The Jolly Rogers!

463 replies to this topic

#101 CPTAmerica

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationTEXAS

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:43 PM

I would prefer a 'mech with a top speed somewhere between 85 and 96 Kph with jump capability. Has good speed for this era of the game (avg. 64 Kph) with the added agility of the jump jets for denser more difficult terrain. This also drops the size of the engine weight to allow for additional equipment and armor. The PvP mech games I have played have shown me that speed does not effect your opponents' ability to target you as much as agility. The additional armor is a little more useful than an extra 10 Kph in my opinion.

All that being said, VLK-QA Valkyrie would be my top choice. JVN-10N/F Javelin is my second. The Jenner variants will be the third. Other considerations are the Assassin, Phoenix Hawk, and Griffin.

#102 banesbreath

Rookie

• 5 posts
  • LocationCalgary AB, Canada

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:51 PM

For scouting a jenner or a raven
For sniping a rifleman ;) (i know it's an unseen but i want one anyways :D )

#103 Jack Gallows

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:16 PM

Speed and agility might both be pretty effective in MW:O at being able to avoid hitting a lighter 'mech now that we know weapon convergence is in the game. The Valkyrie is an awesome 'mech, and is probably my favorite light. Also a fan of the Spector (really awesome 'mech ) and Wolfhound, even with the Wolfhounds lack of jump jets.

Really hoping for the Orion for my Command 'mech, lacking that maybe a Warhammer. Might need to consider something faster though, so a Clint or a Griffin might not make for a bad choice.

Can't really wait for the next month ending wednesday reveal, moar 'mechs!

*Edit, fixed something in my first sentence, fingers working faster then brain.

Edited by Jack Gallows, 06 February 2012 - 06:25 PM.

#104 CPTAmerica

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationTEXAS

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:42 PM

A Raven is a great scout 'mech IF they include the upgraded electronics packages. If they also have the Valkyrie or Javelin, that NARC missile launcher would be great just within our scout lance as well as the rest of the company otherwise, I would take the Jenner. The non-upgraded Raven isn't all that great. LRMs, SRMs, and Medium Lasers are a good weapons load out but, lack of agility and low armor mean that it will really need to work with a partner. It also does not have the heat capacity to be able to unleash its offensive might truly effectively.

View PostJack Gallows, on 06 February 2012 - 06:16 PM, said:

Speed and agility might both be pretty effective in MW:O at being able to avoid hitting a lighter 'mech now that we know weapon convergence is in the game.

I was just remembering how slow even the fastest 'mechs moved across my screen. I was able to put my crosshairs on to the target and stay with it pretty smoothly. This was definitely made easier at longer ranges. Up close, almost within touching distance, speed was noticeable but, that was the only time you could tell if a 'mech was supposed to have speed or not.

Edited by CPTAmerica, 06 February 2012 - 06:53 PM.

#105 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:51 PM

I believe the Guardian ECM is legal in this time period, so the Raven would be up to full potential. How that system will work in game, I don't know, but it should keep the Raven from being a lackluster 'mech without it.

One of the reasons I really like the Spector. May lack a TAG/etc, but it's got great armament for a light, a top speed almost beating the Locust, jump jets, AND a Guardian ECM. Nice little ambush 'mech and really shines in a scout lance.

View PostCPTAmerica, on 06 February 2012 - 06:42 PM, said:

I was just remembering how slow even the fastest 'mechs moved across my screen. I was able to put my crosshairs on to the target and stay with it pretty smoothly. This was definitely made easier at longer ranges. Up close, almost within touching distance, speed was noticeable but, that was the only time you could tell if a 'mech was supposed to have speed or not.

They're doing a lot to make each 'mech weight useful, and while an assault or heavy might still be able to down you fast if they get a solid hit...that solid hit is going to be harder to land. EWAR abilities and the fact they've shown that there's torso twist speed limitations, as well as weapon convergence (meaning it's going to take longer for a 'mech to actually range a light) tells how light 'mechs are going to have an advantage of not getting hit because of speed and jump jets. Making a bad decision will still get you killed (like anyone else,) but it's not going to be "I can keep my reticule on you" permanently.

Long range a light should be using cover or at the very least not trying to take down a much heavier 'mech by itself unless it has a distinct weapon range advantage and effectively kiting their enemy. Combine this with some of the specials that the scout gets, like being able to help with Indirect Fire and Null signature stuff (you appear shut down for 5 seconds) to help break targeting locks, and it may well be hard to bring down a good scout player.

Edited by Jack Gallows, 06 February 2012 - 07:05 PM.

#106 CPTAmerica

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationTEXAS

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:07 PM

View PostJack Gallows, on 06 February 2012 - 06:51 PM, said:

I believe the Guardian ECM is legal in this time period, so the Raven would be up to full potential. How that system will work in game, I don't know, but it should keep the Raven from being a lackluster 'mech without it.

