A Preview Of Things To Come!

132 replies to this topic

#81 Fae Puka

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 02 November 2023 - 01:38 AM

Damned stupid idea. This is BattleTech, not Gundam and with 152pts of armour, really taking the proverbial P.

#82 Grim 13

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 41 posts

Posted 02 November 2023 - 02:16 AM

I already sword&board the 9D, if you gave this thing nothing but a shield, 1 ballistic in the right arm and 50% ballistic cooldown quirk, I'd be happy.Posted Image

#83 Voice of Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 492 posts

Posted 02 November 2023 - 02:40 AM

Long time ago I didn't like Counter Strike 1.6 because of the shields. And it’s not for nothing that shields were banned in all CS 1.6 competitions (shields were turned off via the console).

#84 Voice of Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 492 posts

Posted 02 November 2023 - 03:00 AM

Is this shield only available with standard armor?
132 units of standard armor = 3.7 tons. Light armor = 3.5 tons. And there are already 3.3 tons of ferro-fibrous. Another 300 kg of armor can be cut off from this arm and the engine can be raised to 205.
Is it possible to cut off the armor from a shield? At her expense, you can afford a lot of things.

#85 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,959 posts

Posted 02 November 2023 - 03:25 AM

im not sure i like this. this looks stupid, and out of place. might be the first legendary i pass on. its nice that you are experimenting with new equipment. but this is far below the mark.

been thinking of bolting the wallet shut for mwo, permanently. little straws like this are easy to forgive, but my camel is starting to groan.

#86 Samziel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seraph
  • The Seraph
  • 522 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 02 November 2023 - 03:29 AM

View PostFae Puka, on 02 November 2023 - 01:38 AM, said:

Damned stupid idea. This is BattleTech, not Gundam and with 152pts of armour, really taking the proverbial P.

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Shield

Personally I love it. Its new, interesting and most likely effective. Also love it having the camo from mech.

Edited by Samziel, 02 November 2023 - 03:32 AM.

#87 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,959 posts

Posted 02 November 2023 - 05:00 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 01 November 2023 - 07:15 PM, said:

So you guys are backporting melee-stuff in MW5?

Can we get a shield urbie next?

Fair assessment, but it's a big advantage when you do get to brawling.

nah, this is a piece of ghost equipment on a mech with an oversized arm with the actual armor buff provided by the quirk system. this is not a backport. this is a mod job.

if they wanted to do this for real they would have functional bolt-ons which unlike regular bolt-ons they can do something useful. install it and fixed equipment shows up in the appropriate component. for example install a jump pack and you can have a single use jump jet. could be various weapons. would be nice to order my elementals to dismount and attack. it would also be a good way to implement external armor. make it more interesting if the bolt on could be shot off if the armor was depleted or the equipment critted. of course i think bolt-ons are subject to the same limits as weapon retrofits, in that they have to be added on a mech by mech basis. but you could roll them out on a more progressive schedule and more importantly sell them.

Edited by LordNothing, 02 November 2023 - 05:42 AM.

#88 Rhaelcan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 340 posts

Posted 02 November 2023 - 05:29 AM

Oh yeah? Lemme guess, you are a lore guy. Well, SHIELDS are in BATTLETECH. LMAO

#89 Mechwarrior2342356

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 02 November 2023 - 05:46 AM

View PostRhaelcan, on 02 November 2023 - 05:29 AM, said:

Oh yeah? Lemme guess, you are a lore guy. Well, SHIELDS are in BATTLETECH. LMAO

Give it a beam saber though, to piss them off

#90 Znozoic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 133 posts
  • Locationin the *** of the world, literally (argentina)

Posted 02 November 2023 - 06:15 AM

i dont like it... one thing is a arm whit 100 armor and a bolt on ( whit no efect in the shooting) and another thing a is real shield....

#91 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,877 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 02 November 2023 - 07:21 AM

Lol. It's been said, but I have to say it again. There are shields in Battletech.

