Are We Gonna Talk About This Apology Letter?

449 replies to this topic

#1 feeWAIVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 05 October 2021 - 02:49 PM

Are we even allowed to talk it?
Why was PGI compelled to make a public apology? Why not just make it right with the offended parties and move on?

Was PGI attacked? Were they threatened by a gaggle of angry activists?
Why would they bring this negative attention to their product and franchise, unless they were coerced in some way.

Perhaps they were compelled by their local government, I really don't know.

It's just sad. What a ridiculous world we live in.

#2 Hanstra

Rookie

• CS 2021 Participant
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 October 2021 - 03:10 PM

Yeah I heard they burned down PGI's offices, killed Matt Newman's dog, and then forced him to write the apology at gunpoint. That's just a rumor though so who knows if it's true, but I've heard people saying it. Super scary stuff either way.

#3 RickySpanish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 05 October 2021 - 03:12 PM

We've already got the one thread "discussing" this which has been moved to offtopic discussion. So yes one is allowed to talk about it but General Discussion is not the place. They should have stuck to their guns IMO as this opens up a slippery slope and accusations of exceptions being made. But it's done now, so there's no need to drag them over the coals any further.

#4 feeWAIVER

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 05 October 2021 - 03:14 PM

View PostRickySpanish, on 05 October 2021 - 03:12 PM, said:

We've already got the one thread "discussing" this which has been moved to offtopic discussion. So yes one is allowed to talk about it but General Discussion is not the place. They should have stuck to their guns IMO as this opens up a slippery slope and accusations of exceptions being made. But it's done now, so there's no need to drag them over the coals any further.

If it was Off Topic, it wouldn't be "An Important Announcement" on the front page of their website.

#5 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 05 October 2021 - 03:18 PM

View PostfeeWAIVER, on 05 October 2021 - 03:14 PM, said:

If it was Off Topic, it wouldn't be "An Important Announcement" on the front page of their website.

The mods considered it off topic, hence it was moved. Part of the problem is the rapdily heated nature of the "discussion" that tends to take place. Anyway, there IS a thread. It's in Off-Topic discussion. One may partake in the dumpster fire if one wishes to.

#6 feeWAIVER

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 05 October 2021 - 03:20 PM

View PostRickySpanish, on 05 October 2021 - 03:18 PM, said:

One may partake in the dumpster fire if one wishes to.

That's a pretty spicy take on trans rights, bro.

#7 feeWAIVER

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 05 October 2021 - 03:49 PM

Oh I found the thread.
MWO: Forums - Important Announcement On Trans Rights (mwomercs.com)

1st post, 9 minutes after this announcement, someone had a new complaint queued up with screenshots and all.

It's pretty clear what's happening here.

#8 Blood Rose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 989 posts
  • LocationHalf a mile away in a Gausszilla

Posted 05 October 2021 - 04:02 PM

Great. Wokies infiltrating and colonising yet another community. Im honestly sick and tired of them, politics do not belong in online games outside of the settings context.

#9 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 05 October 2021 - 04:07 PM

Cancel Culture. It's because they want to keep their jobs. I bet EG7 was the one that made them do it.

I'm pretty sure that only a few of these companies actually care about these sort of things, else it'll be like a Pride Year, every year, not just Pride-Month, and not skimp out on other places like the Middle East. They are there to sell, to make profit, not to actually care about the plights of LGBT.

#10 pattonesque

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 05 October 2021 - 04:08 PM

View PostBlood Rose, on 05 October 2021 - 04:02 PM, said:

Great. Wokies infiltrating and colonising yet another community. Im honestly sick and tired of them, politics do not belong in online games outside of the settings context.

how fragile you must to be that the very existence of trans folks in a space gives you the vapors

#11 Blood Rose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 989 posts

Posted 05 October 2021 - 04:15 PM

View Postpattonesque, on 05 October 2021 - 04:08 PM, said:

how fragile you must to be that the very existence of trans folks in a space gives you the vapors

Its not their existence, I honestly could not care any more or less. Its the fact that everything has to be all inclusive, shove it down your throat, accept the colours or your a fascist. And if its not then it has to be turned into that.
Of course, they could say no. The company could refuse to bend the knee. But then, as 6thmessenger said, they will be cancelled and the angry twitter hordes will be summoned.
I just want to enjoy the same universe I have been enjoying for near enough 20 years. It sure as hell has trans people in it, and more. Hell, look at the Canopian Pleasure Circuses. But that does not matter, its never been about bloody identity politics and it should not be. Its a space opera with giant stompy robots and thats whats important. So take the woke ideology and can it.

