• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Meta
  • The Meta
  • 1,375 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationTurkey/Sivas

Posted 14 March 2023 - 03:31 PM

I do not want to give examples from other online games. but usually when i play an online game i play for 1-2 hours. in 1 match

Is there any way to extend this time?

#102 BLACKR0SE

• The Meta
  • The Meta
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationTurkey/Sivas

Posted 14 March 2023 - 03:48 PM

5 minutes of game searching.
5 minutes loading, counter
5 minutes game
2-3 minutes of loading
5 minutes game

Why is the game so short?
I don't mean my performance.
Why do I always have to leave, enter?

I wish I could play until morning without leaving the game.

#103 simon1812

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 531 posts

Posted 14 March 2023 - 03:55 PM

View PostNeckWorrier, on 13 March 2023 - 08:35 AM, said:

Would love to see 8v8 dropdeck solo only. Too many times 12v12 is ruined by a bad/good group matching against each other resulting in a 12-2 or 12-0 game

"Bad group matching"...really? Not bad players that are slow to get the hang of it? Not players who want go go lone wolf? Not player that are still learning the game? Or just player that downright stink bananas? That dont communicate nor can follow intructions because following someone elses lead is not fun? (But losing is apparently?)Ok just checking

Edited by simon1812, 14 March 2023 - 04:08 PM.

#104 The Chancelor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 160 posts

Posted 14 March 2023 - 10:55 PM

View PostTAMTAMBABY, on 14 March 2023 - 03:24 PM, said:

I would enjoy it more if the games were longer.

Try faction play then.

#105 Vsolid

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 8 posts
  • LocationOn your 6, weapons hot

Posted 15 March 2023 - 12:25 AM

View PostCrashburn, on 12 March 2023 - 01:22 PM, said:

Here are my thoughts on MM. I can only speak for the matches I usually get. But if I can correctly guess the match outcome (9 out of 10x) at match start just by the names I see on each 12 man, it isn't balanced, nor is MM working properly. If it's that easy to predict, then Tier 1 matches shouldn't be hard to balance.

MM: There are many matches with groups where 1 side has 5 or 6 elite comp level Tier 1 players. Players from units like JGX/EMP/ABIN/G-NX, etc. Whereas, the other team doesn't have a single player from a unit of comparable skill/stature. I'll also add the caveat that there may be a couple extra elite players that I don't recognize (EU/OCE server players). So that's 5/6 elite players on 1 team and the other team has at best maybe 2 mid tier 1 but usually not from an elite unit. You can guess what the result is. Usually I'll see this 5 or 6 matches in a row. I just can't see how PGI can defend MM and say this is balanced, and the best they can do.

Sean's video touched on this point slightly when he mentioned MM grouping Data (playing solo) being grouped with Sean's 4 man group. Later on Matt mentioned how group play was tweaked and now only allows a total of 4 grouped players on each team. So either 1 4-man, 3-man or 2 2-man teams.

The problem with MM is that it manages to team up 1 or more solo elite Tier 1 players in the queues that already have an elite 2,3,4-man group. This should never be a solvable solution in MM but it occurs consistently. In a group queue solution if you have an elite 2x2, 3, or 4 man team, MM should never throw extra elite Solo players on the same team as the elite groups.

I think MM could fix this by first coming up with it's 2 - 12 man teams in a first pass. And then once it's locks in the 24 players for the QP match. Have MM do a secondary pass, where it checks the groups for the elite players and then if it sees let's say a 6v2 spread of elite players. It swaps the solo elite players from 1 team to the the other in a 1 for 1 swap.

So Team 1: originally had 6 elite players. Team 2: has 2 elite players. Team 1 elite's are comprised of a 4 -man and 2 solo's. MM on the 2nd pass would identify the two solo's and then try to swap them to team 2, switching out the same weight class of mech they are in for 2 solo players from team 2 who are not either of their elite players. This would make it 4v4 elite players per team. Also, PGI should be able to identify the top 200/500/1000 (the cutoff being whatever PGI/Cauldron deems plausible) players that would allow them to identify and swap Elite players to correctly balance teams.

In the end I think this makes sense, now is it easy or plausible to code into the game (i don't know), but I believe it makes sense. Especially if we want to keep group/solo queue merged.

