141 replies to this topic

#41 pbiggz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,687 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 12 October 2022 - 10:56 AM

I think television would suit battletech better than a movie; its a very, very big setting though, so the right period and characters would have to be chosen. Where do you set a battletech series? In the periphery during the reunification war? During the fall of the star league? The succession wars? The clan invasion? Maybe the Civil War?

Another issue is that some of battletech hasn't exactly aged gracefully; case in point;

View PostKnownswift, on 11 October 2022 - 12:23 AM, said:

Because no studio wants to deal with this.

Posted Image

Some of its campy, with shallow characters, some of it, especially the really old stuff, even comes off as downright racist by today's standards, so any series will need to come with a general expectation that the show runners will likely change characters and motivations to appeal to more contemporary audiences. That means the people who make it will probably change things that Mechdads don't want them to change.

On a separate note, if people being black in middle earth breaks your immersion, but somehow cave-dwelling midgets and pointy eared tree people who can't get old doesn't, then you're probably just looking for a reason to be mad, and I really have no respect for that. The same thing even happend for House of the Dragon, where they cast Steve Toussaint as Lord Corlys Velaryon, and made most members of that house black or mixed race; because fire spitting lizards ridden by inbred white skinned silver haired kings from volcano rome was totally acceptable, but a rich lord being black was a bridge too far. Never mind that Corlys is one of the best characters in that show, and Toussaint absolutely knocks it out of the park every time he's on screen; never mind that George RR Martin has stated he almost made the Targaryens black right out of the gate, and if he could do it all again, he probably would make them black; and never mind that plainly making one valyrian family black and one white makes it dramatically easier for the audience to keep all 18 million characters and their names straight in their brains. You're far less likely to confuse Vaemond, Aemond, and Daemon because of that choice and that's just one little example.

Open your minds; just because you like a thing the way it was, doesn't mean it cant be better if someone changes something. Not every adaptation is better, sometimes changes are dumb, but knee jerk rejection of all change is brainless at best, and mean spirited at worst.

#42 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,880 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 12 October 2022 - 11:34 AM

View Postpbiggz, on 12 October 2022 - 10:56 AM, said:

I think television would suit battletech better than a movie; its a very, very big setting though, so the right period and characters would have to be chosen. Where do you set a battletech series? In the periphery during the reunification war? During the fall of the star league? The succession wars? The clan invasion? Maybe the Civil War?

The things that make the Battletech genre aside from mechs are the fall of civilization and technology to a state of war and the politics. HBS did a great job of showcasing this in the plot and cut scenes of their Battletech game (no surprise, they had an original creator on staff). So start with something that worked. Make a show start out with either Stackpole's "Warrior: En Garde" or Keith's "Decision at Thunder Rift".

I'd personally love the latter. With the Grey Death Legion, you start out seeing how gritty the genre is out in the Periphery, move into House politics, and then delve into LosTech. All you need is someone telling the story of how the Star League fell at the very beginning to kick it off. Do that as part of a history lesson that Grayson Carlyle is forced to attend after the pilot opens with him pulling some shenanigans and getting reprimanded.

#43 Rondoe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 260 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 12 October 2022 - 11:37 AM

Just going to ad my 2 C-Bills here.

I think most studios are still gun shy on movie/tv show making based on "video games" after the many flops they
experienced adapting main stream games. (assassins creed-shudders, and many many others)

I don't think our little niche game here has much hope for any kind of adaptation. Producers would probably look up the old
cartoon series and tell who ever is pitching it to GTFO of their office. I don't think they would take the time to sit down and read a few of the books either.

Just my opinion is all. Don't get me wrong I'd love to see a few movies or tv series based on Battletech, I just don't see it in the
cards.

#44 Alex Morgaine

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 12 October 2022 - 11:48 AM

View PostMeep Meep, on 11 October 2022 - 11:58 PM, said:

I don't see how you can be mad about asian vikings. Posted Image

white samurai :3

#45 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,687 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 12 October 2022 - 11:53 AM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 12 October 2022 - 11:34 AM, said:

The things that make the Battletech genre aside from mechs are the fall of civilization and technology to a state of war and the politics. HBS did a great job of showcasing this in the plot and cut scenes of their Battletech game (no surprise, they had an original creator on staff). So start with something that worked. Make a show start out with either Stackpole's "Warrior: En Garde" or Keith's "Decision at Thunder Rift".

