220 replies to this topic

#61 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 11:18 PM

View Postmasdero, on 21 June 2021 - 11:09 PM, said:

Please write the all timestamps as UTC+0 time.

"Patch Date and Time - June 22nd 2021 @ 10AM – 1PM PDT", so we do not have to check timezones, DST and so on.

The public of this game is all over the globe, so UTC+0 is simpler, because everybody knows the UTC offset (inclusive of DST) they are in.

While I wholeheartedly agree - you would be surprised how many people can't handle GMT Posted Image

#62 Voice of Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 477 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 11:53 PM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 21 June 2021 - 10:38 PM, said:

You are misinterpreting things here. The mobility changes of may and of june came all from the same document that was developed by the cauldron. The initial 8 chassis only got in first because PGI ran into issues implementing the values and ran out of time for the patch. Thus, with today's patch, we see the whole proposal of mech agility by the cauldron come to effect. You could say, the 8 chassis from the may patch were over-agile for one month, not vice-versa.

edit: not a cauldron member, by the way.

If this is true, then I initially misunderstood the information about increasing the mobility of the mechs. Perhaps the language barrier is to blame.
I thought that the improvement in mobility would only affect those Mechs that really need it.

#63 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 22 June 2021 - 12:06 AM

View PostVoice of Kerensky, on 21 June 2021 - 11:53 PM, said:

I thought that the improvement in mobility would only affect those Mechs that really need it.

That is pretty much how it went down and the approach that was taken.

Lets do an example for you.

Wolverine (WVR) vs Griffin (GFN)

Posted Image

Posted Image

-------------------

As you can see for same tonnage and mechs with similar roles the GFN was lacking way behind the WVR. It was ~33% behind off the top of my head.

WVR was already top of it's class and hasn't been buffed much at all. GFN didn't get buffed to the same level, because it can carry more guns.

So an element of balance there as well because more Foo (Weapons) from the GFN, more mobilty from the WVR.

The difference is the gap. One mech no longer feels like a heavy mech and is where a Medium should be, when being compared to Mediums.

I hope that makes more obvious sense. Quirks still to come as well as an additional puzzle piece to remember.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 22 June 2021 - 12:11 AM.

#64 Voice of Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 477 posts

Posted 22 June 2021 - 12:18 AM

View PostY E O N N E, on 21 June 2021 - 08:40 PM, said:

We did consider Streaks, check my post on previous page. It was too late to get anything into the June patch.

I read and counted the proposed changes for the streaks (I counted specifically for the Clan SSRM-4).
According to my calculations, it turns out that the performance of the C-SSRM-4 will decrease even more. I don’t know how much this will help a dead weapon...

Posted Image

#65 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 22 June 2021 - 12:27 AM

Based on your spreadsheet it looks pretty good and achieving the purpose Posted Image

128dmg in 2x Alpha = nuke almost all lights / super scary.
96dmg in 2 x Alpha = did not nuke lights / not scary at all.
112dmg in 2 x Alpha = might/might not nuke lights / scary again.

The rebalancing of SSRM has never really been about how much damage it does in 12-14 volleys.

The goal is not having Light Mechs 1-shot / death with a weapon that cannot miss at 390m. We believe that with the next SSRM alteration will achieve that goal.

#66 GaelicWolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 150 posts
  • LocationStuck somewhere between a Fantasy and Reality

Posted 22 June 2021 - 12:28 AM

1st, I applaud the work being done to try and improve the game, but I have come to the conclusion that the Battletech/MechWarrior game that I was hoping for, just isn't going to happen.

You know, I miss the feeling of the old MechWarrior games. Where the feeling of piloting a multi-ton machine, FELT like it. With the Agility changes the game has become more like the twitch shooters of today. Where a light mech can Zooooooom around the map acting like my cat after he's inhaled the whole bag of catnip. Piloting a Heavy should remind me of riding in my dads 1970 Chrysler New Yorker, not bopping around in a 2010 Prius for Christ sake.
Every step of these machines should be felt up in the cockpit, with the accompanying shakes and rattles. Ask any Tanker or Heavy Equipment Operator(been there myself), Bashing around in all that steel at anything other than a controlled, pace is bone-jarring. It is NOT, Rolls Royce Smooth.

Another thing that I have come to realize is that it has become stale. It doesn't matter which map, or which mode, Solo, Group que or Faction Play. It all boils down to the "Lets all go to the same AO and shoot at each other" And, frankly that is boring.

