373 replies to this topic

#141 Gremlich Johns

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:59 PM

So much problems. I have the Logitech Extreme 3D pro that I bought years ago and the Razer Nostromo (I had to replace my original Belkin n52)

I play the game just fine.

#142 Marric

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationWest Coast

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:39 PM

I am using a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro and a Razer Nostromo. I have movement and fire controls bound to joystick buttons with the speed, night vision, heat vision, power up/down, heat override, zoom etc on the Nostromo. I could probably put special weapons combos on the Nostromo also.

Seems to work great and I have never had a problem with the joystick. And is only cost 25 bucks for the joystick. The Nostromo was 100-125 or so.

Seems to work great so far. I may need to tweak my reticule movement speed, but I am statisfied so far. Maybe I am just ignorant of how much better it could be.

#143 DDM PLAGUE

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 151 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:22 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 23 October 2012 - 10:53 AM, said:

If you are having problems setting up your joystick, add the following to your USER.CFG file:

cl_joystick_gain = 8
cl_joystick_sensitivity = 0.75
cl_joystick_throttle_range = 0
cl_joystick_invert_throttle = 1
cl_joystick_invert_pitch = 1
cl_joystick_invert_yaw = 0
cl_joystick_invert_turn = 0
cl_joystick_deadzone = 0.1

The things you'll want to play with are:
cl_joystick_gain - The higher this value is set to, the faster a full throw of the joystick is going to move the reticule.

cl_joystick_sensitivity - The smaller this value is set to, the more sensitive your joystick will become. E.g. a slight throw of the joystick will trigger the movement. i.e. If you set this number to something big like 5, you'll smash the crud outta your joystick trying to get anything to move (which is funny in itself).

cl_joystick_throttle_range - This is a flag to tell your Joystick to have a middle STOP zone when the throttle is centered. Pushing forward makes you go forward, pulling back makes you go backward and putting the throttle in the middle will make you stop. I HIGHLY suggest you don't mess with this value. No I'm not going to help you with anything if you've messed with this value.

cl_joystick_invert_throttle - This will make sure that when you push forward on your throttle, you're going to accelerate.

cl_joystick_invert_pitch - When this is set to 1, you will look up when you pull BACK on the joystick. You will look down if you press FORWARD on the joystick. This is how airplanes work and how you should leave it unless you're some sort of demon spawn that does it backwards. If you are demon spawn, then set the value to 0 if you want to look the wrong direction when pressing forward or back on the joystick.

cl_joystick_deadzone - This is the amount of non-movement wiggle room when you're joystick is centered. The smaller you make this, the less wiggle room there will be.

NOTE:
Remember, turning a Mech (it's feet) is a DIGITAL (on/off) movement at the moment. This means when you press left or right to turn your Mech, it turns just like you're pressing the A or D key on the keyboard. Slight movements on the joystick react like a key press. We know this is not how sim players want it and it should be small movements = slow turns. The problem is, the fix requires a huge code update on Mech movement. This is something we cannot tackle at the moment but it IS going to be addressed. We just can't give you a confirmed date of delivery.

Any updates on the turn movement fix yet?

#144 CyBerkut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • LocationSomewhere north of St. Petersburg

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:13 PM

Leg Turning was made analog months ago. Scroll down in the MWO Options menu key/axis bindings list on the right side, and down near the bottom of the list you will see the axis bindings.

#145 Gremlich Johns

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:07 PM

Experiencing drift in one of your JS axes? Can't calibrate it like you used to be able to in XP?

Here's what you do for the Logitech:

On Windows 7, if you bring up your game controllers dialogue box, ie, the one that lists your controllers and has the buttons "advanced" and "properties" -- you can hold down CTRL and SHIFT and then click on the Properties button to bring up the older windows style calibration tool.

Make sure you don't click the setting tab yet, just click over to the test tab and THEN click back to settings and hit Calibration. Should help to re-calibrate the stick.

It works.

Edited by Gremlich Johns, 03 August 2013 - 07:51 AM.

#146 Maxarius

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:14 PM

Hi everyone - I could use a little help here.

I'm using a Saitek X52 Pro, created a user.cfg and added the following lines as suggested in the original post:
cl_joystick_gain = 8
cl_joystick_sensitivity = 0.75
cl_joystick_throttle_range = 0
cl_joystick_invert_pitch = 1
cl_joystick_invert_yaw = 0
cl_joystick_invert_turn = 0
cl_joystick_deadzone = 0.1

The problem: my throttle is now backwards -- at 0% I go full throttle; pushing forward slows me down.

I've tried changing cl_joystick_invert_throttle to both 0 and 1, but neither makes a difference. Even tried deleting the line entirely.

No profile is loaded through the SST programming software.

Oddly, if I also remove cl_joystick_throttle_range = 0 then the throttle switches back to the right direction. But I want that line in there -- I want my throttle to work like an aircraft throttle where 0% is full stop (not full reverse).

As a workaround, I split the throttle axis into bands through SST and assigned them to 0%, 10%, 20%, 30%, etc. It works, but I'd prefer native analog support if its possible.

I've been searching and reading various posts for the past few hours, so I think its time to punt and ask for help. Any suggestions?

#147 CyBerkut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:50 PM

I use my Saitek X-52 pro throttle, and have it working the way you wish yours to work.

The relevant lines in my USER.CFG are:

-- cl_joystick_invert_throttle = 1 //makes the throttle work in the right direction.
cl_joystick_throttle_range = 0 //makes the throttle work in (Forward/Neutral/Reverse) mode.

