Bad Players

50 replies to this topic

#1 OsmiumAxe

Rookie

• The Bludgeon
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 January 2022 - 05:20 PM

I have played MWO for awhile and Im honestly horrible at the game. Tier 4 for life. My question is would better players be willing to pay a monthly fee to just get rid of any players below tier 1? Would it be worth $10 a month to just remove bad players from the game? Elitist comments during matches leads me to believe so. How long does the game survive if only good players play it? Is that financially feasible? Or maybe developers could create mechs that can only be purchased if you are tier 1 and those mechs can be matched with other mechs in that category. Thoughts?

#2 Hobbles v

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 354 posts

Posted 09 January 2022 - 05:26 PM

No because fighting a mix of opponents is best. More entertaining and you learn more with a wide variety of opponents.

Its easier to predict what the good pilots are gonna do. But harder to beat head to head

Terrible pilots can be absolutely unpredictable/surprising but easier to fight head to head.

#3 pbiggz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,686 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 09 January 2022 - 05:59 PM

There is some toxicity from upper tier players directed towards the lower tiers. There is some toxicity from lower tier players directed towards upper tiers.

I left the game for like a year and a half and came back to find it was far more laid back than before. I guess the game dying and coming back to life had that effect, but no, lets not fragment the playerbase. Just relax and click on robots. If it stops being fun, go play something else for a bit.

#4 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,712 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 09 January 2022 - 06:09 PM

Since the reset, then of tiers more in BT terms instead of just 5 to 1. Elite, Veteran, Regular, Militia and Green. Units, from Regiments to Companies would be listed as such, but even then said units would not all be Elite nor Regulars, a mixture of them all but overall average being that listing.

MWO is a team game. More often a team coordinates and works together, the better. The unfortunate part though players may treat the other players as NPCs, and even those who do drop as a group, many do not play like a group, just chit-chatting via their own VOIP. Nothing wrong with that but it can be irritating at times :)

With that said, on each drop you are the only constant. Are you able to rope a friend or two in? That can make it more bearable or even enjoyable, and if feedback is going back and forth could potentially increase one's skills. And those skills isnt just what happens on the battlefield but also in the mechlab.

Have fun!!

#5 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,929 posts

Posted 09 January 2022 - 06:16 PM

View PostHobbles v, on 09 January 2022 - 05:26 PM, said:

No because fighting a mix of opponents is best. More entertaining and you learn more with a wide variety of opponents.

Its easier to predict what the good pilots are gonna do. But harder to beat head to head

Terrible pilots can be absolutely unpredictable/surprising but easier to fight head to head.

i find myself doing better with the higher skill players than with the lower skilled ones. idk what to do when my team goes 6 different directions. with skilled players at least they take useful positions and you can set up with them. i dont know why any skilled player would want to set up an alt so they can play in t4 land. it sounds like the very definition of hell to me.

#6 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 09 January 2022 - 06:35 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 09 January 2022 - 06:16 PM, said:

I don't know why any skilled player would want to set up an alt so they can play in t4 land. It sounds like the very definition of hell to me.

We have warm cookies and peppered bacon? Posted Image

#7 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,876 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 09 January 2022 - 06:47 PM

View PostOsmiumAxe, on 09 January 2022 - 05:20 PM, said:

My question is would better players be willing to pay a monthly fee to just get rid of any players below tier 1? Would it be worth $10 a month to just remove bad players from the game?

Players below Tier 1 are the vast majority of the player base. The game wouldn't live long after that.

Salty gamers are a fact of life. The more people that are online and playing, the less often you encounter people far above or below your skill. Its far from a perfect system, but it works, bubble sorting players up into levels where they're more likely to encounter folks on their leve.. T5 players don't encounter T1 players, and T4 players should rarely encounter them unless the match maker is scraping the bottom of the barrel.

But people ALWAYS encounter salty players. Don't let them get under your skin, strangers on the internet aren't worth it.

#8 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,929 posts

Posted 09 January 2022 - 06:52 PM

View PostDaZur, on 09 January 2022 - 06:35 PM, said:

We have warm cookies and peppered bacon? Posted Image

its ok i know a hog farmer.

#9 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 09 January 2022 - 07:18 PM

I have played MWO for awhile and Im honestly horrible at the game. Tier 4 for life. My question is would better players be willing to pay a monthly fee to just get rid of any players below tier 1? Would it be worth $10 a month to just remove bad players from the game? Elitist comments during matches leads me to believe so. How long does the game survive if only good players play it? Is that financially feasible? Or maybe developers could create mechs that can only be purchased if you are tier 1 and those mechs can be matched with other mechs in that category. Thoughts?

The vast majority of the playerbase sits between Tier 5 and Tier 3. A small percentage sits in Tier 1 and Tier 2. If you are Tier 4 you are rarely seeing elite players.

You say "elitist" comments, got some examples?

I bet the players making such comments are, at best, average and not remotely close to elite/high skill players and thus all of this is about nothing as it's low skill players carrying on with low skill nonsense. Most online games are like this...

If you don't like the comms/text then one can always turn them off Posted Image

#10 w0qj

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,489 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 09 January 2022 - 07:57 PM

You can always "Block_Player" by looking up the 24-player list at the end of each fight.
In this way, the blocked player(s) cannot interact with you via ingame text or voice comms.

There are so many players playing MWO QP (Quick Play) right now that you'll unlikely meet that player anyways. And if you do, purposely go spend a few minutes to make a cup of coffee, come back and you'll be in a different time bin of QP players!

I've tried "Block_Player" a few times, but honestly, you see them so rarely that I've always ended up taking them off my Blocked Player List. And they've probably forgotten about you as well.
(As an aside, someone verbally threatened to "shoot my mech" if I asked one more time before the fight for others to press "R" to help spot for my...cough...LRM Assault boat). Posted Image

If a specific player is hounding you from game to game and from day to day, then it's time to contact MWO admin to escalate this. But this is extremely rare (and non-existent in my case).

