71 replies to this topic

#21 Windschreiter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Gunsho-ni
  • Gunsho-ni
  • 215 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 10:37 PM

View PostNavid A1, on 04 May 2021 - 03:33 PM, said:

It's cool and all... but it's sad to see the flipped paper doll is still there.

Posted Image

The single reason I could not play MW5 for more than 6 hours due to motion sickness and headache.

It's even more unfortunate since it is the result of the most trivial bug you can imagine. literally a value being set to -1 instead of 1 by mistake.

And yes, this has been reported multiple times in the past year and a half.

I might just look at streams to see what has changed. No plan on playing or updating any mods for this.

Well this isn't a Bug - looking at a Mech would place its left leg on your right side, looking at its back puts the left leg back on the left side. Just like when looking at a Mini.

On topic: really looking forward to those changes! Might hop in again.

#22 Speedy Plysitkos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationMech Junkyard

Posted 04 May 2021 - 11:21 PM

It doesnt have online pvp. So its a pass for me.

#23 AncientRaig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 584 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 11:36 PM

View PostHawk819, on 04 May 2021 - 09:08 PM, said:

At least two of these weapons are in the canon: Chemical Lasers and the Supercharger are in the canon. Now all I ask is this: port them over to the MWO!

Superchargers are interesting because you can stack them with MASC, but if they fail they destroy the mech's engine instead of its legs. It'd be interesting to see how they'd balance it, or even make it work. CT damage when you go over the redline maybe? As for Chem lasers, not really sure why anyone would want them. They're Clantech lasers with the range and damage profile of IS standard lasers that require ammo. They're literally a downgrade on any unit that doesn't mount a fusion engine, which all mechs do.

Also, does anyone have clue what these "short burst lasers" are? Standard lasers and pulse lasers are already in the game, and they don't exist in the tabletop.

Edited by AncientRaig, 04 May 2021 - 11:41 PM.

#24 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,931 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 05 May 2021 - 12:12 AM

View PostWindschreiter, on 04 May 2021 - 10:37 PM, said:

Well this isn't a Bug - looking at a Mech would place its left leg on your right side, looking at its back puts the left leg back on the left side. Just like when looking at a Mini.

On topic: really looking forward to those changes! Might hop in again.

It is a bug. Based on the game source code.... the intention was to have it not flipped... but a hard data entry created this problem.

Also, the idea of a paper doll is self perception. Similar to the concept of looking into the mirror. Yes the reflection is "flipped", but looking at myself in the mirror, left side correspond to my left arm and right side to my right arm... the information is conveyed quickly and naturally... the direction corresponds to self perception in reality.

I'm not looking at my mech from outside... I'm in the mech and I'm expecting the paperdoll to match my self perception.

And I'm just ignoring the fact that this is an established concept in paperdoll design in almost any shooter game.... or we can just look at other MW games as a reference

Edited by Navid A1, 05 May 2021 - 12:14 AM.

#25 Kurb

• PipPip
  • Sergeant
  • Sergeant
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 May 2021 - 12:38 AM

Is there going to be some offer for people owning MW5 on EGS looking to migrate to Steam?

Also, has friendly AI improved since a year ago, when I last played, or should I be looking into AI mods? I remember restarting the final mission 5 times or so, because friendlies just kept doing completely unexpected things and getting us all killed.

Edited by Kurb, 05 May 2021 - 12:42 AM.

#26 Ch_R0me

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 609 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationIn DireStar with Heavy Naval PPC

Posted 05 May 2021 - 12:42 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 04 May 2021 - 04:51 PM, said:

(...)
And the compatibility with those that own the DLC? That means there's already the content installed in there, just locked out? Are you serious? Laughable.
(...)

I wouldn't be suprised if they "smuggle" the DLC content as a update for the base game. Paradox tend to do such thing for example with their EU4/Stellaris/HOI4/whaterever-extremely-overpriced-due-to-the-hellton-of-expensive-dlcs. Posted Image

But still, as a Ultimate Community Edition owner, I have a trace amount of hope for a one thing.

I hope that all the stuff done between the blatant launch and the upcoming release is worth it.

