How is this an MMO?

132 replies to this topic

#41 Tsudico

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:48 PM

View PostDerek Icelord, on 08 August 2012 - 03:40 PM, said:

When the game is finished, it will have a persistent meta-game. Thousands of players can be online at a given time, but there will still only be 24 (at most) in any given match. Again, just having thousands of people online at once doesn't make an MMO. They have to be able to interact with each other beyond a matchmaking system.

They do interact...it's through the meta-game. I do believe that if a set of battles changes the landscape of the meta game, then that affects everyone. However, I personally don't care if it's called an MMO or not. I know it as MWO, and that's all that matters to me.

#42 Syclonus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 331 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationOak Ridge, TN

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:50 PM

Posted Image

#43 Cylis

Rookie

• 3 posts
  • LocationMN. USA.

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:51 PM

Great discussion.
In my view. this is, even currently, a Massive Multi-player Online game. There are, as I type, 3266 ppl logged in.. that's pretty massive by my standards.. more ppl then my live in my home town.
Categorizing things is a strength of humanity, to put things in there neat little boxes. For example we all know what a family is. Ask 100 ppl and you get 100 different definition of that word, family. And as families have changed in human society though out the centuries, so to, will MWO change. So putting this game in a neat little box is impossible.
I cannot wait until it's ... um... can't say done.. out of beta.. ya i cannot wait till it's out of beta and all the core bells are ringing and the core whistles are blowing.
Commence mechanized destruction

#44 Holywind

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:59 PM

View PostMcGamer, on 08 August 2012 - 02:41 PM, said:

I am a big Mechwarrior fan, but I fail to see how this game classifies as an mmo? First off, there looks to be nothing persistent about the gameworld and there are no pilot avatars either. The list goes on from there, but unfortunately this game is looking to be a glorified deathmatch with lobby.

This is not a troll post, it is an honest question from a long-time fan of the original video-games, PnP games and novels.

BETA

#45 Scytale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:59 PM

View PostDerek Icelord, on 08 August 2012 - 03:43 PM, said:

It's not peer reviewed. Peer reviewed doesn't just mean other people look at it. If Wikipedia were peer reviewed, you could cite it as a source in research projects/papers.

You're right of course, and I should know this. I meant that it represents some form of consensus, broadly speaking, that I would think were reasonable to trust more than most on this forum.

#46 Scytale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:03 PM

View PostDragonlord, on 08 August 2012 - 03:29 PM, said:

Yes and we all know that wikipedia is absolute truth.
And you seem to be confusing MMO with Games that Have a multiplayer aspect

What I find so annoying about this is that a) I already qualified that wikipedia is not the source of all knowledge, and ;) I *know* those games all have a multiplayer aspect and that doesn't make them MMOs, but why is no one then defining MMOs? We know what wikipedia says; how do you define it?

#47 SakuranoSenshi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:07 PM

Massively (check) Multiplayer (check) Online (check), so aye. Also Roleplay Game (check, for many of us, arguably all of us when it goes fully live, since you play a mechwarrio with some affiliation or other). So, it's both MMO and MMORPG. I can't discuss aspects of the beta that have not been already revealed but I am pretty sure the XP and pilot trees have been discussed... that's customization of a 'character' (your mechwarrior) which is roleplay (as typically loosely defined for other MMORPGs).

Small scale battles doesn't make it less massive in its scope, in practice, other MMOs are just as small scale but promote the illusion of unlimited scale. Only EVE Online really comes close to truly unlimited scale in this regard and it has implemented a special system to deal with it, precisely because of the issues that come up when hundreds or even thousands of people try to be in the same place at the same time and shoot each other.

#48 freeege

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Locationqueensland australia

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:11 PM

Seriously people, everyone who cares what the definition of the game is put up your hands? Everyone else just be happy they are making a "free to play" mechwarrior game after such a long time with out one.

Btw.....beta.....beta.....beta......beta......beta.....beta!!!

#49 Donovan Jenks

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:18 PM

View PostMcGamer, on 08 August 2012 - 02:46 PM, said:

A MOG is what you are referring to. 23 other players is anything but "Massively" A persistent gameworld is also part of what makes an mmo.

