Thinking Of Long Range Weapons? Don't Do It!

69 replies to this topic

#1 GalaxyBluestar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,748 posts
  • Location...

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:35 PM

now with the flood of ecm atlas stompings and lights helping out close quaters battles have become a must. that's great considering the lag servers aren't fixed so lrms and anything else used at range have become more redundant than ever. if you suffered or suffer slideshow FPS during a tangle with 3 mechs running around you at close range, then step away from the game sir... step well away.

so either you become a medium laser boat, gear up on close range balistics or you'll find yourself a sitting duck whilst laser and ac10 etc dance around you whilst your long range lasers missles etc can do nothing in the midst of been shaken to bits and not being able to redlight anything. ecm is encourageing CQ battles more than ever and it's going to kill the diversity of mechs and tactics we see on the battle field. The biggest shame ever.

it may be a whingers post but seriously are we going to see mech warrior making lrms redundant and ppcs a joke? the icons that made the madcat and awesome the famed mechs they are... until today. COME ON! mechwarrior is unique for it's radar based gameplay, i'd never engauge a mech without seeing what it is or how many we're coming my way, that's how you'd be ambushed and ganged up on like heading into suicide lane. it was bad enough before with redlight pings 2o times a second but now, many chassis varients are becoming unplayable thanks to ecm.

so i'll keep playing with a spare moment or two, but the commando raven atlas stomping parties are going to get dull VERY quickly.

Edited by GalaxyBluestar, 04 December 2012 - 07:38 PM.

#2 MrPenguin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 1,815 posts
  • LocationSudbury, Ontario

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:36 PM

ECM don't block AC and Gauss shells.

#3 Ryvucz

Zunrith

• 2,839 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, Colorado

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:38 PM

As for PPCs...

http://mwomercs.com/...apon-balancing/

#4 GalaxyBluestar

• 3,748 posts
  • Location...

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:14 PM

View PostRyvucz, on 04 December 2012 - 07:38 PM, said:

thanks for that, funny i see the ppc's are becoming faster. not more powerfull like they should and the early idea of cooling them down wasn't neseccary which is good cause that's not happening yet. okay i'm being grumpy now, we'll just have to wait and see.

Edited by GalaxyBluestar, 04 December 2012 - 09:14 PM.

#5 GalaxyBluestar

• 3,748 posts
  • Location...

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:17 PM

View PostMrPenguin, on 04 December 2012 - 07:36 PM, said:

ECM don't block AC and Gauss shells.

well doesn't that just polarise the game and make alot of things redundant? cause clearly you're saying that's what i should use. it's good advice but the problem is that's what EVERYONE will do and the game becomes bland for it. i'm already on lasers cause ppc's are underpowered and lock ons for lrms were already poor, ecm makes it nearly impossible to be usefull now. everyone's really keen on just a CQ brawl not many of the ideals that mechwarrior gameplay once had.

Edited by GalaxyBluestar, 04 December 2012 - 09:19 PM.

#6 qlz19

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 61 posts
  • Locationnot sure, I am still trying to find myself

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:18 PM

learn to configure your PC properly so you don;t get problems while playing
then learn to play with the mechanics that are currently in game

#7 UnofficialOperator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationIn your head

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:19 PM

Imagine fast ppcs with 2.0 dhs & emp effects... :)

#8 LordBraxton

• The Formidable
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:25 PM

I had great success tonight with my cataphract

2LL
AC2
2SRM6

Try large lasers out, I swear they are actually pretty good

#9 GalaxyBluestar

• 3,748 posts
  • Location...

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:42 PM

yes large lasers are good i had to give up ppc's for them.

one point i'm trying to make is STOP RECOMENDING THE SAME STUFF!

why have lrms and ppc's when everyone tells you go with lasers and autocannons they're better. it's not mechwarrior with out these two weapons systems but they're being drilled into non exsistance cause everyone sides with something more powerfull and half the gear the game posseed is now a waste of space. it may sound like i'm against ecm but really i'm against making one thing good to outdo the rest. this game is turning into highlander, gonna be bad when it comes down to the last usefull things on the board ALWAYS doing battle.

View Postqlz19, on 04 December 2012 - 09:18 PM, said:

learn to configure your PC properly so you don;t get problems while playing
then learn to play with the mechanics that are currently in game

lag is a server problem you're suggesting i travel to a different country to stop it... don't make me laugh!

#10 INAPPROPRIATE BEHAVIOR

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 13 posts
  • LocationAZ USA

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:02 PM

I used my lrm boat tonight. First match they seemed off. I added bap to my artimis and got 4 kills and 3 assist theen 3kill and assists.Don't know if i was lucky or it was my team locking up their targets. See you on the field.

Edited by Dire Cat, 04 December 2012 - 10:03 PM.

#11 aspect

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:11 PM

Still rocking my 2xPPC2xGR K2. Still oneshotting commandos from full armor and blowing arms off most anything else.

*shrug*

#12 GalaxyBluestar

• 3,748 posts
  • Location...

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:11 PM

View PostDire Cat, on 04 December 2012 - 10:02 PM, said:

I used my lrm boat tonight. First match they seemed off. I added bap to my artimis and got 4 kills and 3 assist theen 3kill and assists.Don't know if i was lucky or it was my team locking up their targets. See you on the field.

that's good to know you're one of the few... very few. i've seen only 3 lrm boats in 2 hours of play and they struggle for hits then get flanked and die, i wish it was more so to see beagle probes, matches could be less predictable.

