228 replies to this topic

#101 WerewolfX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 501 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:29 PM

View PostStormwolf, on 17 February 2012 - 12:38 PM, said:

Okay, I'm back and I'm going to explain a couple of things here.
Let's start with a few basic things:

1. Mechassault was never the successor to Mechwarrior 4.
Mechassault is its own line in same way how Mechcommander is its own line. The Mechwarrior line has always translated atleast the basics of the boardgame (yes, even Mechwarrior 4 does this). The first two Mechassault games exist on consoles merely because Microsoft wanted to have titles for Xbox that draw a lot of players like the Mechwarrior and Mechcommander games did before them. Phantom War is the only exception.

2. The license stagnated with Mechassault.
Yes you read it right, Smith and Tinker got the license back from Microsoft because they left it stagnant after the last Mechassault game. And to explain a couple of things about the license here, Fasa originally licensed the first 2 mechwarrior titles to Activision and they made millions upon millions of dollars with just the MW2 games (which are to this day hailed by many to be the best Battletech games of all time). However the license was shifted to Microprose because of delays at Activision, Mechwarrior 3 was never as successful as Mechwarrior 2 but still got quite a following.

After this the license was moved to Microsoft for Mechwarrior 4. Mechwarrior 4 rivals Mechwarrior 2 in many areas, it got several expansions and became very widespread. However, Fasa folded in 2001 leaving the license for electronic publishing rights with Microsoft. It was only a year later that Mechassault was produced so that Microsoft had a extra title for their then new Xbox console to compete with other consoles. Mechassault was eventually no longer interesting enough to be a Xbox only product, so it was licensed to Majesco Entertainment for the Nintendo DS with mixed success.

So in essense, the big sellers here were MW2 and MW4. Calling MW2 and MW3 trainwrecks is quite frankly ignorance.

And for more information on the general Battletech license and how it hopped around, watch this:
http://thefoundary.b...battletech.html

3. Calling Mechwarrior fans are elitist snobs
It was the mechwarrior fans who made electronic license worth investing in, never the Mechassault fans. The Mechassault fans were merely lucky that Microsoft held the license at a time they were desperate for titles to compete with the Playstation 2 and Gamecube.
Mechassault was catered towards the audience that prefered fast pased action to story and substance. I'm not saying that this is a bad genre, but I think that it's a waste of a universe that is extremely fleshed out and mature.

The Mechwarrior fans want to play in the Battletech universe with all its facets and quirks. There are many factions with a great deal of history and important personalities. The MW4 fandom got introduced to the Fedcom civil war for instance and are familiar with events and mechs from this timeperiod (Uziel, Fafnir, Templar, etc). Throwing all these things out will leave only a shallow game that only has a few mech names in common with the sourcematerial.

Mechassault could have just as well been its own universe, but Microsoft wanted to draw in the Mechwarrior and Mechcommander crowds for sales. The "elitist snobs" are depended upon for sales.

4. Mechwarrior Online and Mechassault 3
There is also some good news. The massive interest in Mechwarrior Online also paved the way for Mechassault 3, so we all win here. We all get to pick the games we want.

And for some clarification, I don't hate Mechassault or its fans. I merely think that Mechassault missed out on a ton of things that would have greatly enhanced the experience.

I'm WerewolfX and I approve this message.

#102 Atlas3060

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 661 posts
  • LocationFederated Suns

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:31 PM

View PostFireNova, on 17 February 2012 - 12:23 PM, said:

Unfortunately, Dihm, its the comments that so many hardcore BT fans make about....

*polite cough*
Hardcore BT fan here, those types are "grognards".
People who refuse to see anything past the first boxed set they played when they were kids.

Grognards eat your minis, eat your game CDs, and scare puppies, they might also steal candy too but that isn't verified.

They come in many flavors: 3025,3050,Civil War, The-Jihad-didn't-happen, Oh-god-Dark-Age-Sucks, etc.
Even the video games have their own flavors.

"OHHHHHHHHHHHH SUCH AND SUCH MECH SHOULDN'T BE ALLOWED IN GAME BECAUSE IN SOME TEXTBOOK THAT WAS MADE DURING THE 80S IT SAYS SO"

This particular grognard moment makes me giggle, thanks for supplying ;) .

If they follow the books that religiously they should remember that in the novels there were 'Mech games that were commercially available but not as realistic as military sims. So chances are in 3050 there's a MA:4,000 or a MWO version 3,500 maybe even a Mechwarrior 5K *shrugs*.

The difference between a hardcore player versus grognard is attitude. I for one won't jump for joy at a MA:3, not that I hate the title it just isn't my cup of tea. However if it brings in more folks all the better. We're already looking at MWO, Mechwarrior Tactical Command, and a Mechwarrior Tactics. Combine this with the board game that has been spawning numerous sourcebooks, more fun stuff for the table top, and the fact that novels are returning in a epub form of sorts (Blitzkrieg series) this makes 2012 the Year of the 'Mech. So bringing in a Mech Assault game just means more ways to hook people into 'Mech stompy goodness.

Good on ya fans of MA! Happy to see another title come back.

To the console grognards: those that basically pray that the lore elitists die off from old age, that isn't helping your case and honestly I hope you enjoy your games regardless of canonicity because see my earlier sentence.
To the lore/table top/etc grognards: If people get pushed away constantly there won't be any new stories or experiences in the future.
To the other hardcore or even the casual Battletech/Mechwarrior/Mech Assault fans: Hey another game coming soon! Excellent!

Edited by Atlas3060, 17 February 2012 - 01:31 PM.

#103 Ghost

Com Guard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:31 PM

I think you all should calm down and focus on the fact that a new game just got "announced." Getting into yet another fight over who is the better fan is not a productive use of anyone's time.

