LOSE THE FISTS!!!

202 replies to this topic

#141 Alex Wolfe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,359 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:37 AM

View PostRyphus Trebo, on 01 February 2012 - 11:23 AM, said:

Can someone do a photo shop of the Atlas punching and saying "Just ask my hand."?

Only if it's a convincing animation :P .

#142 TheRulesLawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:10 PM

View PostAym, on 01 February 2012 - 10:11 AM, said:

IIRC during the Battle of Kursk red army tanks did in fact "ram" German tanks to get on top of them and effectively take them out of the battle.

It happened, but it wasn't a terribly effective tactic. Guns work much better.

#143 Aaron DeChavilier

• 1,422 posts
  • LocationEisen Unbegrenzt Corp HQ, Rim Collection

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:18 PM

View PostTheRulesLawyer, on 01 February 2012 - 01:10 PM, said:

but World of Tanks tells me that tanks go boom if I ram them hard enough, you mean that video game is not realistic!? but its using real life stuff! how can it not be? B)

Edited by Aaron DeChavilier, 01 February 2012 - 01:18 PM.

#144 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:58 PM

View PostPaladin1, on 01 February 2012 - 08:37 AM, said:

I can't wait until these anti-physical trolls get DFA'd the first time. Talk about ********, we ain't seen nothing yet.

There is a WORLD of difference between ramming/DFA-ing and punching/using a 100 foot sword/axe.

/flameWar a guy with the name paladin would want a giant robot with swords /flameWar B)

jk but still, ramming and DFA are very effective ways of dispatching or knocking over an enemy 'mech. Giving a 'mech to carry a sword or club is silly.

#145 Alex Wolfe

• 2,359 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:05 PM

This thread makes me sad for some reason. I cannot quite place it.

Posted Image

Edited by Alex Wolfe, 01 February 2012 - 03:07 PM.

#146 Phades

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:11 PM

Unless the guns in question pack less punch than the opposition. B)

#147 Fresh Meat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 779 posts
  • LocationMannequin Republic

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:17 PM

Booga Booga, mech smash.

#148 Zaius Ex

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:19 PM

I want hands if only so I can have my Atlas "Dolemite" throw up the black power fist while he stomps a mudhole in some sucka.

#149 GrimJim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • LocationPottery Barn, $120 richer than my fellow Founders

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:22 PM

The first time a 'Mech rips a Scout's arm off and beats him to death with it is the day this thread ends.

#150 VYCanis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:29 PM

Posted Image

armor is fine and dandy, but i'm willing to bet the cruncher stuff underneath it, doesn't like having a lot of weight suddenly come down on it.
thats why punches and melee are effective.

you aren't necessarily trying to poke a hole in his armor or slice his armor or whatever, you are mostly bringing down a whole load of weight on said armor that will probably deform it and get it all impacted with the stuff its trying to protect. Or in other cases tear the armor right off its mountings..

Edited by VYCanis, 01 February 2012 - 04:25 PM.

#151 Omigir

Can I have a hug? :(

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:43 PM

Besides, without a fist on my mech, how am i supposed to Fist pump or Bro fist the other mech's after sick laser burns!

#152 Tyzh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 495 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:44 PM

View PostAlex Wolfe, on 01 February 2012 - 03:05 PM, said:

This thread makes me sad for some reason. I cannot quite place it.

Is it because you punched a wall without using your torso and realized it can still carry significant force? Because I'm pretty sure my wall experiment is incontrovertible.

#153 Karyudo ds

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,706 posts
  • LocationChaos March

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:47 PM

View PostDihm, on 01 February 2012 - 11:13 AM, said:

Well... that's the whole point isn't it? Pro-hand people aren't expecting them to have gameplay functionality in MWO, we want them there because they SHOULD be there. Non-functional lumps is a-okay with me.

No I'm expecting them to do stuff or at least be pictured doing stuff. It's nuts that these games are always missing half of the things in the series they're based on. I mean punching and axing things wasn't incredably common in the games I've played but I do like the idea of ripping off a guys arm and beating him with it now and then.

View Postmwhighlander, on 01 February 2012 - 02:58 PM, said:

There is a WORLD of difference between ramming/DFA-ing and punching/using a 100 foot sword/axe.

/flameWar a guy with the name paladin would want a giant robot with swords /flameWar B)

jk but still, ramming and DFA are very effective ways of dispatching or knocking over an enemy 'mech. Giving a 'mech to carry a sword or club is silly.

Well yeah giving one your kind of sword/club would be, 100 feet is HUGE. Probably about 3 times as tall as a mech huge if my math is right. I do remember it being mentioned that the Forestry Mech chainsaw was only 15 feetish. Which looked about right if mechs are near 10 meters tall.

I will agree I think the swords seemed silly as they weren't likely to have much weight behind them, the Ax's seemed like they'd have worked...The Naginta's also sort of seemed plausible, but I supposed the vibro-weapons are useful not because of their weight anyway...

Time period considering though you have clubs and hatchets of course.

#154 HanaYuriko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 588 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:58 PM

It happened a lot. The Russian T-34's main gun wasn't all that effective against the German Tiger's armor. So an effective tactic was to ram the Tiger, completely disabling the heavier tank (and half the time, the T-34 at the same time). Since the Russians greatly outnumbered the Germans as far as armor - since the T-34 was a LOT easier to mass produce - they were able to overwhelm the German Panzer forces doing just that.

#155 Fresh Meat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 779 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:43 PM

The only mech with hands I ever liked was the atlas. I figured it was more a personification of war type thing, ergo the skull head. In a simulator it's just silly and should not be effective. If implemented I hope melee is restricted to special zones, to me it ruins the mechwarrior feel developed over the years.

In a knife fight, ill take the gun

#156 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:47 PM

View PostFresh_Meat, on 01 February 2012 - 04:43 PM, said:

In a knife fight, ill take the gun

I'll take the gun that shoots knives.

Honestly, melee implemented or not, hands have been a part of the Battletech universe and 'mech design for a long long time. It doesn't make sense to take it away, and considering Battlemechs are used for more then just shooting things (though, they're mostly designed for that specific purpose B)) hands help a great deal when they aren't being used as engines of war.

I'm still incredibly flabbergasted we're even having this discussion, to be honest.

#157 Fresh Meat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 779 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:03 PM

Rabble rabble

#158 Motoko

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:06 PM

I love this thread. :| Enough said.

#159 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:09 PM

I don't beleive hands are an issue, either. (melee is a different thread to rehash at a later time) I think what some people are concerned about are how developed are the 'mech hands and if they have constant animations going on that make the 'mech seem more anime. For instance when a player is holding position, does your 'mech start to clutch its fist, flicker a bit or do... er other things?

Edited by mwhighlander, 01 February 2012 - 05:10 PM.

#160 Charlic Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 124 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:31 PM

View PostKommunist Kodiak, on 31 January 2012 - 06:27 PM, said:

If they add fists to any other mech they need to lose em. Fists are for Transformers, Not Frickin mechs

... part of me just died inside... your name is Kommunist Kodiak... the orignal Kodiak had hands... so do a lot of other mechs....

79 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 79 guests, 0 anonymous users