#27 crazytimes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 05 May 2021 - 01:33 AM

I look forward to the 75% off sale later this year.

#28 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,369 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 05 May 2021 - 03:35 AM

Don't know if MW5 had implemented this already, but you can simply disable friendly fire. Simple solution!
ie: Friendly fire cannot hurt you or your teammates (and vice versa).

View PostKurb, on 05 May 2021 - 12:38 AM, said:

Is there going to be some offer for people owning MW5 on EGS looking to migrate to Steam?

Also, has friendly AI improved since a year ago, when I last played, or should I be looking into AI mods? I remember restarting the final mission 5 times or so, because friendlies just kept doing completely unexpected things and getting us all killed.

#29 Lepestok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationNizhniy Tagil

Posted 05 May 2021 - 04:49 AM

What it is?

*Stream SRMs

#30 CycKath

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,574 posts
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 05 May 2021 - 04:53 AM

View PostNavid A1, on 05 May 2021 - 12:12 AM, said:

And I'm just ignoring the fact that this is an established concept in paperdoll design in almost any shooter game.... or we can just look at other MW games as a reference

Paper doll might have to be more generic then - as your example shows the front on view replicate that's 'Mech's front on appearance, with the thunderbolt's front on view with the cockpit placed towards the left.

#31 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 05 May 2021 - 04:56 AM

View PostLepestok, on 05 May 2021 - 04:49 AM, said:

What it is?

*Stream SRMs

Right now, MW5 has two types of LRMs. Standard and Stream LRMs. Standard fire in a tight cluster like we know from MWO, IS LRMs. Streamfire LRMs fire like MWO Clan LRMs. I suppose Stream SRMs do the same.

#32 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 05 May 2021 - 05:18 AM

View PostCh_R0me, on 05 May 2021 - 12:42 AM, said:

I hope that all the stuff done between the blatant launch and the upcoming release is worth it.

I won't hold my breath.

They probably haven't even done a mechlab separate from instant action, like what BattleTech did.

They can throw all the content they like, but the problem with MW5 itself it's just it's a glorified repetitive missions. Maps may change, it's procedurally generated, but you're still doing the same thing over and over. Campaign is basically just more complicated instant action with management system and **** story. There's little objective-based mission, it's just one punch-up after another and their solution is to merely throw a lot of enemies at you that it ends up a matter of durability, prompting you to just go heavier.

Compare that to MW4 Mercs, say what you want about it being technically inferior, but it has better story and is arguably more BattleTech. You had choices in ending that is affected by how you play, missions themselves though scripted feels less generic -- that you could be lured into a trap; there's stealth sections; you could save a lance and they would save you the next mission; you can help evacuees probono; play the other side of the war by backstab; fight the clans fair in a beach and earn a bondsman; Fight in the Solaris championships, etc.

Hell, lets compare that to HBS BattleTech, because lets face it, what people actually wanted is HBS BattleTech in first-person shooter form, and PGI barely achieved that In BT, you can at least upgrade your ship; there's story outside of the actual combat, your people talk to one another that makes them feel human, that they could get injured because they did stupid things, there's events in the ship like the first harvest in the hydroponics, that you could be held at gunpoint by pirates, a crewmember could tinker with a weapon and give you an upgraded weapon. All these small random events, written like a visual novel with choices, makes BattleTech feel more alive.

BattleTech achieved more and better story with mere text and portraits. MW5 only has Ryana and Farhad with terrible accent and a dip the uncanny valley, Spears that I fail to see the point of having a hologram that isn't even animated.

And they have the tenacity to ask for 50$, done so by paywalling basically hostaging content that is already installed within the game. Ain't buying it until it has lower price, 25$ for the base game and 15$ for the DLC -- and that is if Navid's mods get updated (I might try merctech).

Edited by The6thMessenger, 05 May 2021 - 05:25 AM.

#33 yrrot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 221 posts

Posted 05 May 2021 - 06:18 AM

View PostNavid A1, on 05 May 2021 - 12:12 AM, said:

It is a bug. Based on the game source code.... the intention was to have it not flipped... but a hard data entry created this problem.

