685 replies to this topic

#241 Aegis Kleais

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:04 AM

View PostThontor, on 26 December 2012 - 09:20 AM, said:

They have said they want to increase the pace at which mechs are put into the game to two per month, hopefully that happens sooner rather than later.

Alex already said he'll try to make sure that doesn't happen with the Orion:

emphasis mine

Good info, thanks.

Well I hope they can do what they boast. The Cataphracts stands now as a testament to what a rushed Mech might result in. Don't get me wrong, still a good looking mech, details, cockpit and all; but I'd have never have guessed that they would have put an arm traversal reduction in the game to compensate for what is ultimately a bad model. The Orion is the saving grace right now (max Heavy tonnage, great loadout abilities)... we just gotta wait til it gets put into the game.

I guess I waited months to get a good Heavy, I can wait a couple more to get a better one.

#242 Grey Ghost

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 661 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:03 PM

View PostAlex Iglesias, on 20 December 2012 - 11:02 AM, said:

anyway feedback duly noted, when it comes to the orthos i'll make some adjustments, try to keep cockpit size relatively small, nudge it a bit off center
Actually if you keep that cockpit design, I think it might look better keeping it centered. Off centered was a purely TRO thing wasn't it? I think all the miniatures have it centered.

Edited by Grey Ghost, 27 December 2012 - 12:04 PM.

#243 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:34 PM

View PostGrey Ghost, on 27 December 2012 - 12:03 PM, said:

I think all the miniatures have it centered.

All but the one from the starter set. So yes, they are centered.

#244 Aegis Kleais

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:56 PM

View PostGrey Ghost, on 27 December 2012 - 12:03 PM, said:

Actually if you keep that cockpit design, I think it might look better keeping it centered. Off centered was a purely TRO thing wasn't it? I think all the miniatures have it centered.

If the mech was symmetrical in design, I'd say 'keep it centered', but since it's not, I'd personally leave it up to the artist's discretion. The designs have been phenomenal to date, with the Phract arm clipping nerf being really the only pie on their face. (The 'all new mechs get HUGE head hitboxes' thing is kinda funny, so we'll see if they keep that tradition up as well, even though that gets patched relatively quickly). ;)

#245 Ramus McGee

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:42 PM

I look forward to seeing the Orion in action and a hero class Orion.I think most mechs should have a hero design,but that's just me

#246 Soldier4568

Rookie

• The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:45 PM

Love the way Mechwarrior always returns. Good job with the Battlemechs

#247 Jmb

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:15 PM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 21 December 2012 - 01:17 AM, said:

Actually, Kerensky did have his own special variant.

ON1-K (Kerensky): x2 MLas, x1 Gauss Rifle, x1 Snub-Nose PPC, x1 SRM-4
(source is RS:3050U-IS)

Stock ON1-K: x2 MLas, x1 AC/10, x1 LRM-15, x1 SRM-4

Calling BS on that so-called Kerensky variant. Last I heard, the snub-nosed PPC wasn't made until 3075 and there was no Star League variant. Not saying you're lying, just that this was nothing more than a fan made machine. Now if you were to tell me it was an ER-PPC, and had 11 Double Heat sinks instead, I could believe that easily.

#248 Shi no Kami

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:56 AM

View PostJmb, on 27 December 2012 - 10:15 PM, said:

Calling BS on that so-called Kerensky variant. Last I heard, the snub-nosed PPC wasn't made until 3075 and there was no Star League variant. Not saying you're lying, just that this was nothing more than a fan made machine. Now if you were to tell me it was an ER-PPC, and had 11 Double Heat sinks instead, I could believe that easily.

Snub Nose PPCs were rare but they were around at the time of the Exodus*, almost every mech that carried them including Falcons, Phoenix Hawks, and a few others were taken with Kerensky's Fleet. In 3067 the Draconis Combine resurrected the Snub nose design and put it to great use. WoB stole the designs around that time as well...

*Operation Klondike has multiple designs from the SLDF era that mount Snub Nose PPCs. The variants are the Royal SLDF variants.

#249 General Taskeen

• 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:10 AM

Mech Announcement 20: The Mackie

Pirate in welded together (and duct tape, its important) 200 year old Mackie, "AAAArrrrrr, lets get 'em lads!"

Edited by General Taskeen, 28 December 2012 - 08:11 AM.

#250 Rick Carter

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 38 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:40 AM

Looks like it has a big Cockpit.. Every AC-20 Catapult will oneshot it.. :lol: But looks really fantastic!

#251 King Arthur IV

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:39 AM

i really really want this mech!! mc ready!!