One of the reasons I really like the Spector. May lack a TAG/etc, but it's got great armament for a light, a top speed almost beating the Locust, jump jets, AND a Guardian ECM. Nice little ambush 'mech and really shines in a scout lance.

I agree the Spector is an incredible light 'mech and one of my tops from any era. I just don't know how they will get it in the game canon wise when nobody really knew that they still existed in like only a handful of units. Extremely rare 'mech at this time but, God I love that package. In my current campaign with my friends I have a Spector that removed the small laser and armor for a c3 slave unit. Also, moved me from the scout lance to the command lance.

Edited by CPTAmerica, 06 February 2012 - 07:08 PM.

#107 GenSheridan

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:08 PM

thank you all for the warm welcome.

being from an armor background i'd prefer to be on the assault end of things and let's see a preferred 'mech... a warhammer is always good... and who wouldn't want a battlemaster...

i also have an artillery background so supportive fire is acceptable as well, and a preferred 'mech for that would be either a cat or an archer. i've always been partial to a crusader too...

#108 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:14 PM

View PostCPTAmerica, on 06 February 2012 - 07:07 PM, said:

Also, moved me from the scout lance to the command lance.

Yea, I know the Spector is a really rare 'mech that might be really iffy lore wise, but I'm just going over any 'mech I like atm. Nice to talk about the different 'mechs even if they aren't a big option at the time. ;)

And the main page is not which lance you're a part of, but what role you'll be filling in game. Seeing as we don't know the exact number of 'mechs going onto the field (just because they can change it from now and release,) it's a bit hard to say who's in what actual lance. Fluff wise we can get that all figured out once we actually have the people to worry about it.

That's assuming you don't want to try the Commander role over the Scout, going to need plenty of both :P

View PostGenSheridan, on 06 February 2012 - 07:08 PM, said:

and who wouldn't want a battlemaster...

I certainly wouldn't...want to be on the opposite end of one :D

i also have an artillery background so supportive fire is acceptable as well, and a preferred 'mech for that would be either a cat or an archer. i've always been partial to a crusader too...

Catapult and Archer are both really solid, though I like the fact the Cat has jump jets. Nothing against the Crusader, just don't like it over the other two.

Edited by Jack Gallows, 06 February 2012 - 07:22 PM.

#109 L zard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 354 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:16 PM

What do you favor for a callsign.....'General' seems a bit much, LOL!

#110 GenSheridan

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:19 PM

oh yes, i have a lot of friends from other games that know me as that, but i was thinking of using turbo, but i'm not sure i like that... an old name i have used is Dogan so we can stick with that.

now all i gotta do is figure out the signature thing ;)

#111 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:21 PM

View PostGenSheridan, on 06 February 2012 - 07:19 PM, said:

oh yes, i have a lot of friends from other games that know me as that, but i was thinking of using turbo, but i'm not sure i like that... an old name i have used is Dogan so we can stick with that.

now all i gotta do is figure out the signature thing ;)

Right click on my sig, select view image. Copy the HTML then go to your profile and edit profile. Click on signature and use the "image" button on the text editor, insert the HTML and boom, picture in sig. :D

Edited by Jack Gallows, 06 February 2012 - 07:26 PM.

#112 GenSheridan

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:34 PM

something like that?? lol

#113 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:36 PM

View PostGenSheridan, on 06 February 2012 - 07:34 PM, said:

something like that?? lol

Maybe ;)

Welcome again the the Jolly Rogers!

#114 L zard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 354 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:36 PM

There you have it!

#115 CPTAmerica

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationTEXAS

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:38 PM

The whole Raven+Javelin thing plus the importance on information warfare has me thinking about running scout teams. Two 2-man teams moving independently. Finding a good complimenting matches would be crucial for it to work effectively otherwise, send the whole lance together or all individually. The teams idea allows: the two to support each other if things get heavy, for an extra pair of eyes to watch for scout hunters, for additional firepower when encountering lone scouts, for a broader, flexible, yet balanced view of the battlefield relayed back to commanders, and the ability to take advantage of combinations like a NARC + Heavy Missile Barrage style attack.

4 independent scout 'mechs will definitely cover the most area giving commanders the greatest view of the battlefield. This can help limit surprise avenues of approach by the enemy by running 1 out to each flank, 1 to the forward, and 1 to a high risk area or rear. This can also cause an unprepared enemy to split his/her forces too thin if the scouts are detected in multiple areas simultaneously not allowing them to know which attack lane we will be utilizing. Some downfalls are that the lance cannot support itself and scout hunting capabilities will be limited.