Also, the idea of a paper doll is self perception. Similar to the concept of looking into the mirror. Yes the reflection is "flipped", but looking at myself in the mirror, left side correspond to my left arm and right side to my right arm... the information is conveyed quickly and naturally... the direction corresponds to self perception in reality.

I'm not looking at my mech from outside... I'm in the mech and I'm expecting the paperdoll to match my self perception.

The source code was designed to be *optionally* flipped. A hard coded value was set in one layer one way and the option was set to the other in the layer above it. It's like the smallest bug ever that you yourself fixed in a mod to your liking. Hardly a hill to die on, really.

Not everyone looks at it the same way, some interpret it as a 3d object's front view, others as self in a mirror. That's why it should be an option to have it either way.

#34 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,369 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 05 May 2021 - 06:48 AM

So is it possible to "Mod" MW5 into disabling friendly fire?
ie: Your teammates cannot hurt you with their AI firing at you (to try to hit enemy but you are in the way), and vice versa (You cannot hurt your teammates by accident)?

Think this might go a long way towards alleviating the past criticisms of AI in MW5...
(We have yet to see how GOG/Steam MW5 behaves, as not yet launched...)

View Postyrrot, on 05 May 2021 - 06:18 AM, said:

The source code was designed to be *optionally* flipped. A hard coded value was set in one layer one way and the option was set to the other in the layer above it. It's like the smallest bug ever that you yourself fixed in a mod to your liking. Hardly a hill to die on, really.

Not everyone looks at it the same way, some interpret it as a 3d object's front view, others as self in a mirror. That's why it should be an option to have it either way.

#35 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 05 May 2021 - 07:00 AM

View Postw0qj, on 05 May 2021 - 06:48 AM, said:

So is it possible to "Mod" MW5 into disabling friendly fire?
ie: Your teammates cannot hurt you with their AI firing at you (to try to hit enemy but you are in the way), and vice versa (You cannot hurt your teammates by accident)?

Think this might go a long way towards alleviating the past criticisms of AI in MW5...
(We have yet to see how GOG/Steam MW5 behaves, as not yet launched...)

Duuude:

https://www.nexusmod...naries/mods/225

#36 ShootterMcGavin

• PipPipPip
  • The Terror
  • The Terror
  • 65 posts
  • LocationSlam Diego, CA

Posted 05 May 2021 - 07:18 AM

Excellent

#37 Kurb

• PipPip
  • Sergeant
  • Sergeant
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 May 2021 - 08:00 AM

I was more referring to incidents of lancemates wandering off or following me when I tell them to hold, or not following when I want them to stay close. Or marching down to brawl, away from our firing line, when they are equipped with LRMs and PPCs. I haven’t really had much of an issue with friendly fire. Mostly just with lancemates being unable to follow simple instructions.

View Postw0qj, on 05 May 2021 - 03:35 AM, said:

Don't know if MW5 had implemented this already, but you can simply disable friendly fire. Simple solution!
ie: Friendly fire cannot hurt you or your teammates (and vice versa).

#38 SniperFury

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 May 2021 - 08:12 AM

Age of the the game with the $50 cost for the complete experience makes this a no go for me.

#39 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,443 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 05 May 2021 - 10:04 AM

Release date for the DLC? Existing mod compatibility? If I buy the DLC, it's gonna be my third full playthrough, and I'm used to the rescale and custom HUD mods..

Also, I think that if you supported and preordered MW5 back in the day, the DLC should really be cheaper than 20$..

15$ would be more appropriate, no?

Edited by Vellron2005, 05 May 2021 - 10:05 AM.

#40 Reno Blade

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,456 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 May 2021 - 10:45 AM

I play(ed) it on epic and I still like it.
It's not as iconic as the MW2 games, but it's a great game that got even better with mods.

Now i was waiting for the release in hope that the modders would pick up where they stopped (because of quirks comming with the dlc).

Some people voted the April patch with their wallet by buying the Stryker pack.
I have too many mechs here in MWO, so i support them by buying the DLC (and maybe gifting it in steam to my friends, so we can play together).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users