Please Stop Nascaring

102 replies to this topic

#1 Blood Rose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 989 posts
  • LocationHalf a mile away in a Gausszilla

Posted 10 October 2021 - 01:34 PM

As the title says please, just stop it. Stop zooming off into the distance then crying because you ran smack into the opposing team who stuck together. Please stop abandoning your slower, heavier units, then whining because you got obliterated whilst they get ripped apart by the enemy team shortly after. Learn to stick with your bloody team for ***** sake, and stop abandoning your slower units to die.

#2 MechWarrior5782621

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 117 posts

Posted 10 October 2021 - 01:43 PM

Posted Image

#3 John Bronco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 966 posts

Posted 10 October 2021 - 03:56 PM

Never.

#4 RickySpanish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 10 October 2021 - 04:07 PM

And get killed trying to protect all you poor folk who can't afford a proper engine? No thanks! Timby wolf goes VROOM VROOM!

#5 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 10 October 2021 - 04:15 PM

I take a big engine to go vroom VROOM! If you don't want to Nascar, well, then don't.

#6 Benjamin357

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 78 posts

Posted 10 October 2021 - 04:15 PM

Posted Image

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that Nascar -- for lack of a better word -- is good.
Nascar is right.
Nascar works.
Nascar clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Nascar, in all of its forms -- nascar for XP, for C-Bills, for Achievements, Glory -- has marked the upward surge of MechKind.
And nascar -- you mark my words -- will not only save Kurita, but that other malfunctioning corporation called the Inner Sphere.

#7 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 10 October 2021 - 04:16 PM

"Nooooooooo! You can't just keep rotating to the right while leaving your assaultarinos behind bro!"

"hahaha xl engine go brrrr"

#8 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 10 October 2021 - 04:31 PM

#9 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 10 October 2021 - 04:53 PM

To put it simply - The player base is not skilled enough such that it won't stop.

If the playerbases overall skill floor was higher then Assault/Heavy/Support (Med and Lights) would hold the strong positions on maps while fast lights go off and do light mech business.

Alas what happens is anyone above about 90km/h thinks they are a "flanker" so they rotate right non-stop with the faster lights (130km/h+). Not all faster lights are flankers (PIR for example), you engage early in a PIR you're gonna get 1-shot by any half competent Assault player.

So the rotation begins as the "fear" of being left behind kicks in for anyone sub 90km/h because they too do not understand what is smart and strategic gameplay.

This is why even in a 2man, if you hold a corner properly, you can slap 4-6 players as they 1-by-1 rotate in because all the majority of players are is lemmings. Just rotate with the dude in front of them.

You will often see those who NASCAR the hardest will be sub 250 damage. They spend far more time running than they do shooting.

Case in point from one of my games last night. All of the players you see sub 200dmg - quite literally rotated 1 by 1 into enemies and were deleted -OR- spent most of the game blindly rotating rather than shooting.

Posted Image

#10 Capt Deadpool

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 305 posts

Posted 10 October 2021 - 05:29 PM

At the Tier 1 level (except during weekends) I have seen markedly less Nascar with design of new canyon, polar, hpg, and caustic, combined with weapon/mech changes that have shifted the meta. These factors have even affected pug player behaviors on the old maps. Don't get me wrong, there is still plentyyy of Nascar, but you can try grinding to tier one if you want less of it (either by working on skill mechanics, playing more effective builds, or gaming the matchscore system. I don't recommend the last option as you will end up having less fun when you make it to tier 1. Also don't play on weekends lol.)

#11 crazytimes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 10 October 2021 - 07:20 PM

View PostBlood Rose, on 10 October 2021 - 01:34 PM, said:

As the title says please, just stop it. Stop zooming off into the distance then crying because you ran smack into the opposing team who stuck together. Please stop abandoning your slower, heavier units, then whining because you got obliterated whilst they get ripped apart by the enemy team shortly after. Learn to stick with your bloody team for ***** sake, and stop abandoning your slower units to die.

Team doesn't need to stick together. Slower mechs need to not follow faster mechs.

Instead what happens is the fastest try and flank to skirmish, as they probably should. Mid speed try and follow to 'stick with the team'. Slow try and follow the mids to 'stick with the team'.

If fast mechs go and do their thing, slow hold a position, and mediums screen the slow from enemy fast, then you could almost have a strategy break out. That does happen ocassionally, and it makes for more fun for me when it does.

#12 GuardDogg

• The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 10 October 2021 - 07:31 PM

Those that Nascar have more weight (rocks) on their right brain. Those who move to the left after drop (or even use the whole map for tactical), know how to mess up the enemy. Reason why PGI is fixing the maps to stop the Nascar. Anyone that Commands, and wins, should be rewarded.

Edited by GuardDogg, 10 October 2021 - 07:38 PM.

#13 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,952 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 10 October 2021 - 07:43 PM

guys stop posting miss information
"triple caution stay center"

#14 Vindicated

• PipPipPip
  • Sho-sa-ni
  • Sho-sa-ni
  • 59 posts

Posted 10 October 2021 - 08:30 PM

Nascar is strong. Cauldron should take note and report this exploit to PGI.