#252 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:18 PM

View PostJmb, on 27 December 2012 - 10:15 PM, said:

The same variant, with the same cited source, is also listed on the Master Unit List (which is maintained by Catalyst Game Labs, the current license holder for BattleTech).

Also, the same discussion was already conducted, on page 5 of this very thread. :)

-----

View PostOdanan, on 19 December 2012 - 04:43 PM, said:

Some sources say it has. Here.

View PostBOTA49, on 19 December 2012 - 05:18 PM, said:

I didn't think snub nose PPCs came around until the 3060's or so.

SN-PPCs are actually LosTech; they're explicitly mentioned in the old Star League sourcebook (on page 61) as having been developed under the reign of Jonathan Cameron.

The fruits of First Lord Jonathan's military renaissance began to appear in Royal units of the SLDF almost immediately. Improved 'Mechs, Headhunter Missiles, Snub-nosed PPCs, and countless new vehicles appeared, utilizing breakthrough research in such areas as energy and myomer technology.
However, the Clans evidently did not retain the technology and the IS doesn't re-invent them until 3067.

As far as a 3050 "Kerensky Tribute" Hero 'Mech:
Hypothetically, PGI could bend the canon a bit by dropping a ton of Gauss ammo (from two tons to one) to free up the tonnage, moving one of the FF criticals out of the Left-Torso to free up the space, and replacing the listed SN-PPC with a standard PPC.
It wouldn't be an exact duplicate Kerensky's version of the 'Mech, but it would retain the core concepts and the vast majority of the key attributes while still being substantially different from the stock ON1-K (unlike the Kurita rebuild; they found Kerensky's original 'Mech essentially stripped to just the skeleton, and rebuilt it as a stock ON1-K). ;)

Edited by Strum Wealh, 29 December 2012 - 01:18 PM.

#253 General Taskeen

• 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:53 PM

I'm more excited to see what the 3d models will look like for the variant with the LRM 20 in the left arm and the other one with an srm 4 in each arm. I hope they stick with the iconic look like some of the better Catalyst artwork with the missile tubes in a ring around the laser tube. When I came across the Smoke Jaguar Orion in MW3, I was like holy **** that thing is going to be mine, so I legged it and pretty much used it exclusively in the SP campaign.

#254 Jack Starborn

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 47 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:57 AM

LRM launcher seems poorly located. It should be mounted above, Now it looks like his left arm was sticking out of launcher. Last new mechs look worse compared to those available at the time of the closed beta

#255 LtPoncho

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Staff Sergeant
  • 198 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:29 PM

Should get it into the game and into players mech bays - no need to drag content releases out over 30+ days. Game is getting stale.

#256 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:16 PM

View PostDagger6T6, on 20 December 2012 - 10:21 AM, said:

oh you Canadians :P confirmed... Hero Mech piloted by Alanis Morrisette Posted Image

View PostAnyone00, on 20 December 2012 - 10:44 AM, said:

At the same time PGI will also introduce a mech piloted by her hated arch-enemy: Posted Image

View PostAlex Iglesias, on 20 December 2012 - 11:02 AM, said:

Did someone say wooooooood??? anyway feedback duly noted, when it comes to the orthos i'll make some adjustments, try to keep cockpit size relatively small, nudge it a bit off center, push the autocannon back a bit so that the right arm won't crash through it or need to have it's traverse reduced.

There is officially too much win in this thread. :lol:

#257 BarHaid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationMid-Cascadia

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:09 PM

Wow, seeing all the Assault talk going 'round, and no love for the Victor? I know we have the Highlander already, but when I think "jumping assault" I think Victor. Personally I think we'll get the Zeus. But if the Charger slips in instead, I will die happy!

#258 Pax Bellum

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 65 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:11 AM

Here comes the next hero mech .. Kerensky version.

#259 BarHaid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationMid-Cascadia

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:10 PM

Hmm... That makes the Victor's prospects a bit dim. That would also be why they added the lower arm actuator to the Dragon. Makes more sense now.

#260 Abrissbirne

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:33 PM

Actually, only the 3025 variant of the Victor had no lower arm actuator on the right - these had an AC/20, and that would not fit in. The later versions have a Gauss, and the arm actuator. And concerning the movement fields of the arms - lower arm actuators can roughly be compared to the upper arm muscles biceps and triceps on human beings. You can still move your arm horizontally if those are incapacitated. Not that well, but it works. Try it on yourself.
So, dear Victor fans, no need to worry. You still have a chance on your underarmed lighter assault mech whose only advantage it is to surprise everyone with his jump jets although every decent Mechjockey should know that.Forgot to add: You want a jumping assault? Ask for the Emperor.

Edited by Abrissbirne, 05 January 2013 - 03:36 PM.

14 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 14 guests, 0 anonymous users