The game is still in BETA! they are testing the high exposure/critical aspects of the game like matchmaking, load out balance, and client behavior on many different hardware configs.

The meta-game portion will come later. You can't evaluate a cake on flavor and execution before it is baked in the oven...

What is giving you the impression that this game is completed at this point?

#50 Monolith

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 134 posts
  • LocationWest Tennessee, USA

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:33 PM

Personally, I think there are alot of limitations in the current beta model. Yes, everything is match based. These matches also appear to be random at present.

How much control will the players have over things like borders, control of planets? That remains to be seen, but I find it an ambitious undertaking for the devs to basically try to incorporate a planetary league into the game itself. Ask anyone who has ever run a planetary league what kind of hassle it is to run... It is a labor of love, but labor is the first word in that phrase...

I also agree that it really kinda' pointless what you call the game if it is a great game! I am playing this game because it is MECHWARRIOR, not because it is MMOECHWARRIOR. Though if they could implement that by the strictest definitions i.e. massively persistent world/universe, I would just become a vegetable with matrix-like uplink nodes so I could live in that universe. Yes my name is Monolith. I like to play MechWarrior.

If you really want to quibble, you could say that by a looser definition, when this game goes live, it will be an MMO: Thousands of players at once, on different planets, different battlefields, with different objectives, all affecting the overall universe in a very real way. Could they make it even more awesome by implementing combined arms? By somehow making a completely persistent universe where you could control the struggle for the planet from the moment a jumpship warped into the system to the moment either someone won or someone retreated? Hell, even continue that if command said pull out, but individual lances wanted to continue guerrilla warfare against overwhelming odds until they either turned the tide or were annihilated. You could go crazy with how crazy you want to get with this. If even the sky was no limit and we could have a nirvana-like state of mech-warfare induced bliss, unfortunately, this is still a simulation of a fictional reality in a very real world.

Also, let me analyze one other thing that noone (as of beginning of this post, don't know now...) seems to have considered. In BattleTech, there is very little in my mind that would be able to qualify as being able to satisfy fully the strictest definitions of an MMO. There were probably thousands of mechs with hundreds of individual commands on Tukayyid (had to doublecheck the spelling on that one... Kinda' like how some folks have a hard time spelling Mississippi.), but little else in my admittedly fluff-cannon and video-game fueled knowledge of Btech suggests that even large battles over major planets contained even more than a few hundred mechs on a single planet at a time. And you know what? Usually they were spread out across several fronts if there were that many. You might see 50-100 mechs on a major battlefield if you were lucky (or unlucky depending on your view.), but they would be spread across many kilometers of ground. And you know what else? Even if they could manage to pull off 40-50 mechs on a single huge (And I do mean HUGE, with multiple drop zones, bases, and objectives with miles between them) persistent battleground, I would be in mech HEAVEN. If they could add in combined arms, I would die and go there.

I will end this lengthy post with a caveat. I once saw a meme with a humorous picture and a (possibly) offensive tag-line. I also realize that given this post, I am condemning myself to ******-like status. Tag-line went thusly:
Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics: Even if you win, you're still retarded.

(Again, no intent to offend. I have known quite a few with down-syndrome-like disorders and all were, without exception, some of the nicest, happiest people I have ever known... So maybe that saying is completely false, because internet trolls are usually phallus-heads...)

#51 Scytale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:37 PM

View PostMonolith, on 08 August 2012 - 04:33 PM, said:

Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics: Even if you win, you're still retarded.

(Again, no intent to offend. I have known quite a few with down-syndrome-like disorders and all were, without exception, some of the nicest, happiest people I have ever known... So maybe that saying is completely false, because internet trolls are usually phallus-heads...)

QFT. It's so easy to lose perspective eh =P

#52 light487

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,385 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:38 PM

As others have stated, the Community Warfare and Persistent World aspects are still in development and we don't have a clear answer on what that's all going to entail...

However.. who cares if it is MMO or not???

Does it really matter that much?

#53 Monolith

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 134 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:42 PM

Also... this may be a little after the fact, but have the devs actually defined it implicitly as an MMO? I seem to recall it being defined as MMO-like, but I don't recall a specific statement. And I am too lazy and couldn't-give-a-crap-esque right now to care... Also, I just realized I may have left some perishables from the grocer down in the car some 2 hours ago in the August heat... See y'all.