#13 MadcatX

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:16 PM

My LRM's work fine once I've got them tagged.

And with TAG range being buffed to 750m, I just might be able to go back to long-range support.

#14 paladin yst

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 238 posts
  • LocationTerra Inner Sphere

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:08 PM

Just slam ur lrms at 180, who needs lock lol, they travel in straight lines anyway, just use them as u would a crossbow

Edited by paladin yst, 04 December 2012 - 11:08 PM.

#15 Walk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:14 PM

View PostGalaxyBluestar, on 04 December 2012 - 07:35 PM, said:

now with the flood of ecm atlas stompings and lights helping out close quaters battles have become a must. that's great considering the lag servers aren't fixed so lrms and anything else used at range have become more redundant than ever. if you suffered or suffer slideshow FPS during a tangle with 3 mechs running around you at close range, then step away from the game sir... step well away.

so either you become a medium laser boat, gear up on close range balistics or you'll find yourself a sitting duck whilst laser and ac10 etc dance around you whilst your long range lasers missles etc can do nothing in the midst of been shaken to bits and not being able to redlight anything. ecm is encourageing CQ battles more than ever and it's going to kill the diversity of mechs and tactics we see on the battle field. The biggest shame ever.

it may be a whingers post but seriously are we going to see mech warrior making lrms redundant and ppcs a joke? the icons that made the madcat and awesome the famed mechs they are... until today. COME ON! mechwarrior is unique for it's radar based gameplay, i'd never engauge a mech without seeing what it is or how many we're coming my way, that's how you'd be ambushed and ganged up on like heading into suicide lane. it was bad enough before with redlight pings 2o times a second but now, many chassis varients are becoming unplayable thanks to ecm.

so i'll keep playing with a spare moment or two, but the commando raven atlas stomping parties are going to get dull VERY quickly.

Hi! Just because you aren't smart/good enough to engage in long range battles doesn't mean there aren't pilots out there who are. I suggest you re-evaluate your suggestions.

#16 xxx WreckinBallRaj xxx

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:14 PM

Well it's clear that they want to stop all long ranged combat. They hit the Gauss rather hard, buried LRMs entirely, and long range Energies already sucked hard enough to begin with. It's a brawler's game now. That's it. There's little reason to fight at longer ranges anymore. Stack up Medium Lasers or mid sized Ballistics and go shoot at 200-500 meters like everyone else.

They claim to want to make the game more strategic but their changes are doing the exact opposite of that.

Edited by Bluten, 04 December 2012 - 11:16 PM.

#17 Alexa Steel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 505 posts
  • LocationSirius VI-A, Free Worlds League

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:26 PM

View PostGalaxyBluestar, on 04 December 2012 - 09:42 PM, said:

yes large lasers are good i had to give up ppc's for them.

one point i'm trying to make is STOP RECOMENDING THE SAME STUFF!

why have lrms and ppc's when everyone tells you go with lasers and autocannons they're better. it's not mechwarrior with out these two weapons systems but they're being drilled into non exsistance cause everyone sides with something more powerfull and half the gear the game posseed is now a waste of space. it may sound like i'm against ecm but really i'm against making one thing good to outdo the rest. this game is turning into highlander, gonna be bad when it comes down to the last usefull things on the board ALWAYS doing battle.

lag is a server problem you're suggesting i travel to a different country to stop it... don't make me laugh!

You know, it wasnt that different in TT. Different folks use different weapons, to fit their playing style, alot of times people play in a similar way, thats why some weapon systems are more popular, or more easy to use.

HOWEVER that does not mean the weapons "left" are bad. ITs a matter of mastering the weapon and in MWOs case its not as easy as in other Mechwarrior titles, wich I like.

#18 VoltarDark

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 133 posts
  • LocationQuebec. Canada

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:27 PM

This is all ********. LRM weapon are still powerful evenly against ECM protected target. I play 20 games with a awesome with 2 lrm-15 artemis and my pug teams wont 85% of the match with me scoring in the top 3 where ECM was everywhere.

Just adapt and move closer to the fight.

Remember that you can direct fire your LRM by targeting the ground under your aim (zoom).

The game is now a lot better with ECM like it is and its not a matter of taste. Its not a brainless shouter for kid, its the thinking men`s game !

Try harder and succes will come i assure you.

#19 Ursh

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationMother Russia

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:32 PM

To be fair, over the last two weeks the game had turned into a lot of teams playing longrange snipers or lrm boats, and just sitting behind ridges. When you had two teams playing this tactic it led to extremely boring games for someone who likes a mobile battle.

#20 Vapor Trail

• 1,287 posts
  • LocationNorfolk VA

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:44 PM

View Postaspect, on 04 December 2012 - 10:11 PM, said:

Still rocking my 2xPPC2xGR K2. Still oneshotting commandos from full armor and blowing arms off most anything else.

You're telling me you've actually dedicated 45+ tons of a 65 ton mech to weapons, leaving twenty tons or less to engine, cockpit, gyro, internals, extra heat sinks, extra ammo, armor...

Holy...

There's a thin line between Genius and Madness... and you're camped squarely on it.

Edited by Vapor Trail, 04 December 2012 - 11:47 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users