#21 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,250 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 23 May 2023 - 08:33 AM

View PostWeeny Machine, on 23 May 2023 - 07:55 AM, said:

Yeah, please throw some more smoke grenades. It is ok. No worries, no one will curb this . I have come to accept that.

No smoke grenades, just dismantling the ignorant rants one viable loadout at a time.

#22 Capellan Shenanigans

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationMidwest US

Posted 23 May 2023 - 08:39 AM

Here's my perspective as a returning player that's been in and out of MWO over the last 10 years: MWO in its current state is the best that its ever been.

Clan vs IS tech is mostly balanced, under-performing weapons and 'mechs are being tweaked to become viable, maps are being added and actively improved upon, and most importantly, the Devs appear to actually give a f**k about the health of their game.

I believe that PGI working directly with players that fully understand the game mechanics (The Cauldron) is a great idea and I fully believe that it's one of the main reasons why the game is actually worth coming back to.

#23 Dogmeat1

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • 123 posts
  • LocationButte Hold

Posted 23 May 2023 - 08:57 AM

View PostWeeny Machine, on 23 May 2023 - 07:55 AM, said:

Yeah, please throw some more smoke grenades. It is ok. No worries, no one will curb this . I have come to accept that.

Which of those builds isn't viable in QP? I play mostly short and medium range brawl and skirmisher builds and I'm usually the top scorer in my matches. I don't agree with all changes the cauldron has made and have been quite vocal in my opposition to the ideas of one of them in particular. However right now the range of viable builds is far greater than in any other period in this game and there are very few weapon systems that you can't carry with. You struggling with most of them sounds more like an issue with how you play more than anything else.

#24 pbiggz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,684 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 23 May 2023 - 09:43 AM

View PostGilgamesh Hoi, on 22 May 2023 - 05:33 PM, said:

I want to nerf what I dont play and buff what I play so i never die and never have to deal with anyone else outplaying me, and if anyone figures out how to outplay me, i want what they used nerfed too.

View PostRockmachinE, on 23 May 2023 - 06:43 AM, said:

I want to nerf what I dont play and buff what I play so i never die and never have to deal with anyone else outplaying me, and if anyone figures out how to outplay me, i want what they used nerfed too.

Seriously stop making these threads. I don't even fully agree with the cauldron, i would love to see more diversity between different mechs and i would love to see really wacky weird quirks but get a grip guys, you're so obsessed with the idea that an evil cabal is conspiring against you personally that you that you'd rather shut the servers off. Spend less time developing victim complexes.

#25 Mechwarrior2342356

• 2,122 posts

Posted 23 May 2023 - 10:06 AM

View PostWeeny Machine, on 23 May 2023 - 03:05 AM, said:

Jup, everyone who says that there is a sniper / laser vomit meta has no clue and only the pros know what is going on. The rest is just dumb, right?

Your post shows the whole hubris floating around packed in a nutshell. Thank you for showing it so clearly.

What is your proof that this isn't the case?

I love those strawmen... Argumentation on kindergarten level

If you have a look at the loadouts of heavies and assaults, you know what going on. As Meep Meep above said: there is a "slight" *cough, cough* tendency towards certain meta builds

do you know how burden of proof works

I'm less convinced that the bulk of the issue is anything to do with loadouts anymore and it has far more to do with map design, player/team habits and simply NOT KNOWING WHAT TO DO when certain situations arise (and few people in the match being inclined to offer much in the way of helpful direction, which is probably downwind of even fewer people being inclined to listen)

I am still of the mind that if groups in QP are here to stay other things need to be tweaked to keep them from exerting inordinate influence over the course of a match, but that will probably be a matter of PGI considering things like uncapping PSR/adjusting the tier system/considering MM proposals/etc. Even if there were more tiers, and you had to still allow certain amounts of tier spread to not wait 15 minutes for a match, the MM being able to see a difference between a "Magic Pain Glove" T1 and a "joe average" T1 and set sides up accordingly might lead to a bit less silliness. None of that is technically Cauldron purview though some have offered input from what I gather.

#26 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 23 May 2023 - 11:26 AM

View PostThe Brewer, on 23 May 2023 - 08:21 AM, said:

I, for one, am glad it’s not all MPLs...

Speaking of MPLs, one of my two biggest gripes with the Cauldron are that for a lot of my builds, I feel like MPLs have become slightly less playable than the same mech running Snubs or LPPCs. I think MPL need a slight heat and cool down buff to return them to a place of desirability/equilibrium.

Unrelated, but 2) is that some of the variant specific quirks I think are just insufficient or misguided. For the former, I think some of the build specific variants need more/more extreme quirks to make them competitive (e.g. the small laser quirks on the Charger 1A1 feel could be even more outlandish and the small laser build would still be underwhelming), and as to the later why some more capable mechs are given giga quirks while other less capable but similarly situated mechs are not.

#27 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,756 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 23 May 2023 - 11:35 AM

I think that mpl getting no love and superseded by other weapons was part of the plan to diversify other underused classes and entice their use. Now that its been a while yeah might be time to give the old king a new crown. Well maybe not a crown but something nice to make him happy. I'd love to play some more 5 mpl urbie but other weapons are simply more attractive now.

#28 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,250 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 23 May 2023 - 12:04 PM

Asking for MPL buffs will trigger the Power Creep Proximity Alarm which will automatically unilaterally nerf everything that isn't an MPL, ER PPC or UAC10.