#12 pattonesque

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 05 October 2021 - 04:16 PM

View PostBlood Rose, on 05 October 2021 - 04:15 PM, said:

Its not their existence, I honestly could not care any more or less. Its the fact that everything has to be all inclusive, shove it down your throat, accept the colours or your a fascist. And if its not then it has to be turned into that.
Of course, they could say no. The company could refuse to bend the knee. But then, as 6thmessenger said, they will be cancelled and the angry twitter hordes will be summoned.
I just want to enjoy the same universe I have been enjoying for near enough 20 years. It sure as hell has trans people in it, and more. Hell, look at the Canopian Pleasure Circuses. But that does not matter, its never been about bloody identity politics and it should not be. Its a space opera with giant stompy robots and thats whats important. So take the woke ideology and can it.

you do care, quite a bit. otherwise your response would be, well, nothing.

what about the existence of trans people provokes this response in you?

#13 Vite Ramen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 150 posts

Posted 05 October 2021 - 04:24 PM

Matt Newman's dog was innocent in all of this

#14 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,626 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 05 October 2021 - 04:27 PM

Can a game with like, 15,000(?) active players even be canceled?

I mean, I get more results for the Mount Washington Observatory when I look for MWO news....

#15 pattonesque

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 05 October 2021 - 04:28 PM

View PostSug, on 05 October 2021 - 04:27 PM, said:

Can a game with like, 15,000(?) active players even be canceled?

I mean, I get more results for the Mount Washington Observatory when I look for MWO news....

19,000-ish last month! but it's a valid question lol

#16 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,626 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 05 October 2021 - 04:30 PM

View Postpattonesque, on 05 October 2021 - 04:28 PM, said:

19,000-ish last month! but it's a valid question lol

Is it bad that that number actually impresses me?

There are people with more forum posts than active players...

#17 pattonesque

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 05 October 2021 - 04:31 PM

View PostSug, on 05 October 2021 - 04:30 PM, said:

Is it bad that that number actually impresses me?

There are people with more forum posts than active players...

I mean, it's the highest population this game has had in September since 2018. so all things considered, not bad

#18 Blood Rose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 989 posts

Posted 05 October 2021 - 04:32 PM

View Postpattonesque, on 05 October 2021 - 04:16 PM, said:

you do care, quite a bit. otherwise your response would be, well, nothing.

what about the existence of trans people provokes this response in you?

I care because its the exact same thing that happened to so many other settings, or parts of media. Its the same every times, it starts with the infiltration, then the small demands that things be changed, the push for a more 'diverse' feel. And so the company appeases, but the demands keep on coming and as the appeasement happens more and more wokies flood in and the demands become greater. And it never ends, not until the woke crowd is satisfied that everything they deem "problematic" has been removed, and all the "evil {Godwin's Law} chud filth" has been silenced.
Enough is never enough, you cannot appease them and the more you bow the more they demand, and the situation quickly reaches criticality, where the situation is big enough on social media that any refusal or misstep by the company results in an angry uprising and a furious storm.

And what is the end result? Almost always a "inclusive diverse safe space" with all that made it fun or interesting sucked out and replaced with the exact same 'approved' content that the mob forced into the last thing they ruined.
There is a certain irony in all this mind, these are the people who claim to be diverse, free and inclusive and make their enemy - IE anyone who is not right with them, right by their side, storming the walls - out to be evil authoritarian fascist oppressors... Despite the woke crowd being some of the most horribly authoritarian people currently around. Dont forget, they branded Free Speech a "hard right thing".

Anyway, im bad at actually getting my point across in these things, but i hope you understand. I dont care that they are here, but I do care about them demanding change to a perfectly fine setting. Or how long is it until we have our own version of "Orcs being evil is a racist white-centric view point"?

#19 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,626 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 05 October 2021 - 04:33 PM

View Postpattonesque, on 05 October 2021 - 04:31 PM, said:

I mean, it's the highest population this game has had in September since 2018. so all things considered, not bad

Movin' on up.

Hey, anyone else old enough to remember this PGI debacle?

edit: And that was 2014...

Edited by Sug, 05 October 2021 - 04:35 PM.

#20 Vite Ramen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 150 posts

Posted 05 October 2021 - 04:36 PM

Wow, sounds like you had an awful lot to say after all, and all that over 'trans rights'.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users