210 replies to this topic

#61 BellatorMonk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 617 posts
  • LocationWallet Closed PGI Knows Why

Posted 22 September 2022 - 08:12 PM

"The playerbase must be extremely small that i have to be matched against the top 1%"

This is a correct statement. Get used to it.

#62 evil kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 143 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 08:25 PM

im not gonna lie, most teir 1 and 2 gameplay is not enjoyable at all. its either the top 1%, farming or doing goofball stuff for giggles, people copying comp strats without fully understanding the strat and failing at it, or people doing cheeseball tactics that are more annoying then effective.

top it off with a healthy helping of 4 mans swaying the match in either direction and your psr change becomes a total crapshoot based off how hard your team is trying at the time. ive considered throwing a few games just to move down a teir or 2. at least in teir 3 or 4 no ones toxic, even if its a headless chicken rush type of game style.

#63 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,817 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 23 September 2022 - 07:08 AM

View Post1Exitar1, on 22 September 2022 - 06:53 PM, said:

Also, when I was leveling up and moved into 3, it took me a little while to STAY in Tier 3! I kept getting bumped down to 4. It took even longer for me to stay in Tier 2 when I got there.

Keep at it! You will get better and move up!

That's how it goes. You rise to the next tier and encounter more people who will take advantage of all the small mistakes that you're making, and you might not even realize that some of them were mistakes. Positioning, movement, build choices... and you make improvements, change how you're playing a little, and then rise through that tier.

The only player I have to blame for my losing all the time... is me! Because that's the one player all those matches had in common. So I take a long look in the mirror and say goodbye to a beloved build... or learn to corner peek better... or stop solo dropping in a slow-a** assault...

Practice, practice. And having a good outlook on it helps greatly!

#64 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 23 September 2022 - 08:35 AM

View PostMrMadguy, on 15 September 2022 - 10:04 AM, said:

Due to tryhard deathballs. Two matches in a row - two insta deaths from enemies just running at us within 15 seconds from match start. Can advancing to Tier 3 be simply disabled for me? It ruins 50% of my matches due to tier fluctuations. It's impossible to do free 'Mech event.

The Underhive never goes away...

Posted Image

#65 GARION26

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 301 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 09:42 AM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 23 September 2022 - 07:08 AM, said:

That's how it goes. You rise to the next tier and encounter more people who will take advantage of all the small mistakes that you're making, and you might not even realize that some of them were mistakes. Positioning, movement, build choices... and you make improvements, change how you're playing a little, and then rise through that tier.

The only player I have to blame for my losing all the time... is me! Because that's the one player all those matches had in common. So I take a long look in the mirror and say goodbye to a beloved build... or learn to corner peek better... or stop solo dropping in a slow-a** assault...

Practice, practice. And having a good outlook on it helps greatly!

That's the best advice I can give you.
There is an "RNG" in this game about what players you drop with and against, whether someone spots you across the map, whether that machine gun hits the ammo in the open compartment, whether that double AC 20 by luck (rather then skill) hits you in the cockpit etc.

You can't control those things.

You can control your game play and work to get better.

I'm a tier 4 schlubb - I know I'm not as good as even tier 2 players. That's fine. Heck there are plenty of tier 4 players who are significantly better then me (even if their PSR doesn't quite show it). That's fine too.

Work on getting better and know that for every time low population and 'RNG' puts a Mechwarrior elite player on the opposite side, it will put that player on your side as well.

#66 John McClintock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 305 posts

Posted 24 September 2022 - 10:46 AM

There are lots of writings on this site describing things that you can do to improve your playing, I know because I have spent hours writing some of them. May not make a T5 into a T1 but with time and practice those tips should lead to better scores. The problem, of course, is that other people are evolving and getting better as well...

Another issue is that "somebody" won't stop tinkering with the mech/weapons balance, so that the game is constantly evolving (for better or worse). What worked well a year ago may not work well now. so tactics and builds must constantly evolve to stay "meta". I watched this for years with games like "World of Warcraft", it's one of the main reasons I quit playing the commercial version, the constant tinkering.

#67 BelligerentEngine

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 September 2022 - 01:49 AM

I'm PSR 1, I'm not amazing at the game but I tend to do decently enough to rank up consistently.

I'll say that going through PSR 3 was hell; not only are you matched vs PSR 1 players for the first time, but matchmaker sometimes will screw you for literally days at a time for some reason. I recently made a second account (for research and educational purposes I swear!) and once I hit PSR 3 I encountered the exact same situation, though I was able to grind through it a lot faster this time. At PSR 1 and 2, for some reason I get far more consistent matchups.

#68 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,615 posts

Posted 25 September 2022 - 02:25 AM

View Postfetzonk, on 21 September 2022 - 07:05 AM, said:

"Get good" just doesn't cut it here. I will never be good enough to have a meaningful impact in a game of that level. The playerbase must be extremely small that i have to be matched against the top 1%. Also I don't understand: How am I even Tier 3? My win ratio is 0.76 and still I keep climbing. I don't want to climb. I lose more than winning. Feels like being an impostor.

But you are actually improving all the time

Your August stats:
WL= 0,65
KD= 0,93
average match score= 226
ranked by matchscore= 13045

Your September stats:
WL= 0,9
KD= 1,62
average match score= 302
ranked by matchscore= 2035 out of 19443 players

That is pretty nice improvement.

#69 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 25 September 2022 - 02:47 AM

View PostBelligerentEngine, on 25 September 2022 - 01:49 AM, said:

I'm PSR 1, I'm not amazing at the game but I tend to do decently enough to rank up consistently.