A single unified scout lance gives you the greatest control, firepower, and defensive capability but at a sacrifice of flexibility. The lance can easily eliminate other scouts short of another lance. They can give a commander a quick reaction force to bloody an enemy on its flank or occupy an enemy long enough for support to arrive. A full lance however, would be easier to spot by an enemy, give only a limited view of the battlefield to a commander, and if caught by an overwhelming force the rate of attrition would be extremely high for the company as a whole.

#116 CPTAmerica

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationTEXAS

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:49 PM

thank you all for the warm welcome.

being from an armor background i'd prefer to be on the assault end of things and let's see a preferred 'mech... a warhammer is always good... and who wouldn't want a battlemaster...

I have a Combat Engineer background. Was most involved with breaching and room clearing with an infantry unit but, one tour in Afghanistan had me doing route clearance. We used to call ourselves the Afghan Pinatas since we were wanting them to reveal themselves by drawing ambushes out and when they did, they shot at you like they were blindfolded. ;)

Jack,
That kind of reminds me that I still have my Leader's Smartbook Guide. If you ever want, I could maybe send you some tips from it. Just shoot me a PM or something.

Edited by CPTAmerica, 06 February 2012 - 07:51 PM.

#117 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:51 PM

There's also the consideration of mixing a few of the faster assault role 'mechs in with the scouts, or at least close enough to provide close support so that a scout could successfully disengage back to the main body if things turn south. Going to have to be careful with commander ability usage with the scouting data, the scout's mission is going to have to be able to be dynamic, so using one strategy isn't always going to work.

Can use the scouts to test the enemy, see how they react to feints and the like, or if they tend to get overly hungry for a kill and try to swam the scout. Having a rear guarding scout might prove beneficial until we can confirm the number of 'mechs on the field on their position, and should probably be our fastest scout so it can re deploy to a different part of the battlefield quickest should we need it, leaving the other 2-3 scouts ahead of the main body with an assault or two mid field of that ready to shift where is needed to support the scouts (be it downing another scout or making a scout hunter think twice.)

Scout's could be quite effective at goading enemies into specific zones, allowing amazing use of indirect fire or artillery 'mechs, or setting up ambushes should the enemy commanders like to over commit. This is all going to also depend on the terrain, city fighting may change the dynamics a lot; we don't know how much the buildings/etc are going to play with sensors or how good they are for hiding enemy forces compared to more open land. Cities also help negate the overall speed of a scout (to a point, doesn't completely do away with it,) so mobility is going to be a big plus.

Edited by Jack Gallows, 06 February 2012 - 07:55 PM.

#118 GenSheridan

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:55 PM

we really should find a better forum... i'm thinking like a chat room kind of thing...
anyway i'm out for the night. take care fellas

#119 L zard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 354 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:57 PM

Seeya, Dogon!

#120 CPTAmerica

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationTEXAS

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:01 PM

View PostJack Gallows, on 06 February 2012 - 07:51 PM, said:

There's also the consideration of mixing a few of the faster assault role 'mechs in with the scouts, or at least close enough to provide close support so that a scout could successfully disengage back to the main body if things turn south. Going to have to be careful with commander ability usage with the scouting data, the scout's mission is going to have to be able to be dynamic, so using one strategy isn't always going to work.

Can use the scouts to test the enemy, see how they react to feints and the like, or if they tend to get overly hungry for a kill and try to swam the scout. Having a rear guarding scout might prove beneficial until we can confirm the number of 'mechs on the field on their position, and should probably be our fastest scout so it can re deploy to a different part of the battlefield quickest should we need it, leaving the other 2-3 scouts ahead of the main body with an assault or two mid field of that ready to shift where is needed to support the scouts (be it downing another scout or making a scout hunter think twice.)

If it's there, the Grand Dragon would fit the bill nice with its speed. I would actually vote against it though because it pull power away from you punch. Anything more than what a team could handle should be left to the other lances anyways. Now, if there aren't any weight limits then heck, throw a couple of Dragons and Ravens together. Speed, firepower, armor, and electronics all together in one dynamic duo.

A rear guard like that will definitely need to be trusted as a strong "team" player. They may not get many chances to earn a whole lot of XP in the rear unless of course we get flanked. I'll do it though if you want to use that tactic.

Of course these are all just different tactics and yes, subject to change on the fly according to the scenario unfolding. Favoring certain tactics is okay as long as one is capable of knowing when to modify them. Strategies are more universal and very rarely change as they are broad goals.
Example (only example):
1) secure deployment zone
2) Identify / locate objectives
3) Identify & secure key terrain features
4) identify / locate enemy main body
5) eliminate enemy c3 systems
6) eliminate / achieve objective
7) extract
This is a linear strategy. Other strategic models are nonlinear in which goals may be achieved in any order but, they are again broad goals. Tactics are the ever flowing and changing set of actions used to achieve these strategies.

Edited by CPTAmerica, 06 February 2012 - 08:17 PM.

16 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 16 guests, 0 anonymous users