228 replies to this topic

#81 Red Beard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 845 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:44 AM

View PostBlackfang, on 17 February 2012 - 03:39 AM, said:

Red beard, as much as we value your opinion I'd be willing to bet the vast majority of battletech and mechwarrior fans will probably disagree with your statements regarding mechwarrior 2 and 3.

I agree. Most would disagree with what I said about those games. I am one of the many that played it and ran away screaming. The few that stayed, (BT and MW fans) disagree with me wholeheartedly. And they are welcome to their opinions, as are we all. I have never liked sim games, but love the BT feel. To each his own.

#82 Dihm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:51 AM

Jesus Red Beard. The double posting multiple times in the same thread was bad enough, but you even managed to quad-post. Learn to multi-quote dude.

Cool for the console fans, another Battletech/Anime mash-up fanfic.

#83 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:54 AM

A new MA might give me reason to use my Xbox 360 for more than a dvd player and a media streamer.

#84 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:09 AM

View PostCoffiNail, on 17 February 2012 - 09:54 AM, said:

A new MA might give me reason to use my Xbox 360 for more than a dvd player and a media streamer.

And making toasts. ;)

#85 FireNova

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 258 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:10 AM

View PostRed Beard, on 17 February 2012 - 02:12 AM, said:

You say there is only one of me? Wow, and you call ME uneducated. I am willing to bet good money that a new MA game will crush MWO in overall player base.

Otherwise, I would have to point out that you offer nothing to substantiate your claims.

No, I am right. It's not my fault the truth is hard to take. MW5 would have gone on to suck, and therefore finally put MW out to pasture. MS made a business decision and in doing so, kept BT alive for another handful of years until somebody had the balls to make a truly decent game. The proof is in the pudding and the pudding is the fact that the franchise is still alive, and mech gaming is now on a comeback. Thanks in large part, to the success of MA, the finest BT game out there.

It's alright though Viking, you can stay if you like.

Eh, don't worry about the haters Red Beard. Sooner or later the hardcore will have to relinquish their fantasy dreams of seeing BattleTech stagnant and unchanging for the new generation (this IS 2012 last I checked not 1980). The pure fact there hasn't been another MW PC game since the MW4 game engine was released back in 2000 (10+ years ago :angry: ) just simply demonstrates that fact. The devs damn well know that with MW:O it MUST cater to new people and casual players or the game will flat out fail. The hardcore BT fans are aging and dying out slowly. Time is the greatest enemy to hardcore gamers regardless of what game is mentioned. New people will ALWAYS be the catalyst for growth, expansion, interest, and prosperity.

I mean....saying that newcomers and casuals do not have a place in BT/MW is like saying capitalism should remain flat, unchanging, unwavering in order to "stay true" to what people "believe" in. Its complete nonsense tbh. :o

Just give it time Red Beard. Its inevitable that the MW games of the future (or near future) will embrace a new era and new generation of people to something that we ALL love and hold dear: BattleTech/MechWarrior....in ALL its forms. ;)

Because, quite frankly, its as simple as this: "If you are not growing, then you are dying."

I know that the devs will wisely choose growth over stagnation. ^_^

#86 $imon Osis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 272 posts
  • LocationYour sisters house eating her cookie & drinking her milk

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:15 AM

i know that MA is no MW due to it being less simulation an more arecade style but i really liked both MA 1&2......thought part of that might have to do with the fact that on the "free for all" leader bords i was always some where with in the top 20 top players an in the "team deathmatch" i was normaly in the top 20-30 in the world, its makes a game alot more fun when your one of the top player in the world.....but i do really really really REALLY hope they improve on what MA 1&2 were back in the day, they were good for not being simulation style but they did have room for impovment

#87 acheronlv426

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:30 AM

Now I need to find copies of Mech Assault 1 and 2 and see what all the fuss is about.

#88 Rockhound085

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:43 AM

Yea I am not that depeserate for a new Mech to ride in, after all we finally have MW:O to look forward to

#89 WerewolfX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 501 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:58 AM

Truthfully I'm happy for another MechAssault. Why? and I'd never thought I'd ever agree with Red Beard (I still plan on legging and stripping your mech be it MW:O or MA3.) which that thought scares me to no freaking end. He doesn't like sims and bashes them relentlessly. To each his own.

