Are most ready for 1 shot kills in this game

224 replies to this topic

#161 Togg Bott

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 216 posts
  • LocationKansas City Mo.

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:04 AM

one shots,.... head shot ,light mech torso cores..they happen... not often but they do... accept it... make your repairs.. then get some revenge

#162 LordDeathStrike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,456 posts
  • LocationBanished from nearly every world of the Inner Sphere on suspicions of being an assassin.

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:33 AM

its only going to be lucky shots that 1 shot is my bet.

why? just look at mw4 arena fights, even if you turned cheats on so you could strip off all of your armor and heat sinks and pack 70+ tons of the heaviest weapon into a 100 ton assault, you had a hell of a time 1 shotting any moderately well armored heavy and up, even some mediums would be turning as you shot them and survived the alpha, and that was a cheating clan over wieght alpha.

3049 is weapons, dmg spread over tracking reticles, its gonna take a lucky shot with the ac to the head to do it and ac 20s aint exactly sniper rifles for accuracy. (if it drifts a meter left right up or down you either hit a shoulder, a chest or miss over its head)

#163 Lancehead

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:19 AM

If the damage and armour follow the tabletop game, I think we will have to accept that one-shot kills will happen.

A light mech is already in danger of getting headshot by a Panther (head armour is not always maxed in light mechs,) let alone from an Atlas.

And when the Clans invade, the chances our IS mechs get one-shotted jump tremendously. There are Clan mech designs that can really wreck a light or medium IS BattleMech, such as the Puma Prime, Mad Cat Alt A or Vulture Alt C. There is also the Loki Prime to headshot quite a few of us...

#164 Pht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:59 PM

View PostHyperius, on 22 March 2012 - 04:24 PM, said:

Yes it would because those are Third Person Shooters (TPS)

People routinely call third person shooters "FPS" games, as a catchall. Seems most aren't that particular about the classification; and regardless, even if we use the first person/third person distinction, virtually every FPS/TPS game has the in-game avatar directly in control of whatever weapons are being used, which simply doesn't fit the MW genre.

Fair enough I guess but just because MW:O is sim heavy doesn't make it any less of an FPS.

Yes, it does, because the mechwarrior is piloting his 'mech, on a part of which involves indicating targets and putting his 'mech in a good position to hit those targets.

#165 Sassori

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBlackjack

Posted 24 March 2012 - 02:13 PM

Even lights shouldn't fold to one hit from a gauss cannon or an AC 20 unless it hits the head. Maybe an AC 20. Any light that lets them get caught by such a short range beast deserves to die tho.

#166 Fetladral

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 525 posts
  • LocationAsgard

Posted 24 March 2012 - 02:42 PM

a guass or AC 20 wouldnt take out a light in one shot. pretty close but not completely. probably the point where you could could kill the jenner or commando with machinegun or small laser. but then if the pilot is smart they would limit the enemies ability to hit their own center torso. run in circles around atlas with one arm facing the atlas torso centered and not facing the atlas. sure it limits your weapons to however many are on the arm but at least you PROBABLY won't die from the next shot.

#167 Strattus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 106 posts
  • LocationKazakhstan

Posted 24 March 2012 - 02:44 PM

View PostLordDeathStrike, on 23 March 2012 - 01:33 AM, said:

3049 is weapons, dmg spread over tracking reticles, its gonna take a lucky shot with the ac to the head to do it and ac 20s aint exactly sniper rifles for accuracy. (if it drifts a meter left right up or down you either hit a shoulder, a chest or miss over its head)

I agree, this is the key. I know there'll be guys who can pull this off, BUT it is complicated even more with 2 reticules for Arm and Torso mounted weapons!

#168 Nik Van Rhijn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts
  • LocationLost

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:16 PM

I'm quite sure there are people who will be able to pull it off on a regular basis. As long as we don't have 95% of people able to one shot alpha I can't see it's a problem. It's BT/MW, we all know it can happen, it's part of the game.

#169 Zervziel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 907 posts
  • LocationTharkad

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:24 PM

One shots won't likely happen....but then again who the heck comes out of a match in an absolutely pristine mech if they went up against veteran players? Everyone is going to accumulate damage one way or another. For heavies and assaults they're gonna hit their CLC alot slower than the lights and meds due to the decrease in armor. What I know I'm gonna see is someone in a light or a medium get nailed by say, a Hunchback and then cry about how OP the AC20 is instead of admitting they didn't keep their heads on a swivel.

View PostOliferklosov, on 23 March 2012 - 12:13 AM, said:

i hope they have cougers. a hvy with ac 20 wont be able to use it against me.

Yeah, you keep saying that mate. I'll be laughing when ya get nailed. I never understand why so many people think their light mechs can miraculously dodge bullets. Go ahead though, your overconfidence just makes it easer for the rest of us.

#170 Hyperius

• PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 25 March 2012 - 04:54 PM

View PostPht, on 24 March 2012 - 01:59 PM, said:

People routinely call third person shooters "FPS" games, as a catchall. Seems most aren't that particular about the classification; and regardless, even if we use the first person/third person distinction, virtually every FPS/TPS game has the in-game avatar directly in control of whatever weapons are being used, which simply doesn't fit the MW genre.

Well they shouldn't because then they'd be wrong. By the way how am I not in direct control of the weapons? I press the fire button on the keyboard and the weapon fires. Just because I'm not a soldier holding a gun doesn't change that. Even in other more traditional FPS games the avatar your controlling still has to pull the trigger on the gun, it's the same here except your pressing a button on a command console. And another thing, doesn't the entirety of the mech count as a weapon? So wouldn't that mean that your avatar, the mechwarrior, is in direct control of that weapon?

