Cicada 3M Build Ideas

83 replies to this topic

#21 Miaku

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:48 PM

I always toy with the idea of going ECM Cicada, then keep looking at how much better the hard points and armor rating is on the ECM Raven.....

#22 Lege

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 365 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:31 PM

I set mine up with 300XL, endo, 15x dhs, 4x MPL, ecm.
With speed tweak your doing 130 kph, which is plenty fast enough.

#23 ProtoformX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 436 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:14 PM

XL265(107KPH) from my Gausscat, 2xPPC, DHS, Endo, Ferro, +1DHS, then pump up leg armor and torso armor. I was doing **** for damage at first, but after 5 games or so, I'm getting a consistant 400 damage, and in good games I'm doing 650+. Not bad for a quick little sniper!!

#24 Wrenchfarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:47 PM

Just an update, so far my best success has been with the XL320 engine, 4MLAS, near full armour, and a couple of DHS. Very simple, and it lacks any kind of big alpha punch, but it is sustainable damage that is easy to land as you scoot around. Other builds that include autocannons and LLAS either encourage you to slow down (not great) or constantly manage heat or risk a shutdown (eek!)

#25 Ursh

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationMother Russia

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:49 AM

I run a pretty standard one most of the time.

340xl ES/FF
4x M-las
ECM
15dhs
more or less max armor

I've also tried out a config where I drop the engine down far enough to free up 10 tons for 2xERL-laser and a TAG. I use this when I'm running with a group that mostly consists of long-range mechs, so I can provide ECM cover for them and still get some damage in. I've also found that build frustrates people, because you're still so fast that you can pop up all over the place, nail someone with the lasers, then back down and reposition. Prevents a lot of the headshots and CT coring that is common with the Cataphract/Catapult snipers.

#26 Blark

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationMunich

Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:45 PM

View PostUrsh, on 25 December 2012 - 02:49 AM, said:

I run a pretty standard one most of the time.

340xl ES/FF
4x M-las
ECM
15dhs
more or less max armor

[..]

Same here: Exact Build

I've tried many different builds, but I keep coming back to this one:
Speed is life, so I always prefer max speed for lights and the pseudo medium cicada, but that does not leave many options for the rest of the loadout unfortunately; medPuls are to heavy and generate to much heat, small are a downgrade (except for the duration), Smpl work, but the lower range and dps don't compensate for the shorter duration imo; and ballistics are simply to heavy with the max engine.

#27 kilgor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 346 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:58 PM

Here's the ones I run

Engine STD 245
13 Double Heat Sinks
Endo Steel
Ferro Fibrous
1 x Large Laser
3 x Medium Laser
Guardian ECM

With the Elite Speed Tweak, I run at 109 KPH.

This is one I toyed around with doing as a Light 'Mech hunter.

Engine XL 240
15 Double Heat Sinks
Endo Steel
1 x Large Pulse Laser
2 x Medium Pulse Laser
Guardian ECM

Pulse lasers seem to do better against Light 'Mechs than regular lasers, especially the Large Pulse Laser.

#28 Flagrant

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:28 PM

My cicada has 2 PPC, the ecm, ams, and goes 114kph (no speed tweak). The mech is real good running to any friendly that is engaged and helping him out. As long as i never stray too far from the fatties, the mech is super fun.

#29 Zyllos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:54 PM

Pity those who use the crutch, ECM.

2x MBL
1x SPL
1x UAC/5 w/ 3 tons of ammo

XL300
FF
ES
10 DHS

Does plenty good against anything larger than a Raven/Jenner/Commando. Against Lights, it takes a lot of work trying to aim the weapons to get decent damage when those Lights just wield SSRMs for consistent damage.

Edited by Zyllos, 26 December 2012 - 01:54 PM.

#30 Blark

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationMunich

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:50 PM

View PostFlagrant, on 26 December 2012 - 01:28 PM, said:

My cicada has 2 PPC, the ecm, ams, and goes 114kph (no speed tweak). The mech is real good running to any friendly that is engaged and helping him out. As long as i never stray too far from the fatties, the mech is super fun.

I sounds like fun.. as long as no light is bugging you, I think I'm gonna give it a try.
Although I think about dropping ams for more hs: PPC CDA-3M .. not sure If I should drop one hs and push armor on the arms a little, after all, they offer some protection to the side torsos.

ps: damn.. sold my xl280.. got to try it with a xl295 from my raven CDA-3M

pps: damn.. that build is great fun, thanks for the idea! :P

Edited by Blark, 27 December 2012 - 06:40 AM.

#31 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,626 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:39 AM

View PostBlark, on 26 December 2012 - 11:50 PM, said:

I sounds like fun.. as long as no light is bugging you,

I run a similar Cicada but with ECM. Lets me snipe in peace pretty much all the time.

I tried the 4 x ML or MPL build that some people are posting but I found that setup inferior to my 4SP Hunchback. It has better armor, still kinda fast at 92 kph, and having the lasers arm mounted makes a WORLD of difference to me.

#32 Blark

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationMunich

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:55 AM

View PostSug, on 29 December 2012 - 01:39 AM, said:

I run a similar Cicada but with ECM. Lets me snipe in peace pretty much all the time.

I tried the 4 x ML or MPL build that some people are posting but I found that setup inferior to my 4SP Hunchback. It has better armor, still kinda fast at 92 kph, and having the lasers arm mounted makes a WORLD of difference to me.

