Do You Want Real Clan Tech In The Game

233 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you want REAL Clan Tech (445 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you want unmodified Clan tech in MWO

1. Unmodified (Clan tech isnt meant to be balanced) (297 votes [66.74%])

Percentage of vote: 66.74%

2. Balanced (gotta make it fair) (148 votes [33.26%])

Percentage of vote: 33.26%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 John Norad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 524 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:32 AM

Both.

Unmodified and balanced by matchmaking.

That's the way to do it. Everything else is just bound to fail one way or the other.

#22 Deamhan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 484 posts
  • Location4 Wing Cold Lake

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:36 AM

Yeah, unmodified and balanced by matchmaking.

Though I would still use my Mad Dog for aesthetics reasons.

#23 DarkAlman

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:39 AM

it's supposed to be 8 vs 5

That's the balance.

The other balancing act is Clan Honour. Clan mechwarriors can only fight one mech at a time, until that opponent dies or runs away he can't engage anyone else. (Like anyone ever did that in the TT)

My solution is easy, if you engage more than one mech at a time as a clanner then you get no experience for the round!

#24 Warrax the Chaos Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 925 posts
  • LocationMyrror

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:40 AM

TT was never balanced but a PvP focused online game has to be. They are already balancing star-league era technology against the t1 stuff with the way IS DHS work, which I am personally fine with, and I'm certain they will do the same kind of thing with clan tech.

They don't have to make clan tech garbage to balance things, but they absolutely need matchmaking by BV. The star vs. lance thing will help too.

#25 MourningZero

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 80 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:40 AM

Keep clan tech broken, but saddle the clan pilots with zellbrigen rules. http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Zellbrigen

5 clan mechs who have to stick to honor codes or suffer huge penalties vs. 8 IS mechs who get to do whatever they want. I'd take that bet on IS.

We should have until May, 3052 before the clans start revising their use of zellbrigen.

#26 Sears

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 973 posts
  • LocationU.K

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:43 AM

I think when March rolls along you won't see the release of clan mechs. The planets in question that come under attack will be ones under PGI's control. You'll start seeing concept art like battle reports of mechs perhaps and then slowly Clan mechs will be released as if more of them have been salvaged. I like that idea rather than March coming along and everyone in the inner sphere suddenly has clan tech.

#27 verybad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:45 AM

Balance it through numbers. 5 to 8 seems like a good start ratio to me.

Don't have clan mechs on the same side as inner sphere mechs, and make the money you make less with them. (This will keep everyone and their smurf's from going clan all the time, because they won't be able to earn much money as clan. This gives clan somebody to fight (other than othe clan)

I want clan tech to be better like it is in TT, however Clan palyers shouldnt' get bonuses from assists, they should get PENALTIES from assists.

This is because clan are supposed to fight duels, not all out battles. They're a nutty bunch, and the tech is too high to let them fight without some negatives.

The reason they lost the invasion is because they didn't fight well as a team, they fought well as individual warriors.

#28 Hania

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:47 AM

View PostDarkAlman, on 21 December 2012 - 09:39 AM, said:

it's supposed to be 8 vs 5

That's the balance.

The other balancing act is Clan Honour. Clan mechwarriors can only fight one mech at a time, until that opponent dies or runs away he can't engage anyone else. (Like anyone ever did that in the TT)

My solution is easy, if you engage more than one mech at a time as a clanner then you get no experience for the round!

The clan honourable combat will never see the light of day in a game like this outside of pre-organised player run tournaments, contests etc. The engagement rules varied wildly within the invading clans themselves, wolves were more prone to working as a team to take down a strong opponent, while jade falcons would scoff at such a notion. I think unmodified clan tech balanced through match making is the best solution.

Let people who invest in clan equipment feel powerful, let them feel special but make them realise that they are a rare sight indeed and once invasion is in full swing and the production might of the Inner Sphere starts to levy its weight against them they will start to feel squeeze in a target rich environment.

Edited by Hania, 21 December 2012 - 09:48 AM.