Again, I am not Poo-Pooing the work that has been done, I am glad someone is trying to keep the franchise alive.

I just have grown disillusioned with the game and the direction that I see it heading.

To me, it has become, just another Rapid paced, repetitious, forever grinding, shoot-em up.

To all those on the development teams, both Corporate (PGI) and Private (Cauldron), keep up the good work and don't let this great Franchise disappear.

Signed, GaelicWolf, ARC07, GBFL

#67 Paul Meyers DEST

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 540 posts

Posted 22 June 2021 - 12:34 AM

Looking forward to play all these 'new' mechs. Thanks cauldron and pgi. With new Polar take my money PGI...

#68 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 22 June 2021 - 12:51 AM

View PostGaelicWolf, on 22 June 2021 - 12:28 AM, said:

1st, I applaud the work being done to try and improve the game, but I have come to the conclusion that the Battletech/MechWarrior game that I was hoping for, just isn't going to happen.

You know, I miss the feeling of the old MechWarrior games...

Abbreviated for, well, brevity.

Just a reminder that the multiplayer component of the older MW games largely devolved into poptarts taking potshots at each other with insta-zap Large Lasers or PPC/Gauss. Or MG-spam rushing. Just like in MWO, you didn't see the type of iconic slugging matches that define the lore except at lower skill levels; it's very quick at the top end of performance.

For cockpit shake while walking, that's just not how MWO was built and not something Cauldron can really influence, whether or not it is desired. At least you do have MW5 if you want that big, hulking 'Mech feel.

#69 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 22 June 2021 - 12:59 AM

View PostY E O N N E, on 22 June 2021 - 12:51 AM, said:

For cockpit shake while walking, that's just not how MWO was built and not something Cauldron can really influence, whether or not it is desired. At least you do have MW5 if you want that big, hulking 'Mech feel.

Imagine all the complaints about motion sickness! Posted Image

#70 DanMechMan

• Pip
  • CS 2023 Participant
  • CS 2023 Participant
  • 17 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 22 June 2021 - 01:00 AM

So is Hibernal coming back? Has it been fixed?

#71 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,931 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 22 June 2021 - 01:04 AM

View PostVoice of Kerensky, on 22 June 2021 - 12:18 AM, said:

I read and counted the proposed changes for the streaks (I counted specifically for the Clan SSRM-4).
According to my calculations, it turns out that the performance of the C-SSRM-4 will decrease even more. I don’t know how much this will help a dead weapon...

Posted Image

It helps it by giving some of its lost punch back... your calculation falls apart the moment you lift your finger off the trigger. In a realistic case, you are not holding down trigger, for 40 seconds with no delay, loss of lock and/or any other interruptions. Due to that any dps-based advantage just goes away as simple as that.

Edited by Navid A1, 22 June 2021 - 01:04 AM.

#72 Voice of Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 477 posts

Posted 22 June 2021 - 01:14 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 22 June 2021 - 12:27 AM, said:

Based on your spreadsheet it looks pretty good and achieving the purpose Posted Image

128dmg in 2x Alpha = nuke almost all lights / super scary.
96dmg in 2 x Alpha = did not nuke lights / not scary at all.
112dmg in 2 x Alpha = might/might not nuke lights / scary again.

The rebalancing of SSRM has never really been about how much damage it does in 12-14 volleys.

The goal is not having Light Mechs 1-shot / death with a weapon that cannot miss at 390m. We believe that with the next SSRM alteration will achieve that goal.

I understand it. And I specially laid out all the calculations so that no one would reproach me for trying to hide something.
Most importantly, I believe that the problem of streaks against lights is simply far-fetched and exaggerated.
1) Streaks on the battlefield have never met in large numbers. This already significantly reduces the likelihood of light being hit by streak shots.
2) There are always fewer lights in battles than mechs of other classes. This also reduces the likelihood of light being hit by streak shots.
3) 95% of pilots, when choosing a target for an attack, will always choose a slower, heavier and more serious target for a variety of good reasons. This further reduces the likelihood of light being hit by streak shot.
4) If the light fell under the shots of the streaks, then this is a reason for the light mech pilot to think about whether he did everything right? I played a lot on lights, but I can remember only a few cases when I was killed by a streak mech. I played a lot on streaks, but I killed tens (and maybe hundreds) times fewer lights than heavier mechs. And 90% of the lights I killed were to blame for the fact that I killed them. Someone foolishly tried to arrange a duel with me in an open space, someone stood in one place for too long, and the like. And I killed a significant part of the lights at the end of the round simply because there were no more serious targets left, and these guys stayed in the game for too long.