ANYWAY the more publicity that this universe gets and is put into the limelight the better it is new news = new fans which equals interest and press. The more profit it has the potential to make, while I think they can find a way to get rid of powerups (Terrain control where you take a point and if you win move your mech into the mechbay to repair.) Customization (Would love it) and the ever present and awesome destructable terrain while keeping the pacing it would make for a great selling game.

God knows everyone is getting tired of Call of guitarcrafthero 90: Some black ops that weren't covered in the past 20 sequels. It brings pace that the console world needs, and to be honest I need something new to tide me over on my 360 online now that BF3 has become a glitch fest.

#90 FireNova

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 258 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:06 AM

View PostWerewolfX, on 17 February 2012 - 10:58 AM, said:

Truthfully I'm happy for another MechAssault......the more publicity that this universe gets and is put into the limelight the better it is new news = new fans which equals interest and press. The more profit it has the potential to make......

#91 GaussDragon

• 2,183 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:24 AM

This is how I feel about 2012:

Posted Image

#92 pursang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts
  • LocationSurrey BC, Canada

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:31 AM

View PostWerewolfX, on 17 February 2012 - 10:58 AM, said:

Truthfully I'm happy for another MechAssault. Why? and I'd never thought I'd ever agree with Red Beard (I still plan on legging and stripping your mech be it MW:O or MA3.) which that thought scares me to no freaking end. He doesn't like sims and bashes them relentlessly. To each his own.

Good gawd this.

You people need to realize that BattleTech - and the 'Mech genre in general - is dying out. Every effort needs to be made to get as many new people interested in these games or we face the slow and painful disolution of what we cherish so. How well do you think a well-made MA game will do in comparison to a "regular" MW game? Games like MA are what I like to call "gateway games" they get people interested in the subject matter just enough for them to want to explore more of it.

All of you haters need to stop your needless disgust and hate for a game that you haven't even played yet. I get it - you're elitist desk jocks who sneer at the very concept of a game that sullies the sanctity of the establishment. The MA games were both excellent and well regarded, they also had very large fanbases. So before you turn your nose up to the very idea consider the dwindling number of people who are interested in MechWarrior, and then realize that games like MWO and MA III may be the last best hope for this dying breed. Realize that there is more to BattleTech then MechWarrior. Realize that just because you may dislike something that doesn't make it bad.

And finally realize that you're being childish and that you need to grow up - there is more to life then those four walls that you live in.

Signed:

pursang
MechWarrior Fanboy.

Edited by pursang, 17 February 2012 - 11:41 AM.

#93 FireNova

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 258 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:40 AM

View Postpursang, on 17 February 2012 - 11:31 AM, said:

Good gawd this.

You people need to realize that BattleTech - and the 'Mech genre in general - is dying out. Every effort needs to be made to get as many new people interested in these games or we face the slow and painful disolution of what we cherish so. How well do you think a well-made MWA game will do in comparison to a "regular" MW game? Games like MWA are what I like to call "gateway games" they get people interested in the subject matter just enough for them to want to explore more of it.

All of you haters need to stop your needless disgust and hate for a game that you haven't even played yet. I get it - you're elitist desk jocks who sneer at the very concept of a game that sullies the sanctity of the establishment. The MWA games were both excellent and well regarded, they also had very large fanbases. So before you turn your nose up to the very idea consider the dwindling number of people who are interested in MechWarrior, and then realize that games like MWO and MWA III may be the last best hope for this dying breed. Realize that there is more to BattleTech then MechWarrior. Realize that just because you may dislike something that doesn't make it bad.

And finally realize that you're being childish and that you need to grow up - there is more to life then those four walls that you live in.

Signed:

pursang
MechWarrior Fanboy.

;) ^_^

#94 Dihm

• 3,312 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:54 AM

All of you haters need to stop your needless disgust and hate for a game that you haven't even played yet. I get it - you're elitist desk jocks who sneer at the very concept of a game that sullies the sanctity of the establishment. The MA games were both excellent and well regarded, they also had very large fanbases. So before you turn your nose up to the very idea consider the dwindling number of people who are interested in MechWarrior, and then realize that games like MWO and MA III may be the last best hope for this dying breed. Realize that there is more to BattleTech then MechWarrior. Realize that just because you may dislike something that doesn't make it bad.