Or perhaps create a new Tier (Tier 0) and this Tier is not one you can obtain by grinding in the game. Either Tier 0 players are manually entered by PGI (elite comp unit players only designated as Tier 0, or it's a straight userbase drop of the top 200/500 players in game. Then adjust MM to require Tier 0 players be evenly distributed between teams, as best you can regardless of Mech class.

I'm kind of curious as to what other's players thoughts are on this. Do you agree...think this is fair...does it make sense on at least a balance basis?

I know guys like Gas Guzzler, Kotis, K H A N, Navid and the player base on here who are part of the Cauldron, read these forums. I'm interested in what you guys think since I lump you in as part of the "elite" Tier 1 group of players. I'm not sure how much PGI reads this, but maybe if one of you who have the ear of PGI, can pass some of these points along, maybe 1/10 of what I wrote will give them a new perspective or a partial solution they haven't thought of yet.

Basically what you are advocating here is something that is probably codeable since it exists in other games, but your version is a bit too convoluted. What you want is an ELO system that isnt necessarily the sole factor in MM and is only taken into account on the 2nd pass.
I think in an ideal world where this game has a population to maintain it, a pure ELO based system would be great, but we dont live in that world. So a hidden ELO value that the player cant see based on something like maybe leaderboard position(?) that MM only cares about for the 2nd pass once it collects 24 players to balance out groups might just work.
The issue then becomes, does PGI have the resources to do this?

EDIT: Games like Call of Duty already have hidden values like this for skill based matchmaking that players arent aware of unless they understand the game at a deeper level than the average casual player. It basically doesnt affect their casual experience at all.

Edited by Vsolid, 15 March 2023 - 12:27 AM.

#106 hmat77

• Pip
  • The Unstoppable
  • The Unstoppable
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 March 2023 - 12:38 AM

In the case of a game using several mechs, could it be possible to have access to the garage during the game? This would avoid a blocked dropdesk and would allow to adapt one's strategy according to the map and possibly to the opposing players.
Greetings,

#107 Vsolid

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 8 posts
  • LocationOn your 6, weapons hot

Posted 15 March 2023 - 12:45 AM

View PostLockheed_, on 14 March 2023 - 09:39 PM, said:

Just some feedback for PGI as drop decks in QP came up a few times:
The major reason why I don't touch EQ or FP is drop decks.
I do not want to bother with having to decide which mechs I want to put in the drop deck and then having to grind through 4 mechs on the same map with the same players when I just want to pick a mech that I feel like playing and hop in a quick 5-6 minute match.
The day QP gets drop decks that's the day I quit MWO.

Match times probably wont be drastically higher with drop decks enabled in QP except for Skirmish. Reason being with more lives to spend, objectives actually start to mean something more than a designated suicide gridsquare where your teamates who foolishly think the gamemode isnt last team standing go to start the enemy team's snowball.
Something else dropdecks could do is actually allow QP teams to roll back a snowball. Most games ive played in MWO are decided by a single engagement and from then on its clean up. 4 lives allows for more mistakes.

The real problem that could arise with dropdecks is spawn camping, but for anyone who's played War Thunder before like me, you already know that the match was already over by that point anyways.

EDIT: I would also be concerned with how they introduce the concept of drop decks to new players. It isnt explained to them currently in-game. Maybe it would prompt you to create one when you try to search for a match for the first time?

Edited by Vsolid, 15 March 2023 - 12:48 AM.

#108 BLACKR0SE

• The Meta
  • The Meta
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationTurkey/Sivas

Posted 15 March 2023 - 03:12 AM

View PostThe Chancelor, on 14 March 2023 - 10:55 PM, said:

Try faction play then.

I see how long people wait in line here. Thanks, I won't.
I don't want to wait 20 minutes to get into a game.