Note, the -- is a means of commenting out a line. In other words, you could completely delete:

Note also, there is more to the equation... The cl_joystick_throttle_range = 0 is modifying the analog axis that is properly designated in the Menu Options screen as the "Analog Throttle" Command ... which happens to be toward the bottom of the commands list, such that you have to scroll down to it... and do the binding in the JOYSTICK (third) column. If you have mistakenly done the binding in a different command on the list, that USER.CFG line will not affect the operation of your throttle controller.

The other potential problem that has bitten some people... If you have your Windows Explorer concealing file name extensions you could actually have the USER.CFG file really being secretly seen by the Operating System (and MWO) as USER.CFG.TXT, which will not be operable for affecting MWO properly. Notepad likes to save files as .TXT files. If you are seeing file extensions on file names, you may be seeing a file displayed to you as USER.CFG when it is actually being seen by MWO as USER.CFG.TXT and therefor being ignored.

#148 Hammerhai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 998 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:47 AM

cl_joystick_throttle_range=0 puts the stop in the middle position, so if your throttle is fully back you would then reverse,and pushing the throttle forward to the middle will indeed slow down the reverse, and then will accelerate forward as you continue pushing forward.
If you do not use this map a button on your throttle in order to reverse the acceleration axis if you need to go backwards.

A way to get around notepads .txt thing is to switch to file type all files rather than the default .txt before saving and then saving it as user.cfg. Be sure to include the .cfg or you will simply get a file called user which will also be ignored.

#149 FEK315

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 337 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:19 AM

I have a Corsair M90 that evilC helped me get up and running now I just need to hook up my Logitect 3d and I am ready!
One question...How do you control the throttle if your left hand is on the mouse and your right hand is turning the mech?

#150 C Johnson

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:34 AM

I tried adjusting the dead zone in the user.cfg since it's way too big (about 50%) but i can't get rid of it. I'm using a TM Warthog. Help!

#151 Loc Nar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:36 AM

I'm using a TM Warthog. Help!

I've got very a very advanced TARGET script (on the fly sensitivity adjustment, switchable from absolute and relative, sensible button mapping, a switch to flip from mouse to stick, etc) for the Warthog (HOTAS, not standalone) which you are welcome to if you like.

Unfortunately even the mighty Warthog is a fish out of water in MWO though, so I'm not sure how much I'll be 'helping' you. At least when you get tired of the abuse you have a good script to run it HOTAM (hands on throttle and mouse) with, in which case you will have a very nice setup. PM me if you want it...

Little technical details of getting a joystick to work is the least of the problems. The real problem is that MWO is coded for zero-order control (aka mouse inputs) and as such, a first-order controller like the Warthog will never be on even footing for manipulating reticule aim. If you want to learn more about why, I did a writeup on this a while back called Controls Demystified(?).

#152 HERO KILLER

Rookie

• 7 posts
  • LocationNorth Dakota

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:59 PM

Bought founders for $120 almost 8 months ago? Might get my first hour of gaming in pretty soon with my hostas and pedal setup! Maybe? Not playing around with files etc. When FULL joystick support comes out I will come back and play. I will check back around Thanksgiving.

#153 Alex Warden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts
  • Location...straying in the Inner Sphere...

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:18 PM

Thanks giving? this year? you are very optimistic

#154 FestungFaust

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:38 PM

Does the Saitex X52 Pro work with the game now?

#155 1st Lieutenant Nichols

• Pip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationRED RAIN MERCS [HQ]

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:42 PM

If only I had a Joystick

#156 VarietyOfCells

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 904 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationNYC

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:25 PM

Seems almost silly to ask about any further progress with better joystick controls after recent changes have been made to who PGI considers to be the more important audience.

#157 CyBerkut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:43 AM

View PostFestungFaust, on 21 August 2013 - 07:38 PM, said:

Does the Saitex X52 Pro work with the game now?

It's 'worked' for many months. How well, is in the eyes of the beholder.

As much as I wanted to play MWO (before they F'd it up with getting rid of the 1st Person View Only queue) with a HOTAS setup, and despite many efforts to tweak the settings, I still ended up using a mouse in my right hand.

I've been using a HOTAM (Hands On Throttle And Mouse) with rudder pedals. Saitek X-52 Pro throttle, with Saitek Combat Rudder pedals. Up until that last patch (to the mixed view queue), that is.

#158 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 01 September 2013 - 03:50 PM

cl_joystick_throttle_range - This is a flag to tell your Joystick to have a middle STOP zone when the throttle is centered. Pushing forward makes you go forward, pulling back makes you go backward and putting the throttle in the middle will make you stop. I HIGHLY suggest you don't mess with this value. No I'm not going to help you with anything if you've messed with this value.

So, what adjustment to that value should be used if one wants the stop zone to be somewhere other than the middle (e.g. pulling the throttle all the way back to stop & pushing the throttle all the way forward to reach full speed)? :)

#159 CyBerkut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:45 PM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 01 September 2013 - 03:50 PM, said:

So, what adjustment to that value should be used if one wants the stop zone to be somewhere other than the middle (e.g. pulling the throttle all the way back to stop & pushing the throttle all the way forward to reach full speed)? :)

I think it is a binary input to select between two modes, rather than an adjustable range.

But I might be mistaken.... Backup your USER.CFG, try values other then 0 or 1, and see what you get. I'd recommend trying something between 0 and 1, at least for starters.

#160 Heinzketchup

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 12:44 AM

for people who have probs with deathzone sensitivity buttons and so on - google for an app called joycur

but i think there is no need for - left hand stick = legs - right hand mouse = torso

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users