You had me until you got to this part. Then you just got insulting unfortunately. From my standpoint, I have no problem whatsoever with arcady iterations of the franchise. I just don't care for the weird, weird story that they apparently told that didn't fit in with the Battletech universe. Picking up weapon upgrades and health? (Edit: Ehhh, I guess that's acceptable for an "arcade" game, but it still seems weird). Giant spidermechs and halfmechs that crawl around and have "all five cores!" activated in odd boss battles? They added some weird stuff, which is why I tend to think of it more as fanfic than anything else. They took recognizable elements from Batteltech and used them in a mashup.

I'm all for more access points. I just want them to be accessing the actual Universe, not some mutation of it.

Edited by Dihm, 17 February 2012 - 12:01 PM.

#95 FireNova

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 258 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:23 PM

View PostDihm, on 17 February 2012 - 11:54 AM, said:

You had me until you got to this part. Then you just got insulting unfortunately. From my standpoint, I have no problem whatsoever with arcady iterations of the franchise. I just don't care for the weird, weird story that they apparently told that didn't fit in with the Battletech universe. Picking up weapon upgrades and health? (Edit: Ehhh, I guess that's acceptable for an "arcade" game, but it still seems weird). Giant spidermechs and halfmechs that crawl around and have "all five cores!" activated in odd boss battles? They added some weird stuff, which is why I tend to think of it more as fanfic than anything else. They took recognizable elements from Batteltech and used them in a mashup.

I'm all for more access points. I just want them to be accessing the actual Universe, not some mutation of it.

Unfortunately, Dihm, its the comments that so many hardcore BT fans make about....

"OHHHHHHHHHH MECHASSAULT IS SO BAD AND THOSE WHO LIKE IT LIVE IN BLASPHEMY AND SHOULDN'T BE ALLOWED A PART IN BT THUS THEY SHOULD PLAY COD OR HALO"
or
"OHHHHHHHHH CSJ IS DEAD THEREFORE PEOPLE SHOULDN'T CHOOSE SAID CLAN/FACTION BECAUSE IT WILL BE DEAD IN 10 YEARS TIMEWARP OR NO TIMEWARP DESPITE THE FACT THERE ARE SJ SURVIVORS"
or
"OHHHHHHHH ST. IVES SHOULDN'T BE PLAYABLE BECAUSE THE CAPELLAN CONFEDERATION WILL ABSORB ST. IVES IN THE ESTABLISHED CANON THEREFORE ITS POINTLESS FOR PEOPLE TO CHOOSE"
or
"OHHHHHHHHHH WE SHOULD FOLLOW CANON REGARDLESS OF WHAT ANYONE ELSE SAYS BECAUSE WE DON'T CARE ABOUT EXPANDING THE BT FRANCHISE"
or
"OHHHHHHHHHHHH SUCH AND SUCH MECH SHOULDN'T BE ALLOWED IN GAME BECAUSE IN SOME TEXTBOOK THAT WAS MADE DURING THE 80S IT SAYS SO"
or
"OHHHHHHHHHHH PEOPLE SHOULD BE PREVENTED FROM PLAYING AS CLANS BECAUSE IN ANOTHER TEXTBOOK THAT WAS MADE DURING THE 80S-90S IT CLEARLY STATES THAT YOU HAVE TO PASS A TRIAL IN ORDER TO HAVE THE MERE RIGHT TO CHOOSE A FACTION IN A VIDEOGAME"
or
"OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH LONE WOLVES SHOULDN'T BE BECAUSE EVERYONE SHOULD BE FORCED INTO A PARTICULAR FACTION/ROLE REGARDLESS OF WHAT NEW PLAYERS THINK"
or.....
ETC.

I understand what you are saying Dihm, but I think pursang is right on the mark here. Not everything is going to be perfect to CBT standards. I see no problem with BT offshoot type of games that may convince otherwise uninterested gamers to get involved in BT/MW. From a purely business perspective, if it can't bring in new people who may not like the ironclad rules/system that CBT demands of everyone, then the game will simply not sell. SELL. THAT is what needs to happen. BT/MW games need to SELL well in order to make a profit and therefore become successful and thus justify the reason for companies to invest/produce more BT/MW themed games.

