Patch Notes - 1.4.276.0 - 18-April-2023

316 replies to this topic

#181 KursedVixen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 3,164 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 19 April 2023 - 08:51 PM

View PostC337Skymaster, on 19 April 2023 - 02:57 PM, said:

While all that's true, the more advanced equipment wasn't called by the same name. Beagle Active Probe is always Beagle Active Probe, and is always 1.5 tons and 2 crits. The upgraded equipment is called "Bloodhound Active Probe". The Clans made their own advancement at the same time, or a little later, which is called "CEWS", which I think means "Combat Electronic Warfare System" (or Clan EWS?), which is a combination of active probe and ecm in one piece of equipment.
The watchdog CEWS is a light active probe and ecm in one package weighting in at 1.5 tons and 2 slots since we have the light active probe it's kinda redundant.

View PostC337Skymaster, on 19 April 2023 - 03:37 PM, said:

Omnimechs are too limiting. Battlemechs are Meta. Imagine what twisted series of events had to happen to make THAT a true statement...
yeah the set of 8 thing really ruined omnimechs either put the quirks on the omnipods or give us a like set of 4 or somthing bonus.

#182 Voice of Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 491 posts

Posted 20 April 2023 - 12:32 AM

View PostLockheed_, on 19 April 2023 - 11:39 PM, said:

Got very tired of the senseless spamming quite a while ago. Best thing I can recommend is:
Profile -> Forum Profile -> Edit My Profile -> 'Ignore' Preferences -> Add new user to your list
->TAMTAMBABY -> Ignore: Posts

Thanks for the tip! Didn't think it could be done. But I'll give this guy another chance.

#183 BLACKR0SE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Meta
  • The Meta
  • 1,375 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationTurkey/Sivas

Posted 20 April 2023 - 05:55 AM

View PostLockheed_, on 19 April 2023 - 11:39 PM, said:

Got very tired of the senseless spamming quite a while ago. Best thing I can recommend is:
Profile -> Forum Profile -> Edit My Profile -> 'Ignore' Preferences -> Add new user to your list
->TAMTAMBABY -> Ignore: Posts

It's good that you pointed out this feature, my dear, let me do the same for you.

#184 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 20 April 2023 - 06:28 AM

View PostKursedVixen, on 19 April 2023 - 08:51 PM, said:

yeah the set of 8 thing really ruined omnimechs either put the quirks on the omnipods or give us a like set of 4 or somthing bonus.

The only quirk that I can understand being tied to a set-of-8 is one that makes the stock build work, but goes away when you try to abuse it. In particular: HSL quirks for 'mechs that are rather underpowered, otherwise. The DWF-A's 3x LPL HSL quirk made sense, and specifically as a set-of-8 quirk, since otherwise you could add 9 more energy hardpoints and be cycling groups of 3 LPL's at a time. Expanding it to include ERPPC is overreach, and didn't need to happen.

The TBR-D's 4x SSRM HSL quirk is another one that makes sense as a S08, so you're not moving that quirk over to the TBR-S, and suddenly have a poptart that can fire 4 SSRM6 over a hill without penalty, absolutely obliterating lights and mediums without taking much return fire.

The ammo quirks for the other weapons on those or other omnimechs? Maneuverability? Heat? Yeah, those should be on the omnipods they're associated with.

Or better yet, not have so many quirks in the first place, and bring the entire game back down to base stats, minus one or two quirks for outlying deficiencies (like the armor quirk on the HBK's hunch).

Edited by C337Skymaster, 20 April 2023 - 06:28 AM.

#185 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,664 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 20 April 2023 - 06:55 AM

View PostMagic Pain Glove, on 19 April 2023 - 06:13 PM, said:

DEADALOS5 you were one of the people who in the beginning argued for the inclusion of soup queue . It was statistically proven that addition of soup queue resulted in 5% increase in stomps globally and that was the reason why we got PSR changes added a bit later. So it did result in worse matches on average.

I can back this all up if needed.

Posted Image
What do you think happened in Season 46 ? ( yeah thats right , Soup queue ) It was so impactful that it also directly reflected on mech chassis performance since people were maxing out tonnage mostly skewing wins of heavier chassis in their favor somewhat.

Very interesting chart, indeed! I'm surprised at how level it was for all those seasons and how totally lopsided it immediately became.

