Cicada 3M Build Ideas

83 replies to this topic

#41 Aw3som3ousPrim3

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:30 AM

I dropped down to a 300XL engine, and kept the UAC5 plus 3 MedLas. I have just the standard 10 Double Heat Sinks, and 3 tons of UAC5 ammo (I tend to not be a great shot and I love just churning out the rounds with it). If I can stay with the group, or at least around an Atlas/Stalker/Awesome, I can usually get a couple hundred damage in just from the enemy not focusing on me. Personally, I tend to focus on keeping the Light mechs off the slower, heavier mechs in my group, and then letting a few rounds fly at the nearest stationary target.

It's not the best, I definitely don't have the highest K:D in the world, but I enjoy running around and taking a few potshots here and there. Glad to see so many other people using the Cicada! For a while, I thought I was one of a very rare breed.

#42 Parappaman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:25 AM

It is indeed one of the least played mechs. I usually take it out for a ride only when I get bored by my Cataphracts. :D

#43 Febrosian R Gillingham

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 122 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:00 AM

View PostAw3som3ousPrim3, on 15 January 2013 - 12:30 AM, said:

I dropped down to a 300XL engine, and kept the UAC5 plus 3 MedLas. I have just the standard 10 Double Heat Sinks, and 3 tons of UAC5 ammo (I tend to not be a great shot and I love just churning out the rounds with it). If I can stay with the group, or at least around an Atlas/Stalker/Awesome, I can usually get a couple hundred damage in just from the enemy not focusing on me. Personally, I tend to focus on keeping the Light mechs off the slower, heavier mechs in my group, and then letting a few rounds fly at the nearest stationary target.

It's not the best, I definitely don't have the highest K:D in the world, but I enjoy running around and taking a few potshots here and there. Glad to see so many other people using the Cicada! For a while, I thought I was one of a very rare breed.

Been playing with a build similar to yours, but with ECM and an XL280, and also a CDA-3C with 2 ac2's and a med pulse laser. Fighting enemy lights is rough since you can't mount streaks and hitting them with ballistics is hard as hell. Its an incredibly fun build and doesn't SEEM like it should be all that effective but I've been fairly successful with it.

I've found going after the big mechs can easily put you at the top of the score screen - just stick with your big mechs until theyre all engaged, then run around behind and core the other team. If you can, use cover to chase down LRM boats and injured mechs. Always try to stay at the enemy's back, and use your useless-but-armored arms to soak as much damage as you can. Been commonly getting 3+ kills and 500+ a game if I play it right, almost noone bothers targeting a Cicada when theres something bigger to focus on. The only things you really have to worry about are lights and streakcats. Steer clear of them and your K:D should skyrocket.

#44 Rat of the Legion Vega

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bushido
  • The Bushido
  • 384 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:31 AM

I used to run a Gauss Cicada 3M with 245XL and 4 SML all the time. Was my favourite mech in the game, and I'd routinely take out half the enemy team with the thing. And this is long before ECM came out and made the 3M before.

Nowdays, it just doesn't seem as effective as it used to be. There's simply no room for the ecm. And the streak lights will get you every time (of course, they'll get any cicada every time but that's another story).

Couple of days ago I removed the gauss, upgraded the engine quite a bit and stuck in an LBX before reading this thread. Really works well, if used to hunt larger mechs as I used to do with my gauss bug. If they buff LBX some more, should work even better. I tried AC/10, and it certainly does more damage when it hits, but it's harder to land hits and it takes up an extra ton so I decided to stick with LBX.

Edited by Rat of the Legion Vega, 15 January 2013 - 04:34 AM.

#45 knight-of-ni

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,627 posts
  • Location/dev/null

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:42 AM

View PostFebrosian R Gillingham, on 15 January 2013 - 03:00 AM, said:

Been playing with a build similar to yours, but with ECM and an XL280, and also a CDA-3C with 2 ac2's and a med pulse laser.