So what if powerups are not "canon"? If it helps expand the BT universe to new minds/people, what is the HARM being done to the BT franchise as a whole?

Mutation or not, BT just needs more access points as you clearly stated, Dihm. That much I think we can both agree on. ;)

#96 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:32 PM

View PostFireNova, on 17 February 2012 - 12:23 PM, said:

Unfortunately, Dihm, its the comments that so many hardcore BT fans make about....

"OHHHHHHHHHH MECHASSAULT IS SO BAD AND THOSE WHO LIKE IT LIVE IN BLASPHEMY AND SHOULDN'T BE ALLOWED A PART IN BT THUS THEY SHOULD PLAY COD OR HALO"
or
"OHHHHHHHHH CSJ IS DEAD THEREFORE PEOPLE SHOULDN'T CHOOSE SAID CLAN/FACTION BECAUSE IT WILL BE DEAD IN 10 YEARS TIMEWARP OR NO TIMEWARP DESPITE THE FACT THERE ARE SJ SURVIVORS"
or
"OHHHHHHHH ST. IVES SHOULDN'T BE PLAYABLE BECAUSE THE CAPELLAN CONFEDERATION WILL ABSORB ST. IVES IN THE ESTABLISHED CANON THEREFORE ITS POINTLESS FOR PEOPLE TO CHOOSE"
or
"OHHHHHHHHHH WE SHOULD FOLLOW CANON REGARDLESS OF WHAT ANYONE ELSE SAYS BECAUSE WE DON'T CARE ABOUT EXPANDING THE BT FRANCHISE"
or
"OHHHHHHHHHHHH SUCH AND SUCH MECH SHOULDN'T BE ALLOWED IN GAME BECAUSE IN SOME TEXTBOOK THAT WAS MADE DURING THE 80S IT SAYS SO"
or
"OHHHHHHHHHHH PEOPLE SHOULD BE PREVENTED FROM PLAYING AS CLANS BECAUSE IN ANOTHER TEXTBOOK THAT WAS MADE DURING THE 80S-90S IT CLEARLY STATES THAT YOU HAVE TO PASS A TRIAL IN ORDER TO HAVE THE MERE RIGHT TO CHOOSE A FACTION IN A VIDEOGAME"
or
"OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH LONE WOLVES SHOULDN'T BE BECAUSE EVERYONE SHOULD BE FORCED INTO A PARTICULAR FACTION/ROLE REGARDLESS OF WHAT NEW PLAYERS THINK"
or.....
ETC.

I have read your entire post, because I have good manners, but I refuse to comment on anything because of the introduction.
Please, be more "civil" next time.

#97 FireNova

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 258 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:36 PM

Furthermore, I DO want to clarify that pursang is 200% on the mark here as well. The CBT lore elitists ARE being childish by CONTINUOUSLY DISCOURAGING new people who know nothing of CBT and ATTACKING MA fans and the game itself as a "blasphemous blight on the sanctity of CBT".

Think about it: How can BattleTech/MechWarrior be expected to expand when there are forces within the community HOSTILE to growth (new players) and HOSTILE to offshoot games to the point where if anyone even MENTIONS the words MechAssault they are almost IMMEDIATELY lambasted as "non-BT gamers"?

How can such lore elitists be described as "mature" when such an attitude towards fellow BT/MW fans (regardless of what game got them interested in BT/MW in the FIRST place) exists? ;)

#98 Stormwolf

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:38 PM

Okay, I'm back and I'm going to explain a couple of things here.
Let's start with a few basic things:

1. Mechassault was never the successor to Mechwarrior 4.
Mechassault is its own line in same way how Mechcommander is its own line. The Mechwarrior line has always translated atleast the basics of the boardgame (yes, even Mechwarrior 4 does this). The first two Mechassault games exist on consoles merely because Microsoft wanted to have titles for Xbox that draw a lot of players like the Mechwarrior and Mechcommander games did before them. Phantom War is the only exception.

2. The license stagnated with Mechassault.
Yes you read it right, Smith and Tinker got the license back from Microsoft because they left it stagnant after the last Mechassault game. And to explain a couple of things about the license here, Fasa originally licensed the first 2 mechwarrior titles to Activision and they made millions upon millions of dollars with just the MW2 games (which are to this day hailed by many to be the best Battletech games of all time). However the license was shifted to Microprose because of delays at Activision, Mechwarrior 3 was never as successful as Mechwarrior 2 but still got quite a following.