#109 Firestorm92

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 March 2023 - 03:59 AM

View PostAlreech, on 14 March 2023 - 11:17 AM, said:

Drop decks allow the player tho choose their mechs with regard of the map and gamemode.
But there are no dropdecks in quickplay

I know but still making your drop deck with having vs not having the map and mode information are two different things. Would that improve on the issue? Yes but another question is, by how much? Definitely no to 4-decks, because it would partially kill the purpose of the QP, simply it wouldn't be quick. Also spawn areas and getting spawn camped is not very nice for sure. This is an already addressed issue on all MMOFPSes. Yea Leopards can fire lasers but range is just too short to be an effective protection over the spawn area. 2-decks look more viable but you may need 4-decks to bring in enough variety of builds for any map and mode. There is also issue of tonnage for said decks and how these would fare with MM in QP. Groups under these changes? Would make things even more complicated from the looks of it.

Yes, quickplay is build in a way to prevent teamplay as much as possible.
Teams are made up with random players -> no trust & bad communication
No respawn -> game over if your mech gets destroyed while helping other players or taking a risk for the team
Putting the own survival and K/D as top priority instead the teams victory is the logical outcome to that.

I'm not talking about comp level or even friend group level of teamplay, but rather trying to play by simple guidelines of teamplay where you try to contribute under two areas of interest: individual performance and contribution to teamplay with individual means of coordination. Currently it is weighted way too much on the individual side, one of the reasons why chaos happens every time lol

Even Assault is too confusing for the uncoordinated teams of quickplay.
In Assault both teams have to Attack and Defend at the same time, the team that splits to do both things is usually the losing team.

The best working modes in quickplay are Skirmish (Team deathmatch, no objectives except killing) and Domination (one clear objective).
Assault needs at least to be reworked to one team attacking and the other team defending.

I agree on Assault and Skirmish, that's why I recommended Skirmish as single mode and reworked Assault as an alternative approach. Not as it is now.

IMHO MWO needs a kind of faction quickplay with dropdecks (3 mechs, 170 - 180 tons) and max group size of 4 players.
No planet selection, but matchmaking like in quickplay.
Still faction locked techs for the dropdeck.

Such a mode would be IMHO attractive for group players that don't do faction play and for solo player that like drop decks and earn faction rewards.
The side effect of such a mode would be the increased number of players ready for a call to arms in faction play. Ready means = faction selected and dropdecks aviable.

Faction or not being a different thing, but a happy medium between these two queues like you proposed looks appealing towards groups. But then again, "How it will affect queues for the present two?" is a question mark there. Also having groups and solos under the same queue is recreation of QP problem with groups under a new queue. From what I can see, looks like both FP and potential FQP you mentioned need to have Tier requirements or Tier grading getting reworked to prevent players getting clustered around bottom or top tier(s), making middle tier(s) relatively obsolete (which in turn can partially render MM useless as well) and creating a healthy base tier where you can accept people to FP/FQP.

#110 BLACKR0SE

• The Meta
  • The Meta
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationTurkey/Sivas

Posted 15 March 2023 - 05:01 AM

actually the battle of the assulth mechler ie atlas etc. it's taking quite a long time. Plus armor layers can be increased.

Normal game takes 5 -7 minutes.
The battle of the titans lasts for 20-30 minutes.

If you think about it, you can find many things.

Maybe a mod for the titans?

#111 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 15 March 2023 - 05:05 AM

View PostTAMTAMBABY, on 14 March 2023 - 03:48 PM, said:

5 minutes game
2-3 minutes of loading
5 minutes game

Why is the game so short?
I don't mean my performance.
Why do I always have to leave, enter?

I wish I could play until morning without leaving the game.

-Specifically to -5 minutes of loading-
If you have having that issue then its a combination of you not improving out of tier 5 combined with primarily dropping with one of the highest drop % weight classes.

If there's not a high tier5/4 population online and dropping you have to wait for MM gates to open.
If the assault/heavy drop % is high (like it generally is) then you have to wait for more MM gates to open.

I still have, going up into tier 2, under 1 minute waits for a drop to get sorted on the weekdays - drop 99% mediums. 2 minutes is about the longest I see. When the medium % spikes I drop in a light.

-Can't really do anything about your low spec computer if it's taking you 5 minutes to load the game and 2-3 minutes every time into the mechlab and match other than suggest you look into better hard drives and maybe a faster set of processors.

