LOSE THE FISTS!!!

202 replies to this topic

#81 Larry Headrick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • Locationoklahoma

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:30 AM

hands...on...mechs...are...not...for...fighting!
thay are for grabbing, holding, manipulating,and moving material.

The punch is a O-Crap moment. the mechs hands were not designed for combat. Thay can be used for such but thay were not designed for it.
Again thay are for grabbing, holding, manipulating,and moving material.

can this be realised in a game? i do not know. But the hands are in. That's all i have to say on the matter.

#82 Treejey

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:34 AM

How about fists being a customization option in the Mech Lab? Or maybe only having a fist if no weapon is installed a particular arm, but replace the fist graphics with weapon graphics if there is a weapon installed? Just a thought.

Or just make sure mechs with fists are visually aligned with the available weapon slots in the arm. Like I wouldn't want to see a PPC firing from that tiny under the wrist weapon barrel on the hunchback, etc.

Edited by Treejey, 01 February 2012 - 07:39 AM.

#83 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:58 AM

I can't wait for these morons to run at me with a Hatchetman or Berzerker and try to swing at me.

I'm either
A ) Faster than you in a medium or light 'mech or
B ) Have more firepower and will more than happily leg / shoot off that retarded oversized primitive weapon with my guns

Happy Hunting!

Edit:

For the "hands are not for fighting" yes, that makes perfect sense. However I doubt I'll be doing any construction work within the actual game so they'll be the first things I remove in the 'mechlab given the chance.

Edited by mwhighlander, 01 February 2012 - 08:00 AM.

#84 AlanEsh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:12 AM

View PostAlex Wolfe, on 01 February 2012 - 07:28 AM, said:

No digital 'mech game in history has had a chassis with an in-game movable neck.

You sure this one will fit your sensibilities? :P

And I said I want those features where? I lumped your anti-fist post in with the anti-head anti-anythingthatisnotpurelyfunctionallooking posts/threads. There was no judgement placed on heads/necks by me...

But since you asked -- MWO's mech designs should look reasonably functional, be visually unique, and show signficant nods to original artwork. Beyond that, design worries are pretty silly.

#85 AlanEsh

• The Bludgeon
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:15 AM

View PostAegis Kleais™, on 01 February 2012 - 07:56 AM, said:

*crazy over-concerned reading too much into others' posts blurb*

Wow you know me so well from my two rather vague sentences.

I've played Btech and MW games from day 1 -- artistic license is fine, so are hands and heads. I'm -really- not worked up about this, you should not be either :P

#86 Korbyn McColl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 402 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:16 AM

View PostDihm, on 01 February 2012 - 06:49 AM, said:

The neurohelment is tracking the sense of balance, there is no commands being given. That's all done in the onboard computer. The pilot targets what they want, hits the "hand, go do stuff" button, and the computer takes over. In some cases it is implied that the neurohelmet can help with what the pilot's "intent" was for the action. It may help the computer determine whether the command was to "crush the ammo bin" or to "pick it up gently without turning it in to bomb".

Thanks for the clarification. I think when they were originally introduced the description was a bit vague and led to the impression that they were a true neuro-interface. No doubt they've refined it over the years, especially within the novels.

View PostLeonardo Monteiro, on 01 February 2012 - 06:56 AM, said:

Ok, so I am in a mech with fists.

Then what? Im going in the middle of an urban landscape trying to "punch" mechs? What is the use?

Seriously, I understand that mechs have hands, that TT allowed for mech melee.. but realistically, in MWO, what will we use "hands" for?
Tactically, I will not allow anyone of you to get close enough to "punch me" - IF i am in a light mech, ill run from you, if I am in a heavy mech, ill alpha you way before.

Sure, might happen once in a while that we DO get close enough, but how rare will that be? And it would make much more sense to have a metal drill than a "hand" for such close encounters.

I just don't see the point, sorry.

Just my opinion.

edit: if you see actual robot competions today, you'll see that they have hammers, chainsaws, or are ramming wedges.. they dont punch each other, even if you could simulate a hand, no one would use one

True, but mechs really don't use their hands for combat. They use them for moving obstacles, climbing, helping to maintain their balance (grab a hold of that tower before you fall), standing back up after falling down (hands help immensely with that), etc... Sure, you could punch something...but why?

View PostLarry Headrick, on 01 February 2012 - 07:30 AM, said:

hands...on...mechs...are...not...for...fighting!
thay are for grabbing, holding, manipulating,and moving material.

The punch is a O-Crap moment. the mechs hands were not designed for combat. Thay can be used for such but thay were not designed for it.
Again thay are for grabbing, holding, manipulating,and moving material.

can this be realised in a game? i do not know. But the hands are in. That's all i have to say on the matter.

Exactly. Mechs were first designed as work horses, not war machines. As such, they had hands for lifting, moving and manipulating things. No claw or hook can ever truly replicate the finesse of an actual hand.

Should all mechs have hands? No. But it would be a shame to take them away from the mechs that traditionally do have hands just to appeal to a small number of players who don't understand the lore behind them.