After this the license was moved to Microsoft for Mechwarrior 4. Mechwarrior 4 rivals Mechwarrior 2 in many areas, it got several expansions and became very widespread. However, Fasa folded in 2001 leaving the license for electronic publishing rights with Microsoft. It was only a year later that Mechassault was produced so that Microsoft had a extra title for their then new Xbox console to compete with other consoles. Mechassault was eventually no longer interesting enough to be a Xbox only product, so it was licensed to Majesco Entertainment for the Nintendo DS with mixed success.

So in essense, the big sellers here were MW2 and MW4. Calling MW2 and MW3 trainwrecks is quite frankly ignorance.

And for more information on the general Battletech license and how it hopped around, watch this:
http://thefoundary.b...battletech.html

3. Calling Mechwarrior fans are elitist snobs
It was the mechwarrior fans who made electronic license worth investing in, never the Mechassault fans. The Mechassault fans were merely lucky that Microsoft held the license at a time they were desperate for titles to compete with the Playstation 2 and Gamecube.
Mechassault was catered towards the audience that prefered fast pased action to story and substance. I'm not saying that this is a bad genre, but I think that it's a waste of a universe that is extremely fleshed out and mature.

The Mechwarrior fans want to play in the Battletech universe with all its facets and quirks. There are many factions with a great deal of history and important personalities. The MW4 fandom got introduced to the Fedcom civil war for instance and are familiar with events and mechs from this timeperiod (Uziel, Fafnir, Templar, etc). Throwing all these things out will leave only a shallow game that only has a few mech names in common with the sourcematerial.

Mechassault could have just as well been its own universe, but Microsoft wanted to draw in the Mechwarrior and Mechcommander crowds for sales. The "elitist snobs" are depended upon for sales.

4. Mechwarrior Online and Mechassault 3
There is also some good news. The massive interest in Mechwarrior Online also paved the way for Mechassault 3, so we all win here. We all get to pick the games we want.

And for some clarification, I don't hate Mechassault or its fans. I merely think that Mechassault missed out on a ton of things that would have greatly enhanced the experience.

Edited by Stormwolf, 17 February 2012 - 12:40 PM.

#99 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:41 PM

View PostFireNova, on 17 February 2012 - 12:36 PM, said:

Think about it: How can BattleTech/MechWarrior be expected to expand when there are forces within the community HOSTILE to growth (new players) and HOSTILE to offshoot games to the point where if anyone even MENTIONS the words MechAssault they are almost IMMEDIATELY lambasted as "non-BT gamers"?

I am quiet new, but no one is hostile towards me. Well, maybe a bunch of FRR's for my earlier "crush propaganda", some Mariks because of my point of view on purple and all Davions, which is self explaining. ;)

As for the Mech Assault, people just don't like too big changes. Look at yourself, how happy were you when you got to know your favorite Clan is getting eradicated?

#100 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:54 PM

Basically, Stormwolf hit it on the head with his last post.

Beyond that, I'll just reiterate what I said before. MA3 isn't the first mediocre or bad gaming title that wasn't Mechwarrior, ever to be made, and it won't be the last. If people want to enjoy it, more power to them, as long as I don't have to play it, and as long as we're clear that it's entirely separate from the BT universe.

As for the notion that somehow MA is somehow an "evolution" of the "old, stagnant" gameplay of Mechwarrior, give me a break. The idea that somehow the entire world has the attention span of a flea, and can't pick up a game with any level of complexity that takes a break of more than three seconds between LOLEXPLOSIONS!!!1! to actually hash out a story and put some complexity into a game, is frankly insulting, and projecting a superiority complex over those of us who want more nuance in our game than launching it, having instant action, and not having it die down for more than half a picosecond until we shut off the game, such that there can't even be enough of a learning curve to require taking four and a half minutes to figure the game out, or have more to the experience of a game than "I push two buttons and things blow up". There's more to gaming than turning on your machine and having explosions in front of you, and frankly, I'm sick of how the COD crowd now thinks they represent the end-all, be-all of gaming.

Edited by Catamount, 17 February 2012 - 01:13 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users