#186 DAEDALOS513

• The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,630 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 20 April 2023 - 07:00 AM

View PostStrelok7, on 19 April 2023 - 07:28 PM, said:

Gonna have to be critical here.

-looking at bringing Drop Decks to Quick Play
Stop looking. It is called Quick Play for a reason. I am not staying in game with a lame team, with 4 mech drop deck, for half hour.

-map update
Thumbs down. An example of how not to try to satisfy everyone. Map went form cool, new, interesting, offering new game dynamic. To old, boring million obstructions in a way. Purple barf on the walls x10.

I like the map update.. it was a step in the right direction with the addition of cover.. and I'm def seeing more brawling happening. I also doubt we'll be seeing 1600+ dmg games from lurm boats anymore..

#187 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 20 April 2023 - 07:27 AM

View PostDAEDALOS513, on 20 April 2023 - 07:00 AM, said:

I like the map update.. it was a step in the right direction with the addition of cover.. and I'm def seeing more brawling happening. I also doubt we'll be seeing 1600+ dmg games from lurm boats anymore..

Maybe my eyes are just getting older, but I keep getting sniped on that map, WAY more than brawled, and I can't ever see who the heck is shooting me to shoot back at them.

Snipers seemed to be more of a problem than LRMs before the patch, too.

#188 AmbidXtrousGNOME

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • 103 posts

Posted 20 April 2023 - 08:33 AM

View PostC337Skymaster, on 20 April 2023 - 06:28 AM, said:

Or better yet, not have so many quirks in the first place, and bring the entire game back down to base stats, minus one or two quirks for outlying deficiencies (like the armor quirk on the HBK's hunch).

I like that idea. Zero out the power creep and buff survival for some who might really need it. Challenge players to get better at chassis that don't have ideal hardpoints.

#189 DAEDALOS513

• The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,630 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 20 April 2023 - 08:55 AM

View PostMagic Pain Glove, on 19 April 2023 - 06:13 PM, said:

DEADALOS5 you were one of the people who in the beginning argued for the inclusion of soup queue . It was statistically proven that addition of soup queue resulted in 5% increase in stomps globally and that was the reason why we got PSR changes added a bit later. So it did result in worse matches on average.

I can back this all up if needed.

Posted Image
What do you think happened in Season 46 ? ( yeah thats right , Soup queue ) It was so impactful that it also directly reflected on mech chassis performance since people were maxing out tonnage mostly skewing wins of heavier chassis in their favor somewhat.

One needs to understand why problems with the previous GQ killed it and why solo queue was left alive . One of the reasons why previous Group Q system died is because you could have had five teams of 9 and six teams of 8 players and while you would have enough population to fill a match because of group sizes being unrestricted a match would never be formed.
Uneven unmixable group sizes made it so that even if you had enough population to form matches , matches were not going to get formed because group sizes were unmatchable. A problem that is easily solved by limiting it to groups of 2 and 4 .

At that point one can even enable groups of 8 , but that was another problem with the previous GQ system and a massive mistake on PGIs part since 8 compies ( or 12) like was the case in the past are going to wipe the floor with average mechdads groups or a mix of groups . Especially knowing that there are less of them overall and even if the MM was capable of balancing teams ( and its not atm nor was it before ) there is probably not enough skilled groups of that size that would make matches even.
When you restrict group sizes even without MM there is a higher chance of matches being better balance just by sheer luck of those teams being distributed between 2 sides instead of all of them being on one .

Instead of advocating for a hybrid system back then ( 8v8 with solo opt ins + incentives or 8v8 with solos being dragged in after a 2 minute timer ) we ended up with what we have now which is so bad that you can usually tell which side is going to win esp if you recognize tags on both sides . Both with strong and weak groups that can sway matches one way or the other , with a bunch of solos being stuck there not having as much influence as a 4 player group even if they are a good player. Its hard to carry 4 players who decide to do some **** strat and throw their mechs away and with 4 strong player groups you are fighting for damage since you know its going to be a stomp ahead of time.

You are either clueless or malicious (or both) , either way one of the reasons why we are still discussing this thing at all is because people like you and some others heavily advocated for it and didn't push back when it was time to do so . Resulting in a lot of people quitting the game .When a hybrid system that could have benefited all could have been implemented back then. And now we'r having to re analyze it all again and PGI is pressured to make changes while they are super light on devpower and have forgot how certain things even work under the hud.