-Lower tier matches are generally going to be shorter because shifting damage, targeted fire/destruction and positioning really isn't baked into player skill for the lower skill players and you are often matched up against higher skill players that understand those things simply because of the lower population. You'll get a couple minutes added on average per match by continuing to develop better skills and habits for the game.
Also fp at least used to be longer matches, but its never been a great environment for low skill players. Most of my unit quit player during my break from the game so I haven't even bothered seeing how much worse it's gotten other than folks say getting a match at all is like pulling teeth now.

You will also enjoy the game much more if you find a few people that speak your language to play with.

#112 BLACKR0SE

• The Meta
  • The Meta
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationTurkey/Sivas

Posted 15 March 2023 - 05:24 AM

View Postsycocys, on 15 March 2023 - 05:05 AM, said:

-Specifically to -5 minutes of loading-
If you have having that issue then its a combination of you not improving out of tier 5 combined with primarily dropping with one of the highest drop % weight classes.

If there's not a high tier5/4 population online and dropping you have to wait for MM gates to open.
If the assault/heavy drop % is high (like it generally is) then you have to wait for more MM gates to open.

I still have, going up into tier 2, under 1 minute waits for a drop to get sorted on the weekdays - drop 99% mediums. 2 minutes is about the longest I see. When the medium % spikes I drop in a light.

-Can't really do anything about your low spec computer if it's taking you 5 minutes to load the game and 2-3 minutes every time into the mechlab and match other than suggest you look into better hard drives and maybe a faster set of processors.

-Lower tier matches are generally going to be shorter because shifting damage, targeted fire/destruction and positioning really isn't baked into player skill for the lower skill players and you are often matched up against higher skill players that understand those things simply because of the lower population. You'll get a couple minutes added on average per match by continuing to develop better skills and habits for the game.
Also fp at least used to be longer matches, but its never been a great environment for low skill players. Most of my unit quit player during my break from the game so I haven't even bothered seeing how much worse it's gotten other than folks say getting a match at all is like pulling teeth now.

You will also enjoy the game much more if you find a few people that speak your language to play with.

I am aware of these.

And I have good equipment.

Crucial P3 2TB PCIe Gen3 3D NAND NVMe M.2 SSD, up to 3500MB/s - CT2000P3SSD8
i5 10400f
AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT
61 megabit 1 pc cable connection internet.

I am having fun playing the game. I am not complaining about it.

people always want better.
It's not something you see today.
No need to be surprised...

It could be me writing these, it could be someone else.
Posted Image

A person's character cannot be changed by a game when it comes to the social environment.

I just think it's good to try new things.

Mine is just a thought, an idea.
I am a person. What matters is what the community thinks.

#113 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 15 March 2023 - 07:25 AM

View PostTAMTAMBABY, on 15 March 2023 - 05:24 AM, said:

I am aware of these.

And I have good equipment.

Crucial P3 2TB PCIe Gen3 3D NAND NVMe M.2 SSD, up to 3500MB/s - CT2000P3SSD8
i5 10400f
AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT
61 megabit 1 pc cable connection internet.

You shouldn't be having 5 minute start boot or 3 minute match in/out times unless you are for some reason running a bare minimum of ram or have another issue going on.

I do have a ton of ram (128 gigs), run on an nvme main drive but the game is installed on a 7200 rpm standard drive (not ssd), and it sounds like I'm getting much faster load times from disk than your are with only a little bit better cpu and graphics card.

After the short queues, its less than 30 seconds to map, and almost instant from map countdown to the drop screen for me. The longest part is the initial game boot, but that is mostly due to loading in around 200 mechs as they never sorted out a better way to do that for some reason - and that's maybe 1.5 minutes from clicking the icon and a short pause to put my password in.

-- Also if you are looking for longer sessions finding a group of people to chat with is absolutely crucial. The fact they never added any depth to this game in terms of modes to play means the social aspect is really the only thing that can hold people in the game for longer sessions to mitigate the boredom of playing the same exact thing over every match. I don't play much longer than you in a session because most of the people I enjoyed playing the game with have left.

Edited by sycocys, 15 March 2023 - 07:29 AM.