My only concern is the hit box. Is the shield just a bolt on that won't block fire, and only the ARM itself has the extra armor?

#92 Flow5tate

• Pip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 16 posts
  • LocationHelm, digging for the Memory Core

Posted 02 November 2023 - 07:24 AM

Somebody saw the Clanbuster Black Knight model on Yeggi and said to himself "MWO mechs could definitely use a shield." Too bad we're past the Solaris era...

#93 Samziel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seraph
  • The Seraph
  • 522 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 02 November 2023 - 07:55 AM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 02 November 2023 - 07:21 AM, said:

Lol. It's been said, but I have to say it again. There are shields in Battletech.

My only concern is the hit box. Is the shield just a bolt on that won't block fire, and only the ARM itself has the extra armor?

It's not a bolt on. It's a 4 ton equipment in the left arm (check the mechlab pic). It's gonna shield the whole side.

Edited by Samziel, 02 November 2023 - 07:56 AM.

#94 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 02 November 2023 - 08:06 AM

View PostSamziel, on 02 November 2023 - 07:55 AM, said:

It's not a bolt on. It's a 4 ton equipment in the left arm (check the mechlab pic). It's gonna shield the whole side.

I would think so, yes. But this requires a new model. If the hit box is just the image below like all other Centurions, then shots will pass through the shield without stopping.

Posted Image

#95 Rhaelcan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 340 posts

Posted 02 November 2023 - 11:42 AM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 02 November 2023 - 08:06 AM, said:

I would think so, yes. But this requires a new model. If the hit box is just the image below like all other Centurions, then shots will pass through the shield without stopping.

Posted Image

TIYOS took his time to model a shield, give it a hitbox. The shield is a real shield. It'll block damage.

View PostZnozoic, on 02 November 2023 - 06:15 AM, said:

i dont like it... one thing is a arm whit 100 armor and a bolt on ( whit no efect in the shooting) and another thing a is real shield....

Shield is not a Bolton. It's stuck to the mech

#96 Frost_Byte

• 68 posts

Posted 02 November 2023 - 12:05 PM

Shield will have a hitbox, yes. It is not a bolton, it is locked equipment that weighs 4 tons

#97 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 02 November 2023 - 12:08 PM

View PostRhaelcan, on 02 November 2023 - 11:42 AM, said:

TIYOS took his time to model a shield, give it a hitbox. The shield is a real shield. It'll block damage.

Beautiful. I owe someone a beer. Posted Image

#98 Steel Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 02 November 2023 - 12:25 PM

This will be interesting. That shield will only make a difference if you torso twist (far too many players have forgotten how) and full armor is going to slow you down to a crawl (like when the shield is active on the table top) so it won't be game breaking but very situational. You can always strip that arm of it's additional armor for a larger engine but you won't be keeping that shield for long.

My question is how will that shield interact with the environment? Will we need to worry about those hit boxes getting caught on the terrain? This might be a deal breaker when trying to navigate sideways, trying to shield yourself from incoming RAC/HAG fire with only your radar and memory guiding your movement on a uneven map.

#99 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,932 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 02 November 2023 - 03:51 PM

View PostIhlrath, on 01 November 2023 - 04:28 PM, said:

It's not a complaint my man. It's just stating facts. That shield will be a giant target for the alpha strike bros. It's a cool idea and a great looking mech. Dude did awesome making it. Sadly in this current envrionment it's toast.

That's literally the only role and function of a shield, to get focused by enemy fire instead of more important parts of the mech.
That shield gives you a free 200+ HP protection to absorb enemy fire while you close in.

#100 Mechwarrior2342356

• 2,130 posts

Posted 02 November 2023 - 03:53 PM

View PostNavid A1, on 02 November 2023 - 03:51 PM, said:

That's literally the only role and function of a shield, to get focused by enemy fire instead of more important parts of the mech.
That shield gives you a free 200+ HP protection to absorb enemy fire while you close in.

Giving it LAA flexibility to bring it in front for a guarded advance would do a lot for it. For shield bearing mechs in general.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users