#54 Syclonus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 331 posts
  • LocationOak Ridge, TN

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:49 PM

View PostSakuranoSenshi, on 08 August 2012 - 04:07 PM, said:

Massively (check) Multiplayer (check) Online (check), so aye. Also Roleplay Game (check, for many of us, arguably all of us when it goes fully live, since you play a mechwarrio with some affiliation or other). So, it's both MMO and MMORPG. I can't discuss aspects of the beta that have not been already revealed but I am pretty sure the XP and pilot trees have been discussed... that's customization of a 'character' (your mechwarrior) which is roleplay (as typically loosely defined for other MMORPGs).

Small scale battles doesn't make it less massive in its scope, in practice, other MMOs are just as small scale but promote the illusion of unlimited scale. Only EVE Online really comes close to truly unlimited scale in this regard and it has implemented a special system to deal with it, precisely because of the issues that come up when hundreds or even thousands of people try to be in the same place at the same time and shoot each other.

oh eve online, looks good on paper! 1 single server shard with hundreds of people fighting in the same system. but in reality fights with those numbers strips away any personal feeling from the game and more that not, ends up in a lag fight more than a epic internet spaceship fight.

I still have my spreadsheets :)

#55 Indy GosHawk

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 30 posts
  • LocationHuntingdon, Cambs UK

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:57 PM

MOG, MMORPG, MMO.....................................................................................................................These are all wrong, this game is TBN,

Posted Image

THE BADGER'S NADGER'S !!!

so stop arguing and start Beta'ing, all of u!

#56 Monolith

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 134 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:57 PM

View PostSyclonus, on 08 August 2012 - 04:49 PM, said:

oh eve online, looks good on paper! 1 single server shard with hundreds of people fighting in the same system. but in reality fights with those numbers strips away any personal feeling from the game and more that not, ends up in a lag fight more than a epic internet spaceship fight.

I still have my spreadsheets :)

Agreed... And the main thing I disliked is that with EVE, you were never actually the pilot... More like the navigator. Skill at anything but knowing which items on the tree to level up usually didn't net you much. (I will allow that a certain degree of tactical awareness helped, too... I think I will mine something expensive here in my starter ship in a low security system while paying no attention to my surroundings... Oops, I am dead. Effing cheaters!!!) I just never had the time to get 'good' in EVE.

#57 Willpower

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:00 PM

Massive numbers of players play this game at the same time, on-line.
MMO.

It will have a meta game that will affect everyone at the same time (when it is done).

The image I keep getting from the nitpicking posts here is something LotR on-line, with Mechs all running past each other going to one battlefield or another. Which would be really, really odd. I wouldn't want to play that.

#58 Monolith

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 134 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:00 PM

View PostIndigoHawk, on 08 August 2012 - 04:57 PM, said:

MOG, MMORPG, MMO.....................................................................................................................These are all wrong, this game is TBN,

Posted Image

THE BADGER'S NADGER'S !!!

so stop arguing and start Beta'ing, all of u!

Fuh sho!!!

BETA IS GREATA'!!!! than not being in the beta!!! Yoink! (But continued development reigns supreme!!!)

Edited by Monolith, 08 August 2012 - 05:02 PM.

#59 Indy GosHawk

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 30 posts
  • LocationHuntingdon, Cambs UK

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:03 PM

just to be clear, " the Badger's Nadgers" is good. Very Good.
same as " the Dog's b******s" or "the Mutt's Nutts" etc.

#60 The Helepolis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 243 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:16 PM

Massively Multiplayer Online game....hundreds of thousands of people on one server.. Yeah this sums up MWO, I mean the game name itself tries to clarify it's an ONLINE based game, the campaign "thing" they had brought up will be entirely multi-player based. So if you ask me this makes tons of sense. There's a little experience system they've got going, if you ask me this is similar to WoT if anything, which is also considered an MMO. But don't get MMO and MMORPG mixed up, those games are like WoW, Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Everquest, *cough* Runescape etc. This is just a massively multiplayer game and should just be understood that it will be going free to play, that's even more people on one server. *They may add more servers, but for now I think they just have the one beta test one* That still qualifies as a MMO game. But hey to each his own Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users