#114 Roodkapje

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 577 posts

Posted 15 March 2023 - 10:53 AM

View PostAlreech, on 13 March 2023 - 12:21 PM, said:

Solo quickplay is not a team game.
12 random players put one one side for one match are not a team, they are just 12 random players that don't give a dam about their teammates because those are gone the next match anyway.

For bad/low skilled players that is 100% true!

However...

Players that actually know what they are doing are a totally different story! Posted Image

And that's also a wish I have for a very long time in MWO : Queue up with the current team for another round of kicking some new team's butt!!! Posted Image

View PostC337Skymaster, on 13 March 2023 - 07:43 PM, said:

Jumping in real quick before I get a chance to catch up to raise a concern over the builds that appear to be on the Fafnir and Mad Cat: MG boat 100 tonner, and UAC/2 boat 90 tonner. If these are actual builds on these two 'mechs, I'm worried about leaning that hard into the meta. Crael is already severely overperforming, and UAC/2 spam is already pretty devastating, especially when put out by a 'mech that can carry 6 or more cannons with sufficient residual weight for ammo.

I feel as though we need fewer boats, and more variety on new 'mechs. If the images are consistent with their final builds, both of those 'mechs are ballistic boats with way too many hardpoints...

DAKKA builds are AWESOME!!! Posted Image

However...

There is no way I would EVER use a Fafnir for such a build because it's like walking around in a building that's slow AF and gets hit from all over the map! Posted Image

The MCII is a much better option and we already have such an option : The MCII-B Posted Image

View PostFirestorm92, on 14 March 2023 - 04:15 AM, said:

There was a very important statement that caught my attention: "We can't control player behavior."
So issues about this statement are:
- Players cannot control when and how their clients crash, and also can't help it if they are not able to reconnect due to various reasons.
- Players cannot control the way they choose their mechs and builds with regards to map and game mode, simply because they lack the necessary information before queuing up to do so and fact they HAVE TO pick their mech/build BEFORE voting for a map and mode on a poll.
- Way players rewarded and punished is simply not well balanced
- Previous issue also creating further issues of carrots and sticks with regards to:
  • Commitment to the objectives in special modes (I'm taking Skirmish as the default main here and treating others as special)
  • Commitment to team play
  • Because of the issues around previous two, partially or fully abandoning these two and committing to being a survivalist
As you can see player behavior is actually being controlled, but in the WRONG WAY. Because you cornered them from all sides with overcomplicated set of rules which, in conjunction with your application of it, doesn't perform IN THE WAY IT'S SUPPOSED TO. Adding problems about MM (which is also being fed by the result of previous issues, which is, simply good amount of players that are trapped in the confusion, being under ranked) makes it a complete mess.

The above part of your post is pretty good, but the rest of it not soo much... Sorry! Posted Image

View PostThe Chancelor, on 14 March 2023 - 05:08 AM, said:

LOL Am I supposed to read all of this? ^^

Read faster and it's not that much! Posted Image

View PostFirestorm92, on 14 March 2023 - 06:12 AM, said:

Came back for a little addition of an issue I forgot about. Which is map design, and which we know that you are working towards. These maps also inviting chaos along with player behavior. If we want players to make use of covers, we should give them enough amount and properly placed covers and not let people snipe across almost the whole map or rain down missiles behind covers for example. Better design can yield more consistent results for players and provides room for different options.

Good point! Posted Image

Instead of pushing people into playing "meta" and taking away the freedom of variety. Which in turn can rewrite new situational metas about the particular map too to broaden the ways to go about it.

There will always be some kind of meta so you can't take that away no matter how hard you try! Posted Image

Also there are already enough "I don't care if my Loadout sucks, I just want to have fun!" players wandering around in games and making your PSR drop because of loss after loss... Posted Image

Yes, quickplay is build in a way to prevent teamplay as much as possible.
Teams are made up with random players -> no trust & bad communication
No respawn -> game over if your mech gets destroyed while helping other players or taking a risk for the team

Those are just bad players in general!

Putting the own survival and K/D as top priority instead the teams victory is the logical outcome to that.

K/D chasers should really consider leaving this game and never ever return again! Posted Image

NO ONE CARES ABOUT YOUR K/D !!!

Even Assault is too confusing for the uncoordinated teams of quickplay.
In Assault both teams have to Attack and Defend at the same time, the team that splits to do both things is usually the losing team.