I generally do much better in my other Cicada's, but ironically my single highest scoring match in the Cicada chassis was in a CDA-3C with two ac/2's and one medium pulse laser. 5 Kills and 3 assists. I was out of ac/2 ammo by the time it came down to that last Dragon. Fortunately for me that Dragon pilot was not the best aim. I got him via death of a 1,000 cuts with my medium pulse laser. I felt sorry for my teammates who had to sit and wait through all that.

Most of the time, however, I do much worse in the CDA-3C. I have not learned to reliably hit anything with my ac/2's while I am moving (even slowly) so this configuration is often a bit frustrating for me.

Last night I tried this:
one ac/2
one large pulse laser
300xl (?)

All I have to say is, don't do it! I don't know what I was thinking, but it is completely ineffective.

Up next:
one lbx10 w/ 3 tons ammo
one ML
300xl (or largest engine that fits)
ES
FF
DHS (not needed)

Looking further ahead, I may also try a configuration with an ER Large Laser and LBX 10. I'll have to go with a slower engine for that though.

#46 John MatriX82

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:05 AM

I too can't still figure out what to do with the 3M. I currently run it with xl 325, ferro, endo, dual mplas and dual mlas, as many dhs I can stuff and very low armor on the arms (and ECM of course).

However even with speed tweak any Raven 3L is going to bury me with SSRMs, unless I bring a 3L wingman with me that counters. And yet it doesn't deliver that much firepower either against slow enemies, not talking about vs lights, I can eat commandos, but average played 3Ls still beat me.

2A variant was a lot better with 6 mlas and 19 DHS (xl 300), but if you meet anything faster or you spot a Raven 3L you're dead in seconds and since it could be used only as a fast HBK-4P-like playstyle, I've sold it.

Maybe I should go suicide and try this
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6ce9c3ba1b5dead

Back in the days where I was exping a 3C, I used xl 255, 1 GR and 1 Mlas staying with the main group to snipe around and stay protected from light harassers.

Edited by John MatriX82, 15 January 2013 - 07:06 AM.

#47 Ivanzypher

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 94 posts
  • LocationManchester UK

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:12 AM

XL320
FF
Endo
DHS
ECM

3 Mlas
UAC5 w/ 2 tons

I've been tempted to try an LBX, as the UAC is hard to hit with when going 130kph, but don't wanna downsize the engine. All laser is probably more effective, but having that huge cannon on the front, and then no weapon in there just seems silly to me. The UAC is handy for harassing enemies from a distance though, also gives some nice punch when you sneak up behind an Atlas. It's just pants against other lights.

#48 Tyrask Hazen

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:33 PM

xl 320 do 129kph without tweek. 2large and 2med lasers 12dbl heat sinks thing is nasty man

#49 Phoenix Gray

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 615 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:01 AM

View PostEhrithane, on 24 December 2012 - 06:18 AM, said:

every engine I've equipped so far has benefited from the bonus. You can get a cicada up to 148 kph with its biggest engine and speed tweak.

If you get the speed bonus and then swap engines do you lose the bonus or does it just transfer proportionately. Example: if you get 148 with biggest engine and you swap down to add components/weapons/beercooler, do you still get the same percentage of boost on the new engine?

#50 Phoenix Gray

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 615 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:11 PM

Kilgore: "Engine XL 240
15 Double Heat Sinks
Endo Steel
1 x Large Pulse Laser
2 x Medium Pulse Laser
Guardian ECM

Pulse lasers seem to do better against Light 'Mechs than regular lasers, especially the Large Pulse Laser."

Are you satisfied with this rig's performance on the field? It's very similar to a build I'm designing (me, a bit more engine, plus tag, straight ML's) for a first build.

People keep saying the Raven blows Cicadas away. This should not be a shock, the Cicada design is literally centuries older. But like a P-40 or Wildcat pilot with a Zero, there are ways...

#51 Stingz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:50 PM

Bought it today, really liking it's performance. [Link]

XL 320 is enough to outrun most opponents, anything faster than you has ECM+Streaks anyways. M.Las for range, M.Pulse for accuracy at high speeds.(watch the heat, use M.Las to cool down)

Edited by Stingz, 30 January 2013 - 03:50 PM.

