is not uncommon for people to gather in LRM groups, for example:
Do not forget that the team that this group belongs to will almost always have a random lurm player(s). Here's a salvo of over 400 missiles.
In this case, you can equip all the mechs in the enemy team of the AMS, they will do little to help because it is simply impossible to regroup all the mechs in one place for mutual protection.
And just facts (at least, I consider these to be facts):
- Multi-missiles mechs in the game are significantly more than multi-AMS;
- Not every mech in the game has AMS;
- The efficiency of a single AMS is close to zero;
- AMS eats up more tonnage and free space than bringht is beneficial;
- Create a group of lrm mechs is much more profitable than create a group of multi-AMC mechs for many reasons.

With all due respect to you.

I fully agree with the AMS mechs effectively costing you money, game score alone is not enough, they need to reward CB.
Now that you mention it, when I need to farm, I jump in my lerm heavy mechs, as they are a lot easier to farm with (just not always as enjoyable)

How often are you encountering (and the community at large) these big lerm groups? (I am not playing as much as I used to, but I have not run into a single group since December)

#95 TankBadger42

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 57 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 12:05 PM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 12 February 2021 - 02:31 PM, said:

If you are leaving early because of groups in quickplay please know we are looking to remove groups from the solo queue.

Please please don't make this change, being able to get group games with a bunch of my friends who don't take the game seriously is the only reason we still play. If it took longer to get a match and only put us up against other groups we would just have to sinc drop or give up on the game.

#96 Clay Endfield

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 172 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 12:53 PM

Not fond of the Group Play/Solo play combined que roleback. It improves match making speed, and truthfully, makes tge game more fun. All I really want is better spawn points and I'd rather see LRMs revisited (again) to punish individuals unwilling to establish their own locks; something like massively decreased missile velocity and increased missile spread for Targeting Data mooches. Perhaps even increasing targeting speed and improved targeting data retention against mechs actively firing LRMs.

#97 Kodan Black

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 375 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts, USA

Posted 16 February 2021 - 01:15 PM

View PostVoice of Kerensky, on 15 February 2021 - 07:33 PM, said:

Not gonna lie, my group sometimes does this when we get sick of being lurmed. Most of us rarely play lurms, but sometimes we roll 4 NCT-Bs with 360 lurms and bring the pain.

I think one issue that exists is that they are very easy weapons to use. Stay in cover and fire em -- thanks to lock you don't have to do much. This lends itself to people wanting to use them to contribute and get those big damage numbers but also makes it frustrating for the other team. Streaks are also lock on but short distance. ATMs are longer distance with lock but do not have the non-direct fire method. LRMs are unique and I wouldn't want them to be gone entirely, but I'm not sure what you change without making them non-viable.

#98 Flanking Boy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 129 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 16 February 2021 - 01:23 PM

View PostZortPointNarf, on 16 February 2021 - 12:17 AM, said:

I fully agree with the AMS mechs effectively costing you money, game score alone is not enough, they need to reward CB.
Now that you mention it, when I need to farm, I jump in my lerm heavy mechs, as they are a lot easier to farm with (just not always as enjoyable)

How often are you encountering (and the community at large) these big lerm groups? (I am not playing as much as I used to, but I have not run into a single group since December)

there comes a point in the game there farming does not matter anymore. when one have enough mech and money. special after they change the psr system.
now i think its to costly to get a new mech skillet up. so i constantly use the same 10 mech now out of my 210 mech.
but i do hope that they don't nerf the AMS, to often that you get kill by lrms shower.

#99 Kano111

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 91 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 16 February 2021 - 04:14 PM

This should help prolong the rough stage when you finish the 25 cadet games but aren't yet good enough to avoid the grind for every c-bill.

I recall it being pretty tough at the beginning.

#100 Enamillion89

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 04:31 PM

I didn't get ANY of the listed items for the update. :/ It said it would go retroactively to the older accounts as well?

Edited by Enamillion89, 16 February 2021 - 04:32 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users