#87 Alex Wolfe

• 2,359 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:20 AM

View PostAngelicon, on 01 February 2012 - 08:12 AM, said:

And I said I want those features where? I lumped your anti-fist post in with the anti-head anti-anythingthatisnotpurelyfunctionallooking posts/threads. There was no judgement placed on heads/necks by me...

But I was never anti-fist nor would I have such a post... I was only debating the unfeasibility of mech melee combat.

I'm being repressed :P .

#88 Korbyn McColl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 402 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:23 AM

Now we see the violence inherent in the system!

#89 Tannhauser Gate

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1,302 posts
  • LocationAttack ship off the Shoulder of Orion

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:28 AM

help help Im being repressed!

#90 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:31 AM

View Postmwhighlander, on 01 February 2012 - 07:58 AM, said:

Edit:

For the "hands are not for fighting" yes, that makes perfect sense. However I doubt I'll be doing any construction work within the actual game so they'll be the first things I remove in the 'mechlab given the chance.

I'm a bit confused. Since the 'mechs being put out with hands already had hands in their previous and original incarnations, don't you think it would be a bit rude to alter the design so much to replace the hand? And what would you replace it with? You'd have to do it to more then just one 'mech, and just because we don't use it in game doesn't mean it still doesn't mean it shouldn't be represented on the 'mech itself.

As for those "morons" trying to hit you with a melee weapon on a fast moving 'mech, you assume a good bit about people and their use of melee. Just because you have something doesn't mean you should use it, and against a fast moving 'mech it'd be an pretty dumb idea unless you've got a damn good shot with one (and it was actually worth it.)

I respect your opinion, I just don't see why in the hell the hand thing is even an issue... lol.

#91 AlanEsh

• The Bludgeon
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:32 AM

View PostAlex Wolfe, on 01 February 2012 - 08:20 AM, said:

But I was never anti-fist nor would I have such a post... I was only debating the unfeasibility of mech melee combat.

I'm being repressed :P .

OH ok my bad then. LOL. :P

#92 DaZur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:34 AM

When I think of "fisting"... it doesn't involve Mechs and I'm sure it's inclusion would change the entire scope of the game.... :P

#93 Jon Vekken

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 29 posts
  • LocationThe Planet Persistance

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:35 AM

What about kicking in the Battletech universe? When will that stop? :P

In the tabletop game, a fast running locust runs up to my atlas. I kick him, he falls down dead. Oh no! the humanity! We've got Kung-Fu being added to Mechwarrior online!!!!

My Atlas Roundhouses your Hunchback.... :P

#94 Paladin1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts
  • LocationCapellan March, Federated Suns

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:37 AM

I can't wait until these anti-physical trolls get DFA'd the first time. Talk about ********, we ain't seen nothing yet.

#95 Vertous

• PipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 93 posts
  • LocationSummerville, SC

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:44 AM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 31 January 2012 - 07:27 PM, said:

"LOSE THE FISTS!!!"

No... and in fact.. just for that...

Spoiler

O_O tell me sir... where is the stage for the gundam universe.

#96 Dihm

• 3,312 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:44 AM

View PostAegis Kleais™, on 01 February 2012 - 07:56 AM, said:

I've been in MechWarrior for quite a while and know what I like. Never once has in any of those games had hands or any form of melee, and the game did not suffer in any measurable degree for it being that way.

Wait, what? Are you sure we've played the same Mechwarrior games, because in every single one I'm pretty sure there was a mech with hands. They weren't functional (in a MechWarrior gameplay sense), but they were there.

#97 Dlardrageth

• 1,198 posts
  • LocationF.R.G.

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:48 AM

Lose the fists...

...detachable fists...

...thrown fists...

...rocket-propelled fists as ballistic weapons...

...exploding fists...

:P Let's not got there... :P

Edited by Dlardrageth, 01 February 2012 - 08:56 AM.

#98 Nik Van Rhijn

• 2,905 posts
  • LocationLost

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:51 AM

Some mechs have hands, others don't, going back to the start of the game. I can't see why those mechs should suddenly lose there hands just 'cos some people don't like them. If we are going to have melee maybe they should just replace them all with axes/maces? Still not sure how they are going to do melee( other than DFA & Charging)., reserve judgement on that.

#99 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:55 AM

View PostPaladin1, on 01 February 2012 - 08:37 AM, said:

I can't wait until these anti-physical trolls get DFA'd the first time. Talk about ********, we ain't seen nothing yet.

Yea no kiding, it's one aspect the dev's can't get away from if they include jump jets. Wait till that heavy or assault 'mech lands on you, clumsy as it may be, and you find yourself kissing your 'mechs ankles.

#100 Alex Wolfe

• 2,359 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:57 AM

View PostPaladin1, on 01 February 2012 - 08:37 AM, said:

Gravity's one mean mother, huh?

Certainly more plausible than a swing of anemic arms powered by anemic hips, Watch the landing, though.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users