Even if true.. I don't think a 5% increase in stomps is worth considering, do you? It's def worth the trade-off for the benefits soup brought, the biggest one being, you can now drop with friends. Imagine that, some of us enjoy playing with friends. This brought people back to the game as evidenced by the many forum messages stating so. Like it or not, it was a necessary evil for a game that was on life support, and it WORKED.

LOW POPULATION was what made group match-making difficult.. this was never a problem when population was in the 4-5k region. Once population began to dwindle.. soup had to be implemented. I agree with the group restrictions for now.

When they tried out 8v8, personally, I didn't enjoy it at all. It didn't feel like a battle.. it was more like scout mode on steroids. Matches were dull because there was less variety on the field and people were more afraid to move so there was less action. Also, with fewer mechs on the field, outcomes were decided much quicker bec whichever team got the first kill or two, they had a huge advantage.. more so than with 12v12.

People have this need to be able to 'name' the thing they hate.. to give it a face, so that they can attack it more directly. Stomps have ALWAYS been a part of the game, (even in MWO's hay day), the causes of which went by many different names.. 'soup queue' is but one of them.This is a complex game with many variables that go into every match.. before we can begin to solve or mitigate stomps, population size must go up so MM can do its job.

Edited by DAEDALOS513, 22 April 2023 - 07:46 AM.

#190 Widowmaker1981

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 20 April 2023 - 09:34 AM

View PostAmbidXtrousGNOME, on 20 April 2023 - 08:33 AM, said:

Challenge players to get better at chassis that don't have ideal hardpoints.

If something is objectively worse because it has bad hardpoints / mounts / hitboxes and it doesnt get anything in return, why would people bother to do that? They just wont use them at all.

#191 Widowmaker1981

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 20 April 2023 - 09:55 AM

View PostDAEDALOS513, on 20 April 2023 - 08:55 AM, said:

Stomps have ALWAYS been a part of the game, (even in MWO's hay day) names..

I think that its inevitable that stomps happen, the large non regenerating HP pools and lack of respawn lead to a snowball effect, because the team with fewer mechs is more likely to be the one to lose the next mech (Less firepower split between more targets, plus the psychological bonus). Imagine if a football team lost a player every time they conceded a goal..

Its also kind of hard to tell what games were stomps from the scoreline - ive seen 12-0 games that were actually good games that were close and could have gone either way, every mech on the enemy team ending up one shot from exploding, and ive seen 12-4 games that were absolutely stupid stomps over in 3 minutes, but a bunch of people blew themselves up or teamkilled being greedy in the frantic race to bag a kill. Match time is probably a better indicator most of the time, i think.

#192 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 20 April 2023 - 10:07 AM

View PostWidowmaker1981, on 20 April 2023 - 09:34 AM, said:

If something is objectively worse because it has bad hardpoints / mounts / hitboxes and it doesnt get anything in return, why would people bother to do that? They just wont use them at all.

Nostalgia. The one thing that's been driving this game for the last 10 years. That's their favorite 'mech from MW2/3/4, MC, MA, BT, TT, etc, and they want to stomp around in it. Maybe Tier 1 only uses the latest Meta and completely ignores everything else. Tiers 2-5 like the 'mechs they like, and don't always care if they're "the best of the best, bar none."

Personally, I play my 'mechs bone-stock, or build missing stock 'mechs on them, and try to play a simulation, rather than an arcade. Given my loyalty to Clan Ghost Bear, I try to focus on the 'mechs that would be found in their touman.

I can only play one 'mech at a time, though, and have very limited hours in the evening. I own 480+ 'mechs, but I'm not likely to give them all equal representation, more because I don't have time for it, and some 'mechs need the XP. The ones that need XP get my playtime. The ones that don't, don't.

#193 AmbidXtrousGNOME

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • 103 posts

Posted 20 April 2023 - 11:58 AM

View PostWidowmaker1981, on 20 April 2023 - 09:34 AM, said:

Very true. That's the sad truth of having 1000+ mechs (or whatever the count is at) and having the most reliable way to make the holy c-bill from dmg done in a match. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

View PostC337Skymaster, on 20 April 2023 - 10:07 AM, said:

Nostalgia. The one thing that's been driving this game for the last 10 years. That's their favorite 'mech from MW2/3/4, MC, MA, BT, TT, etc, and they want to stomp around in it. Maybe Tier 1 only uses the latest Meta and completely ignores everything else. Tiers 2-5 like the 'mechs they like, and don't always care if they're "the best of the best, bar none."