View PostPht, on 24 March 2012 - 01:59 PM, said:

Yes, it does, because the mechwarrior is piloting his 'mech, on a part of which involves indicating targets and putting his 'mech in a good position to hit those targets.

Yes just like a soldier indicating targets and moving his gun into a good position to shoot them. I still fail to see how this makes it not an FPS. Like I said before it's first person and I'm shooting at things. The game just also falls into the genre of mech simulator. MechWarrior isn't special, it doesn't deserve it's own special distinction to set it apart, and it certainly doesn't belong to a genre all on it's own. Not saying it won't be a great game but I see nothing genre defying here.

#171 FinnMcKool

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,600 posts
  • Locationunknown

Posted 25 March 2012 - 05:00 PM

one shots cool, everyone is gonna want an Urban!

#172 Lusankya

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 288 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 05:22 PM

I say that if someone is good enough to hit my cockpit with an AC20 or a Gauss round and get a one shot kill then so be it.

#173 John Talbert

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationWaterloo, Ontario, Canada

Posted 25 March 2012 - 05:33 PM

Being one shot is a reality.

I'll give you an example of how a light tank can and does work in World of Tanks.

I'll scout out the whereabouts of the enemy. I will at all times utilize the terrain and consider how cresting a hill will not only expose me but slow me down to the point where i can be nuked by artillery.

the same will apply here i figure. you play the mech and utilize its positives while minimizing its negatives.. eg light armament and armour.

I also have one word that trumps it all..

terrain.

that word alone means alot.. use it.. this game will require LOS. long range missiles etc still can't hit something behind terrain.

#174 Janus Mantzan

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:52 AM

I hope they keep one shot kills and/or cripples.

I hope they keep repair and reload for meeting up with either a dropship or an NPC resupply base and/or vehicle.

I hope they can build it into a tutorial section addictive enough to make it work.

In WOW, a level 60 or level 90 player can show up and one shot a whole town in a starting zone. WOW players hate that it happens, and they police it themselves in game, but it's not wrong, because those characters SHOULD be able to do it by that level.

#175 Cole Wilson

• PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:03 AM

Well, hitting pilot spot with something like gauss cannon should be lethal. Just a matter of skill, depends on a mech configuration and mostly it's like a trying to hit a needle's eye. Otherwise i see no point in one-shot kills.

#176 Behr

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:05 AM

The number of mech's in other games I have lost on the first turn due to Gauss, AC20, lucky shots are too many to remember. Hasn't stopped me from coming back yet. I think people have to accept the fragility of light mechs, and remember they are not designed to take hits, So don't stop to look, shoot, examine your belly-button...

Edited by Behr, 26 March 2012 - 09:06 AM.

#177 Steamroller Stig

• PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:18 AM

as long as its CT only I don't see an issue.

Edited by Steamroller Stig, 26 March 2012 - 09:19 AM.

#178 Max Grayson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationThe real dairy state

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:38 AM

I wonder when this topic was going to pop up. Couple things:

1) Alpha strikes should stay in game, period. If its a viable game mechanic it will be used you can not regulate it

2) As this will be a MMO against real live thinking teams, I cant wait until the first TT Fanboi trys to "win" the first match and runs out into the open and proceeds to get be oblitierated by the other team whos uses disiplined focus fire

What everyone needs to remember this will be a team game 15 on 15 (or whatever number it will be). I am sure there will be pre made or guild teams that will work very well together and will focus fire on one mech, do a team one shot on the mech and move on to the next target.

I pity those players that "OWNED" those nasty little NPC's and think they will be the hero in the match and proceed to rage quit when a well disiplined group of 4 mechs one shots the undisciplined NPC killing "king"

Edited by Max Grayson, 26 March 2012 - 09:39 AM.

#179 Chromoid

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 87 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:46 AM

Well, for me it's not so much the one or two heavy/assault mechs that I encounter in a light mech. They're so slow that if I get in close and circle, they're gonna have a hard time hitting me.

It's the three or four other mechs that pop up when I'm busy trolling an Atlas or Warhammer that really ruin my day.

#180 Ezekial Karn

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:46 AM

Ok one shot kills CAN happen such as was stated above if your ac20 hits a light mech.. well that light mech is either missing parts or is dead. The trick should be hitting it which was not hard to do in older mechwarrior games. The issue with running up on larger mechs in tabletop which has been ignored in the mechwarrior games was the physical attack from the larger mechs. Now in older mechwarrior games I recall trying PVP out a bit and battles were way to fast People were exploding 20 seconds in which to me was kinda lame. I always prefered the PVE element of those games and completing the missions. If its a bunch of one shot kills and who gets the drop on the person first / who has better connection and reflexes in a mech I wont be playing this game long. If I want to deal with that kind of gameplay I will go play my Xbox. What I am hoping for here is the ability to play in a persistant universe where me and my buddies can form a merc unit get contracts go out and kick some arse against NPC mechs and occasionally face Other merc units on missions if we choose to do so.

While I understand that isnt everyones cup of tea it does appeal to many people or the Mechwarrior games would never have been as popular as they were / are. My biggest issue with PVP is there are always people who cheat either with modded controllers or with some other nonsense hack/ plug pulling. I have seen in PVP mechwarrior matches where one salvo from a heavy mech has cored a fresh assult mech which shouldn't really happen in a game like this IMO.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users