Almost everyone (if not all) are here to have their adult mech stomping fun. Posted Image

Edited by w0qj, 09 January 2022 - 09:17 PM.

#11 Bassault

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • 389 posts

Posted 09 January 2022 - 08:42 PM

To be honest I do rage at teammates and call them dumb etc, but only when they NASCAR and leave me to die.

#12 Capt Deadpool

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 305 posts

Posted 09 January 2022 - 09:28 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 09 January 2022 - 07:18 PM, said:

I bet the players making such comments are, at best, average and not remotely close to elite/high skill players and thus all of this is about nothing as it's low skill players carrying on with low skill nonsense. Most online games are like this...

Exactly.

I guarantee you, OP, any exceedingly toxic player you encounter is a B+ player at absolute best, regardless if they say they play comp or soup or FP. This is a very niche game with a very small community and no one with half a brain is going to get their ego/self-identity all tied up in game that’s not some major ultra-high skill ceiling e-sport with massive money and fame on the line.

In fact, the vast majority of top echelon players stopped playing this game long ago after hitting the skill ceiling and getting bored, and the ones that remain are well-known even-tempered fellas who are mostly trying to keep this dying smashy robot pastime alive.

I’d say most of the real top tier folks are hugely concerned with the state of play for low tier players and cadets, for without them, the game dies.

Laugh at the toxic players, because they are laughable.

#13 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,622 posts

Posted 10 January 2022 - 04:56 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 09 January 2022 - 07:18 PM, said:

The vast majority of the playerbase sits between Tier 5 and Tier 3. A small percentage sits in Tier 1 and Tier 2.

Btw does Cauldron have any PGI given numbers of what percentile is on what tier or any kind of how many percent of players for each tier? Just curious.
For example ScrapIron Prime (and no I have zero intention to mock/shame/question belonging to T1 for ScrapIron) is 80% percentile. Does that mean that top20 percentile is T1? and that would be 1/5 of whole playerbase?

It would kinda make sense that each 5 tier has 20% of total players?

#14 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,629 posts

Posted 10 January 2022 - 05:13 AM

The Jarl's list percentile is a tricky measure stick. It's based on average Matchscore, which in itself is determined by your drop environment aka your PSR. As soon as your PSR levels itself out (not talking about reaching the max. cap, of course), aka you have reached your "stable" PSR-rating, your avMS will be relatively low compared to someone still rising.
Example: https://leaderboard....Czerno&f=1&l=65
Take these two, one is mid-tier 1(PSR ca. 4400-4500), the other is low-tier 2(PSR ca 3200), which one is the better player?

#15 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 10 January 2022 - 05:17 AM

View PostCurccu, on 10 January 2022 - 04:56 AM, said:

Btw does Cauldron have any PGI given numbers of what percentile is on what tier or any kind of how many percent of players for each tier? Just curious.
For example ScrapIron Prime (and no I have zero intention to mock/shame/question belonging to T1 for ScrapIron) is 80% percentile. Does that mean that top20 percentile is T1? and that would be 1/5 of whole playerbase?

It would kinda make sense that each 5 tier has 20% of total players?

We have been given, a while back (4-5 months), very basic numbers that probably needed some context but we didn't get it.
The numbers helped facilitate some discussions at the time.

So we aren't allowed to post them up but I can say basic things that others have commented on already.

T1+T2 has less in it than Tier 3 or Tier 4.
T3 has 3.5x as many as T1+2
T4 has 2x as many as T1+2

So the upper tiers are quite small and PSR is certainly keeping players where they should be now even if it isn't a perfect system and things like AMS give too much match score etc.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 10 January 2022 - 05:19 AM.

#16 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,998 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 10 January 2022 - 07:02 AM

you will probably get shouted down

but why not offer T1 players the option/s

if you want to see more head over to MWO twitch

https://www.twitch.t...arrior%20Online

also things are a lot better these days

with a ton of new players
given time and with Matt's help MWO might slowly recover

#17 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,622 posts

Posted 10 January 2022 - 07:23 AM

View PostDavegt27, on 10 January 2022 - 07:02 AM, said:

you will probably get shouted down

But not by T1 players as we are not in same default MM pool with T4.

#18 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,913 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 10 January 2022 - 08:24 AM

Is this a joke?

Allowing T1 players the option to pay for playing with only other T1 players would be asking those players to pay for near infinite wait times. It's effectively asking them to pay to not play the game.

To make matters worse, if we remove "bad players" from the T1 game play experience then, ironically, about half the T1 players (just a guess) would likely also have to be booted.

#19 r4plez

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 812 posts
  • LocationFoundry

Posted 10 January 2022 - 08:26 AM

Go read some about mediana, density curves , and than translate that to any game that want to make profit, you will get youself an answer

In short every game is designed to make profit on bad gamers, because thats majority of playerbase, but also there's hard nut to crack for dev team to make such game enjoyable for 2% of top players. And no, those elits wont net any valuable profit Posted Image and if you lock content behind paywall also dependant on your skill thats another nail to coffin

Edited by r4plez, 10 January 2022 - 09:04 AM.

#20 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 10 January 2022 - 09:47 AM

View PostI LOVE ANNIHILATORS, on 09 January 2022 - 08:42 PM, said:

To be honest I do rage at teammates and call them dumb etc, but only when they NASCAR and leave me to die.

Well, if you aren't in a group you should expect that to happen if you can't break 55 kph. It sucks, but that's life. If you are solo-pugging you are just going to have to use something with a slightly more powerful engine than a hamster wheel hooked up to a turbine.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users