#29 Alphawolf

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 96 posts
  • LocationChicago, Illinois

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:48 AM

Well here is my 2 cents, I agree they should hold off for 1 year before bring in the clans or at least 6 months. They need more time to get more content in and fix the net code issues and bugs. But in no way shape or form should they limit clan tech. Its suppose to be over powered by what ever margin TT is. Its bad enough they messed with DHS. That being said, the better question is how they impliment the Clans into the game. Who ever chooses to play as the Clans has to fight by Clan rules and has the full limits of TT rules for Clan Omni mechs (http://www.sarna.net/wiki/OmniMech) see the section for disadvantages. To make things more even Clans should have to deal with costs and lets say honor a points system to even get to choose a mech. They would have to spend both to request a omnimech of their choice or be forced to use a standard varient given to them from a general listing of mechs.

#30 Sears

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 973 posts
  • LocationU.K

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:52 AM

Also am I right in thinking you could have a timberwolf and due to it's omni pods could mount say four ultra AC 20s. Which is what 160 damage in one go?

Wouldn't matter how often they jammed nothing has 160 armour in one spot.

Imagine dual UAC-20 cats.

Edited by Sears, 21 December 2012 - 09:53 AM.

#31 Psychobob

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:53 AM

Well, I've held the belief for a while that they should introduce Clan Mechs, but make them all bots that show up periodically and kill everyone in a match :) leaving the match to end in a draw.

As for Mixed tech mechs... why not just use a hardpoint system. Say each IS mech can have maybe 1 or 2 clantech weapons (that would of course cost more than comparable IS tech)

#32 Jonas

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationHot Springs Ar.

I want to use Clan Tech. I wanted to match the TT game. I understand that it will cost 2 to 3 times as much as standard stuff and repairs will be costly but you get what you pay for. I posted a thread about how they need to have a black market for it and that there will be limited amounts to buy.

I mean will IS Mechs get OP yes but with in a month they be balanced out again because IS will be running Hybrid Mechs and Game wise by 3052 or so the IS is building new designs and upgrading weapon systems at a rate unmatched since world war 2. So embrace the tech Hybrid Mechs are in the canon.

I know there are some that feel hybrid Mechs are the bane of BattleTech. so maybe they need to lay down a basic server lay out one side that allows hybrid and one that doesn't,

One more thing we all shange the load out's of our Mechs to make them better or to match out play style removing the ability to adding Clan tech is just silly

#33 Thirdstar

• 2,728 posts
  • LocationIndia

View PostSears, on 21 December 2012 - 09:52 AM, said:

Also am I right in thinking you could have a timberwolf and due to it's omni pods could mount say four ultra AC 20s. Which is what 160 damage in one go?

Wouldn't matter how often they jammed nothing has 160 armour in one spot.

No pretty sure that particular scenario is quite impossible given the weight of 4 AC20s.

#34 Sears

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 973 posts
  • LocationU.K

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:55 AM

View PostThirdstar, on 21 December 2012 - 09:53 AM, said:

No pretty sure that particular scenario is quite impossible given the weight of 4 AC20s.

Still has 17 tons left, who needs a big engine, or armour haha. Still 3 would be dangerous

UAC20s, clan ones anyway weigh 12 tons right?

Edited by Sears, 21 December 2012 - 09:56 AM.

#35 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:57 AM

Clans should get reverse assists... each time they get an assist they should get a penalty.

#36 Viper69

• 4,204 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:58 AM

A few words..."battle value matchmaker"

#37 Warrax the Chaos Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 925 posts
  • LocationMyrror

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:01 AM

Another thing PGI needs to look at with omnimechs coming is some sort of system to deal with excessive boating. In TT, 8 of something would still have to make 8 separate location rolls so they wouldn't all hit one spot. Double armor compensates for the amount of boating we can do now, but it will be much worse with completely unrestricted hardpoints.

#38 Thirdstar

• 2,728 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:01 AM

View PostViper69, on 21 December 2012 - 09:58 AM, said:

A few words..."battle value matchmaker"

From what I understand that's not how the proposed ELO system works.

http://mwomercs.com/...79-matchmaking/

#39 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:09 AM

I highly doubt we'll see free to use omni tech. It'll be Prime, Alpha, Beta, etc as variants. Just as variants are handled currently with IS mechs.

I know some clan donkies will moo at this, moo really hard, cry and whine, but it really is for the best in terms of gameplay, so stop mooing you donkies.

#40 Cebi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 263 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:11 AM

Ok, most of you seem to think that giving IS greater numbers would help. But you aren't thinking about this... who in their right mind would choose to play IS?? Only you very few crazy RPers, normal players will want to run the baddest mechs out there, thus IS would be made redundant.

Clan HAS to be balanced 1v1 against IS.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users