I'd personally love the latter. With the Grey Death Legion, you start out seeing how gritty the genre is out in the Periphery, move into House politics, and then delve into LosTech. All you need is someone telling the story of how the Star League fell at the very beginning to kick it off. Do that as part of a history lesson that Grayson Carlyle is forced to attend after the pilot opens with him pulling some shenanigans and getting reprimanded.

Agreed. Film is an excellent media for showing just how high the star league rose, and just how low the succession wars sunk; really leaning into that almost mad max in space/robo-feudalism is exactly what i'd focus on if it were me. Once that is established, introducing setting defining villains like the clans becomes easy; starting with them outright is tricky.

View PostRondoe, on 12 October 2022 - 11:37 AM, said:

Just going to ad my 2 C-Bills here.

I think most studios are still gun shy on movie/tv show making based on "video games" after the many flops they
experienced adapting main stream games. (assassins creed-shudders, and many many others)

I don't think our little niche game here has much hope for any kind of adaptation. Producers would probably look up the old
cartoon series and tell who ever is pitching it to GTFO of their office. I don't think they would take the time to sit down and read a few of the books either.

Just my opinion is all. Don't get me wrong I'd love to see a few movies or tv series based on Battletech, I just don't see it in the
cards.

I disagree; this used to be true but its not anymore.

Game of Thrones brought fantasy into the limelight again. It proved you could tell a mature story with wide appeal set in a fantasy world (never mind the show ending, considering that was entirely the result of the show runners trying to quit early to do star wars). The Witcher then picked up that ball and ran with it. So one successful show brought the genre back into fashion, the next bridged the gap between that and a video game/book setting.

Its not impossible to see how a show like the Expanse could play a similar role, helping to flesh out what modern television sci fi actually looks like (and nobody can say the Expanse books and show were anything but a fabulous success); since the Witcher is already successful, the chances of someone picking up battletech as a setting ripe for adaptation are much higher.

Edited by pbiggz, 12 October 2022 - 11:55 AM.

#46 Knownswift

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 269 posts

Posted 12 October 2022 - 02:51 PM

TBF, marvel has basically over saturated the market they popularized. The "wokeness" isn't what is slowing their sales, and it isn't everything that keeps them out of the chinese market.

I would watch a battletech show, but not if it is straight up just Davion vs Ming the Merciless.

Actually I need Giancarlo Esposito to be the bad guy. https://en.wikipedia...ncarlo_Esposito

Also, I hated that they ended The Expanse TV show on some boring *** human war ****. Epic fail.

Edited by Knownswift, 12 October 2022 - 02:51 PM.

#47 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,687 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 12 October 2022 - 03:33 PM

View PostKnownswift, on 12 October 2022 - 02:51 PM, said:

TBF, marvel has basically over saturated the market they popularized. The "wokeness" isn't what is slowing their sales, and it isn't everything that keeps them out of the chinese market.

I would watch a battletech show, but not if it is straight up just Davion vs Ming the Merciless.

Actually I need Giancarlo Esposito to be the bad guy. https://en.wikipedia...ncarlo_Esposito

Also, I hated that they ended The Expanse TV show on some boring *** human war ****. Epic fail.

Now hey, Marco Inaros is going to go down as one of the greatest villains of scifi; he's absolutely chilling and Keon Alexander played him perfectly. You don't often see the psychology of a narcissist so perfectly represented. The show runners get major kudos for actually sticking the landing and finishing the series on their own terms and with respect for the source material, especially after the insults that were Game of Thrones seasons 7 and 8.

Also Babylon's Ashes is one of my favourite books of the series. No Babylon's Ashes slander!

Still, I do agree with you that I wish there was more; I hope to see the Laconia arc on television one day. I still want to see a magnetar class in all its uncanny splendor.

#48 Knownswift

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 269 posts

Posted 12 October 2022 - 04:12 PM

View Postpbiggz, on 12 October 2022 - 03:33 PM, said:

Now hey, Marco Inaros is going to go down as one of the greatest villains of scifi; he's absolutely chilling and Keon Alexander played him perfectly. You don't often see the psychology of a narcissist so perfectly represented. The show runners get major kudos for actually sticking the landing and finishing the series on their own terms and with respect for the source material, especially after the insults that were Game of Thrones seasons 7 and 8.

Also Babylon's Ashes is one of my favourite books of the series. No Babylon's Ashes slander!