Assault is weird because there is no actual Assault ?!

Incursion or Siege are the better Assault alternatives IMHO Posted Image

The best working modes in quickplay are Skirmish (Team deathmatch, no objectives except killing) and Domination (one clear objective).

Domination is best to avoid n00bs wandering off on their own and die a horrible death! Posted Image

Assault needs at least to be reworked to one team attacking and the other team defending.

+ something that is actually Assaulted !!

View Postsycocys, on 14 March 2023 - 02:48 PM, said:

Once you figure out some effective builds for a style of engagement you like and do less of trying to play/figure out builds for every mech in the game and a lot more playing the game.

You will also start to move yourself towards better matches and competition.

AMEN! Posted Image

View Postsimon1812, on 14 March 2023 - 03:55 PM, said:

"Bad group matching"...really?

Not bad players that are slow to get the hang of it?
Not players who want go go lone wolf?
Not player that are still learning the game?
Or just player that downright stink bananas?

That dont communicate nor can follow intructions because following someone elses lead is not fun? (But losing is apparently?)Ok just checking

My kind of guy! Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

View Posthmat77, on 15 March 2023 - 12:38 AM, said:

In the case of a game using several mechs, could it be possible to have access to the garage during the game?

This would avoid a blocked dropdesk and would allow to adapt one's strategy according to the map and possibly to the opposing players.

When you play Faction Warfare you can edit your Drop Ship while waiting for the game to start so that shouldn't be an issue to implement IMHO Posted Image

View PostVsolid, on 15 March 2023 - 12:45 AM, said:

The real problem that could arise with dropdecks is spawn camping, but for anyone who's played War Thunder before like me, you already know that the match was already over by that point anyways.

Battlefield 2 and spawn camping was horrible unless some script was running on the Server to prevent it by simply killing or kicking people off the server when they don't follow the rules!

EDIT: I would also be concerned with how they introduce the concept of drop decks to new players.
It isnt explained to them currently in-game.

Maybe it would prompt you to create one when you try to search for a match for the first time?

MWO has a very high and steep learning curve in general so I think that there is a lot of room for improvement there for years, but that has never happend sadly...

#115 Firestorm92

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 March 2023 - 02:28 PM

View PostRoodkapje, on 15 March 2023 - 10:53 AM, said:

The above part of your post is pretty good, but the rest of it not soo much... Sorry! Posted Image

It's cool, to each their own. That part is I believe which many can agree on, so, fair. Thanks for your input.

There will always be some kind of meta so you can't take that away no matter how hard you try! Posted Image

As I said, problem is rather being pushed into "meta", not that meta exists, I even mentioned how reworking stuff can create new metas in the process even. I just pointed out the variety we got in the game and its purpose. Forcefully narrowing down options doesn't help, that's why balancing and map design are crucial.

Also there are already enough "I don't care if my Loadout sucks, I just want to have fun!" players wandering around in games and making your PSR drop because of loss after loss... Posted Image

As long as you have not overbuild it in any way, any loadout can shine with a good pilot drawing out it's potential. If pilot is bad, I'm afraid even a fun build can't help them to have fun. It is the same with sports, it starts to become real fun once you start to get good (to a certain level) at it. I also have my balls to the wall builds but they can actually deliver with me.

K/D chasers should really consider leaving this game and never ever return again! Posted Image

PREACH!

Incursion or Siege are the better Assault alternatives IMHO Posted Image

I'm relatively new so idk about Siege but when talking about Assault rework, Incursion was the first thing that came to my mind.
Specifically about base and its defenses, enemy shouldn't be able to straight sneak cap, which can give other team time to react.

#116 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 15 March 2023 - 05:39 PM

View PostFirestorm92, on 15 March 2023 - 02:28 PM, said:

I'm relatively new so idk about Siege but when talking about Assault rework, Incursion was the first thing that came to my mind.
Specifically about base and its defenses, enemy shouldn't be able to straight sneak cap, which can give other team time to react.

I don't think I've played siege either other than the FP mode (unless that's the reference).