#29 Ilostmycactus

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 72 posts

Posted 23 May 2023 - 12:47 PM

I like mpls but ermls and mls just work better. The slightly higher damage and less burn time isn't worth the extra ton and heat. I might as well get ermls and have a better range and more heatsinks or a bigger engine.

Above anything flamers and streaks need a rework. New mechanics or whatever.

#30 Mechwarrior2342356

• 2,122 posts

Posted 23 May 2023 - 12:57 PM

View PostIlostmycactus, on 23 May 2023 - 12:47 PM, said:

I like mpls but ermls and mls just work better. The slightly higher damage and less burn time isn't worth the extra ton and heat. I might as well get ermls and have a better range and more heatsinks or a bigger engine.

Above anything flamers and streaks need a rework. New mechanics or whatever.

I have no idea what they could do with flamers. I still laugh at the Flamer Range quirk on some mechs.

Unless they can unshackle Streaks from the usual lock mechanic I don't know what could be done with them either. Lock mechanics in general kind of suck, encourage staring problems, invite frustration when your main weapon system doesn't fire RIGHT NOW WHEN YOU NEED IT, etc. Maybe give them a dumbfire mode.

Edited by the check engine light, 23 May 2023 - 12:57 PM.

#31 Ilostmycactus

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 72 posts

Posted 23 May 2023 - 01:04 PM

You could make them an energy machine gun I guess, keep the overheat bar maybe. Or greatly increase range. Imo locks shouldn't require you to be on reticule. It should be 180 degrees etc. Breaking lock just because you had to twist is dumb. tag/laser guided isn't the same as a radar lock.

#32 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 23 May 2023 - 01:11 PM

A long time ago, someone suggested the pulse lasers could operate like laser versions of machine guns. We do have a lot of lasers--it might be interesting if pulse lasers operated differently. Like, 1/4 the damage, 1/4 the cooldown, 1/2 duration or something like that to make them more unique in function. It would also help reduce some forms of laser vomit. Pulse lasers could then have a niche as something that can fire often and relatively high damage if you can keep LoS on target. Heating up would also be easier to manage because it would be more incremental.

#33 Ilostmycactus

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 72 posts

Posted 23 May 2023 - 01:25 PM

Actually, pulsing a laser does make it stronger irl. So it shouldn't be weaker.
First result of google :With pulsed lasers, the laser beam is interrupted at regular intervals, allowing the energy to accumulate, reaching a higher peak power than continuous-wave lasers

Edited by Ilostmycactus, 23 May 2023 - 01:26 PM.

#34 Heavy Money

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 23 May 2023 - 01:26 PM

View PostWeeny Machine, on 23 May 2023 - 03:05 AM, said:

Jup, everyone who says that there is a sniper / laser vomit meta has no clue and only the pros know what is going on. The rest is just dumb, right?

I see you've added laser vomit to your complaint as compared to a few weeks ago. If you'd said just sniper, I'd just reply "Yes.". You're nearly there. I've been posting for weeks that sniping isn't the meta. It is laservomit and medium to long range dakka.

There are some very powerful snipers like the DWF-C and NTG with Gauss+ERLL. These are certainly the meta of snipers, but snipers are not the meta overall.

#35 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,756 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 23 May 2023 - 01:42 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 23 May 2023 - 12:04 PM, said:

Asking for MPL buffs will trigger the Power Creep Proximity Alarm which will automatically unilaterally nerf everything that isn't an MPL, ER PPC or UAC10.

It doesn't have to be a global buff. Say give certain mechs that used to carry them effectively some mpl specific quirks. The K9 would love some of those.

#36 Heavy Money

• The Marauder
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 23 May 2023 - 01:48 PM

View PostMeep Meep, on 23 May 2023 - 01:42 PM, said:

It doesn't have to be a global buff. Say give certain mechs that used to carry them effectively some mpl specific quirks. The K9 would love some of those.

I think they need a global buff. A heat reduction is a good way to make them more appealing without changing time to kill significantly. It also allows them to be used as secondary weapons on larger brawlers more effectively.

#37 epikt

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 23 May 2023 - 01:50 PM

View PostMeep Meep, on 23 May 2023 - 01:42 PM, said:

It doesn't have to be a global buff. Say give certain mechs that used to carry them effectively some mpl specific quirks.

That's already the case: Thunderbolt-5SS, Hunchback-4P, BlackJack-1X, etc

#38 Mechwarrior2342356

• 2,122 posts

Posted 23 May 2023 - 02:08 PM

Clan MPLs are pretty brutally hot at 5-6 on most mechs that would or could field them effectively (speedy ones that can close to their optimal). The one trial Linebacker with MPLs is reeeeeeally spicy though since it's unskilled idk how much that affects it.

#39 PurplePuke

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 314 posts

Posted 23 May 2023 - 03:20 PM

To any of the Cauldron members who may be reading this thread, and all the others like it, either in laughter or dismay:

I've been playing MWO for years and I'm grateful for your efforts. Thanks for working to keep the game fun and playable. I really like MWO and I appreciate your work.

#40 Risen Trash

• PipPipPip
  • The Dreadnought
  • The Dreadnought
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 May 2023 - 03:33 PM

S'okay, buddy. I'm totally over Hellbore. No JJs, no fun.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users