#52 I Just Ate Your Grapes Bro

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 153 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:44 PM

View PostPhoenix Gray, on 30 January 2013 - 09:01 AM, said:

If you get the speed bonus and then swap engines do you lose the bonus or does it just transfer proportionately. Example: if you get 148 with biggest engine and you swap down to add components/weapons/beercooler, do you still get the same percentage of boost on the new engine?

yes, the bonus is a pilot skill so will apply to any engine placed in that specific mech chassis. Each chassis that has speed tweak will always go 10%(i believe is the number) faster than any mech without it with the same engine in them, and pilot skills only need to be purchased once per mech chassis.

#53 Ophidian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 123 posts
  • LocationI HAVE NO IDEA WHERE I AM! SEND HELP!

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:48 AM

CDA-3M, Autocannon 10, 4 medium lasers, XL255 engine

This is my proposed build to be used as a sort of harrassing mid-range mobile sniper. I think the idea is solid, but running at only 103 kph can be a bit of a concern, so the build is still under consideration.

If it fails then....well, you cant go very wrong with a large laser/ medium laser combo.

#54 Stringburka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 597 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:51 AM

If you're not in it for hunting lights, consider being a crit-tripper; get an AC10 and a few medlasers, a decent engine, and act as a quick flanker/wing to heavier mechs. You can also quickly get from one fight to another, which is very useful should your team find itself spread out.

#55 Ophidian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 123 posts
  • LocationI HAVE NO IDEA WHERE I AM! SEND HELP!

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:08 AM

^ Ha! Ninjaed!

You can also do a Gauss Rifle with medium laser build, but I wouldn't recommend it as it goes even slower.

#56 Ravennus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:29 AM

Since PPCs are getting a buff next patch, I'm thinking of trying out something like this.... CDA-3M "Bzzzzt"

Hopefully the ER PPCs get a decent heat discount after the patch. Chain firing these could also do a good job of shutting down enemy ECM if you are a good shot.

I tried turning my Raven 3L into a long range ERPPC sniper, but I could only ever fit in 1 ERPPC without massive sacrifices everywhere else.

This 3M build is slower than usual, but at 113kph is still one of the fastest mechs out there.
The 2 ERPPCS will let you snipe from long range, with 2 SLAS as backup.
Armor is still nearly max, and I'm hoping that 12 DHS will be reasonable once the PPC heat buffs come online.

Edited by Ravennus, 31 January 2013 - 09:30 AM.

#57 Stringburka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 597 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:49 AM

I wonder how a cicada with 2xAC2 would work out as a long-distance harasser.

#58 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:24 PM

All I can say is how I run my Cicada 3m. I run with 4 med pulse lasers, double heatsinks, endo, ECM and the largest engine I can fit after that. If I shoot only 2 pulse lasers at a time, I cool down. I shoot all 4 when I have a good shoot or till I overheat and need to start cooling. And the lasers do have father range, though at less damage. The idea isn't to range some, but to sneak around using cover to get close.

I tend to do a lot of damage with this build, and kills. I actually find it so effective I have a 2A made the same way but is faster and cooler, just without ECM. Sadly the 2A doesn't have the same survivability as the ECM 3M. Sad how important one small piece of gear increases my survival rating so much. The 2A stat wise should be better to.

There is really few right our wrong ways to field a mech. It really depends upon what works for you in the end.

#59 StalaggtIKE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 2,304 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:28 PM

Here is my build: 4x mlaser + U/AC5 w/ 280xl engine. Very versatile as a recon, sniper or harraser.

Edited by StalaggtIKE, 31 January 2013 - 12:33 PM.

#60 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:29 PM

View PostStringburka, on 31 January 2013 - 11:49 AM, said:

I wonder how a cicada with 2xAC2 would work out as a long-distance harasser.

Not as well as you probably think. Had my 3C set up that way when ECM first came out and it did alright, but never great. Now that shake has been reduced it doesn't even really mess up targeting that much any more. I do find my 3c with an uac5 and a ppc seems to preform better, for me of course.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users