Still, I do agree with you that I wish there was more; I hope to see the Laconia arc on television one day. I still want to see a magnetar class in all its uncanny splendor.

His performance was pretty on point, that whole arc was just completely uninteresting when compared to everything before it.

There was some choice casting on the show for sure. Even if you hate most of the characters it kept you watching. The books I haven't touched yet.

#49 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,687 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 12 October 2022 - 04:18 PM

read them, you won't regret it

#50 pattonesque

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 12 October 2022 - 05:57 PM

Expanse was mega-baller, A+++++ sci-fi

#51 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 12 October 2022 - 07:20 PM

The BT IP isn't worth much. If you need to spend 100 mil for a C+ movie, you would not pick this pile of ****.

#52 Meep Meep

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,904 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 12 October 2022 - 07:33 PM

View PostKnownswift, on 11 October 2022 - 12:23 AM, said:

Because no studio wants to deal with this.

Posted Image

Since this keeps getting brought up I don't really understand what is wrong with it? Can there be no ugly men of oriental heritage in positions of power in the battletech universe?

Would this man not merit a spot on the cast? And if now then why?

Posted Image

I don't see any particularly attractive actors in this entire hilariously enjoyable oriental action movie.

#53 Bowelhacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 922 posts
  • LocationKooken's Pleasure Pit

Posted 12 October 2022 - 11:21 PM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 11 October 2022 - 08:54 AM, said:

Honestly, I think "Robot Jox" is why they never made a Battletech movie. It flopped, it was BAD. Studios fled from the genre.

Go watch "Dougram, Fang of the Sun" if you can find it streaming.

You take that back. Robot Jox is ******* awesome.

#54 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,736 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 13 October 2022 - 12:48 AM

View Postpbiggz, on 12 October 2022 - 10:56 AM, said:

You start it somewhere between the Succession Wars, following a group of mercs on the *** end of the Periphery - think Firefly (or Cowboy Bebop, or - yes - Expanse) with giant mecha. Then you scale it up in following seasons.
Mechwarrior 3's intro narration would be a helpful primer for the audience: https://www.youtube...._u7e6rUsTRN65nj

Edited by Horseman, 13 October 2022 - 12:49 AM.

#55 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,378 posts

Posted 13 October 2022 - 02:02 AM

Kung Fu Hustle is a great fun movie and there were sidecharacters that were certainly charming.

I love the scene in the doorway when they try to throw the knifes...it is so hilarious! Posted Image

Edited by Thorqemada, 13 October 2022 - 02:09 AM.

#56 Knownswift

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 269 posts

Posted 13 October 2022 - 10:06 AM

View PostMeep Meep, on 12 October 2022 - 07:33 PM, said:

Since this keeps getting brought up I don't really understand what is wrong with it? Can there be no ugly men of oriental heritage in positions of power in the battletech universe?

Doesn't understand what a offensive racial caricature is, posts asian actors and asks if they're a caricature of themselves.

Posted Image

Edited by Knownswift, 13 October 2022 - 10:10 AM.

#57 Meep Meep

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,904 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 13 October 2022 - 10:29 AM

View PostKnownswift, on 13 October 2022 - 10:06 AM, said:

Doesn't understand what a offensive racial caricature is, posts asian actors and asks if they're a caricature of themselves.

Posted Image

I think you are confusing some badly drawn artwork(which is a hallmark of battletech btw) with a conscious effort to make an offensive racial caricature. Why do you feel that since the artist was obviously bad and decided to draw an ugly oriental face instead of a beautiful or handsome one its racist? This is why I posted up that pic and the movie clip. I remember the english dub of shaolin soccer was on the cancel list for a bit back when the woke train first pulled in as they were looking for any and all targets and the producers shut them down by saying the goofy english dub was on purpose. The funny thing is it always seems to be western people who get bent out of shape by this stuff. The other races don't really seem to care all that much. Thicker skin and better educated I suppose.

#58 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,076 posts

Posted 13 October 2022 - 10:35 AM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 11 October 2022 - 07:54 PM, said:

Well hobbits were based off Tolkien’s expression of British country folk in the early 20th century. And wouldn’t you know it, there were dark skinned country folk in southern England then too.

But the real answer to your question is “representation”. We can discuss that in off topic forum if anyone cares to start a thread, but I’d point out that FASA, the original makers of the Battletech genre, were always top notch about representation and positive portrayals.

i think you will encounter problems with stereotypes of asian culture represented by kuritia/liao factions.

i remember when cloud atlas got slammed for using yellowface. but they were trying to push the "were all connected" message, by showing lineage of the characters through each time period. and it was worth seeing agent smith in a dress and halle berry play an old asian man.