I'll say that going through PSR 3 was hell; not only are you matched vs PSR 1 players for the first time, but matchmaker sometimes will screw you for literally days at a time for some reason. I recently made a second account (for research and educational purposes I swear!) and once I hit PSR 3 I encountered the exact same situation, though I was able to grind through it a lot faster this time. At PSR 1 and 2, for some reason I get far more consistent matchups.

I think that the difference is that if you are in T3, the rest of your team could easily be T5 and T4 players, while if you are in T1 or T2, you can hope that the majority of your team will be composed of other T1s, T2s and T3s, i.e. players who already know how to play this game.

#70 BelligerentEngine

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 September 2022 - 03:01 AM

View Postmartian, on 25 September 2022 - 02:47 AM, said:

I think that the difference is that if you are in T3, the rest of your team could easily be T5 and T4 players, while if you are in T1 or T2, you can hope that the majority of your team will be composed of other T1s, T2s and T3s, i.e. players who already know how to play this game.

Chalk it up to what you will, but PSR 3 MM feels off, and not in a fun way.

#71 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 25 September 2022 - 03:09 AM

View PostBelligerentEngine, on 25 September 2022 - 03:01 AM, said:

Chalk it up to what you will, but PSR 3 MM feels off, and not in a fun way.

It is okay, now you are in T1 and T3 is behind you. Posted Image

#72 BelligerentEngine

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 September 2022 - 03:33 AM

The issue isn't me, but that I feel like t3 is a wall that potentially discourages new players. I feel like the entire PSR system should be scrapped and matchmaking should work based on recent performance, so if you eat sh*t for enough games in a row you get thrown into a match where you'll do better and have some fun.

#73 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 25 September 2022 - 03:45 AM

View PostBelligerentEngine, on 25 September 2022 - 03:33 AM, said:

The issue isn't me, but that I feel like t3 is a wall that potentially discourages new players. I feel like the entire PSR system should be scrapped and matchmaking should work based on recent performance, so if you eat sh*t for enough games in a row you get thrown into a match where you'll do better and have some fun.

I think about T3 as a sieve.

A casual MWO player rises here and possibly stops here, having the same probability of having T4 and T5 players in his games as having T1 and T2 players in his games (yes, I know that this is not so easy, but you get the idea). If he is truly casual, he does not have to do nothing else and he stays in T3, maybe moving between the upper half of T4 and the lower half of T3 occasionally.

But if a player wants to try something more competetive, then reaching of T3 is probably the right moment for rethinking his tactics, his 'Mech builds, etc.

#74 BelligerentEngine

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 September 2022 - 06:59 AM

You're saying "this thing exists".
I'm saying "this thing exists and makes the new player experience terrible and should be looked at"

#75 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 25 September 2022 - 07:46 AM

View PostBelligerentEngine, on 25 September 2022 - 06:59 AM, said:

You're saying "this thing exists".
I'm saying "this thing exists and makes the new player experience terrible and should be looked at"

No problem.

Sit down to your Personal Computer, write your detailed suggestion (including your explanation why and in what respect it would be better than the status quo) and post it to the appropriate section: Feature Suggestions

#76 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,755 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 25 September 2022 - 01:27 PM

View PostBelligerentEngine, on 25 September 2022 - 01:49 AM, said:

Exactly. The mix of casual and pro players makes for some very chaotic matches and can be hard to get consistent psr boosts. Once you hit tier 2 though it starts to even out and by the time you get to tier 1 the gameplay has more or less stabilized since everyone knows what they are doing for the most part and many are grouped and communicating.

#77 Pixel Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 368 posts
  • LocationTraverse City, MI

Posted 26 September 2022 - 05:11 PM

View PostMeep Meep, on 25 September 2022 - 01:27 PM, said:

Exactly. The mix of casual and pro players makes for some very chaotic matches and can be hard to get consistent psr boosts.

and the random wheel of misfortune that is having a mech not fit for the team/situation and the factor that some mechs are just flat out better than some others.

#78 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 26 September 2022 - 08:32 PM

View PostPixel Hunter, on 26 September 2022 - 05:11 PM, said:

and the random wheel of misfortune that is having a mech not fit for the team/situation

All players are in the same situation when pushing the "Play" button. The more specialized 'Mech they take, the greater possibility that they drop on a map that will not suit that 'Mech.

View PostPixel Hunter, on 26 September 2022 - 05:11 PM, said:

and the factor that some mechs are just flat out better than some others.

Almost all MWO 'Mechs are available for C-Bills.

Only some Hero 'Mechs must be bought for MCs and those Hero 'Mechs:
  • are often worse than their standard counterparts
  • have been made available for free selection in some previous challenges

#79 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,615 posts

Posted 26 September 2022 - 11:47 PM

View Postmartian, on 26 September 2022 - 08:32 PM, said:

Almost all MWO 'Mechs are available for C-Bills.

Only some Hero 'Mechs must be bought for MCs and those Hero 'Mechs:
  • are often worse than their standard counterparts
  • have been made available for free selection in some previous challenges

And I haven't played much this Year (skipped most of the events) and yet 11550 MC earned so far add 10k from just playing those 50 championship games (zero wins required) and xmas MC and Yearly gain sits somewhere around 23k MC... Buy heroes from sales and you get quite many with those credits.

#80 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 27 September 2022 - 09:51 AM

View PostCurccu, on 26 September 2022 - 11:47 PM, said:

And I haven't played much this Year (skipped most of the events) and yet 11550 MC earned so far add 10k from just playing those 50 championship games (zero wins required) and xmas MC and Yearly gain sits somewhere around 23k MC... Buy heroes from sales and you get quite many with those credits.

I would say that as for the 'Mech selection in lower Tiers, then "anything goes".

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users