A lot of the time, you'll notice that your better teammates (I didn't know they were better) INTENTIONALLY give their backs to the enemy and not shoot. Here's a secret some do not want you to know. This is based off some in game mechanic where taking shots in your back deals significantly less damage than if you take it in the side or back.

I've heard some people say that it also "reflects" the damage back to the attacker or that it's at least supposed to, but I have not seen this myself. I heard it used to work like that though but Cauldron removed it for "balance" reasons.

Note: if you did not detect the SARCASM already, the above is not true, except for that fact that many teammates who do in fact give "advice" that you need to keep moving like to give their backs to an enemy they know is there and get shot in the back and in the process of doing so they make no attempt to shoot the enemy.

#15 pattonesque

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 10 October 2021 - 08:53 PM

There are many reasons for NASCAR but chief among them is a general unwillingness of the average MWO player to actually engage the enemy. Most folks in this game maneuver in order to delay the time where they are forced to fire at the enemy and potentially take damage for as long as possible.

#16 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 10 October 2021 - 08:53 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 10 October 2021 - 04:53 PM, said:

To put it simply - The player base is not skilled enough such that it won't stop.

If the playerbases overall skill floor was higher then Assault/Heavy/Support (Med and Lights) would hold the strong positions on maps while fast lights go off and do light mech business.

Alas what happens is anyone above about 90km/h thinks they are a "flanker" so they rotate right non-stop with the faster lights (130km/h+). Not all faster lights are flankers (PIR for example), you engage early in a PIR you're gonna get 1-shot by any half competent Assault player.

So the rotation begins as the "fear" of being left behind kicks in for anyone sub 90km/h because they too do not understand what is smart and strategic gameplay.

This is why even in a 2man, if you hold a corner properly, you can slap 4-6 players as they 1-by-1 rotate in because all the majority of players are is lemmings. Just rotate with the dude in front of them.

You will often see those who NASCAR the hardest will be sub 250 damage. They spend far more time running than they do shooting.

Case in point from one of my games last night. All of the players you see sub 200dmg - quite literally rotated 1 by 1 into enemies and were deleted -OR- spent most of the game blindly rotating rather than shooting.

Posted Image

Nah not due to player skill. I think by now we should know this. What makes MWO so unique that it somehow attracts worse players than other games? Nothing really, less players sure, but not worse.

Nascar is an objective issue and a communication issue, not a player skill issue, and surprisingly enough it doesn't just happen in MWO. For example large scale battles in Guild Wars 2 world vs world mode not involving an objective almost always turn into a Nascar situation - two zergs rotate around each other stripping stragglers of "stability" (CC immunity) until those falling behind drop out of range of group buffs. Then they are singled out and killed.

As long as 'Mechs are the most important "objective" in MWO, whereby killing the enemy team is more important than anything else to victory, players will always rotate around each other in this silly game of cat and mouse. As long as teams cannot effectively coordinate strategy, the simple tactic of "avoid the enemy, attack the flank" will prevail.

Edited by RickySpanish, 10 October 2021 - 08:54 PM.

#17 Saved By The Bell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 11 October 2021 - 12:16 AM

If you slow and cant nascar: avoid nascar maps where you cant hide. For example: You cant hide and survive in Canyon (worst nascar map). You can hide in Solaris city. Etc...

#18 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 11 October 2021 - 02:12 AM

Stand back and snipe or move. That's our game. If you want you can sit around and be bait or a target but you're going to have a bad time.

#19 Rkshz

• 2,866 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationOdesa, Ukraine

Posted 11 October 2021 - 02:32 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 10 October 2021 - 04:53 PM, said:

I was born in nascar and I will tell you why nascar happens
1. not because of the skill - because low-skill players DO NOT know where to run and where the enemy will come from... low-skill players prefer to stand in one place and wait for the enemy (and this is already the problem of the MM balance formula that skill players play with low-skill players).
2. nascar problem is a map problem - if map has a closed center of the map, then the players will reflexively try to go around the center of the map (or many high obstacles like Solaris City).
3. this is the problem of MM the balance of the distribution of players and mechs in teams - if the first team has a lot of fast mechs, and the second team has a lot of slow mechs, then the faster team will try to flank - this is both logical and natural, because faster mechs are more vulnerable and there is no point in going into a frontal or trench attack

and so nascar is a complex problem
but if you noticed, then the new HPG and Caustic have practically no nascars - this is a good trend

Edited by Rkshz, 11 October 2021 - 02:37 AM.

#20 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 11 October 2021 - 04:35 AM

Well look who we have. NASCAR man.

I wonder - what is your default go-to move every match, even when your group has long range and can hold ground? NASCAR as fast as you can despite the fact you didn't need to one iota.

Funny that when I'm playing,m (group or solo) there is very little NASCAR. I guess that's the power of understanding. But yeah, it's definitely not a player issue or anything like that. Definitely gotta blame everything else. You comment on the Match Maker and that isn't even how it works... The sticky thread in this very section explains this.

Laughable as always.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users