And now a new MechAssault?

228 replies to this topic

#61 Trashguy

Rookie

• 5 posts
  • LocationIN, USA

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:52 AM

Only things about the MA games I didn't like was the fact my beloved Timberwolf was useless with Lvl. 1 weapons--if the gauss rifles were properly powered at the beginning, I would have enjoyed things a lot more. Then, they had to muck it up in MA2's multiplayer by not allowing the game players to choose which machines they wanted to run with; instead, you had to pick THEIR choices on the maps...ugh. But, having said that, I still had quite a bit of fun playing--and, thanks to those two games, I picked up MW4 Mercenaries in a combo pack and played on the Ronin server until my joystick crapped out on me!

Who knows? Chromehounds proved you could have quite the customization options in a console mecha game; here's hoping Day 1 Studios has learned a few lessons along the way from other games and ends up surprising us all! :ph34r:

#62 Red Beard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 845 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:12 AM

View PostTechnoviking, on 16 February 2012 - 10:31 PM, said:

You are uneducated, inexperienced, and wrong. However, there is only one of you, so you may stay.

You say there is only one of me? Wow, and you call ME uneducated. I am willing to bet good money that a new MA game will crush MWO in overall player base.

Otherwise, I would have to point out that you offer nothing to substantiate your claims.

No, I am right. It's not my fault the truth is hard to take. MW5 would have gone on to suck, and therefore finally put MW out to pasture. MS made a business decision and in doing so, kept BT alive for another handful of years until somebody had the balls to make a truly decent game. The proof is in the pudding and the pudding is the fact that the franchise is still alive, and mech gaming is now on a comeback. Thanks in large part, to the success of MA, the finest BT game out there.

It's alright though Viking, you can stay if you like.

Edited by Red Beard, 17 February 2012 - 02:13 AM.

#63 Stormwolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:03 AM

View PostRed Beard, on 16 February 2012 - 09:57 PM, said:

MWO is mechwarriors LAST shot at being anything more than a fanboys wetdream. NOBODY wants a boring, half-a**ed computer game that pretends to place a player in the role of a mech pilot.(MW2 and 3) Millions upon millions of people want an action game that highlights mechs.

I couldn't find a facepalm pic that was epic enough to show my reaction at reading this.

MW2 and MW3 were complete trainwrecks. MS SAVED MW, and most of you that are bitter about MA being made, and it's success, should pipe down. If they had not made MA, MW5 would have been the nail in the coffin. There has yet to be a truly playable mech sim. MW2 and 3 were cruel jokes on the world and I cannot even honestly count them as games. They were chores to play through. Action based mech games however, have been doing well, and the BT fans should be thankful that somebody saved their franchide with MA.

Chew on that!

Now this is just too easy to make fun of. ;)

I'll be back later with some factoids.

#64 Blackfang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 766 posts
  • LocationComing to a planet near you!

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:39 AM

Red beard, as much as we value your opinion I'd be willing to bet the vast majority of battletech and mechwarrior fans will probably disagree with your statements regarding mechwarrior 2 and 3.

#65 Polymorphyne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 489 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:43 AM

Yeah, most people love mechwarrior 2 and 3. To call Mechassault a good mechwarrior game is to insult mechwarrior- the entire point of battletech/mechwarrior is the relative realism of it. Its mechs look and behave like proper war machines, have proper weapons and ammo and dont go the silly route. (As opposed to macross or gundamn where the mechs are all humanoids with laser swords and can fire five billion missiles out of a mech that could not possibly contain more than 20 missiles)

The point of mechwarrior is its realism, that it is a sim rather than an arcade game.

#66 Burned_Follower

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • LocationDanielsville, Georgia

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:57 AM

Red Beard, thx for offering your opinion but i do have to admit:

The vast majority of BT/MW fans hate MechAssault for the same reasons hard core Vampire and Werewolf fans hate Twilight.