View PostfeeWAIVER, on 11 October 2022 - 08:32 PM, said:

My theory is that Sam Jackson is largely to blame.
Before Sam Jackson was Nick Fury, audiences largely rejected movies that casted their roles for "diversity".
It was the charisma of Sam Jackson, and the goodwill people have for him, that opened the floodgates for more of that.

Also keep in mind that everything we are seeing now was written, cast, and produced during a year that cities burned in politically endorsed race riots- so there's a small delay between culture and media.

Box office results speak for themselves. The market will correct.

That said, Rings of Power is freakin good. And any youtuber who reviews every episode to only complain is a completely disingenuous grifter that only wants your clicks.

thats probibly the only reason i watched any of the marvel movies. if were being honest. race swaps are ok if it is done because the actor better fits the role than other actors competing for the role. thats fine, the better actor should get the job, because thats how you get great movies. when you send a good actor packing and replace them with a less good actor that meets the quotas, then you crossed the line of putting ideology over art. recent macbeth adaptations also show this. denzel washington was impressive in that roll, prior to that i saw a version with scottish actors, and it was less impressive as a film.

dune '21 gender/race swapped liet kynes. and while i think the part was acted well, it necessitated changing the story. he was supposed to be beaten, interrogated, and thrown into the arrakis desert to die an unheroic and pointless death (this was to highlight the dangers of playing messiah as foreshadowing for the rest of the story). this would have not flown too well with a black/female actor, so they made her death a bit more heroic. you needed to save the white savior (as woke newspeak puts it), even though you could have used an actor of mediterranean descent to play paul (which would have been more accurate to the book), but i think they made the right choice with chalamet. its hard to find young actors with acting chops.

there is a subset of youtubers who call out bad movies, sometimes they miss the mark. im no tolkien fan, and after being burned by got, i think im done with the fantasy genre. but when they completely ruin franchises like star trek and star wars (which i grew up with), destroy old characters to prop up more diverse ones in their place, or abandon good writing for contrived scripts that shoehorn in hard left messaging wherever possible. i have to draw the line at bashing fans when they call out bad stuff. those people pay their salaries and should not be treated like dirt and accused of being racist/sexist/whatever when you dont like their feedback. recent seasons of doctor who was terrible, not because they gender swapped the doctor, but because they didnt develop the characters very well, especially the companions, and then they tried to retcon the complete lore of a show thats been on tv since the kennedy assassination. that disrespects the works of those who came before while simultaneously riding on their coat tails.

everything should be a meritocracy. if you got the chops you get the role. thats a lot better than type casting or meeting some quota. it is also completely colorbind with reguards to race and gender, which is what you want in a truely progressive society.

View Postjjm1, on 11 October 2022 - 09:45 PM, said:

I would like to see a BT movie.

But I'd want to keep the BT community at a reaaally long arms length during its writing so it's not ruined by our terrible, terrible ideas.

what makes you think they wont bake their terrible ideas into it.

Edited by LordNothing, 13 October 2022 - 01:24 PM.

#59 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,687 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 13 October 2022 - 10:36 AM

Old battletech definitely portrayed asian people in an unflattering light. House davion was full of beautiful blonde haired blue eyed european protagonists who did no wrong and everyone loved; houses kurita and liao were filled with authoritarian madmen and blood crazed lunatics. That's not cool.

Its better now, far better, but, if you expect to see any screen adaptation, especially of 3025 era battletech (and that is where they should start), there are going to be changes; that's almost a certainty.

Edited by pbiggz, 13 October 2022 - 10:36 AM.

#60 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,076 posts

Posted 13 October 2022 - 10:44 AM

View PostKnownswift, on 12 October 2022 - 02:51 PM, said:

lol. there was never going to be a big battle with aliens in this show (having read the books). the premise of the books/show is what happens when you give a monkey a machine gun. if you were expecting a generic run of the mill space opera, then perhaps this is not the show for you. go binge farscape.

also there are 3 books they didn't cover, it wasn't supposed to end here, and there are rumors kicking around of continuing/expanding the series. there are some good space battles there and the monkies do get bigger machine guns.

Edited by LordNothing, 13 October 2022 - 11:25 AM.

25 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 25 guests, 0 anonymous users