I use ecm too as posted before CDA-3M ; have been playing it for the last 2 days, and it's epic fun imo.. with almost 132kph and ecm it is easy to get into sniping position easy and get out quick when people start noticing me.. shooting on the run is fun too, because it takes skill and is refreshing after playing with laser/srm builds for a long time.

ps: When you try the 4ml build, be sure to use the biggest engine; sure, the 4SP has more firepower, but It cant run 150+ ;)

Edited by Blark, 29 December 2012 - 01:56 AM.

#33 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,626 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:24 AM

View PostBlark, on 29 December 2012 - 01:55 AM, said:

ps: When you try the 4ml build, be sure to use the biggest engine; sure, the 4SP has more firepower, but It cant run 150+ ;)

Wasn't the lack of firepower. I couldn't get the hang of circling a target at that speed without being able to aim with my arms.

Had a similar problem with the Stalker. No arms + almost no torso twist = A dangerous mech as long as no one stands slightly to the left of where i'm facing....

Edited by Sug, 29 December 2012 - 02:25 AM.

#34 Mr Arigato

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:58 AM

konnichiwa warriors,
i am running my cic with:

xl300
4Mlas
uac5
ecm
lot of fun, the Uac5 is a sniper(and)machinegun.... only 1-2ton ammo

xl320
2Llas
2Slas
ecm
the 320er feels good and the lasermix has good range/heat
damage and heat is like 4Mplas

tested a lot yestersay.....
xl300
2ppc
ecm
working great..... less heat than i thougt

toughts:
meaby a xl280 with 3Llas have no reactor to test.
for aimmasters: 1ppc 1ac2 4Slas 3diverent weapons on a fast mech, too hard for me
lbx10 and 4Spl because i start to hate the little fast ecm streak raven/com with ts3 lrms

#35 Mr Arigato

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

thats what i run now

3x large laser
xl245 ECM DHS FF ES

second line mech for longrange fire and closerange finisher
the punch off the 3 largelaser is amazing, thanks too the torsomount and slow speed the aim is easy

#36 knight-of-ni

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,627 posts
  • Location/dev/null

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:22 PM

Lately, I've been playing a support mech role so I went with a smaller engine:

xl255
ECM
10 DHS
FF
ES
4 small pulse lasers
1 LBX 10 w/ 2 tons ammo

It's very hard to overheat.

At the start of the match I'll often hang out next to a larger mech. When the fighting starts, I am usually ignored. I'll use that as an advantage and blast the nearest mech in the face with my LBX.

The small pulse lasers do more damage over time than two medium pulse lasers and it helps deter light mechs.

Edited by knnniggett, 10 January 2013 - 03:23 PM.

#37 Parappaman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:05 AM

I'm lately having a lot of fun by using the Cicada in a way it wasn't meant to be used. Grabbed the chance to recycle a 255XL engine I bought for my Cataphract 4X to see what could be fitted with the additional weight savings. Went for a AC10, 4 MLs and 5 tons of ammo. ECM, DHS, Endosteel and FerroFibrous. Maxed out armor in the torsos, zeroed in the arms. No additional heat sinks installed. Group 1 is the AC10, group 2 are the chainfired lasers, group 3 are the simultaneously-fired lasers.

This build pretty much depends on the Elite skills to work, otherwise it will overheat and be simply too slow to do anything. And even with everything fully unlocked like on mine, heat will be a problem, and max speed barely reaches 110 KPHs.

First game in: I used it like I was playing before the engine downgrade, scouting and brawling lights. Got totaled within 2 minutes with less than 100 damage dealt. ****.

Second game in: I thought screw the lights, I'm a bug with a big honking gun. Stayed in the back line, brawling the larger guys when they came closer. Enemy components and ammo explosions like mad. 6 kills and 900+ damage, and ran out of ammo before the last enemy was engaged. I thought hey, lucky game, so went on another one. 4 kills, 900+ damage, once again lasted enough to use up all the ammo. And this happens consistently enough for me to recommend you to at least give it a try.

Critical hits is the name of the game. That AC10 simply loves to break stuff, and there is enough agility to not feel the pressure to do an all-out front assault alpha with a faster rate of fire. Needless to say, light mechs will usually eat you alive. But when you have the chance, you will have fun! :P

#38 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:15 AM

I run mine with:

3x medium pulse
tag
ams+1 ton ammo
ecm
xl300
endo
ferro fibrous
as many double heatsinks as will fit
max armor except on the "arms"

It's almost heat neutral, so as long as you dont get killed by raven 3L's or commando 2D's you can do a lot of damage.

#39 Devil Fox

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationThe Fox Den

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:19 AM

That is what I use myself... enough speed to be mobile, enough power to strip armour and make live miserable for anyone who tries to fight me. That ac10 build seems interesting... I know I also had a guass build I haven't really tested.

http://youtu.be/z-Vdc15XOwM

#40 knight-of-ni

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,627 posts
  • Location/dev/null

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

View Postepikt, on 16 December 2012 - 03:27 AM, said:

I run it with 300XL (a bit "slow", 120+kmh), 2 large lasers and 2 medium lasers. And ECM of course.
Not sure it's the best CDA-3M build ever, but it works ok with me.

Hey, thanks for the idea.

Previously I was running my CDA-2A with an ER PPC and four ML.

If there was an award for expertly shooting a PPC between the armpit or between the legs of a mech, I would have won that 20 times over. Got tired of running hot so I reconfigured my mech to the following:
XL320
ES
FF
10 DHS
two ML
two LL
Just a few points under max armor.

The mech runs much cooler now, and what a difference that made. I can hang back and snipe with the large lasers and still be effective up close if I have to. I did so well with this configuration I will probably do something similar with my CDA-3M.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users