#104 WerewolfX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 501 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:55 PM

But, it is amusing.

#105 CeeKay Boques

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:29 PM

View PostGhost, on 17 February 2012 - 01:31 PM, said:

I think you all should calm down and focus on the fact that a new game just got "announced." Getting into yet another fight over who is the better fan is not a productive use of anyone's time.

Ah, if I had a Mechwarrior Beta to play, I'd be playing that. Instead, I'm manipulating spreadsheets. Snore!

BTW, I dont' have a problem with MA. I liked 1. I hated 2. Just Red's "Old Guard" Bashing. He thinks its funny because he doesn't care. He thinks that people that care are weak.

The "But money and success for mechs is rad!" Argument. Cool. Maybe there IS enough money.

However, I want a Ferrari. Those aren't cheap, and not many people like them or think they're useful.

FireNova says "Dude, they're going to make a Honda SUV (MA) instead! Everybody loves those! They will make money, and money makes the world go round, dummy! Everyone wants a fuel efficient compact MiniVan!"

Ok, that's fine, but I want a 6 speed Ferrari that does 220mph. But if the MiniVans make the MOSTEST, BESTEST most wonderful MONEY, like you said, we'll all be in MiniVans.

And you know what Ferrari will start making?

Posted Image

http://www.libertiny...-build-minivan/

DOES THAT LOOK LIKE FUN TO YOU? ;)

So...yes. Money does make things happen. They also make companies like FASA die. Or that mom and pop coffee shop. Or the 10,000 small shops eatin by Wallmart and Target. So.. while I want you to get your game, the exciting world of pandering to the masses doesnt' get me excited like it does you.

#106 Stahlseele

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • LocationHamburg, Germany

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:36 PM

View PostJack Gallows, on 16 February 2012 - 04:25 PM, said:

Wait, so we know for certain that Tactics isn't a Mechcommander type game....or are you just assuming things?

Also, Mechassault 3?

/vomit.

Pretty sure.
MechCommander 3 would not be online enough in this day <.<

#107 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:36 PM

View PostTechnoviking, on 17 February 2012 - 02:29 PM, said:

Posted Image

Seems like a modified Mazda 3 with Ferrari disks and mask. *hides himself* ;)

#108 Red Beard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 845 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:02 PM

I like Technoviking.

#109 Dymlos2003

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,473 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:47 PM

I have a feeling all you guys expecting MA3 will greatly disappointed... Dunno why

#110 Tannhauser Gate

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1,302 posts
  • LocationAttack ship off the Shoulder of Orion

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:28 PM

Im ok with a new MA really. Lets those folks have their game and leaves MWO to the true fans of BT and MW.

Edited by LakeDaemon, 17 February 2012 - 04:31 PM.

#111 Red Beard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 845 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:06 PM

View Postdymlos2003, on 17 February 2012 - 03:47 PM, said:

I have a feeling all you guys expecting MA3 will greatly disappointed... Dunno why

I took a nap today and had a nightmare that the new MA was announced as a modile device game...ughh!

For the record, I highly doubt it!

Edited by Red Beard, 17 February 2012 - 05:07 PM.

#112 Cattra Kell

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,858 posts
  • LocationFredericton, NB, Canada

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:16 AM

Well, its not Mechassault (As NGNG kinda maybe knew) but it still looks interesting. ;)

#113 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:31 AM

Well that is interesting, and unfortunate... But hey, more mechy goodness is never a bad thing.

#114 Stormwolf

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:47 AM

Interesting, I think that they couldn't get the license to produce it as mechassault 3.

I'm thinking that Smith and Tinker didn't give out the license here to focus on MWO instead.

#115 Dr Killinger

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,236 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg, South Africa

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:53 AM

I was actually intrigued by the idea of MechAssault 3 to get my fix of Battletech until MWO releases. That said, I'm all for any kind of mechy goodness, but that trailer looks bad.

#116 Belial

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 359 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:57 AM

Coming into this topic a tad late, but oh well.

MechAssault 3, if it does indeed come out, will get picked up by me on the release date and the campaign will be finished within the first day. Then I'll try online. Basically, I have as much love for the MA series as the rest of BattleTech/MechWarrior. I never have understood the division and animosity between the two. But I guess that's what the previous five pages of posts is meant to flesh out...

/signs off

#117 LordKnightFandragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:02 AM

View PostCoffiNail, on 16 February 2012 - 01:43 PM, said:

this is the 4th though.

MWO, MW:TC, MWT and now MA3

Mw:TC? MWT? wada faq r those?

I could stand to see a Mechcommander reboot +D

I hope no more Mechassaults....MA was lame.,.,.,,

#118 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:05 AM

Nah, most (if not all) mech lovers of older generations are already signing under MW:O and the new generations picks Hawken. I can't see them succed with all those mechy F2P games coming out (MW:O, then Hawken, then probably new Mech Commander,...), especially because I think they are still under M$ which will force them to use GFWL and probably P2W. But it can be nice for a simple fun from time to time. ;)

#119 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:18 AM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 20 February 2012 - 09:02 AM, said:

We have Mechwarrior Online, as we all know

MWT MechWarrior Tactics, which we find out about tomorrow 1pm Vancouver time, Russ Bullock has said something like MWO and MWT will go hand in hand in some fashion..

MW:TC MechWarrior Tactical Command for t he iOS, only know a little on this so far

#120 Atlas3060

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 661 posts
  • LocationFederated Suns

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:28 AM

View PostDr.Killinger, on 20 February 2012 - 08:53 AM, said:

but that trailer looks bad.

Bad bad or bad 80's/90's good?

Although it will be a F2P Mech game, sounds intriguing.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users