Personally, I play my 'mechs bone-stock, or build missing stock 'mechs on them, and try to play a simulation, rather than an arcade. Given my loyalty to Clan Ghost Bear, I try to focus on the 'mechs that would be found in their touman.

I can only play one 'mech at a time, though, and have very limited hours in the evening. I own 480+ 'mechs, but I'm not likely to give them all equal representation, more because I don't have time for it, and some 'mechs need the XP. The ones that need XP get my playtime. The ones that don't, don't.

I agree. I play my TBRs because I have very fond memories of the MadCat in MW3.

Edited by AmbidXtrousGNOME, 20 April 2023 - 11:59 AM.

#194 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 20 April 2023 - 12:44 PM

Anybody know what the Thursday Afternoon Maintenance is about?

#195 Rondoe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 249 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 20 April 2023 - 01:28 PM

Yeah and what got patched?

#196 KingCobra

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 April 2023 - 01:33 PM

View PostAmbidXtrousGNOME, on 20 April 2023 - 11:58 AM, said:

Very true. That's the sad truth of having 1000+ mechs (or whatever the count is at) and having the most reliable way to make the holy c-bill from dmg done in a match. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I agree. I play my TBRs because I have very fond memories of the MadCat in MW3.

I agree as well as I still play all my IS and clan mechs from MW2-MW4 that are in MWO. The Madcat -D was one of my favorite mechs in MW3 as well why? Because I played it stock in 2 leagues MWL and NBT. MWO nerfed the Madcat soon after it was released enlarging the chest/torso hitboxs to the size of a barn making it another glass cannon mech among other nerfs Posted Image

My new Mad cat mark 2 LGD is still invalid in my mechlab after the nerf to its slots I don't even want to talk about the poor LGD Fafnir . And people say O well just keep buying more they will fix it ? I have my doubts about a quick fix to them both. Plus after the nerfs what makes them a legend now? nothing .

I do miss Faction play in MWO but it is even a worst Gang Festival than QP is becoming if it were me to make a fun Faction play experience for all players new and old I would make it STOCK MECHS ONLY or make a Stock mechs only option for fun gameplay in both Faction and QP.

Edited by KingCobra, 20 April 2023 - 01:51 PM.

#197 ambosen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Aggressor
  • The Aggressor
  • 126 posts

Posted 20 April 2023 - 01:44 PM

If LRM boats on your team or the other one are getting 1600 damage somehow, the problem isn't the LRM boats. The problem is your team the opposing team, or both, is essentially doing nothing but standing still waiting to be shot. There have been so many nerfs to LRM's over the years, specifically to appease those sorts of people in the form of increased scattering increased heat, straight up capping how many LRM launchers mechs can carry even if they have the tonnage and pod space, really buffing ECM, increased radar deprevation with many lighter mechs now having an inherent percentage before you even use the skill try, or chance to miss out on doing damage entirely even with a clear lock at certain ranges, to say nothing of how Inner sphere LRM's don't do damage at all at a certain ranges, or Clan LRM's at a close enough point have it drop off so much it might as well not be worth it using them.

LRM's usually rely on one of two things to even work: a clear line of sight for an enemy, and something that can keep them out in the open where the majoority of missiles will hit, usually in the form of a teammate who's closing in close and keeping them occupied, often while tagging or NARCing them so that you can even attempt to hit to begin with. With Artemis launchers, you can't even deadfire without a positive lock, though you get an accuracy to hit increase at certain ranges and situations. SRM's, MRM's, rocket launchers, autocannons, lasers, gauss rifles even a good chunk of the PPC type weapons don't have these restrictions, or this inherent chance of missing even with a confirmed shot. Likewise, only LRM's really have a secondary weapon that exists specifically to hard counter them, not that you see to many mechs carrying AMS systems anymore. The threat they were intended to protect against has been nerfed to the point many people no longer see the point. Hell, even the removal of AMS scoring was an attempt to keep some small measure of viability for LRM's, so crippled have they become.