Assault "could" be changed to have a large defend zone for either side that counts down if its not occupied by its team (loss at 0) and shifting drop points so a lance of assault/heavy was set for defense while two lighter ones were pushing the base.
-shifting/splitting off drop points could help pretty much every qp mode and map honestly. Could all but eliminate the deathball, and make some hard shifts to the meta builds and strategies if your lance might have to contend with a lance in the first minute or so of the match.
Conquest would be massively better if 3 lances were split to contend over 3 points across the center out of the gate and the last two were either granted at a slow rate or a choice to back track for depending on how your first encounter went.

#117 MookieDog

• PipPipPip
  • Gunjin
  • Gunjin
  • 93 posts
  • LocationDC

Posted 17 March 2023 - 06:34 PM

I am trying to listen to this and its bittersweet.

I do like a lot of what the Cauldron, has done in the past. What I don't understand is how the Cauldron comes to its conclusions. There was supposed to be input from players across the spectrum, however what it looks like is, that is not quite the case.

I am not sure if it the Cauldron has ever been listed as who's in it. DATA and Navid were both mentioned. but who are the other players in the Cauldron. Don't get me wrong, I want no part of being in the Cauldron, I just want to know how they come to some of their conclusions. What drives different weapons being buffed or nerfed? Is that the Cauldron or is that PGI? It was mentioned perception is reality, look at the unit tags or people associated with specific teams, who are able to either make or influence changes. The input still does seem to be as open as it mentioned to be.

It is odd to me that when I was watching Comp play, how the matches have influenced weapon passes. I am not saying that its good or bad, I just noticed it. For example: the stats (range) on a C-LPL versus a CERLL. Odd but ok...

Still listening to the Podcast.. more to follow

Edited by MookieDog, 17 March 2023 - 06:37 PM.

#118 Alreech

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 18 March 2023 - 07:06 AM

Those are just bad players in general!

It doesn't matter how good or bad a player in a random mixed up team is, the base problem of the "i don't know and i don't trust my teammates" remains.

Good players in quickplay survive longer because they know the maps and the unwritten rules how to surive in an uncoordinated team with bad coms.
And those unwritten rules are simple:
  • don't fall back
  • don't help teammates that have fallen back
  • don't expect help
  • don't trust other players to support you.

The elo system of MWO cares only about player damage.
Players rise in the tiers if the outperform most of the other players in the match by doing more damage.
Staying alive is the key to that, and that also improves the K/D.

Incursion or Siege are the better Assault alternatives IMHO

Incursion has the same problem as Assault: both teams have to attack AND defend.
Doing both things at once without one player coordinating the team is hard.

Siege has clear Attacker/Defender roles, that needs less coordination.

Battlefield 2 and spawn camping was horrible unless some script was running on the Server to prevent it by simply killing or kicking people off the server when they don't follow the rules!

Yes, i don't get it why PGI didn't used team based auto kill zones to prevent spawn camping.
The other option would have been AI turrets (those are in the game) ect, ect...

#119 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 18 March 2023 - 12:47 PM

View PostAlreech, on 18 March 2023 - 07:06 AM, said:

And those unwritten rules are simple:
  • don't fall back
  • don't help teammates that have fallen back
  • don't expect help
  • don't trust other players to support you.
2 is a bit more nuanced. Some of those teammates will be too far out of position to be supported, some of them will be up against too strong opposing force to survive. If you can provide fire support without risking your own mech, by all means do so - but losing more mechs in a futile attempt to rescue one that is doomed no matter what is not going to advantage your team in any way.

Yes, i don't get it why PGI didn't used team based auto kill zones to prevent spawn camping.
The other option would have been AI turrets (those are in the game) ect, ect...

In modes that feature respawns, all dropships have turrets and will fire on opponents near the drop zone.

#120 TWLT S

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 59 posts

Posted 19 March 2023 - 01:27 AM

Actually I am very suprised by the dropdeck thing. What should be the difference btw. the Faction Play QP modes (skirmisch, assault etc.) and a potential QP with dropdecks?!

And the other thing: I really like dropdeck events. However I have to admit that I dont participate as much as I d like because preparing the dropdecks and the longer matchtime confilicts to often with realllife. My conclusion is let QP as it is and rather work on FP to be easier to access and easier to understand.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users