Edited by XxDRxDEATHxX, 17 February 2012 - 01:59 PM.
tsk,tsk,tsk....think harder

#67 itstheDog

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:00 AM

View PostXxDRxDEATHxX, on 16 February 2012 - 03:45 PM, said:

Yeah, i can see the MechAssault3 devs trying to explain their magical powerups...

"Uh, yeah. We were going to make a 3rd attempt at making a decent mech game....but then we took an arrow to the knee...by Chuck Norris."

lolololol

Holy **** are you twelve?

Edited by itstheDog, 17 February 2012 - 04:01 AM.

#68 Burned_Follower

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:01 AM

View PostitstheDog, on 17 February 2012 - 04:00 AM, said:

No i have what is called "a sense of humor". You should google it.

#69 Burned_Follower

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:06 AM

wait, is that your first post?....wowness

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that you are new to the MW/BT community. I can vouch for us and tell you that we're not the typical gamers of WoW. Most of us actually have lives and the majority of BT/MW fans i meet are in their 40's or older and actually have lives, wives and kids, etc.

This fact is one of the biggest things i love about MW/BT fans is that they tend to be a lot more mature than say...gamers on xbox live. And the more you explore this these forums the more you'll see how passionate we are about BT/MW. It's not cuz we're immature, it's just that we have extreemly good taste in TT and video games. WOOT

#70 Polymorphyne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 489 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:07 AM

Wait, you signed up and logged in to make that your first post?

#71 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:09 AM

First time in my life I agree with a Davion and disagree with one of my own. ^_^

Mech Assault is for Battletech as an alpha strike to the face from an assault is to a light mech. ;)

Edited by Adridos, 17 February 2012 - 04:17 AM.

#72 metro

• 2,491 posts
  • LocationSians Celestial City- http://capellanconfederation.com/

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:10 AM

stay on topic please. ;)

#73 Polymorphyne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 489 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:16 AM

First time in my life I agree with a Davion and disagree with one of my own.

You know what worries me more than a cappy disagreeing with me? A Cappy agreeing with me. Im nervous.

Anyways, to get back on topic: Id like to ask you mechassault lovers two things:
1# Do you like the powerups? Why? What do they add to the game? How do you justify them if you like them? Or do you agree with us that they are silly?
2# Ditto, for homing PPCs.

#74 itstheDog

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:17 AM

View PostXxDRxDEATHxX, on 17 February 2012 - 04:06 AM, said:

wait, is that your first post?....wowness

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that you are new to the MW/BT community. I can vouch for us and tell you that we're not the typical gamers of WoW. Most of us actually have lives and the majority of BT/MW fans i meet are in their 40's or older and actually have lives, wives and kids, etc.

This fact is one of the biggest things i love about MW/BT fans is that they tend to be a lot more mature than say...gamers on xbox live. And the more you explore this these forums the more you'll see how passionate we are about BT/MW. It's not cuz we're immature, it's just that we have extreemly good taste in TT and video games. WOOT

Mistake on my part.

Never found a community without it's fair share of the... well, you know.

#75 Kale Cytair

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 112 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:34 AM

Seriously? You MW/MC purists are like the PC fanbois. MA is what got me into BT/MW, and I still go back and play around every once in a while. I have the same issues with you guys that I have with the PC guys. Lay off a little. You don't like MA, we get it. You don't like Mech games on consoles. We get it. But last I checked, Steel Battalion did a way better job at simulating the feel of a giant stompy robot that pretty much anyone else out there. And it was *gasp!* on a console. I play the TT. My absolute favorite model is the Archer with hands. I play MW 4 because I couldn't find 3. I play MA 1 and 2 to this day. And oddly enough, I get along with both PC and console fans, because I refuse to believe there is only one way to play any game. You do what works for you. Don't look down on other people because they don't play exactly like you do.