Due to these nerfs, and many of these weapons getting buffed on top of changes made specifically to weaken LRM's many of the mechs originally designed with LRM's in mind are taking their shorter ranged, faster, less troublesome counterparts. And really can you blame the pilots of those mechs a bit? You can effectively use MRM's in a range bracket that includes the optimal ranges of both LRM's and SRM's with a lot of mechs and the range or accuracy boosting perks they have access to. And you'll outdamage the LRM's, too. You can use autocannons somewhat effectively if you know what you're doing at any range.

Medium lasers in particular are so generally useful it's downright *weird* to not see mechs fielding at least one, even if they don't have thew tonnage available for more powerful, longer ranged laser weaponry. PPC's share many of the strengths of autocannons, and can temporarily disable ECM besides.

So yeah. The weapon that directly struggles in viability both as a generalist and specialized weapon against virtually every other weapon of the game is OP just because you say so. And obviously needs to be yet again further nerfed. Despite all evidence otherwise, or the fact that even if you are seeing someone getting 1600 damage in a match, it's pretty much functionally impossible to do except with weapons that are very specifically tailored to be better generalsit weapons overall, and most optimal for shorter ranges.

#198 Tarteso

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 150 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 20 April 2023 - 03:08 PM

1600+ dmg games from lurm boats

lolwhat?

You can fool the PGI guys with this faery tale, not us:

https://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/284497-lrms-balance/

#199 Strelok7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 20 April 2023 - 05:03 PM

BTW 4/20 Patch produced an error during the patching process. Fixer corrected something in the Platinum Collection Pack.

#200 Magic Pain Glove

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • 138 posts

Posted 20 April 2023 - 06:52 PM

View PostDAEDALOS513, on 20 April 2023 - 08:55 AM, said:

Even if true.. I don't think a 5% increase in stomps is worth considering, do you? It's def worth the trade-off for the benefits soup brought, the biggest one being, you can now drop with friends. Imagine that, some of us enjoy playing with friends. This brought people back to the game as evidenced by the many forum messages stating so. Like it or not, it was a necessary evil for a game that was on life support, and it WORKED.

LOW POPULATION was what made group match-making difficult.. this was never a problem when population was in the 4-5k region. Once population began to dwindle.. soup had to be implemented. I agree with the group restrictions for now.

When they tried out 8v8, personally, I didn't enjoy it at all. It didn't feel like a battle.. it was more like scout mode on steroids. Matches were dull because there was less variety on the field and people were more afraid to move so there was less action. Also, with fewer mechs on the field, outcomes were decided much quicker bec whichever team got the first kill or two, they had a huge advantage.. more so than with 12v12.

People have this need to be able to 'name' the thing they hate.. to give it a face, so that they can attack it more directly. Stomps have ALWAYS been a part of the game, (even in MWO's hay day), the causes of which went by many different names.. 'soup queue' is but one of them.This is a complex game and before we can begin to solve or mitigate stomps, population size must go up so MM can do its job.

It made matches much worse , so much worse that its reflected on statistics spanning all tiers . You can only tolerate so many matches where you see that ALPHA lance is the cause of victory or defeat . Also this idea where this was the "necessary evil" is also dumb. It could have been implemented the right way from the get go . And while you yourself didn't enjoy 8v8 overall feedback was overwhelmingly positive and at the same time wouldn't have alienated a lot of playerbase that didn't was SOUP in their matches and subsequently quit because of it . Especially considering that solo population is larger portion of the playerbase playing at any moment. Those two models that were suggested would have both been better and probably resulted in lower wait times for groups than what we have now even and the hybrid model doesn't even split the playerbase into buckets . The reason why its being reconsidered again is because what we have now is BAD , its simple as that . And instead of advocating for it back then you were more than happy to downgrade experience of all solo players in the game so you can get what you yourself enjoyed. ( Avoiding to fight other groups at all costs ) Seriously , zog off . That goes to other folks who advocated for it as well . Sometimes I am tempted to form a 4 player compie group just to shove it down the throat of folks who think that its inconsequential. The only time when its inconsequential is when both groups are equally skilled which while it does happen in lower tiers more often Between T1-T3 it happens far less often . MM cant balance groups and it cant balance pugs against groups . And folks like you would obviously want solo pugs being served to you on a platter regardless even if the wait times would end up being lower with those two alternative proposals. Absolutely despicable.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users