That is why I consider the problem of streaks to be just fictional.

#73 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 22 June 2021 - 01:21 AM

View PostGaelicWolf, on 22 June 2021 - 12:28 AM, said:

You know, I miss the feeling of the old MechWarrior games. Where the feeling of piloting a multi-ton machine, FELT like it. With the Agility changes the game has become more like the twitch shooters of today. Where a light mech can Zooooooom around the map acting like my cat after he's inhaled the whole bag of catnip. Piloting a Heavy should remind me of riding in my dads 1970 Chrysler New Yorker, not bopping around in a 2010 Prius for Christ sake.
Every step of these machines should be felt up in the cockpit, with the accompanying shakes and rattles. Ask any Tanker or Heavy Equipment Operator(been there myself), Bashing around in all that steel at anything other than a controlled, pace is bone-jarring. It is NOT, Rolls Royce Smooth.

View PostY E O N N E, on 22 June 2021 - 12:51 AM, said:

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 22 June 2021 - 12:59 AM, said:

Imagine all the complaints about motion sickness! Posted Image

Pardon me, but isn't there such a thing as improved shock absorbance equipment for the Cockpit in the 31st Century BattleTech Universe lore, which would effectively suggest why the ride might look (and/or feel) more smooth? I find myself rather confused by the argument over this, as it would seem like we should have better shock absorbance by the time we're all about a thousand years into the future. :wacko:

~D. V. "feeling like there should be a logical explanation for things not rattling around so easily" Devnull

#74 Ch_R0me

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 613 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationIn DireStar with Heavy Naval PPC

Posted 22 June 2021 - 01:42 AM

When Piranha reads about agility changes...

Posted Image

#75 SockSlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 22 June 2021 - 02:33 AM

View PostY E O N N E, on 21 June 2021 - 09:34 PM, said:

A Machine Gun doesn't stun-lock the enemy and prevent him from exacting any meaningful retaliation, Flamers doing what you want them to do does. You are never going to be satisfied with Flamers because what you want them to do is something that should not be allowed. They make solid support weapons for brawls as they are. Maybe they could do a little bit more real damage or maybe they could have marginally more range, but they are exactly where they need to be for their overheat-enemy use case.

So they could do abit more damage or abit or more range? That is what I've been trying to say, and what my tests have been showing, its not that they never overheat anything, its just too weak to be considered for all battles, yeah it shouldn't do 0.7 damage with its current heating ability, but 0.1 is just too dismal with as many mg is out there, and I find the range just a hint too short in most cases, even when pushing flamers up 120m range with vulcan still feels short since it is just big enough of a mech to get hit by everything, and Firestarter mechs have the same issue.

At the very minimal, I would be happy if they just went ahead and made the range 100 m, or if they don't improve the range, make the damage 0.2 up to 0.35 so its half of a light machine gun... it just needs slightly better other stats. Sereglach gets it as much as I do, the flamers are not where they should be still, and hopefully even just a small bit extra range or damage is added.

#76 TELEFORCE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 22 June 2021 - 03:16 AM

Wow, the Beemer and Dire Wolf get much needed torso twist range buffs. That'll make them more comfortable to play for sure!

#77 Kanukki

Rookie

• The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 June 2021 - 05:13 AM

I like the new changes. I understand that the focus has been on these passes, but it was a bit of a shame not to see the Summer Solstice Event back this year, although it was mentioned in the Roadmap.

Any chance it still comes with this patch?

#78 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 22 June 2021 - 06:07 AM

I'm more excited about the yaw angles.. my Dire can look left and right now? And can use corners even better?

YES!

#79 cl4sh

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 22 June 2021 - 07:24 AM

Posted Image

#80 DangerousOne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 22 June 2021 - 07:46 AM

All mechs should be rescaled according to square cube law. Volume to mass proportion, while mass rises by cube at the same time volume rises only by square. Current difference in scale and weight is ridiculous. Light mechs should be way bigger or assault mechs should be way smaller. The heavier mechs get the less difference in proportions is.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users