Everything has its place. I'm a little upset that Bioware and EA are offering three different ways to play Mass Effect three, not to mention the addition of multiplayer. But, I'll give it a try, despite the fact that I'm more likely to say screw it and move on with the epic single player action. And you know what? I won't look down on anyone that likes the multiplayer. Or plays the action mode. Or plays the story mode. Just like I don't look down on anyone that prefers console over PC or vice-a-versa.

When all is said and done, we're all gamers in some form or another. Can't we just flipping get along?

#76 3Xtr3m3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 717 posts
  • LocationOn Your Six

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:39 AM

Not touching this topic with a Hachetmans hachet.

#77 Spooky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:53 AM

Not sure what's worse, MW4 or MechAssault.

Not that these games aren't fun, but they hurt as a MechWarrior (related) game.

#78 zymphor

• PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationMA.

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:27 AM

MWO is mechwarriors LAST shot at being anything more than a fanboys wetdream. NOBODY wants a boring, half-a**ed computer game that pretends to place a player in the role of a mech pilot.(MW2 and 3) Millions upon millions of people want an action game that highlights mechs.

MW2 and MW3 were complete trainwrecks. MS SAVED MW, and most of you that are bitter about MA being made, and it's success, should pipe down. If they had not made MA, MW5 would have been the nail in the coffin. There has yet to be a truly playable mech sim. MW2 and 3 were cruel jokes on the world and I cannot even honestly count them as games. They were chores to play through. Action based mech games however, have been doing well, and the BT fans should be thankful that somebody saved their franchide with MA.

Chew on that!

View PostRed Beard, on 17 February 2012 - 02:12 AM, said:

You say there is only one of me? Wow, and you call ME uneducated. I am willing to bet good money that a new MA game will crush MWO in overall player base.

Otherwise, I would have to point out that you offer nothing to substantiate your claims.

No, I am right. It's not my fault the truth is hard to take. MW5 would have gone on to suck, and therefore finally put MW out to pasture. MS made a business decision and in doing so, kept BT alive for another handful of years until somebody had the balls to make a truly decent game. The proof is in the pudding and the pudding is the fact that the franchise is still alive, and mech gaming is now on a comeback. Thanks in large part, to the success of MA, the finest BT game out there.

It's alright though Viking, you can stay if you like.

Jolly african american YOU TROLLIN'!

#79 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:31 AM

People should look at MechAssault games like they are some arcade game for the Consoles or Arcades in 3050+ That is how i always viewed it. It is not MechWarrior, and they were not trying to make Mechwarrior for xbox, ever. It was a design to see if t hey could bring Mechs the a new market and different crowd. Look Microsoft used the Battletech IP to promote their at the time brand new Xbox Live MP experience. MA is well liked among console players, Yeah the sim fans do not like it because it is not sim enough... it was not meant to be. Get over it. Enjoy another romp through the BattleTech universe and enjoy it. Be glad we are in the year of the Mech, and with luck this will bring MW and BT to their rightful place in the gaming universe.

#80 wyggles

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 23 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:23 AM

View PostCoffiNail, on 17 February 2012 - 06:31 AM, said:

People should look at MechAssault games like they are some arcade game for the Consoles or Arcades in 3050+ That is how i always viewed it. It is not MechWarrior, and they were not trying to make Mechwarrior for xbox, ever. It was a design to see if t hey could bring Mechs the a new market and different crowd. Look Microsoft used the Battletech IP to promote their at the time brand new Xbox Live MP experience. MA is well liked among console players, Yeah the sim fans do not like it because it is not sim enough... it was not meant to be. Get over it. Enjoy another romp through the BattleTech universe and enjoy it. Be glad we are in the year of the Mech, and with luck this will bring MW and BT to their rightful place in the gaming universe.

Yes, exactly. Mechassault is an arcade version for the consoles. It will not kill MWO because it caters to a different audience. I for one will play both, bacause I love Battletech, and want the franchise to succeed. I've played Mechwarrior since I discovered MW2 when I was nine (21 now), and had years of fun with friends on MA1/2.

Edited by wyggles, 17 February 2012 - 08:25 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users